1. Post #2921
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,267 Posts
    My laptop overheats frequently, what do you guys recommend in terms of like a cooling pad or something? I have no idea what's crap and stuff as far as that goes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Firefox United States Show Events

2. Post #2922
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,868 Posts
    My laptop overheats frequently, what do you guys recommend in terms of like a cooling pad or something? I have no idea what's crap and stuff as far as that goes.
    Rethermal paste the laptop, see if you can improve airflow. Often there's shitty grates or mesh in the way. I'm partial to the Cooler Master U2 and U3 depending on laptop size. You can position the fans exactly where they need to be, it's lightweight, and cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2923
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,599 Posts
    Are you having any issues with anything? Short of higher level rendering it shouldn't be giving you any issues whatsoever.
    This. Even an Ivy Bridge (previous generation) i5 is still really fast. If you have issues, it's most likely something other than your CPU simply being too slow.

And even then, the most cost-effective thing to do would be overclocking - costs you only the price of a cooler (and not even that if you already have a good one).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Edge Germany Show Events

4. Post #2924
    Okay, I thought I'd gotten this fixed, but it broke itself sometime in the past hour.

Updated my laptop (an Asus G75) from W7 to W10. The audio is just broken enough to be useless without being completely unusable.

If I don't have the "2.1 channel" enhancement turned on for the speaker device, I get nothing out of the "subwoofer" (which is what makes like 80% of the sound).

If I don't disable all enhancements (not just have none enabled - I have to do the "disable all" checkbox), it will work fine in the audio test, but actual apps will have zero sound. Firefox gives no errors, WMP says unsupported file type or codec, and so on.

I can get it to work for about an hour by uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, but that is NOT a sustainable solution.

Anybody have ideas on a permanent solution? Cuz otherwise I'm going to have to roll back to W7, and I actually like most of the other stuff W10 added.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

5. Post #2925
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,476 Posts
    Are you having any issues with anything? Short of higher level rendering it shouldn't be giving you any issues whatsoever.
    Physical Damage though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Edge Australia Show Events

6. Post #2926
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,868 Posts
    Physical Damage though
    Ah, that sucks. What happened/symptoms?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Vivaldi United States Show Events

7. Post #2927
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,476 Posts
    Ah, that sucks. What happened/symptoms?
    Got slammed out on the bench a while back in someone's rage
    Talked to Reagy a bit about it too during a gta session

Although it looks like I may have an opportunity soon to afford a decent replacement

8. Post #2928
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,868 Posts
    The CPU likely still works. And any new motherboard is fully compatible with it. So you can save ~$230

9. Post #2929
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,476 Posts
    The CPU likely still works. And any new motherboard is fully compatible with it. So you can save ~$230
    I'm asking for a product, not a compromise

10. Post #2930
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,868 Posts
    Well you can get this if you just want to literally buy your processor over again, or sub it for a 4790k if you want an i7.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $359.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-03 13:23 EDT-0400

11. Post #2931
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,476 Posts
    Well you can get this if you just want to literally buy your processor over again, or sub it for a 4790k if you want an i7.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $359.98
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-03 13:23 EDT-0400
    What I love about partpicker is that I can chuck in the local subdomain

Roughly the same price, even though the motherboard litterally doesn't exist

12. Post #2932
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,868 Posts
    Haha, forgot you were AU.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Centre Com)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($239.00 @ CPL Online)
    Total: $568.00
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-04 06:37 AEST+1000

Lower end board if it costs too much

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-...oard-z97g55sli

13. Post #2933
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    217 Posts
    Not sure if right place for this... Couldn't find anywhere
    Does anyone know how to achieve 1080p/60fps on a Sony Z3?

It has been done im assuming through a third party app, but cant find the app anywhere?

edit: Posted in android thread, however i'll leave this here just incase :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #2934
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,476 Posts
    Although, I checked out the Alternate 4790K
    Looks compatible with my current motherboard, as it is a LGA1150 socket

15. Post #2935
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,215 Posts
    how much do you think I can fetch for this laptop?

http://shop.lenovo.com/ae/en/laptops...tab-tech_specs

bought summer 2012, battery doesn't hold a charge anymore and the screen sometimes glitches out (problems with the connection I think) so I figure I'd try and sell it as a desktop replacement of some sort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Edge United States Show Events

16. Post #2936
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,671 Posts
    I got an EVGA 970 with a brand new PC build but my board came DoA. In the meantime while its out, I put most of my stuff into my old mobo, excluding HDD and CPU. I'm lagging worse on every game I play than with my old HD 8850. I think its because of my crappy stock CPU, but I just want to be sure, is it?

Edited:

its an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

17. Post #2937
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,868 Posts
    I got an EVGA 970 with a brand new PC build but my board came DoA. In the meantime while its out, I put most of my stuff into my old mobo, excluding HDD and CPU. I'm lagging worse on every game I play than with my old HD 8850. I think its because of my crappy stock CPU, but I just want to be sure, is it?

Edited:

its an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
    Wait, so if the 970 is being returned, you're using your onboard motherboard graphics right? Then yeah, things are going to run far worse than any GPU in the last several years.

18. Post #2938
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,599 Posts
    Wait, so if the 970 is being returned, you're using your onboard motherboard graphics right? Then yeah, things are going to run far worse than any GPU in the last several years.
    I think they meant they returned their motherboard and are using an old one (and CPU), not their GPU.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Edge Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2939
    Dennab
    July 2015
    250 Posts
    Is it possible that Windows only detect 7.5GB of a 8GB RAM kit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

20. Post #2940
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,599 Posts
    It shouldn't, and that particular number sounds rather strange.
    Open Resource Monitor and take a screenshot of the Physical Memory section in the Memory tab.

21. Post #2941
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2008
    6,828 Posts
    So my girlfriend was installing Windows 10 when it hung up and she restarted the PC. Now we go back into W8.1 and can't find the "Install Windows 10" thing in the taskbar. How the fuck do we restart the install?

nvm found it. use the "media creation tool" from ms
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome United States Show Events

22. Post #2942
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,795 Posts
    Is there some kind of way to build/make some monitor stand that would allow monitors to be switched quickly?

I am planning to get 144hz monitor for games, and keep my ultrawide monitor for browsing/work but I don't want to have it above the 144hz one.

Any ideas? (Placing 144hz beside isn't an option as I don't want to play with my head turned all the time and ultrawide wont fit on my desk and would look shit anyways if it did)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome Ireland Show Events

23. Post #2943
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,599 Posts
    You could mount one above the other, either with a wallmount or a multi-monitor stand.
    The latter are usually meant to carry multiple monitors horizontally in addition to vertically though, so you'd still have arms extending, and are pretty expensive.

Also going to be awkward though.

oops, didn't read

You could put one behind the other, and bring it to the front whenever you wanna use it, if you're desperate...

24. Post #2944
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,868 Posts
    Is there some kind of way to build/make some monitor stand that would allow monitors to be switched quickly?

I am planning to get 144hz monitor for games, and keep my ultrawide monitor for browsing/work but I don't want to have it above the 144hz one.

Any ideas? (Placing 144hz beside isn't an option as I don't want to play with my head turned all the time and ultrawide wont fit on my desk and would look shit anyways if it did)
    If you get two monitor arm mounts, you can just switch which one is front and center. That's what I do.

25. Post #2945
    Detect? Unlikely. Have usable? Certainly, if you have an integrated GPU that allocates 512MB to itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

26. Post #2946
    I am the Asian Ed Sheeran Rabbit - My sister
    June 2012
    5,101 Posts

At 6 seconds in there is some sort of blinking.
    The 'Go to address' arrow changes to the 'Reload page' arrow, and it's not possible to type anything or press enter when it does.
    How do I stop it from doing that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox Denmark Show Events

27. Post #2947
    Dennab
    July 2015
    250 Posts

28. Post #2948
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,934 Posts
    See "hardware reserved"
    I bet you have a processor with a built-in GPU, and your motherboard's BIOS is configured so it's permanently allocated around 512MB
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Denmark Show Events

29. Post #2949
    Dennab
    July 2015
    250 Posts
    See "hardware reserved"
    I bet you have a processor with a built-in GPU, and your motherboard's BIOS is configured so it's permanently allocated around 512MB
    Ah, thanks. Yeah, I enabled surround view.

Concerning that, my other monitor isn't getting input from mobo even if I have it enabled. I checked drivers and it said something like code 12.

30. Post #2950
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,599 Posts
    Are you not using a dedicated GPU? Because if you are, you need to connect that second monitor to your GPU also. Not your motherboard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Germany Show Events

31. Post #2951
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,868 Posts
    Are you not using a dedicated GPU? Because if you are, you need to connect that second monitor to your GPU also. Not your motherboard.
    Depends on the motherboard. Most modern motherboards can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #2952
    Dennab
    July 2015
    250 Posts
    I have an ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX

33. Post #2953
    I'm basically scarface, so line your bitches up so they can get a taste of my shlong.
    March 2007
    930 Posts
    Whats a good PST recovery tool? My outlook file decided to break and the official MS tools cant repair it... Really need to recover the data stored since it looks like the option for deleting messages from the server was enabled if it was 1 month or older

Nevermind tried a few commercial programs and they wont work... Welp this going to sting alot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #2954
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,871 Posts
    You usually have to have at least one monitor active on that GPU though.

Its a damn shame the OEM PCs at work don't support this. It would make quad monitor setups a cinch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #2955
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,868 Posts
    You usually have to have at least one monitor active on that GPU though.

Its a damn shame the OEM PCs at work don't support this. It would make quad monitor setups a cinch.
    I really need more than 2 screens at work. Even with 4 workspaces of 2 screens each I don't have enough space. I'm thinking of grabbing one of our zero clients with 256mb RAM and throwing something with just a WM on it for minicom. That way I can have a monitor dedicated to 4 console sessions at once. Maybe a second to use just a web browser for those Ubiquiti devices with completely unusable CLI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome United States Show Events

36. Post #2956
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,059 Posts
    I accidentally disabled (or unistalled) "hid keyboard device" from the keyboard section at the device manager, thing is, my keyboard wont work now and even while i still have "standar ps/2 keyboard" in the same section, "hid keyboard device" is gone and for good since i cant bring it up again with any way. Does someone know what could i do? Thanks https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...415a906752afcb

Edited:

Seems like the keyboard works on the menues previous the win7 start, it wont even work on safe mode

Edited:

Forgot to mention im on a laptop and that the function keys still work, but the rest of the keys doesnt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Chile Show Events

37. Post #2957
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,267 Posts
    I'm looking for a windows laptop that is capable of playing fallout new vegas. What should I be looking for and what should I avoid?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Firefox United States Show Events

38. Post #2958
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,287 Posts
    To anyone that has a h100i and corsair link can they post a fan curve that isn't ear deafening the latest corsair link for windows 10 changed the curves and now quiet mode is loud and so is default.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events

39. Post #2959
    May 2013
    150 Posts
    So I was updating to Win 10 I'm assuming it's finished, but my monitor keeps going into
    Sleep mode right when I plug in my VGA cable anyone else have this issue?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events

40. Post #2960
    Lord of Sealand
    May 2014
    257 Posts
    Okay, I have a question about SSD's. More specifically this one: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb...mb-s-300k-100k
    Is this worth the extra price tag over a normal 2.5" SSD?
    Also, would I be able to use this in my current gaming rig?

My current rig:
    I7 2600k
    Asus P8 Z68 V-Pro
    16gb DDR3 1600Mhz
    1TB WD Black
    250GB WD Velociraptor (system drive, may be on its way out)
    GTX 770
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Firefox United Kingdom Show Events