1. Post #41
    December 2012
    5,309 Posts
    If I'm given the opportunity, I would sign up to go to Mars. I would be the first person to post on Facepunch from another planet!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,053 Posts
    Is this how the world ends?
    "Uh, hey guys? Remember the Mars Climate Probe? That one that I kinda-sorta maybe possibly used lbs-in instead of newton-meters? Well..."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Starred Starred x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    September 2013
    6,300 Posts
    This might be a bad idea. If there's anything Doom taught me, Mars and it's moons have gates to hell, and researchers who go up there will probably release hordes of demon.
    I just hope we have Space Marines by then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 13Agree x 3Informative x 1Friendly x 1Starred x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Dennab
    August 2007
    4,320 Posts
    I wonder why this isn't getting much publicity.
    Because this isn't the first time we've been "going to mars"

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    26,853 Posts
    "Uh, hey guys? Remember the Beagle Probe? That one that I kinda-sorta maybe possibly simulated in feet and then programmed in meters? Well..."
    is there any source on this because i'm sure i've heard of it before but it sounds like a total farcical myth and i can't find any information on it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Dennab
    April 2014
    2,728 Posts
    Now we need to just add a shit ton of money to the budget. Problem is that people still think that NASA has a shit ton of money, which they don't. Especially since they get 0.4% of tax payer money.

Another thing people need to know is that there is a lot of profit in space. Especially since one of the largest asteroids in the system has about 367 trillion times as much metal than we ever mined out of the Earth in human history.

7. Post #47
    Cool Kid
    December 2009
    1,452 Posts
    i wanna goto mars
    Personally I'd find that journey pretty scary

8. Post #48
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,568 Posts
    Personally I'd find that journey pretty scary

So did he

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Starred Starred x 9 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,531 Posts
    If they would pull it off for 2030 then it would be only 127 years from the first Wright brothers flight to first humans on Mars.

Let that sink in for a minute.
    We're taking our sweet-ass time with Mars. Realistically, if the space-war had continued, the technology could've been developed much earlier. I find the fact that we went from the first flight to the Moon landing in only 66 even more astounding!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Bulgaria Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,802 Posts
    This is a great thing I might get to see within my life time, however if anything happens to NASA as a program or it's funding can easily jeopardize this. Hopefully we manage to get it done in the meantime.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    19,079 Posts
    I like that the Falcon 9's legs are deployed like some 1930's scifi space ship.

12. Post #52
    October 2013
    5,476 Posts
    I just hope no one wears a shirt that makes people cry this time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 11Informative Informative x 2 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,330 Posts
    If I'm given the opportunity, I would sign up to go to Mars. I would be the first person to post on Facepunch from another planet!
    erybody knows jupiter is where its at...and by it i mean interstellar wormholes and mysterious monoliths

really jupiter would be an interesting mission, since it would involve construction of a very robust ship with undoubtedly a nuclear reactor and generated gravity, as well as a large amount of deltaV

way beyond our current capabilities though, even the falcon colonizer wouldn't be able to do this job
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    5,357 Posts
    If Congress shoots down funding, and once I'm on my own with a high paying engineering job, I'm dedicating some of my income.

I want this history to be made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    5,863 Posts
    Now we need to just add a shit ton of money to the budget. Problem is that people still think that NASA has a shit ton of money, which they don't. Especially since they get 0.4% of tax payer money.

Another thing people need to know is that there is a lot of profit in space. Especially since one of the largest asteroids in the system has about 367 trillion times as much metal than we ever mined out of the Earth in human history.
    Our tech levels don't allow for us to harvest any of that metal. Period.

Dumping cash into NASA isn't going to get us there, NASA isn't going to set up huge orbital facilities to process ore into useful metal products. Private companies are. Private companies are already researching the prerequisite tech to do things like asteroid mining.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Dennab
    September 2014
    1,549 Posts
    I really hope we have a colony somewhere at least by the end of my life time. I've slowly come to accept the fact I'll never see interstellar travel or any of the cool sci-fi stuff in my lifetime, but if I could just know (or even have the opportunity to be one of them) that people have the choice to live on other planets, I could die happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    5,863 Posts
    We're taking our sweet-ass time with Mars. Realistically, if the space-war had continued, the technology could've been developed much earlier. I find the fact that we went from the first flight to the Moon landing in only 66 even more astounding!
    Realistically the space race only happened because it proved who's missile technology was better. We'd have never gone to mars during the space race because it wouldn't prove who's missiles were better, as our missiles only had to travel around the earth, going to the moon was more than enough to prove the point that our guidance capabilities were capable of hitting anywhere in the USSR with significant accuracy.

The unhappy truth is that the only reason we went to the moon was to prove the point that we could annihilate a different country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2008
    6,828 Posts
    Ours is the drill that will pierce the heavens
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,123 Posts
    So did he

That would be Jupiter, not Mars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,053 Posts
    is there any source on this because i'm sure i've heard of it before but it sounds like a total farcical myth and i can't find any information on it
    My bad, it was the Mars Climate Orbiter that happened to. Also they used lbs-in. instead of newton-meters, another mistake.

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,830 Posts
    If this is the alternative to the Constellation program, then fuck yeah. Landing on the moon and spending more time building the ISS is a bit tame when we can just play with an asteroid and go straight to deep space

guys, we might be witnessing man going into deep space in only 20 years...

Edited:

Let's just hope they don't forget Porject Orion
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projec...ar_propulsion)

Early versions of this vehicle were proposed to take off from the ground with significant associated nuclear fallout; later versions were presented for use only in space.
    Why...why would even propose that. holy crap

Edited:

"Leave humanity behind" can't be more literal than that

22. Post #62
    July 2012
    723 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Starred Starred x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    5,195 Posts
    Our tech levels don't allow for us to harvest any of that metal. Period.

Dumping cash into NASA isn't going to get us there, NASA isn't going to set up huge orbital facilities to process ore into useful metal products. Private companies are. Private companies are already researching the prerequisite tech to do things like asteroid mining.
    There's always crash-landing a spacecraft clutching a resource-rich asteroid with a murderous grip. Just need to slow it down to a velocity that doesn't cause it to violently explode and vaporize itself at 19,000 feet.

We totally can harvest that metal no fucking problem. Any mission that would do that could pay for itself provided they don't accidentally cause platinum (or something) to be suddenly worthless by saturating the market with it.

24. Post #64
    Dennab
    April 2007
    1,840 Posts
    Yes! This is what humanity needs!

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,400 Posts
    Both China and Russia are getting into space and there's a private space industry blossoming. The US could tell China and Russia to sit down and the Space Industry gets huge publicity. This is more about exploration and research than colonization.
    Can't speak for China, but i really doubt my country is gonna spend hell tons of money on space with all the shit going on with it's economy. Not in the next 5-10 years at least.

26. Post #66
    Dennab
    April 2008
    4,451 Posts
    If they would pull it off for 2030 then it would be only 127 years from the first Wright brothers flight to first humans on Mars.

Let that sink in for a minute.
    WE'RE COMING FOR YOU NEXT, SPOCK

27. Post #67
    Dennab
    October 2012
    4,773 Posts
    So did he

Will man's first trip to mars be able to sync up perfectly with Echoes?

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    7,019 Posts
    Damn it NASA, I don't know if I should love or hate you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

29. Post #69
    November 2014
    995 Posts
    How much of that was related to combating the Soviet space program?
    well back then everyone wanted to beat the reds no matter what side you were on. I'm talking post space race.

30. Post #70
    September 2014
    786 Posts
    WE MARS NOW BITCHES

31. Post #71

October 2013
    1 Posts
    This reminds me of that movie Interstellar has anyone here seen it.

32. Post #72
    September 2014
    786 Posts
    This reminds me of that movie Interstellar has anyone here seen it.
    I don't think so. Did it screen at Sundance?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #73
    September 2013
    3,257 Posts

I don't want to live on this planet anymore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    25,780 Posts
    If NASA had the budget they could do anything. It took NASA 9 years, that's it, between putting their first human into space, and landing/returning them from the fucking MOON.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    10,102 Posts
    Sign me the fuck up. Sign me up, take me to Mars and freeze me for 115 years (assuming this is in 2030) so I can figut the demons. I WILL BE THE DOOMGUY.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    12,053 Posts
    There's always crash-landing a spacecraft clutching a resource-rich asteroid with a murderous grip. Just need to slow it down to a velocity that doesn't cause it to violently explode and vaporize itself at 19,000 feet.

We totally can harvest that metal no fucking problem. Any mission that would do that could pay for itself provided they don't accidentally cause platinum (or something) to be suddenly worthless by saturating the market with it.
    I think the best part about mining asteroids in this fashion is we won't have to dig up entire ecosystems to get at resources anymore. (except coal but nobody important cares about coal anymore)

37. Post #77
    Dennab
    October 2010
    2,437 Posts
    Looks like they might need the right man to get their asses to Mars.

Edited:

Oh you fucking whore
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Late Late x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,146 Posts
    NASA is the only organization on this planet with an iota of the capacity to undertake something like this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...space_agencies

If you didn't take the time to scroll all the way, China, Russia and the US take manned spaceflights seriously.
    But NASA has the biggest budget of them all

39. Post #79
    April 2011
    814 Posts
    To think, the first people to walk on another planet will be walking around today.

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,917 Posts
    To think, the first people to walk on another planet will be walking around today.
    I would guess that the astronauts that will travel to Mars are around high-school / university age right about now. Considering the average astronaut is around 35, not only could they be walking around today but are probably getting drunk and smoking weed with little idea of where they will end up.

Strange to think that if you got a job at NASA around now you could potentially be going to Mars in 20 years time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)