1. Post #3081
    May 2015
    2,171 Posts
    you should have seen my uncle's records the Connecticut Heat does not like records

I only managed to save three
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

2. Post #3082
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    When it comes to warped records I just use two squares of glass and a weight. A few hours in the sun followed by another hour in the shade and nearly all the warbling is removed.
    My Learn To Disco was especially badly warped when I got it and now I used it every weekend to practice my moves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 9Informative Informative x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3083
    May 2015
    2,171 Posts
    My dad would have done that with his post windows but one of them broke a long time ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

4. Post #3084
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,663 Posts
    does it count as thrifting when things appear out of thin air?

i found this old chinese coin in my coin box like 4 years ago and was never able to learn anything about it. i don't even know where i got it, i don't remember acquiring it. posted it on /r/whatisthisthing today and got an answer in 20 minutes. it's a commemorative coin distributed to guests at the wedding of the last Chinese emperor in 1921... so that's kinda cool. i have no idea of its value but slightly later coins referencing the wedding are running between 200 and 350 dollars, so probably around there. will probably fund a laserdisc player.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 14Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

5. Post #3085
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,631 Posts

-keyboard pics-
    found some gold today boys
    (The keycaps are worth about 80-100 usd)
    Got around to building a board for these. Most of the parts came from a seperate board that I got for pretty much free. I just had to buy a case and a pcb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #3086
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,631 Posts
    sorry i keep upsetting you pentium
    i'll try harder to please you next time i find a cool thrift store thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #3087
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,663 Posts

bonus:

$1 (i gave some out to my little brother and his friend so actually i had more)

(im not a communist i swear)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

8. Post #3088
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    sorry i keep upsetting you pentium
    i'll try harder to please you next time i find a cool thrift store thing
    I have....problems....with people who masturbate over keyboards. They have literally...interfered...with my line of work.

Anyways, I bought some records today. $2 each!

I also found The Perfect Alarm Clock.

It's something so fucking hard to find on an alarm clock these days I have never seen it unless it was some tacky hipster clock and even then the clock was so cheaply built it was shit in some other way.
       Only the SNOOZE button is on the top. All the other buttons are hidden at the back of the clock where you can't blindly press them while trying to hit the snooze button.   

It was also $2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #3089
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,663 Posts
    My flip clock has an alarm setting. This is great, but you can only set it for one of 12 hours and it doesn't differentiate between AM and PM, so it goes off twice a day. There is no snooze button and the alarm is utter ear-rape. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, except the switch to turn it off is on the back.

It's a one-two fuck-you from General Electrics and I love it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #3090
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,631 Posts
    i've always wanted a flip clock
    I have....problems....with people who masturbate over keyboards. They have literally...interfered...with my line of work.
    oh man people have hobbies and like things
    no body is allowed to like anything!
    is your line of work IT/networking? it's weird that people who live in front of a computer like keyboards right??

don't you live in a little hole full of oscilloscopes or something?

11. Post #3091
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    is your line of work IT/networking? it's weird that people who live in front of a computer like keyboards right??
    I work part-time for a computer museum in the Seattle area. Mainly I handle the movement and procurement of equipment in Western Canada before it is freighted down to the coast.
    I literally can't explain in detail. We aren't about go dive into that argument again either. You already know my stance.

don't you live in a little hole full of oscilloscopes or something?
    Yes but but those are my tools and spare fodder that I occasionally donate to the local Makerspace. I don't see my tools as things I can sell when I'm in a pinch, else six months later something breaks and I discover I've shot myself in the foot because I've sold my tools.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events

12. Post #3092
    June 2016
    19 Posts
    I haven't been to a thrift store in a long time. Last time I was in one was when I was still interested in Nerf modding. One of the like two stores I went to was a goodwill that used bins, The other was just down the road had I think I found my best finds there. Well, best Nerf finds.

May go back one day to see if I could make any money off of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events

13. Post #3093
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,631 Posts
    We aren't about go dive into that argument again. You already know my stance.

Yes but but those are my tools and spare fodder that I occasionally donate to the local Makerspace. I don't see my tools as things I can sell when I'm in a pinch, else six months later something breaks and I discover I've shot myself in the foot because I've sold my tools.
    I'm just saying lots of people have hobbies. To people on the outside, all of them look like this:
    people should be allowed to like things, and you shouldn't shit on that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #3094
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    Again, we aren't going to start this argument.

Edited:
    Actually I'll move this to PM before the thread derails again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #3095
    October 2009
    952 Posts
    For once I bring only joyous news.

I tend to only find Dutch or German schlager vinyls, but this time I found something that couldn't be further away from that.

It's a semi rare single with Argentinian folk/rock songs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #3096
    I tried to pay a prostitute for a hug, but she turned me down because I'm a huge faggot.
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    I just found a 24k gold plate Polaroid sx 70 one step sonar at a thrift shop...
    It's extremely rare, less than 500 were made. I'm so sorry guys..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 13 (list)

17. Post #3097
    October 2009
    952 Posts
    Do you have a sort of platforn 9 3/4 at your station where you get transported to the best fleamarkets and thriftstores?
    I called it two weeks ago Kirederf7, it's time to fess up the location.

How much did you pay for it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Netherlands Show Events

18. Post #3098
    May 2015
    2,171 Posts
    I only picked up a few CDs today
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #3099
    I tried to pay a prostitute for a hug, but she turned me down because I'm a huge faggot.
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    I called it two weeks ago Kirederf7, it's time to fess up the location.

How much did you pay for it?
    It was a thrift shop in Brussels, my first time there. Just fucking lucky again, I paid 200 euro's but it's worth about 1-1,4k
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Chrome Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #3100
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,932 Posts
    Not really thrift shopping or an impressive find per say, but I found this electric keyboard on the side of the road and having been wanting to try learning piano for a while I decided to pick it up and see what was wrong with it.

When I brought it in it had seven dead keys and two physically broken ones, one of which was missing half of the key. I thought for sure that I wouldn't be able to fix it, but I managed to make it fully functional again. Most of the dead keys were easily fixed by placing a shim underneath them, and the two that weren't only required a tiny amount of soldering to fix. Everything else still worked fine. Just need to see if I can find a replacement key for that ugly popsicle stick key I had to rig up.

Should have seen how it looked when I found it. It was covered in glitter, the key tops were real sticky, and for some reason each and every white key had a red "V" drawn on in red marker. I even found a few shards of broken glass inside when I opened it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

21. Post #3101
    April 2013
    1,570 Posts
    Not really thrift shopping or an impressive find per say, but I found this electric keyboard on the side of the road and having been wanting to try learning piano for a while I decided to pick it up and see what was wrong with it.
    Thats awesome, I wonder how old that thing is, I cant find info on it either. It would be nice to hear what it sounds like too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events

22. Post #3102
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    11,541 Posts
    I remember there was a phase from 1999 to about 2007 where you could find electric organs everywhere. Even I used to have one. Some of the advanced models have really, really cool extras.
    I have not seen one in a second hand store now for a number of years. Last one I think I saw was a Yamaha HC-4W and at $100 it was sold within the day because it had MIDI I/O.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #3103
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,932 Posts
    Thats awesome, I wonder how old that thing is, I cant find info on it either. It would be nice to hear what it sounds like too
    From what I could find, thier "Quick Start" program started in 2005 so this was probably made some time after. I'll try to record some sound clips when I get home later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events

24. Post #3104
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,663 Posts

not super exciting, but anything to keep the thread moving- $1

no idea what a wood carving goes for so idk if I'll be retiring on it but I like the image
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #3105
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    Here's the Polaroid;

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 17 (list)

26. Post #3106
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,932 Posts
    Here's all the different sounds it can make.

The second one can also be mixed in with all of the others as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #3107
    July 2008
    1,076 Posts
    Here's the Polaroid;

I don't have any interest in cameras but damn that is a beautiful thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

28. Post #3108
    May 2015
    2,171 Posts

Here's another civil defense thing I totally forgot I had.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

29. Post #3109
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,663 Posts
    I almost bought a 10 lb tin of those crackers packed in the 50s or something. Shipping was gonna be obnoxious though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

30. Post #3110
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    I just found a 16th century map of Antwerp and Ghent in the local thrift shop for 2,5 euro's!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #3111
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,663 Posts
    What the hell dude

Cut us in on this shit!

32. Post #3112
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    Yeah fuck, it's fucking nuts lately. Hopefully I'll keep on finding this stuff
    They probably tought it was a reprint, it was pretty hard to see the paper and print clearly through the glass. I took it out and it was 100% real!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events Winner Winner x 19 (list)

33. Post #3113
    July 2012
    349 Posts
    yet another insane find
    Your posts are starting to remind me of the GameCube with the money, car keys and N64 inside it.

Except it's real and I'm jealous
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #3114
    May 2015
    2,171 Posts
    Yeah fuck, it's fucking nuts lately. Hopefully I'll keep on finding this stuff
    They probably tought it was a reprint, it was pretty hard to see the paper and print clearly through the glass. I took it out and it was 100% real!
    Jesus christ where do you find this stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #3115
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    7,573 Posts
    Hey guys, I just found the Ark of the Covenant at a flea market for $0.50. I think it was a decent enough buy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 10Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #3116
    July 2010
    3,175 Posts
    Well the only thing I can say is; go to every thrift shop/ flee market you come across. Do it often, even the shitty shops. I found this one at a place I never found anything at before. Also research everything and learn about the stuff you find. I knew nothing about pre 17th century paper and now I can identify it within seconds. You're bound to find something if you do this a lot. I am also very lucky of course, but I do spent a ton of time at these shops and markets. (it's probably a bit easier to find ancient stuff like this in Europe though).

Anyway the thing is never to give up and try to diversify the things you're looking for. I started with old video games, now I search for anything.. three things to look out for; quality, condtion and something you like yourself. Also if it's cheap enough and you don't know nothing about it buy it and research it later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events

37. Post #3117
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,613 Posts

I found a rolling bomb. This looks like some kind of G scale trolley that some guy apparently wired up to serve as reserve power for his engine, probably to cross uneven, damaged, or otherwise unstable track. I'm terrified but awed by it. The cap is rated at 71,000 microfarads at 75 volts. The worksmanship on actually mounting it is quite nice but the test is pretty natty. It was too cool to pass up, even though the overwhelming majority of my train stuff is in N scale and I have zero G scale stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #3118
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,813 Posts

I found a rolling bomb. This looks like some kind of G scale trolley that some guy apparently wired up to serve as reserve power for his engine, probably to cross uneven, damaged, or otherwise unstable track. I'm terrified but awed by it. The cap is rated at 71,000 microfarads at 75 volts. The worksmanship on actually mounting it is quite nice but the test is pretty natty. It was too cool to pass up, even though the overwhelming majority of my train stuff is in N scale and I have zero G scale stuff.
    O Scale is best scale.

But I've never seen model train stuff at thrift shops before, not even flea markets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events

39. Post #3119
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,374 Posts
    I passed on a chance to buy an untested Nintendo Wii at Goodwill for $4.99 because I was too depressed this morning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Edge United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #3120
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,663 Posts
    Not much today but some cool items nonetheless.

Handmade brass knuckles from probably the latter half of the 1800s, a 1964 Gillette travel razor in a leather case, and a pickaxe made between 1935 and 1939, stamped USWPA, from an iron mine in Pennsylvania. 20 bucks altogether.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)