February 2006
    30,273 Posts

new expansion confirmed!

Teamspeak:
    IP: 85.236.100.32:11827

PM Theportalmaster or Psychojake for join permissions

(old standard thread header)

The Story

In the 250 years since the events of Guild Wars, the Elder Dragons have awoken. As massive forces of nature, these dragons have wrought destruction across the continent of Tyria, forever changing its face and its inhabitants. The player is thrown into the midst of this destruction. Each character has its own biography which affects the story and how non-player characters react. As the game progresses, organizations can be joined and situations approached in different ways; these influences change the experience of the story as it advances towards the final confrontation with the Elder Dragon, Zhaitan. There are therefore millions of different story permutations possible.

The Gameplay

Guild Wars 2 avoids using the same gameplay elements as other mainstream MMOs. Instead of quests given by NPCs, players can freely join dynamic events that are occurring in the world. These dynamic events appear all over Tyria without each player having to accept a quest; any player can jump in to a dynamic event and have the same chance at loot as any other playing in the same event. Events scale with the amount of players participating, so a horde of players can't take down a boss by sheer numbers. There are also static events, know as "renown hearts," scattered throughout the world, that players can complete at their leisure. Each class is completely self-sufficient if necessary, and any class can focus on healing, defense, and attack as they please. Combat is fluid and in constant motion, no more "hitting each other until one of the players falls over." In addition to structured PvP, there is also WvWvW: World vs World vs World, which matches your server against two others in an epic war spanning four maps.

Guild Leaders:
    Newbienice99 Newbienice.1923
    Bullet100 BulletNG.7069

NA Officers:
    Dai dai.4170
    Cakebatyr Cakebatyr.2976
    Winner BTYM.8230
    psychojake psychojake.7935

EU Officers:
    Redball4567 Redball.7236
    eternalflamez EternalFlamez.9025
    xmariusx Venator.7392
    Franke R?! Franke Rosenau

Guild info:

NA: Gate of Madness
    EU: Gandara
    FPGW2 Steam Group

(old) Teamspeak 3 server:
    talkha.us

Links:

Guild Wars 2 Website
    Guild Wars 2 Official Forum
    Guild Wars 2 Official Wiki
    Guild Wars 2 Facebook Page
    Dragon Timer

Previous threads:
    Guild Wars 2 V1
    Guild Wars 2 V2
    Guild Wars 2 V3
    Guild Wars 2 V4
    Guild Wars 2 V5
    Guild Wars 2 V6
    Guild Wars 2 V7
    Guild Wars 2 V8

The Professions

Soldiers

Soldier professions are frontline fighters who use heavy armor and are highly resilient to damage, thanks to their high toughness.

Guardian Warrior Revenant (New in HoT Expansion)

Adventurers
    Adventurer professions fight from the traditional midline. They have a good mix of ranged and defensive weapons, and are otherwise flexible combatants.

Engineer Ranger Thief

Scholars
    Scholar professions are the least durable fighters, possessing only light armor, but still prove formidable, especially from long range.

Elementalist Mesmer Necromancer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    5,398 Posts
    Heart of Thorns, registered and confirmed.

holy fuck those cinematics, also sylvari truth, also Rytlock was real badass, also holy fuck Mursaat, cant wait to see everything on jan 24th!   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    12,971 Posts
    In Microeconomics today, I had to be an apple salesman.

All I could think of was Tybalt selling nice, quiet apples.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    18,715 Posts
    i'm planning on getting back into gw2 but i feel like it's gonna take a while to get back into the game now that there's a paid(?) expansion coming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,702 Posts
    Would be kinda miffed if part of the game has turned out to be an advertisement.

Just from the standpoint that they kinda gave us part of the story of mordremoth for free and locked the rest behind a paywall...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

6. Post #6
    intelligent asuran who don’t need no bookah
    April 2010
    1,194 Posts
    There's too much in    Season 2's ending with the final cutscene    for me to take in aaaaah

I am so stupidly excited.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    dai

February 2006
    30,273 Posts
    Would be kinda miffed if part of the game has turned out to be an advertisement.

Just from the standpoint that they kinda gave us part of the story of mordremoth for free and locked the rest behind a paywall...
    so they plowed through two straight years of consistent updates, several large overencompassing stories with new introduced characters, locations, dungeons, and world altering events, AND they're releasing something worthy of being called an expansion in a pretty standard MMO expansion timeframe, and you whine about it being some sort of scummy quick cashgrab?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    2,755 Posts

holy fuck those cinematics, also sylvari truth, also Rytlock was real badass, also holy fuck Mursaat, cant wait to see everything on jan 24th!   
       "You can't trust sylvari. They belong to the dragon now."
    That is going to be a remembered thing I think. It also sent shivers down my spine when he said it. 

Also, if they do announce an expansion on stream, the community will explode. Jesus.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    5,398 Posts
    Time to level the Sylvari I've benched just for.. reasons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,702 Posts
    so they plowed through two straight years of consistent updates, several large overencompassing stories with new introduced characters, locations, dungeons, world altering events, AND they're releasing something worthy of being called an expansion in a pretty standard MMO expansion timeframe, and you whine about the cool content being a long running attempt at a quick cashgrab???

Well i would not mind were it something new... as opposed to the conclusion of the rather long story they've been handing to us bit by bit for about a year or so going as far back as the first living story with the Molten alliance building up to scarlet, finding out scarlet is tied to Mordremoth and then the launching of an attack by mordremoth with some character development and suddenly...

Free ends here, cough up for the conclusion.

Sure, ok they gave us a shit tonne of free stuff... and god knows I appreciate that but I DO feel as though we should at least get to see the End of the Mordremoth arc.

And if they were to release a new expansion about the potential SEA dragon, I'd be all over that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    5,398 Posts
    To release a thing as big as the end to the Mordremoth arc in a living story episode would be extremely underwhelming.

It's an elder dragon, not a minion.
    Besides, I'm sure that if its an expansion, there'll be tons of other stuff besides Mordremoth and really, GW2 is due for an expansion pack, living story just wouldn't cut it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    14,584 Posts
    So I wonder if there will be any consequences from being a Sylvari during the expansion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

13. Post #13
    Do the Shakey Jakey
    April 2011
    3,284 Posts

The "mursaat" looks more like a seer to me, but who knows.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    5,398 Posts
       The "mursaat" looks more like a seer to me, but who knows.   
    Could be, I'd be excited for both anyhow.
    So I wonder if there will be any consequences from being a Sylvari during the expansion.
    Could be interesting but I don't think anything will happen to the playable Sylvari as it might bother some players. Will be interesting to see the important Sylvari NPC's dealing with the distrust of the other races though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,784 Posts
    Honestly I hope it's an expansion. I just can't be arsed to play the game or the rest of the episodes I've missed because it's just... more of the same that I don't find enjoyable anymore. Partly because there's hardly been anything "exciting" added.

Hell, it's not like we even got any new Fractals last year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    2,755 Posts
    i'm planning on getting back into gw2 but i feel like it's gonna take a while to get back into the game now that there's a paid(?) expansion coming.
    Nobody knows yet. We'll hear something on the 24th at PAX South.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,703 Posts
    I hope they introduce the whole new weapons for classes deal that they talked about some time ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #18
    December 2008
    752 Posts
    From the last thread:
    I haven't played guild wars 2 since the patch where lion's arch got destroyed by scarlett. Is there a list of new stuff added to the game since then?

Also, I want to create a new character for PvE and one for PVP. What are some fun classes that deals great damage or can tank really well?

Also last question, is it worth coming back?
    For PvP I can say Engineer, Guardian, Warrior, Necromancer and Elementalist.

Engineer: Using a condition build is the meta for engi because of how bullshit it is, and condition builds naturally gives you a good amount of toughness.

Guardian: Has a lot of blocks/invulnerabilities, good toughness and if you build right you can have lots of heals and sustain to complement the toughness. The extra heals also happen to have the ability to deal tons of damage too.

Warrior: You could use any broken build and it would still work to some extend, but building warrior properly makes you an unstoppable rape tornado because of their innate armor/toughness and also because their conditions still hurt like shit even if you don't have that much condition damage.

Necromancer: Can be pretty tanky if you have a build that works perfectly with how you use your death shroud. Even if you don't build for toughness you can still tank to some extent while dealing insane damage because that's how lifeforce is. I use a berserker build which is so ridiculous I get over 100% crit chance while in death shroud and it's pretty hilarious.

Elementalist: Has light armor, and you normally shouldn't build toughness on that unless you know what you're doing. One thing however, is that while Elementalists have low toughness, they are still annoying as shit to deal with because a good build that makes full use of heals/regen/water fields will give you so much fucking sustain that no matter the damage your opponent has you'll end up outliving them quickly. They can take the most punishment out of all the other classes IMO.

If you need specific info like builds for PvP you can ask me, the ones I use may not be the best but they worked really well for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,703 Posts
    Elementalist: Has light armor, and you normally shouldn't build toughness on that unless you know what you're doing. One thing however, is that while Elementalists have low toughness, they are still annoying as shit to deal with because a good build that makes full use of heals/regen/water fields will give you so much fucking sustain that no matter the damage your opponent has you'll end up outliving them quickly. They can take the most punishment out of all the other classes IMO.
    I've been playing exclusively Elementalist since launch and I'd say that Power/Ferocity/Precision is the best mix you can go with if you are playing a staff elementalist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    August 2012
    1,059 Posts
    Woooo! Can't wait for living story season 3!
       joking   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

21. Post #21
    December 2008
    752 Posts
    I've been playing exclusively Elementalist since launch and I'd say that Power/Ferocity/Precision is the best mix you can go with if you are playing a staff elementalist.
    I go dual dagger because of how useful the weapon skills are. Fire attunement has area denial that applies burning, a mobility skill that applies burning and another skill which is a channel that applies burning. Earth has some nice CC on a decent cooldown, especially that knockdown. Air has a stun that punishes people being aggressive. Finally you got water which may not have the big heals staff has but the cooldowns are low enough for the skills to be ready whenever you need them, also one is instant while the other is a channel that can really save yourself from a down and buy you some time if you manage to break line of sight. If you get your arcane and water traits, simply switching to water heals you while also giving you regen, and dodging while using water also heals you plus gives you a cleanse. I have that channel heal so I can remove a condition every tick (8 total), all my utilities are cantrips so I get a 2k regen for every skill used, and one of them is a cleanse that removes 3 conditions.

I prefer the insane sustain over having bigger DPS and also being squishy in the process. Celestial is so utterly broken on elementalist I don't even know if I'm supposed to find this funny or just plain retarded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    2,755 Posts
    Woooo! Can't wait for living story season 3!
       joking   
    I would honestly still be as interested in what's going to happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,487 Posts
    If all goes well I might build a new pc by the time the expansion comes out, then I'd be able to enjoy the new content properly for once.

I hope they bring back SAB by that time too, I miss it so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events

24. Post #24
    April 2010
    1,194 Posts
    Also,    judging by the Heart of Thorns teaser, I really hope Canach is a main character for the expansion's story. He alone is way more interesting imo than Bram, Rox eg   .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,703 Posts
    Also,    judging by the Heart of Thorns teaser, I really hope Canach is a main character for the expansion's story. He alone is way more interesting imo than Bram, Rox eg   .
    His boss battle during Sunsouth was awful, however. If they intend to use him more they should give him a better battle.

Also, can someone clue me in on what's happening in the Living Story? Last thing I know of is that Scarlet got K.O'd out of existence and she woke up a Dragon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

26. Post #26
    August 2012
    1,059 Posts
    His boss battle during Sunsouth was awful, however. If they intend to use him more they should give him a better battle.

Also, can someone clue me in on what's happening in the Living Story? Last thing I know of is that Scarlet got K.O'd out of existence and she woke up a Dragon.
       Zepherites get blown out of the sky, you go with Destiny's Edge 2.0 to investigate. You shortly discover there are plant monsters ruining everything in existence. You search for a high figure of the Zepherites and find he is being hunted by some evil Sylvari dude that apparently went insane (you kill him shortly after discovering this). You try to get all of the Tyrians to fight the new plant monster, the Pale Tree get her ass smashed, Rytlock goes on a spirit quest, bla bla filler you find the egg of Glint then Caithe steals it, you find her, you get attacked by a dragon and then the trailer for the expac plays.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,601 Posts
    game desperately needs an expansion imo

but I can't help the sinking feeling that even if it IS an expansion, there wont be any of the cool stuff people have grown to expect from mmo expansions like new races and classes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,718 Posts
    game desperately needs an expansion imo

but I can't help the sinking feeling that even if it IS an expansion, there wont be any of the cool stuff people have grown to expect from mmo expansions like new races and classes
    skritt need to be playable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    12,971 Posts
    Will buy expansion for birdpeople
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,703 Posts
       Zepherites get blown out of the sky, you go with Destiny's Edge 2.0 to investigate. You shortly discover there are plant monsters ruining everything in existence. You search for a high figure of the Zepherites and find he is being hunted by some evil Sylvari dude that apparently went insane (you kill him shortly after discovering this). You try to get all of the Tyrians to fight the new plant monster, the Pale Tree get her ass smashed, Rytlock goes on a spirit quest, bla bla filler you find the egg of Glint then Caithe steals it, you find her, you get attacked by a dragon and then the trailer for the expac plays.   
    Oh shit, so that's what    the whole sylvari can't be trusted stuff    is coming from.
    Thanks for the info.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    December 2009
    1,048 Posts
    skritt need to be playable
    There are shiny things in the cave and the trailer shows someone making things shiny.
    Skritt going to be united as one now.

Maybe their stupid upside down ship is used during the final battle against Mordremoth just like how Glory of Tyria was used against Zhaitan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2007
    1,682 Posts
    Season Finale Spoilers:

I hoped Sylvari were dragon minions, but I didn't expect Arenanet to have the balls to go with it since they're playable. I'm pleasantly surprised. There is a lot of great story potential there with racism, distrust, etc.

GET HYPE 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    September 2013
    107 Posts
    I personally can't wait to see what Mordremoth looks like, just wonder how long we have to wait to have a proper glimpse of him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    14,584 Posts
    I personally can't wait to see what Mordremoth looks like, just wonder how long we have to wait to have a proper glimpse of him.
    If its anything like Zhaitan we'll have to wait until the very last mission to see him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

35. Post #35
    April 2010
    1,194 Posts

HD Version uploaded by Arenanet; Season 2 ending spoilers alert!

I noticed that Canach is standing alongside Destiny's Edge 2.0 on the ending scene; hopefully he's joined them.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    5,398 Posts
    Decided to give my character some different looking equipment.
    to
    Pretty happy with it, my previous armor set was Ancient Silver, Dusky and Lemon Shade, new is Iron, Blood Cherry and Gold.
    I also just realized that I haven't seen him without the eyepatch for well over a year, browsing through old pictures is kinda funny

Used to be such a smug little bitch.   borrowed dialogue from an asura   

Also, hi to the FPer I encountered in Beetletun!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    25,771 Posts
    From the last thread:

For PvP I can say Engineer, Guardian, Warrior, Necromancer and Elementalist.

Engineer: Using a condition build is the meta for engi because of how bullshit it is, and condition builds naturally gives you a good amount of toughness.

Guardian: Has a lot of blocks/invulnerabilities, good toughness and if you build right you can have lots of heals and sustain to complement the toughness. The extra heals also happen to have the ability to deal tons of damage too.

Warrior: You could use any broken build and it would still work to some extend, but building warrior properly makes you an unstoppable rape tornado because of their innate armor/toughness and also because their conditions still hurt like shit even if you don't have that much condition damage.

Necromancer: Can be pretty tanky if you have a build that works perfectly with how you use your death shroud. Even if you don't build for toughness you can still tank to some extent while dealing insane damage because that's how lifeforce is. I use a berserker build which is so ridiculous I get over 100% crit chance while in death shroud and it's pretty hilarious.

If you need specific info like builds for PvP you can ask me, the ones I use may not be the best but they worked really well for me.
    Do Ranger beastmasters still do ridiculous amounts of damage? I had the hardest hitting pet, and build purely for pet damage/crit/survivability, ignoring everything else, and just sat in the backlines doing nothing. Pick a target, send in the pet, hit a skill or two, watch the pet crit for 6k 3 times in a row, giggle to myself. I guess it got nerfed since the last PvP I remember doing on my Ranger I didn't bother with a pet

The damn thing could 2 hit light armored classes. It was glorious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,703 Posts
    Decided to give my character some different looking equipment.
    to
    Pretty happy with it, my previous armor set was Ancient Silver, Dusky and Lemon Shade, new is Iron, Blood Cherry and Gold.
    I also just realized that I haven't seen him without the eyepatch for well over a year, browsing through old pictures is kinda funny

Used to be such a smug little bitch.   borrowed dialogue from an asura   

Also, hi to the FPer I encountered in Beetletun!
    Mine looks almost like the Governor from The Walking Dead.

Or at least a governor. If he didn't have the default norn voice I could imagine him with a thick southern accent just screaming on about fried chicken and immigrants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    zhed+redball.jpg
    May 2010
    1,537 Posts
    I've tried everything, but I still can't get the game to launch after the patch :/
    Anyone had this problem before? Launcher won't launch the game when you press play
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    14,501 Posts
    EU Officers:
    Redball4567 Redball.7236
    eternalflamez EternalFlamez.9025
    xmariusx Venator.7392

rude
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 4Late Late x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)