1. Post #3921
    Gold Member

May 2010
    6,008 Posts
    Looks nice, but scrolling is super awkward on my Surface pro 4... Do you have scroll highjacking plugins on the site?

If yes, for the love of god don't use them. For most people it makes the whole experience a whole lot worse. Sorry if I sound to harsh.
    No scrolljacking at all, but you're not the first to mention it. I think it might be the CSS animation fly-up for the cards. Could you give it another try?

2. Post #3922
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,042 Posts
    It doesn't look like there's anything scroll highjacking, but you're right in saying that it's a bad practice.
    Oh damn, you're right, it was just my browser acting up. Tested it again, no issues now. Sorry about that.

3. Post #3923
    tired of being tired
    August 2012
    876 Posts
    I've been working on this for a couple days.
    It started off just to mess around but I ended up making(totally wasn't thoroughly editing the template) a site for my Discord bot.
    It's been a while since I've used asp and I'm pretty new to net core so it's been quite an adventure.
    However, I finally figured out how to do some basic Discord oauth. Maybe it's just me but the documentation seems scattered, and the large document they refer to, although a bit difficult to read at least for me, helped but I ended up finding a more throughout a guide some guy posted on reddit or something.

Anyways, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    http://jeezy.click

4. Post #3924
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    580 Posts
    Looking for an idea to build some web interface to practice my skills, I'm empty.

5. Post #3925
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,116 Posts

I got (about half of) that runtime type system I was asking about working, as well as the connection editing you see in the video.
    The endpoint misalignment in wider nodes is probably fixed too now. I'm still getting used to how CSS affects the page, so I tend to make mistakes regarding the layout.

6. Post #3926
    December 2012
    75 Posts
    Just finished quick view (ajax downloading) of images when right clicking. Just need to now display a loading spinner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

7. Post #3927

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,193 Posts
    where do yall go for inspiration
    ive been practicing js for a bit but my css is way too rusty

8. Post #3928
    Crescent fresh
    January 2011
    1,321 Posts
    Just finished quick view (ajax downloading) of images when right clicking. Just need to now display a loading spinner.
    Those transitions look great, except for the dragging hover one. I was gonna point out that there isn't one as you're dropping the files but the inset shadow thing is just so "weak"

where do yall go for inspiration
    ive been practicing js for a bit but my css is way too rusty
    https://dribbble.com/ maybe, not sure what kind of inspiration you're looking for

9. Post #3929
    Gold Member

May 2010
    6,008 Posts
    Does the default background here load super-late for anyone else? I know it's 1.2mb, but still.... it's like it waits for all other content to load.
    http://new.eventvods.com/

10. Post #3930
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,083 Posts
    Seems kind of slow overall on my end, but the background didn't load too late:

11. Post #3931
    Gold Member

May 2010
    6,008 Posts
    >1s to load is waaaaaaaaaaay too slow :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #3932
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    1,704 Posts
    I want to build a personal website from scratch. I started out using HTML/CSS with a bootstrap theme but a friend of mine told me it'd be a nice challenge to use React or Angular?

I'm not really sure how web stuff works, I'm pretty familiar with Python and a little bit of C but that's the extent of my programming knowledge. Should I just stick to using HTML/CSS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #3933
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,116 Posts
    I want to build a personal website from scratch. I started out using HTML/CSS with a bootstrap theme but a friend of mine told me it'd be a nice challenge to use React or Angular?

I'm not really sure how web stuff works, I'm pretty familiar with Python and a little bit of C but that's the extent of my programming knowledge. Should I just stick to using HTML/CSS?
    As someone who's basically just started with this stuff: You'd probably need a tutor to use anything complex-ish quickly.
    You also need to know HTML and CSS anyway, so you don't really lose anything by going with the easy solution first either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #3934
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,083 Posts
    >1s to load is waaaaaaaaaaay too slow :/
    Having several >1MB images is also awful, especially for someone on a mobile or satellite connection. I like to keep mine around 200kb. Learn to love the jpeg.

15. Post #3935
    June 2008
    555 Posts

You don't need React or Angular [yet]. They are for building interactive, data-intensive web applications and they're only a burden if your site is just a homepage. You also need to learn quite a bit about JavaScript development (and functional programming in React's case) to make efficient use of them. :)

Besides, Bootstrap and React/Angular serve completely different purposes; it's not an either/or question. Bootstrap helps you build responsive HTML and CSS for common UI patterns such as forms, modals and lists, and React/Angular can be used to make them interactive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #3936
    July 2005
    518 Posts
    I have this assigment / PHP , MySQL, JS ( jquery ) /where you can add debt rows and then there is one add payment field. But the payment must be like divided to different rows until used totally. meaning that if you have for e.g 2 debt rows total of 100 euros + 10 euros interest
    (50 each + 5 euros interests) and you add payment, payment should be adjusted to these
    rows starting from the first one and paying first interests. But kinda hit the wall how I should build this " payment " thing and how it should figure out that it can pay another row with the paid ammount.

17. Post #3937
    September 2013
    825 Posts
    So I have recently thought about making a web-based game involving a potentially human host and at least 5 players. I thought about using Node.js but when I got into how the client-to-server worked I started to question how it would even work. If the server had to do a lot of the work, would that kill the potential to have multiple games running at once? Can I just use the server as a lobby list and have the clients speak among themselves? If I do that, I don't think I could use Node.js to do it because it's server-side. If then, what the hell would I use? I'd like to have a solution that involves actual programming and not some game builder esque shit. I don't care about having to learn something new as I've basically mastered the art of learning new languages and libraries fairly quickly, but hopefully nothing too complicated or stupid. Since I want this to be browser based, and for this game to think in somewhat real time (for simplicity, think about some sort of card game), and for this to be accessible to any desktop user with a browser, and not have to download some shit.

I guess what I'm saying is, what do I use, and how do I use it to go about what I'm trying to do? Really, the only things I need to have are
    1. The ability for a human to host a lobby
    2. The "host" to be a separate instance from all players, indicating the host being someone that is not playing
    3. The "host" making decisions based off of input from the clients, and sending information back (a given, as this is a game, but where or how the decisions are made does not matter as long as a human host has the ability to make decisions alongside the game engine)
    4. That the server the game is hosted on, be a webserver or a web site, provides the ability to connect to a lobby

Making browser-based games is completely new to me, and I have no real direction to go off of, and I can't find any resources to help me decide what I actually need to fucking use.

Sorry if this posts is extremely rambley, I just don't know what to do here.

EDIT: And by "real time", I don't mean as real time as an FPS but rather something that updates frequently enough so the clients know what's going on.

18. Post #3938
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    1,985 Posts
    So I have recently thought about making a web-based game involving a potentially human host and at least 5 players. I thought about using Node.js but when I got into how the client-to-server worked I started to question how it would even work. If the server had to do a lot of the work, would that kill the potential to have multiple games running at once? Can I just use the server as a lobby list and have the clients speak among themselves? If I do that, I don't think I could use Node.js to do it because it's server-side. If then, what the hell would I use? I'd like to have a solution that involves actual programming and not some game builder esque shit. I don't care about having to learn something new as I've basically mastered the art of learning new languages and libraries fairly quickly, but hopefully nothing too complicated or stupid. Since I want this to be browser based, and for this game to think in somewhat real time (for simplicity, think about some sort of card game), and for this to be accessible to any desktop user with a browser, and not have to download some shit.

I guess what I'm saying is, what do I use, and how do I use it to go about what I'm trying to do? Really, the only things I need to have are
    1. The ability for a human to host a lobby
    2. The "host" to be a separate instance from all players, indicating the host being someone that is not playing
    3. The "host" making decisions based off of input from the clients, and sending information back (a given, as this is a game, but where or how the decisions are made does not matter as long as a human host has the ability to make decisions alongside the game engine)
    4. That the server the game is hosted on, be a webserver or a web site, provides the ability to connect to a lobby

Making browser-based games is completely new to me, and I have no real direction to go off of, and I can't find any resources to help me decide what I actually need to fucking use.

Sorry if this posts is extremely rambley, I just don't know what to do here.

EDIT: And by "real time", I don't mean as real time as an FPS but rather something that updates frequently enough so the clients know what's going on.
    WebRTC provides p2p communications in browsers, however the browser support is not perfect; caniuse.

19. Post #3939

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,193 Posts
    I was doing a thing in Photoshop and realized I could do it better as an app AND it'd be webdev practice.

https://pgsil.github.io/plane-view/

20. Post #3940
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,042 Posts
    I've been working a little while on a React/Webpack template, as i've been learning it lately (With huge help from a fellow FP'er), and I was looking far and wide for a up-to-date template, that didn't have too much stuff added onto it, that I didn't need.

It has the basic stuff like: Webserver, Hot Module Reloading, ES2015 syntax, SASS support, simple Redux implementation, Routing.

My main goal was to have a template that you could easily expand upon, just as easy remove stuff you didn't need, and a simple folder structure.

https://github.com/dasmikko/simple-react-template

I would love to hear some opinions on my little project.

21. Post #3941
    December 2012
    75 Posts
    I've recently started playing around with WebRTC ptp file transferring, and it's pretty freaking annoying to get working,. But once it's working the result is pretty neat.
    Live Demo: http://drop.vldr.org/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #3942
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,042 Posts
    I've been working a little while on a React/Webpack template, as i've been learning it lately (With huge help from a fellow FP'er), and I was looking far and wide for a up-to-date template, that didn't have too much stuff added onto it, that I didn't need.

It has the basic stuff like: Webserver, Hot Module Reloading, ES2015 syntax, SASS support, simple Redux implementation, Routing.

My main goal was to have a template that you could easily expand upon, just as easy remove stuff you didn't need, and a simple folder structure.

https://github.com/dasmikko/simple-react-template

I would love to hear some opinions on my little project.
    I've updated the template with persistence support, so you can carry parts of your redux store after refresh.

23. Post #3943

December 2016
    19 Posts
    Started my own webdev company this week because in the location I live at, a lot of the "developers" are shady hacks who overcharge and take forever to get things done. Picked up a client who said he's paying monthly for his developer to keep his page up to date and maintained and the site still has lorem ipsum on important pages that are public. Showed him a prototype of what id do, and told him that we can use WordPress so he can keep it up to date and I'll teach somebody how to use it that way he doesn't have to pay monthly anymore. He's recommending me to friends so I might get more work soon. Hoping to turn this into more then a side business. Any advice from anybody who has gone down my path?

24. Post #3944
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,523 Posts
    I guess this is web dev.

In my internship, we're custom plugins for salesforce. My coworker and I have made a Cortana skill that lets agents control Salesforce using voice commands. Right now it can screenpop on ANI and reply to messages in Skype for Business.

25. Post #3945
    August 2013
    121 Posts
    Started my own webdev company this week because in the location I live at, a lot of the "developers" are shady hacks who overcharge and take forever to get things done. Picked up a client who said he's paying monthly for his developer to keep his page up to date and maintained and the site still has lorem ipsum on important pages that are public. Showed him a prototype of what id do, and told him that we can use WordPress so he can keep it up to date and I'll teach somebody how to use it that way he doesn't have to pay monthly anymore. He's recommending me to friends so I might get more work soon. Hoping to turn this into more then a side business. Any advice from anybody who has gone down my path?
    How do you guys manage Hosting+Domain if the client doesn't pay monthly, do you let the client manage them, or do you provide "support" for x years?

26. Post #3946

December 2016
    19 Posts
    How do you guys manage Hosting+Domain if the client doesn't pay monthly, do you let the client manage them, or do you provide "support" for x years?
    Depends on the clients needs. Our current 2 clients have their own hosting through godaddy(I know) and don't want to change so we are just working within their limits. That being said, we offer business hours support for these two clients for the first year with an option to renew. 24/7 would be too expensive and they aren't a business that relies on the internet so that level of support isn't needed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #3947
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,523 Posts
    One of you fuckers hacked my website
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #3948
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,584 Posts
    I was doing a thing in Photoshop and realized I could do it better as an app AND it'd be webdev practice.

https://pgsil.github.io/plane-view/
    That's cool, it's always great to say to yourself "I wish there was an easier way to do this" then make it yourself. Two small improvements I would make:

- The dragging movement seems to depend on the zoom rather than where the cursor is, it'd be nice if it always followed the cursor.
    - I'd add at least a single whitespace character after each item in the Show/Hide section, otherwise they look too bunched together

Edited:

An opportunity to learn what went wrong and learn more about web security
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #3949
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,523 Posts
    It was you wasn't it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

30. Post #3950

March 2013
    283 Posts
    quick question I'm makeing a MVC for practise and I stumbled on a somewhat stupid question where I can't find an anwer for some reason.
    I was working on routing when I wanted the url to be:
    /wiki/skins/weapon/weaponID or another example /wiki/skins/collection/collectionID
    As controller I want to return wiki and as action method skinsweapon or skinscollection but how do I handle multiple parameters for one actionmethod I use php by the way.

31. Post #3951
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,768 Posts
    In all honesty, you've been around for a while now. How do you still manage to get your shit fucked up?

And like djjkxbox said, learn from it instead of "calling" us out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #3952

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,193 Posts
    i finished the (simple) functionality of my portfolio site. feedback would be much appreciated.

any ideas on how i should go about making https://pgsil.github.io/persite/#/ look like a decent, interesting site?

i'm terrible at coming up with design ideas.
    i've been looking at design inspiration sites but nothing really caught my eye as something that would be a good fit for this

right now i'm thinking of trying an even simpler design, use more vivid colors and possibly throw in some anime.js powered svg animations in the background, but idk if that'd be okay for something you link to when applying for work

33. Post #3953
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,523 Posts
    In all honesty, you've been around for a while now. How do you still manage to get your shit fucked up?

And like djjkxbox said, learn from it instead of "calling" us out.
    Cause I made the website like a year ago and promptly forgot about it except every couple months

34. Post #3954
    August 2013
    121 Posts
    i finished the (simple) functionality of my portfolio site. feedback would be much appreciated.

any ideas on how i should go about making https://pgsil.github.io/persite/#/ look like a decent, interesting site?

i'm terrible at coming up with design ideas.
    i've been looking at design inspiration sites but nothing really caught my eye as something that would be a good fit for this

right now i'm thinking of trying an even simpler design, use more vivid colors and possibly throw in some anime.js powered svg animations in the background, but idk if that'd be okay for something you link to when applying for work
    I think that as long as you have so little info per project, you're wasting space, and for me personally, columns look much better than rows to present so little info (may require additional styling)

(I've literally only wrapped your projects in .columns and gave each project a .column class)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #3955
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    448 Posts
    Cause I made the website like a year ago and promptly forgot about it except every couple months
    Let this be a lesson to never leave things publicly available on your servers or accounts without maintaining a decent security standard. There are tools for this sort of thing.

Edited:

Wasn't me who dun it, by the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #3956
    I fucking hate Lori.
    April 2010
    2,768 Posts
    I think that as long as you have so little info per project, you're wasting space, and for me personally, columns look much better than rows to present so little info (may require additional styling)

(I've literally only wrapped your projects in .columns and gave each project a .column class)
    This + the "logo" text is a bit off IMO. Either move it to the left so it align's with the darker box left handed side or move it to the center and scale it a bit.

37. Post #3957

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,193 Posts

This + the "logo" text is a bit off IMO. Either move it to the left so it align's with the darker box left handed side or move it to the center and scale it a bit.
    thanks a bunch for your thoughts. i changed it a bit. does it look okay now?

https://pgsil.github.io/persite/#/

Edited:

i want to apply for a few junior webdev positions, which is why i made that portfolio.

any tips, thoughts, suggestions?

i'm really scared that i'm not good enough for real frontend work / that i am but i don't get hired

is that site professional enough?

aaaaa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #3958
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,083 Posts
    It's okay duder, you are making great progress. It's looking much more cohesive and stylish already.

I would probably lighten up the background a bit, the large and bold white text contrasts a bit too much with the #0d0d0e background.

I'd personally go with something like #2b2b2f (probably a bit hard to see with FP's white posts):

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)