1. Post #1
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    9,214 Posts

Source:
    https://twitter.com/NASA/status/539814651404754944

NASA's Journey to Mars

NASA is developing the capabilities needed to send humans to an asteroid by 2025 and Mars in the 2030s – goals outlined in the bipartisan NASA Authorization Act of 2010 and in the U.S. National Space Policy, also issued in 2010.

Mars is a rich destination for scientific discovery and robotic and human exploration as we expand our presence into the solar system. Its formation and evolution are comparable to Earth, helping us learn more about our own planet’s history and future. Mars had conditions suitable for life in its past. Future exploration could uncover evidence of life, answering one of the fundamental mysteries of the cosmos: Does life exist beyond Earth?

While robotic explorers have studied Mars for more than 40 years, NASA’s path for the human exploration of Mars begins in low-Earth orbit aboard the International Space Station. Astronauts on the orbiting laboratory are helping us prove many of the technologies and communications systems needed for human missions to deep space, including Mars. The space station also advances our understanding of how the body changes in space and how to protect astronaut health.

Our next step is deep space, where NASA will send a robotic mission to capture and redirect an asteroid to orbit the moon. Astronauts aboard the Orion spacecraft will explore the asteroid in the 2020s, returning to Earth with samples. This experience in human spaceflight beyond low-Earth orbit will help NASA test new systems and capabilities, such as Solar Electric Propulsion, which we’ll need to send cargo as part of human missions to Mars. Beginning in FY 2018, NASA’s powerful Space Launch System rocket will enable these “proving ground” missions to test new capabilities. Human missions to Mars will rely on Orion and an evolved version of SLS that will be the most powerful launch vehicle ever flown.

A fleet of robotic spacecraft and rovers already are on and around Mars, dramatically increasing our knowledge about the Red Planet and paving the way for future human explorers. The Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover measured radiation on the way to Mars and is sending back radiation data from the surface. This data will help us plan how to protect the astronauts who will explore Mars. Future missions like the Mars 2020 rover, seeking signs of past life, also will demonstrate new technologies that could help astronauts survive on Mars.

Engineers and scientists around the country are working hard to develop the technologies astronauts will use to one day live and work on Mars, and safely return home from the next giant leap for humanity. NASA also is a leader in a Global Exploration Roadmap, working with international partners and the U.S. commercial space industry on a coordinated expansion of human presence into the solar system, with human missions to the surface of Mars as the driving goal.

Follow our progress at www.nasa.gov/exploration and www.nasa.gov/mars.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Starred x 305Optimistic x 30Late x 2Zing x 2Friendly x 2Disagree x 1Artistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    101% Asian
    Dennab
    April 2007
    3,082 Posts
    I wonder why this isn't getting much publicity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 76 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,574 Posts
    I don't know to rate winner or optimistic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 29Optimistic x 4Starred x 2Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    July 2009
    19,189 Posts
    Too awesome to be true?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2013
    6,441 Posts
    Probably going to be in a decade or so but it's good that it was announced. I'm cautious though because the Constellation program was also hyped up like this but ended up getting cancelled due to lack of funding.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,838 Posts
    I don't know to rate winner or optimistic
    NASA is the only organization on this planet with an iota of the capacity to undertake something like this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 85Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    December 2013
    3,958 Posts
    Is it happening?

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,574 Posts
    NASA is the only organization on this planet with an iota of the capacity to undertake something like this
    But will they get enough funding?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,122 Posts
    That link is wrong btw. This is the actual link http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

10. Post #10
    VOTE CLINTON 2016 (ignore anything else i say)
    Dennab
    February 2009
    6,085 Posts
    i wanna goto mars
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    A mime cries softly as he cradles a young cow
    May 2010
    843 Posts
    More from NASA website

NASA's Journey to Mars

NASA is developing the capabilities needed to send humans to an asteroid by 2025 and Mars in the 2030s – goals outlined in the bipartisan NASA Authorization Act of 2010 and in the U.S. National Space Policy, also issued in 2010.

Mars is a rich destination for scientific discovery and robotic and human exploration as we expand our presence into the solar system. Its formation and evolution are comparable to Earth, helping us learn more about our own planet’s history and future. Mars had conditions suitable for life in its past. Future exploration could uncover evidence of life, answering one of the fundamental mysteries of the cosmos: Does life exist beyond Earth?

While robotic explorers have studied Mars for more than 40 years, NASA’s path for the human exploration of Mars begins in low-Earth orbit aboard the International Space Station. Astronauts on the orbiting laboratory are helping us prove many of the technologies and communications systems needed for human missions to deep space, including Mars. The space station also advances our understanding of how the body changes in space and how to protect astronaut health.

Our next step is deep space, where NASA will send a robotic mission to capture and redirect an asteroid to orbit the moon. Astronauts aboard the Orion spacecraft will explore the asteroid in the 2020s, returning to Earth with samples. This experience in human spaceflight beyond low-Earth orbit will help NASA test new systems and capabilities, such as Solar Electric Propulsion, which we’ll need to send cargo as part of human missions to Mars. Beginning in FY 2018, NASA’s powerful Space Launch System rocket will enable these “proving ground” missions to test new capabilities. Human missions to Mars will rely on Orion and an evolved version of SLS that will be the most powerful launch vehicle ever flown.

A fleet of robotic spacecraft and rovers already are on and around Mars, dramatically increasing our knowledge about the Red Planet and paving the way for future human explorers. The Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover measured radiation on the way to Mars and is sending back radiation data from the surface. This data will help us plan how to protect the astronauts who will explore Mars. Future missions like the Mars 2020 rover, seeking signs of past life, also will demonstrate new technologies that could help astronauts survive on Mars.

Engineers and scientists around the country are working hard to develop the technologies astronauts will use to one day live and work on Mars, and safely return home from the next giant leap for humanity. NASA also is a leader in a Global Exploration Roadmap, working with international partners and the U.S. commercial space industry on a coordinated expansion of human presence into the solar system, with human missions to the surface of Mars as the driving goal.

Follow our progress at www.nasa.gov/exploration and www.nasa.gov/mars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 20Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    I GOT A TITLE TOO!!!
    July 2010
    1,822 Posts
    Maybe i wasn't born to early to watch mankind explore other worlds?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree x 46Optimistic x 10Disagree x 3Starred x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    9,214 Posts
    More from NASA website
    I'll pop this in OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    24,285 Posts
    Probably going to be in a decade or so but it's good that it was announced. I'm cautious though because the Constellation program was also hyped up like this but ended up getting cancelled due to lack of funding.
    This is the most likely outcome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 19Friendly Friendly x 10 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    7,361 Posts
    Imagine. Within two generations, less than 100 years, we go from not having left Earth to landing on Mars. This is truly a groundbreaking time for humans.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,122 Posts
    Our next step is deep space, where NASA will send a robotic mission to capture and redirect an asteroid to orbit the moon.
    Is this how the world ends?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 59Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,917 Posts
    Imagine. Within two generations, less than 100 years, we go from not having left Earth to landing on Mars. This is truly a groundbreaking time for humans.
    If they would pull it off for 2030 then it would be only 127 years from the first Wright brothers flight to first humans on Mars.

Let that sink in for a minute.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 56Starred x 18Friendly x 4Late x 1Informative x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2013
    5,573 Posts
    You probably can't get buzzed, so there's half the fun.

Sure as fuck couldn't do it any other way, sounds depressing but great pride will be bestowed upon those who do this.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    5,080 Posts
    This is great news. After we land on Mars, we can expand our civilizations beyond Earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 14Disagree x 8Optimistic x 3Zing x 3Agree x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,353 Posts
    Can't wait to meet the 52nd state
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 71Agree Agree x 3 (list)

21. Post #21

August 2014
    89 Posts
    I have my doubts, but this is definitelyprogress
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,263 Posts
    okay now i have to really get into the aero department not all hope is lost \o/

ill go study for finals now

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,838 Posts
    I mean it's really hard to call into question such a conservative plan??

They've laid out totally achievable objectives, we'd still be sending rovers well into the 2020s
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2010
    9,410 Posts
    I unfortunately am unsure they'll reach this goal within the next 50 years. I really hope they do though. Shame this isn't getting more publicity.

25. Post #25
    Official Smiles.
    January 2010
    10,443 Posts
    kind of looks like the logo of unitology in dead space
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 30Funny Funny x 12Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    July 2013
    4,870 Posts
    Can't wait to meet the 52nd state
    The US will secretly take over all of Mars, the Moon and Earth in the future to become the Red, White and Blue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred x 88Funny x 16Artistic x 2Agree x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    887 Posts
    The US will secretly take over all of Mars, the Moon and Earth in the future to become the Red, White and Blue.
    oh god that's the perfect plan
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Honduras Show Events Agree Agree x 56 (list)

28. Post #28
    July 2014
    2,936 Posts
    Will most likely get cancelled because nobody wants to fund this sort of stuff anymore.

The driving motivation behind US sending people to the moon was to make a giant erect political cock to wave at the Soviet Union.

So unless oil is discovered on Mars, there will probably never be any US colonization of Mars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Disagree x 13Dumb x 5Agree x 4Friendly x 2Artistic x 2Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    January 2011
    6,891 Posts
    Then they unless the demons from the hell gate with no one to stop them but ........ doomguy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    March 2007
    1,119 Posts
    Will most likely get cancelled because nobody wants to fund this sort of stuff anymore.

The driving motivation behind US sending people to the moon was to make a giant erect political cock to wave at the Soviet Union.

So unless oil is discovered on Mars, there will probably never be any US colonization of Mars.
    Both China and Russia are getting into space and there's a private space industry blossoming. The US could tell China and Russia to sit down and the Space Industry gets huge publicity. This is more about exploration and research than colonization.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

31. Post #31
    FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SHITPOST IN POLIDICKS
    February 2007
    33,176 Posts
    If they would pull it off for 2030 then it would be only 127 years from the first Wright brothers flight to first humans on Mars.

Let that sink in for a minute.
    An equally mindblowing but more easily observable period of progression is to see powered flight go from making long hops across a field in North Carolina to putting human beings on the moon and returning them safely just 66 years later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

32. Post #32

February 2005
    1,960 Posts
    This is the most likely outcome
    With the GOP now in control of the house and senate, yes.

oh god that's the perfect plan
    Now all we need is WhollyRufus to come in and make wild theories about the CIA somehow being involved to destabalize the native martian Government.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    November 2014
    995 Posts
    With the GOP now in control of the house and senate, yes.
    historically the gop has been more supportive of space exploration than the democrats
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    VOTE CLINTON 2016 (ignore anything else i say)
    Dennab
    February 2009
    6,085 Posts
    imagine working for nasa right now, gonna be known as the people who landed us on fucking mars
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,453 Posts
    I have zero faith in any NASA plan that extends 20 years into the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 1Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,316 Posts
    We're going to mars!* **

* by visiting a hypothetical orbiting body brought to earths orbit in an unreasonable timeframe
    **any redirect mission will take decades to get out there, bag it, turn around and come home

Edited:

Seriously the asteroid mission is a joke, even NASA hasn't devoted much resources to building the capture systems

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    26,853 Posts
    snip

38. Post #38
    July 2008
    1,150 Posts
    historically the gop has been more supportive of space exploration than the democrats
    How much of that was related to combating the Soviet space program?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    3,805 Posts
    Ninja'd

40. Post #40
    Hustlin'
    July 2013
    1,873 Posts
    I want to see this happen really fucking bad, but the pessimist in me tells me it's most likely not happening :'(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)