1. Post #14521
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,133 Posts
    Does anyone know of a good guide of opacity and layers for Gimp?
    I'm trying to not make a colour reskin of the pyro not look so flat. So that it merges better with the rest of the model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #14522
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    1,742 Posts

First time sculpting normals for this. Mainly around the neck and bottom.

Any critique for any of it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

3. Post #14523
    November 2013
    1,624 Posts

color blends in too much with default suit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 21Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #14524
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    1,321 Posts
    Hey Emporium, so this Sunday is when i'm going to host the next Get together and play something event thing so, vote on what you wanna play this month

Vote
    Killing Floor , we can play the new Christmas map
    Counter Strike: Global Offensive
    Team Fortress 2 (we played this last month)
    Team Fortress 2007 (aka Orange Box Release)
    Left 4 Dead 2 (vs mode)
    Quake Live
    Tribes: Ascend

Any questions? Join in the group's steam chat so people can berate you steam://friends/joinchat/103582791430986324
    I'll schedule an event in the steam group that'll popup when we're going to go and i'll undoubtedly post here agian then too
    Oh and suggestions of what to add to the list for next event would be a good shout, otherwise your just going to get stuff i'm really into
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 16Zing x 14Winner x 10Disagree x 6Informative x 5Funny x 3Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #14525
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    Hey Emporium, so this Sunday is when i'm going to host the next Get together and play something event thing so, vote on what you wanna play this month

Vote
    Killing Floor , we can play the new Christmas map
    Counter Strike: Global Offensive
    Team Fortress 2 (we played this last month)
    Team Fortress 2007 (aka Orange Box Release)
    Left 4 Dead 2 (vs mode)
    Quake Live
    Tribes: Ascend

Any questions? Join in the group's steam chat so people can berate you steam://friends/joinchat/103582791430986324
    I'll schedule an event in the steam group that'll popup when we're going to go and i'll undoubtedly post here agian then too
    Oh and suggestions of what to add to the list for next event would be a good shout, otherwise your just going to get stuff i'm really into
    maybe next event we could play double action: boogaloo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #14526
    August 2014
    2,018 Posts

The section at the bottom where the coat branches off to the tails should be a bit more rounded and not so angled. Maybe extend the coattails. Also, you should add buttons to make it clear that it's unbuttoned.

EDIT: I figured out what looked weird with the suit; the coattails should round off at a 90 degree angle, like in this picture;

Perhaps that'll make it look less odd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #14527
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    The section at the bottom where the coat branches off to the tails should be rounded and not angled. Maybe extend the coattails. Also, you should add buttons to make it clear that it's unbuttoned.
    why would it be rounded? last i remember suits have corners.

also i feel like he should actually model on the front of the coat so it doesnt look like he flapped some cloth over the front
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #14528
    August 2014
    2,018 Posts
    why would it be rounded? last i remember suits have corners.

also i feel like he should actually model on the front of the coat so it doesnt look like he flapped some cloth over the front
    Okay, but i didn't ask you for your opinion on my criticisms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #14529
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    Okay, but i didn't ask you for your opinion on my criticisms.
    Doesn't mean my opinion is invalidated.

If you can give criticism, you can take it. Don't like it? I can show you to the door.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #14530
    Dennab
    July 2013
    1,996 Posts
    The Sound of Progress

Pompous Pianist

Musician's Mantel

Composer's Clogs

Votes are greatly appreciated!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 18Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #14531
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,133 Posts
    So I was painting over an existing texture, and I forgot to do it on a different layer.
    Can I put the original texture on top of it, and somehow make it so everything except what I painted remains?
    I'm using Gimp, btw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events

12. Post #14532
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,697 Posts

Need some feedback, sounds are wip, be as harsh as possible. (It's not me animating)
    An all class clapping taunt in the style of like "Good job" *claps* sorta thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner x 21Funny x 9Artistic x 5Disagree x 1Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #14533
    April 2013
    9,483 Posts
    Demo and Medic look weird, and Spy doesn't move all that much.
    Soldier has the best one right now imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 16Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #14534
    August 2013
    1,952 Posts
    Need some feedback, sounds are wip, be as harsh as possible. (It's not me animating)
    An all class clapping taunt in the style of like "Good job" *claps* sorta thing.
    Make Demo not do the chicken dance. Otherwise slow it down a tiny bit, make the motions bigger, and involve the rest of their bodies. Do really like the idea though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #14535
    March 2013
    578 Posts

my only thing is that the claps could be a bit sharper sounding. i know it's a wip, but just an idea in case you haven't thought of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

16. Post #14536
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,697 Posts
    my only thing is that the claps could be a bit sharper sounding. i know it's a wip, but just an idea in case you haven't thought of that.
    I'm well aware of the sound, the issue here is it's not 'slappy' enough. So yes, I will be making them more sharper and crisp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #14537
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    push overlapping actions more

I'd even try doing it in the fingers and breaking the joints a little

also their lower bodies aren't moving at all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brunei Darussalam Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #14538
    June 2012
    1,380 Posts

I think you should make the snipers intro a little subtler. Have him point with just one hand instead of both and don't have him move his whole upper half just his forearm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #14539
    August 2013
    9,714 Posts

too rigid imo. their lower bodies hardly move, they just sort of rotate at the pelvis

I mean it's looking great, I've messed with a clap taunt but never got passed blocking out engi. Yours would be perfect if it looked less like each clap was ripping their upper torso forwards and they pull it back and repeat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #14540
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    i wonder if a hug taunt would be possible, i wanna give people hugs :^)

could be a hold taunt, which ends when someone wants to cancel it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #14541
    June 2014
    3,036 Posts
    -awesomeworkshopitem-
    It looks amazing, but it very very slightly bugs me that those clothes are considered stereotypical of composers/musicians in general when composers have existed from the earliest of times to now, of what we consider "classical music". I'm probably the only one who's bugged by this, so while I'm getting rated dumb, you can all listen to some awesome 20th century (1937 to be exact) classical music! Everyone wins

But yeah, awesome item, the names are making me ocd lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

22. Post #14542
    August 2013
    9,714 Posts

if it were made it would work like any partner taunt. Plays an animation for both and ends.

I really don't want holding partner taunts. It's hard enough not ginding a relaxo engi or conga heavy, let alone seeing people sitting still hugging midfield
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #14543
    August 2013
    1,952 Posts
    you have to use the black diffuse, texture in alpha method. cant remember the exact procedure but i had the same problem and that fixed it.
    did you try blendtintoverbaseorsomethinglikethat 1?
    Anybody know what the method dongalator mentioned? Blendtintwhatever is 1, yeah.

24. Post #14544
    Gold Member
    February 2013
    2,617 Posts

The concept of it is great, and I think you got some of the styles of the characters nailed, but the animations are too jerky and not tf2-like(?)
    They just need to be smoother and less like a silly SFM video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Agree Agree x 14Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #14545
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    1,742 Posts
    Anybody know what the method dongalator mentioned? Blendtintwhatever is 1, yeah.
    heres the setup i got for my item that had a similar problem

diffuse:

alpha:

blendtintbybasealpha checked and blendtintcoloroverbase to 1.

i wanted the camo splotches to be paintable along with the whole mask, while still retaining some of the original color. my first attempts at the texture had white edges around the splotches, and this setup fixed it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

26. Post #14546

July 2013
    1,671 Posts
    paintable areas black in diffuse. paintable areas ao in alpha. start with that and go from there. then the blendtittiesbyalphamalethingamajig 1 is this number thing in your vmt editor. it should be at 0.00 by default.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

27. Post #14547
    April 2014
    1,886 Posts
    Erm, weren't the Tomb Raider contest winners supposed to be announced yesterday?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 5 (list)

28. Post #14548
    Gold Member
    April 2013
    2,806 Posts
    First pass at boots:

Feedback appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 19Artistic Artistic x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

29. Post #14549
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    1,742 Posts
    color blends in too much with default suit

is this better? i made it darker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #14550
    WnR

June 2013
    778 Posts
    I would lose the darker pinstripes.

31. Post #14551

September 2013
    164 Posts

Would it be like both people stop holding the taunt key, the user that initialized the partner taunt, or the partner?

If both have to, I'd imagine a Heavy holding a Medic and refusing to let him go

bonus points if the medic starts screaming "AHHH LET ME GO" in voice chat   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #14552
    March 2014
    5,058 Posts
    Would it be like both people stop holding the taunt key, the user that initialized the partner taunt, or the partner?

If both have to, I'd imagine a Heavy holding a Medic and refusing to let him go

bonus points if the medic starts screaming "AHHH LET ME GO" in voice chat   
    either partner cancelling ends it

33. Post #14553
    August 2013
    5,238 Posts
    I still want taunts making the mercs strike poses or flex their muscles. Stuff like the MTM Taunt.

Y'know, actually taunting the enemy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

34. Post #14554
    Gold Member
    April 2013
    2,806 Posts
    Erm, weren't the Tomb Raider contest winners supposed to be announced yesterday?
    yes but they haven't yet because valve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

35. Post #14555
    Radaghast
    August 2013
    2,716 Posts
    Wouldn't this make more sense as a heavy set?

Gave a try, anyway my winter concepts http://imgur.com/a/97i2Q (changed some stuff)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 6Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #14556
    April 2013
    9,483 Posts
    First pass at boots:

Looking nice, my only complaint is the fluff. I think it could use a bit more work, besides that it looks solid right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #14557
    Gold Member
    June 2014
    1,464 Posts

Gave a try, anyway my winter concepts http://imgur.com/a/97i2Q (changed some stuff)
    Personally, i dont think this fits heavy, since he is russian. Or maybe it would if there was no american stuff in it? The only amerikan classes are scout, soldier and engi, so maybe try with those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #14558
    August 2014
    434 Posts
    Personally, i dont think this fits heavy, since he is russian. Or maybe it would if there was no american stuff in it? The only amerikan classes are scout, soldier and engi, so maybe try with those.

It's not based off an American.

God, i hated that movie.
    Definitely not my cup of tea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #14559
    Radaghast
    August 2013
    2,716 Posts
    Borat is Uzbek, So URSS during the 60'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #14560
    BUY THE BROWN BOMBER
    February 2011
    7,642 Posts

Pyro is usually way more energetic/child-like than this, and heavy tends to be much slower/rougher in his transitions,

Engineer i feel doesn't need changing. scout too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events