1. Post #1
    (Feminazi) (Queen of the Furrys) (Girl Power!) (Massive Faggot) (Queen of the Diva's) (Women's right's activist) (The Classy Lady) (Bigger, Badder, Bronyer)

March 2010
    3,821 Posts

Welcome to the Corruption in Gaming Journalism thread V2! Here is the place to talk all about ethics in gaming journalism, and things closely related.

Gamergate statement (from KiA on reddit) :
    We believe that the current standard of ethics in the gaming industry is unhealthy to itself, and to gamers. We have taken notice to various conflicts of interest, and wish to address these in hopes that the gaming industry can change, in order to retain the trust of its concerned consumers.
    We believe gaming is an inclusive place, and wish to welcome all who want to take part in an amazing hobby. We welcome artistic freedom and equal opportunities for creators and creations. We condemn censorship, exclusion, harassment, and abuse.
    What is Gamergate?

Some general guidelines for discussion:
    - Verify rumors before posting them!
    - Try to use archive links for sites, don't give them ad revenue
    - Debate and discuss with an open mind.

Previous thread : http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1421478

Still updating thread as I post this, will be completed with more information soon. Anything else you feel necessary to add to the OP just post below.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner x 46Dumb x 15Funny x 4Disagree x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    28,320 Posts
    Ah, you quick dick.

I was just about to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    7,361 Posts
    Well, if Gamergate keeps up then it looks like we're going to start revving up those version numbers soon enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    3,138 Posts
    What happened yesterday: 8chan got its domain stolen after mass false claims from AGG, which caused mass celebration among the AGG crowd for censoring stuff, only for Frederick to transfer everything to the safer 8ch address, and Frederick managed to get his original domain back too at the end of the day. The AGG salt meter is predictably off the fucking charts now

Pictured: Frederick Brennan after getting his domain back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 24Winner Winner x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    All Plans Are Plan B
    September 2010
    2,718 Posts
    I know I didnít post much in the past thread but I wanted to thank you guys for helping me become aware of the real issue at hand. I will continue to follow this subject until the very end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 18Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,724 Posts
    I think one of the reasons why TB was so mad is because some people against GG are spewing some hate at his wife.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 20 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    April 2008
    4,451 Posts
    She's crashing their shares, with no survivors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 27Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    9,489 Posts

this is something not to take likely. Shit I meant lite-ly. >.<
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 32 (list)

9. Post #9
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    21,949 Posts
    gaymer gays

time for ethics in game industry episode 5, the sjw strikes back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    December 2009
    18,376 Posts
    They struck back, and it whiffed like a 95% chance shot in XCOM and missing.

Edited:

And they're in ironman mode, they don't get a redo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,439 Posts
    I was wondering when a version 2 would arrive. I didnt notice just how damn big the first thread was. Have for the most part just been lurking the thread unless i have something decent to add in. I always worry im miss understanding something important about this whole thing, even if i'm a supporter of the simple concept of "not being a cunt" to people. But hey, Rise from your grave, once more and all that. Altered Beast style.

So that Baphomet board on 8chan might be the reason for Anti-GG to be so irritated as of late, as well as 8chan getting shot down for a while. /GG/ has been getting the usual blame for everything even though Baphomet have (by the looks) stated they are really there to take the piss out of everything, a bit like old "for the lulz" /b/ board. At least thats the impression i got when i gave that board a quick look to see what people where on about. I'm not entirely sure about that boards "culture" but i gathered they found quite a gold mine of people to piss off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2009
    668 Posts
    Nathan Grayson being asked to be interviewed for the GG book. Not sure if this was posted in the old thread

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 51 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,724 Posts
    Edited: I was late.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    3,525 Posts
    Anti-Gamers still making themselves look stupid ,business as usual.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2007
    21,949 Posts
    what a horrifying blow to milo

And n

Edited:

fuckin wrekt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Zing Zing x 53Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SHITPOST IN POLIDICKS
    February 2007
    33,176 Posts
    Isn't Milo the guy who really hates gamers? Why would he write a book about gamergate?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Dennab
    December 2009
    18,376 Posts
    Isn't Milo the guy who really hates gamers? Why would he write a book about gamergate?
    He didn't hate them but never thought highly of them.

He's viewpoints changed because of Gamergate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    December 2012
    5,301 Posts
    Glad to see this thread back.

Let's continue fighting the good fight people :)

19. Post #19
    April 2007
    21,949 Posts
    hes now a gamer himself, he really loves postal 2 and counter strike

hes doing a AMA right now if you want to ask him a question

http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInActi...gate_book_ama/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,822 Posts
    I was wondering when a version 2 would arrive. I didnt notice just how damn big the first thread was. Have for the most part just been lurking the thread unless i have something decent to add in. I always worry im miss understanding something important about this whole thing, even if i'm a supporter of the simple concept of "not being a cunt" to people. But hey, Rise from your grave, once more and all that. Altered Beast style.

So that Baphomet board on 8chan might be the reason for Anti-GG to be so irritated as of late, as well as 8chan getting shot down for a while. /GG/ has been getting the usual blame for everything even though Baphomet have (by the looks) stated they are really there to take the piss out of everything, a bit like old "for the lulz" /b/ board. At least thats the impression i got when i gave that board a quick look to see what people where on about. I'm not entirely sure about that boards "culture" but i gathered they found quite a gold mine of people to piss off.
    /baphomet/ is more like 7chan's /i/ than any version of /b/.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    19,986 Posts

Namely, from "What a bunch of useless nerds" to "What a bunch of nerds I can use to attack people I hate"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 4Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    9,489 Posts

he need's to watch JOJO, then play some street fighter. I think he would get part of the, "gamer" demographic.
    I can't say what he needs to play to understand transsexuals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2008
    1,310 Posts
    Namely, from "What a bunch of useless nerds" to "What a bunch of nerds I can use to attack people I hate"
    He's a dick, but he's been pretty transparent about everything, which is more than a lot of people involved in this scandal can say.

Grayson's immediate actions after this whole debacle consisted of making his twitter private and refusing to talk to anyone about anything. Milo got confronted about his views on trans individuals and at least he fucking owned up to his words and actions, even if he's woefully wrong about everything. Even Tortilo had enough of a backbone to talk to TB and consumers, even if he did a lot of hand wringing and blame shifting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    February 2007
    33,176 Posts

uhhhhh no he thought they were more or less human garbage if you actually read his articles. They were at least as bad as the "Gamers are dead" posts, if not worse.

Did his viewpoints change because he admitted publically that he was wrong in the past and that video games and the culture that surrounds them are perfectly valid, or because he got a chance to ride the bandwagon going full-tilt into a crowd of liberal SJW's?
    hes now a gamer himself, he really loves postal 2 and counter strike

hes doing a AMA right now if you want to ask him a question

http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInActi...gate_book_ama/
    It's nice (and super convenient!) that he likes those games now and I don't mean to doubt his motives but has he ever walked back the several boneheaded articles he has written about video gamers in the past?

Are we going to give this journalist a an easy pass just because he happens to support our "side" of a hot scandal? Personally I'm still dubious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,019 Posts
    I don't trust Milo any more than I trust the people he is against.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

26. Post #26
    February 2007
    33,176 Posts
    He's a dick, but he's been pretty transparent about everything, which is more than a lot of people involved in this scandal can say.
    He's transparent with his politics because thats his forte, he is an e-pundit. I personally haven't seen any transparency regarding his conversion from being incredibly toxic towards games and gamer culture to embracing it. If you have anything please post it. Everything I've heard is second-hand "Oh yeah he apologized and did a Twitch stream so lets ignore the paragraphs upon paragraphs of shit-talking he did", because it would be inconvenient.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    7,219 Posts
    He's transparent with his politics because thats his forte, he is an e-pundit. I personally haven't seen any transparency regarding his conversion from being incredibly toxic towards games and gamer culture to embracing it. If you have anything please post it. Everything I've heard is second-hand "Oh yeah he apologized and did a Twitch stream so lets ignore the paragraphs upon paragraphs of shit-talking he did", because it would be inconvenient.
    If he genuinely changed his view on gaming I don't think we should give him shit for his past opinions. I'd do the same thing for an ex-AGG supporter who ends up supporting GG.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 11Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    January 2013
    670 Posts
    Just a thought, maybe some people are redeemable.

Besides if he tried to do a fast one on us we'd drop him as fast as we did King Of Pol.

He's seemed pretty genuine about his apology and unlike the SJWs hasn't been saying hypocritical things to contradict his apology. I'm not going to call him disingenuous until I see evidence he is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

29. Post #29
    February 2007
    33,176 Posts
    If he genuinely changed his view on gaming I don't think we should give him shit for his past opinions. I'd do the same thing for an ex-AGG supporter who ends up supporting GG.
    The problem is it's impossible to know if he genuinely changed his view on gaming. I'm not saying he still fucking hates gamers and video gamers but I, personally, think atleast some degree of that exists. Like okay, he likes Portal and Counter Strike. I have absolutely no reason to doubt that he is being sincere when he says this. Frankly the words he uses to describe games he plays for the first time make it seem like he really does enjoy them for what they are.

But I'm not going to so easily ignore the past like he wants other people to by seemingly not commenting on it. We have to take him for the sum of his parts, as it were. He is someone who wrote severely disparaging words about games and gamers on a conservative website then almost overnight decided that video games are cool and gamers are a great community who need support in their fight against the outsider leftists.

I don't think he is going to go back to shit-talking gamers, and I think he legitimately has fun with games. But I also believe he has an ulterior motive and is riding out Gamergate as long as he possibly can because the targets for pro-GG happen to be the targets of Breitbart and conservatism et al.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,466 Posts
    It comes up ALL the time, I'm not sure if you're expecting him to write an essay about it. He got interested in gamergate, he started playing video games and he changed his mind.
    I'm not saying you should believe anything you hear but giving people the benefit of the doubt is a good rule of thumb, and I've yet to see him say anything that makes me suspect he's faking it.

I'm not sure why I should care either, being a journalist is his job and the help he gave us is tangible and pretty fucking huge, it's not just idle talk. Meanwhile you've got people getting a salary from spending the whole fucking day on twitter begging for patreon money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

31. Post #31
    February 2007
    33,176 Posts
    Just a thought, maybe some people are redeemable.
    Never suggested otherwise.
    He's seemed pretty genuine about his apology
    Link to apology?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    January 2013
    670 Posts
    Never suggested otherwise.

Link to apology?
    I never saved the link so when I went to google it all I saw were a bunch of Anti links with headlines calling him opportunistic and such :V

Anyone else remember where he said it? I recall that he recanted the statements from a previous article where he insulted gamers.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,466 Posts
    I think it came up during the pakman interview too, but don't quote me on it

Whatever the case one thing I'm sure is that Milo has gigantic balls, the way he agreed to that debate on that feminist radio show and the way he handled that debate a few days ago, holy shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,114 Posts
    I'm genuinely excited for his Gamergate book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    April 2007
    21,949 Posts

rip irony
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 33Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    April 2008
    4,451 Posts
    he need's to watch JOJO, then play some street fighter. I think he would get part of the, "gamer" demographic.
    I can't say what he needs to play to understand transsexuals.
    Gender Bender DNA Twister Extreme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

37. Post #37
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    14,063 Posts
    uhhhhh no he thought they were more or less human garbage if you actually read his articles. They were at least as bad as the "Gamers are dead" posts, if not worse.

Did his viewpoints change because he admitted publically that he was wrong in the past and that video games and the culture that surrounds them are perfectly valid, or because he got a chance to ride the bandwagon going full-tilt into a crowd of liberal SJW's?

It's nice (and super convenient!) that he likes those games now and I don't mean to doubt his motives but has he ever walked back the several boneheaded articles he has written about video gamers in the past?

Are we going to give this journalist a an easy pass just because he happens to support our "side" of a hot scandal? Personally I'm still dubious.
    This was already stated emphatically in the last thread, if you'd bothered to read it instead of cherry picking shit that raises your hackles. Milo speaks for no one but Milo.

I speak for me.

etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    6,349 Posts
    I'm genuinely excited for his Gamergate book.
    I'd be more excited if I had more details on what he wants it to be. If it's just interviews, I'll be fine with it, but if he puts too much of an anti-liberal slant in it I'm afraid it wouldn't appeal to enough of an audience to actually inform the masses on what GG is about. I'd like to see a decent amount of contributions and opinions from people who aren't on any of the extreme ends of the political spectrum, or at least don't have ties to organizations that are. I'd really like to see a chapter or two co-written or with heavy contributions from Oliver Campbell, he's really passionate about GG (which may or may not contradict the "no political extremes" thing) and honestly it would be heavily beneficial for the mainstream masses (if they ever bothered to read this book) to see GG from the perspective of someone from the #NotYourShield crowd.

I'm still holding onto the hope that one day GG's reputation will be turned around and the mainstream media will finally report on it for what it is instead of what the opposition claims it to be. Milo's book could make or break that hope.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    4,209 Posts

rip irony
    It's almost implying that killing someone is criticism.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Funny Funny x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,114 Posts
    I'd be more excited if I had more details on what he wants it to be. If it's just interviews, I'll be fine with it, but if he puts too much of an anti-liberal slant in it I'm afraid it wouldn't appeal to enough of an audience to actually inform the masses on what GG is about. I'd like to see a decent amount of contributions and opinions from people who aren't on any of the extreme ends of the political spectrum, or at least don't have ties to organizations that are. I'd really like to see a chapter or two co-written or with heavy contributions from Oliver Campbell, he's really passionate about GG (which may or may not contradict the "no political extremes" thing) and honestly it would be heavily beneficial for the mainstream masses (if they ever bothered to read this book) to see GG from the perspective of someone from the #NotYourShield crowd.

I'm still holding onto the hope that one day GG's reputation will be turned around and the mainstream media will finally report on it for what it is instead of what the opposition claims it to be. Milo's book could make or break that hope.
    All that I know is that the book will actually set the record straight. Someone asked him "Have you faced any kind of pushback from peers due to your wish to write this book or #gamergate in general? I'm not talking about the blogger crap, but like people you work with and respect approaching you trying to get you to step away?" and Milo's response was:

Milo posted:
    Yes, of course. They don't understand why I'd write a book "defending misogynists." To which I reply: "The fact that you think that's what GamerGate is about is precisely why I'm writing it. And why you should read it." They will.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInActi...ok_ama/cno1rju
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 3Informative Informative x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)