1. Post #801
    October 2009
    405 Posts
    are you already doing explicit light sampling? what about multithreading?
    Of course, I've posted about this if I recall correctly.
    Also, it's rendered via cuda so you don't get more multi threading than that

Edited:

Of course I get page king when I'm lying in bed, browsing facepunch, and not when I have some actual content.
    Sorry guys :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

2. Post #802
    Guru mediation error
    Dennab
    July 2012
    10,544 Posts
    Well, we are getting somewhere, I've got my scraper loading the board index in ~400ms, most of that is network latency, I can have that cleared right up with a cache.

Edited:

Oh and I'll be trying to make it completely backwards compatible with the Labpunch API.
    Expect a few extras like actually having ratings support :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

3. Post #803
    I had to buy my own title because no one loves me
    April 2011
    235 Posts
    Working on some UI for my game.

(square buttons will have icons instead of text, so I don't care that it's overflowing at the moment)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #804
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2008
    6,828 Posts
    So I have the handwriting of a 10 year old. Do you think my teacher would think I were cheating if I were to print out all my calc homework in latex?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

5. Post #805
    February 2012
    79 Posts
    So I have the handwriting of a 10 year old. Do you think my teacher would think I were cheating if I were to print out all my calc homework in latex?
    Nah, just explain to them why you're printing it out. Show them your terrible integral squiggles!
    P.S.: Calculus 2 sucks and I'm totally not posting this from in the middle of class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #806
    July 2014
    773 Posts
    It's me again, the guy who has been to five python classes so far.

I just completed the framework for a basic multiple choice quiz:

Code:
    def main():
        print("The correct answer to this question is a")
        print("a option")
        print("b option")
        print("c option")
        q1 = (input("answer: "))

if q1 == "a":
            a1 = 1
        else:
            a1 = 0

print("The correct answer to this question is b")
        print("a option")
        print("b option")
        print("c option")
        q2 = (input("answer: "))

if q2 == "b":
            a2 = 1
        else:
            a2 = 0

print("The correct answer to this question is c")
        print("a option")
        print("b option")
        print("c option")
        q3 = (input("answer: "))

if q3 == "c":
            a3 = 1
        else:
            a3 = 0

score = a1 + a2 + a3

print("you got",score,"out of 3 correct")
        print("thanks for playing")

main()
    I'm hella proud of the scoring system. Time to fill in the blanks with interesting content

this is so fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner x 5Optimistic x 4Programming King x 2Funny x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #807
    September 2012
    1,082 Posts
    editor for games, with copying, pasting, filling, cutting and undoing. took me 3 days and dont have support for game objects yet, but still a lot faster and more organized than it was before. because of how fuccboiGDX is structured, the game and engine layer are clearly separated now, so the editor only has to mostly talk to the engine layer to work properly, meaning its easy to make it work for multiple games

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Programming King Programming King x 10 (list)

8. Post #808

December 2014
    22 Posts
    editor for games, with copying, pasting, filling, cutting and undoing. took me 3 days and dont have support for game objects yet, but still a lot faster and more organized than it was before. because of how fuccboiGDX is structured, the game and engine layer are clearly separated now, so the editor only has to mostly talk to the engine layer to work properly, meaning its easy to make it work for multiple games

Out of interest, for saving levels do you user some sort of serialization or API or write your own binary reader and writer method?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #809
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    667 Posts
    Been working on a game!

Arcade games are always fun so we (me and some friends) would try to make one.

Here's our greenlight concept, if you're interested: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=374977454

Also, any feedback would be much appreciated :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 17Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #810
    Dennab
    January 2010
    6,583 Posts

Code:
    def main():
        print("The correct answer to this question is a")
        print("a option")
        print("b option")
        print("c option")
        q1 = (input("answer: "))

if q1 == "a":
            a1 = 1
        else:
            a1 = 0

print("The correct answer to this question is b")
        print("a option")
        print("b option")
        print("c option")
        q2 = (input("answer: "))

if q2 == "b":
            a2 = 1
        else:
            a2 = 0

print("The correct answer to this question is c")
        print("a option")
        print("b option")
        print("c option")
        q3 = (input("answer: "))

if q3 == "c":
            a3 = 1
        else:
            a3 = 0

score = a1 + a2 + a3

print("you got",score,"out of 3 correct")
        print("thanks for playing")

main()
    I'm hella proud of the scoring system. Time to fill in the blanks with interesting content

this is so fun
    Glad you are enjoying yourself, programming is a ton of fun and great to get into.

I honestly don't know if this is a tip or me being nitpicking but its quite a bit of extra code when you could have just incremented score each time you got the correct answer. Something like score = 0
    then score += 1 instead of the multiple else conditionals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #811
    Hi.
    July 2011
    5,256 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #812
    Hi.
    July 2011
    5,256 Posts

this is so fun
    When you go a little further down the rabbit hole you can start making your stuff reusable and you will learn how to not have to repeat yourself. Keep at it, shit gets crazy.
    Code:
    import string

def main():

score = quiz(
            "Do you like apples?",
            ["yes", "no", "maybe", "I don't know"],
            'a'
            )

score += quiz(
            "What is the meaning of life?",
            ["Can you repeat the question?", "42"],
            'b'
            )

score += quiz(
            "Butts or Boobs",
            ["Butts", "Boobs", "Both"],
            'c'
            )

print "you got %d out of 3 correct \n thanks for playing." % score

pause = input()

def quiz(question, answers, answer):
        print question
        for l, a in zip(string.ascii_lowercase, answers):
            print "%s %s" % (l, a)
        q = raw_input("answer: ")
        print q
        return 1 if q == answer else 0

main()
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

13. Post #813
    Click for bunny <3
    September 2010
    1,475 Posts
    When you go a little further down the rabbit hole you can start making your stuff reusable and you will learn how to not have to repeat yourself. Keep at it, shit gets crazy.
    Code:
    import string

def main():

score = quiz(
            "Tabs or spaces?",
            ["Tabs", "Spaces", "Yes"],
            'a'
            )
    ftfy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 19Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #814
    Hi.
    July 2011
    5,256 Posts
    How dare you sully my code with 'a'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

15. Post #815
    March 2008
    1,789 Posts
    I just had my first programming exam at uni, writing java with a pen is awful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #816
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,597 Posts
    It's not that bad unless it's a huge program IMO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #817
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,566 Posts
    I just had my first programming exam at uni, writing java with a pen is awful
    Every time I went to an exam at uni I remembered I had not touched a pen in months. Every time I was surprised I still knew how to draw letters in a coherent fashion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 5 (list)

18. Post #818
    No title or gold masterrace, whoops.
    July 2012
    9,247 Posts
    Everytime I feel bad for the person that has to read it. I rarely can read my own stuff, and can with easy decipher handwriting that is considered unreadable by others.

So there is still hope, there is someone worse than me.

Also learning stuff about C now, like Makefiles and C itself, its fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #819
    October 2009
    405 Posts
    Lately I've been having a bit of trouble with my path tracer, where there was a lot of noise no matter how many samples I did.
    Now, I think I've worked it all out:

This was with 1000 samples per pixel, took 7 minutes and 34 seconds.
    Could any path tracer guru around here tell me if that render time is acceptable for a 1920x1080 render?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

20. Post #820
    January 2014
    150 Posts
    Rendering pretty things:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #821
    June 2008
    1,282 Posts

Could any path tracer guru around here tell me if that render time is acceptable for a 1920x1080 render?
    I did a 1920x1080 rendering of the scene I posted the other day, with 1024 samples (my stratified sampler requires a square number), and it took about 25 minutes on 4 CPU cores. So your performance seems decent, though I'd expect a GPU to have a bigger speed advantage than that. (But I have no actual CUDA experience, so I could be wrong.) Since we're rendering different scenes, it's likely that there are other factors involved besides raw processor performance.

Are you using single or double precision, btw? I think consumer-grade GPUs typically have greatly reduced double-precision performance, to force people to buy expensive workstation GPUs for professional applications that actually need double precision. (It's actually an artificial limit imposed by firmware, and people sometimes manage to flash workstation firmware onto consumer GPUs.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

22. Post #822
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,742 Posts
    I did a 1920x1080 rendering of the scene I posted the other day, with 1024 samples (my stratified sampler requires a square number), and it took about 25 minutes on 4 CPU cores. So your performance seems decent, though I'd expect a GPU to have a bigger speed advantage than that. (But I have no actual CUDA experience, so I could be wrong.) Since we're rendering different scenes, it's likely that there are other factors involved besides raw processor performance.

Are you using single or double precision, btw? I think consumer-grade GPUs typically have greatly reduced double-precision performance, to force people to buy expensive workstation GPUs for professional applications that actually need double precision. (It's actually an artificial limit imposed by firmware, and people sometimes manage to flash workstation firmware onto consumer GPUs.)
    Its 32x lower for a 980, mainly because games don't use double-precision that much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #823
    August 2009
    1,690 Posts
    Lately I've been having a bit of trouble with my path tracer, where there was a lot of noise no matter how many samples I did.
    Now, I think I've worked it all out:

The only way I got anything particularly fast was when using C++AMP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #824
    January 2014
    150 Posts
    Bonus gif (not posted inline because I know what you bunch are like about posting gifs)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #825

October 2011
    169 Posts
    I think consumer-grade GPUs typically have greatly reduced double-precision performance, to force people to buy expensive workstation GPUs for professional applications that actually need double precision. (It's actually an artificial limit imposed by firmware, and people sometimes manage to flash workstation firmware onto consumer GPUs.)
    This is true. Nvidia tends to butcher it to a larger extent than AMD, but both parties are guilty.

26. Post #826
    July 2014
    4,002 Posts
    Rendering pretty things:

That is beautiful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #827
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    I've been working on this for the past few weeks...come and drive my internet-controlled RC car! :D

http://projects.bitnode.co.uk/ICC/

Please don't damage the car :)

Live cam (works best in Chrome, though Safari and Firefox seem to work sometimes):

Control page:

Technical write-up:
    http://bitnode.co.uk/drive-my-internet-controlled-car/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 34Programming King Programming King x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #828
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,010 Posts
    Oops, i just wedged it between what appears to be two table legs

Edit: Ah, two sofas

Edit: The low latency is amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #829
    October 2011
    1,352 Posts
    I had that same idea several months back, damn you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

30. Post #830
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    I had that same idea several months back, damn you!
    I had the same idea years ago, and did it, only it was awfully laggy and not as robust

Edited:

Oops, i just wedged it between what appears to be two table legs

Edit: Ah, two sofas
    Ah, rescued you :v

Edited:

Now someone is trying to escape the kitchen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

31. Post #831
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,630 Posts
    I've been working on this for the past few weeks...come and drive my internet-controlled RC car! :D

Live cam (works best in Chrome, though Safari and Firefox seem to work sometimes):

Control page:

Technical write-up:
    Someone got it stuck right before me. Then you took it out as it was my turn. I turned it around to find you - Then you just teased me with the door!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

32. Post #832
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    Edit: The low latency is amazing
    Thanks, I put a lot of work into making that the case: https://github.com/OliverF/mjpeg-relay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #833
    I almost got out!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

34. Post #834
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,199 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

35. Post #835
    June 2011
    390 Posts
    I love it. But I can't control it:
    http://i.imgur.com/arClA0W.png
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

36. Post #836
    September 2012
    1,082 Posts
    Out of interest, for saving levels do you user some sort of serialization or API or write your own binary reader and writer method?
    http://fuccboi.moe/documentation/serial/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #837
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,822 Posts
    I love it. But I can't control it:
    http://i.imgur.com/arClA0W.png
    :( What browser do you have?

38. Post #838
    July 2014
    4,002 Posts

Control page:

Technical write-up:
    You should name this car "The Cat", because "The Cat" is always trying to kill you or escape from you (according to the live cam)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Slovenia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

39. Post #839
    I bought a title for $1.
    March 2011
    3,292 Posts
    I tried to escape the room but once I realised I couldn't I just kept crashing into your feet

Take that, fucker
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 26Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #840
    June 2011
    390 Posts
    :( What browser do you have?
    Chrome.

in chrome://gpu it reads:
    Problems Detected
    GPU process was unable to boot: GPU access is disabled in chrome://settings.
    Disabled Features: all
    No idea why that is, I searched a while for solutions but all my chrome settings seem to be correct and ofc I have the latest nvidia driver.

Still I guess it's not your fault since it works for other people. :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events