1. Post #1
    Dennab
    May 2009
    981 Posts
    Christianity is a religion frayed over the centuries into many denominations. On Sunday, Pope Francis and the head of a major one vowed to heal one of the church's oldest splits.
    The Great Schism of 1054 separated the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches. Both profess similar doctrine and worship in similar ways, but a millennium ago, Eastern Orthodoxy rejected the ultimate authority of the Pope.
    Francis and Patriarch Bartholomew I -- the spiritual leader of some 300 million Orthodox Christians worldwide -- signed a declaration on Sunday committing to unity between the two churches.
    Together, they celebrated a divine liturgy at the Patriarchal Church of St. George in Istanbul on Francis' last day in the predominantly Muslim nation -- his first trip there.
    Somber intonations and hymns reverberated through the church as the two spiritual leaders prayed and offered reflections and Francis tried to allay worries.

Neither church will submit to nor assimilate the other, the Pope said in his homily, but they will work "towards the restoration of full Communion."
    "I want to assure each one of you here that, to reach the desired goal of full unity, the Catholic Church does not intend to impose any conditions except that of the shared profession of faith," Francis said.
    Source
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9Starred Starred x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    7,680 Posts
    You fool, you have to take Alexandria, Nabulus, and Istanbul first!!! pathetic...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Starred Starred x 2 (list)

3. Post #3

June 2011
    725 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 16Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Resplendent Reenactor
    Dennab
    June 2010
    23,896 Posts
    He clearly doesn't have enough piety, wtf, he's using the console

Edited:

Okay no but seriously.

Would this affect the Russian Orthodoxy at all, or are they still considered separate from the Greeks?

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,954 Posts
    Wait, so is this a literal unification of both churches?

That's a really, really big deal. Will this affect churches that are in full communion with Eastern Orthodox (i.e. all of the smaller order Orthodox churches in Eastern Europe, etc.), as well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    May 2009
    981 Posts
    He clearly doesn't have enough piety, wtf, he's using the console

Edited:

Okay no but seriously.

Would this affect the Russian Orthodoxy at all, or are they still considered separate from the Greeks?
    The russians think of themselves as the third Roman Empire or some shit and don't care about the Greeks. But the other smaller Orthodox countries still follow them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    10,901 Posts
    Wait, so is this a literal unification of both churches?

That's a really, really big deal. Will this affect churches that are in full communion with Eastern Orthodox (i.e. all of the smaller order Orthodox churches in Eastern Europe, etc.), as well?
    I'm not sure how they could possibly do that without changing massive parts of their doctrine. The Eastern Orthodox church has some ridiculously big differences from the Catholic Church.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,303 Posts
    i'd like the church to make more strides towards the protestant churches but TBH some of them make the catholic church look liberal by comparison

Edited:

he'd better win time's person of the year for this one, i mean he litterally did more than the previous 30 some popes at tackling this problem, not counting the ones who declaired crusades to tackle this problem
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    The best headhumper of the galaxy.
    January 2012
    2,274 Posts
    what about say- oriental orthodoxy/copticism