1. Post #401
    I don't even think you can comprehend how not ass damaged i am.
    August 2009
    3,824 Posts
    A R.O.T.O.W flagship chases down a Honshu Lead Delivery Systems barter ship un-lucky enough to pass through the Hourglass system. Equipped with a heavy plasma mortar and a specialized boarding crew are out to disable the barter ship or in raider language a "frigate" from a distance and dock in for the final takeover.

(placeholder pirates for the meantime)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

2. Post #402
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    4,271 Posts
    Halo Spartan armor would work best, I think.

So, after talking to some people over in the mapping thread, good maps don't exist because nobody releases them, often because they're never quite finished. Which is a shame, because we could all use some good maps.
    Be warned about using Spartan Armour, though. Me and BEAR are using that for our models, and our faction is multiracial, so there may be confusion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

3. Post #403
    Dennab
    November 2009
    14,761 Posts
    Be warned about using Spartan Armour, though. Me and BEAR are using that for our models, and our faction is multiracial, so there may be confusion.
    Out of sheer curiosity, would it not serve to reason that something like Spartan armor could potentially be mass-produced and distributed through different vendors across multiple systems?

I mean, that was kind of the point of it in the games, right? A sort of mass-produced armor for superhuman shock troops?

As long as one slaps enough imagery and insignia on it, it shouldn't look too similar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #404
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    4,271 Posts
    Yes, but this isn't Halo, this is Interstellar Wars.

Our faction doesn't mass-produce them. In fact, only members of the parent race and important dignitaries from important races have custom-made ones so they can visit the parent race's ships for diplomacy purposes.

Edited:

I'm not saying STAY AWAY FROM OUR SPARTAN MODELS. I'm just saying there could be a fair bit of confusion when two factions are using the same armour sets.

5. Post #405
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,714 Posts
    As long as you re-skin them to look clearly different and unique to your faction, using the same models as somebody else is fine.

There are only so many models around and even less good scifi models, so model-hogging is severely frowned-upon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #406
    Dennab
    November 2009
    14,761 Posts
    Yes, but this isn't Halo, this is Interstellar Wars.

Our faction doesn't mass-produce them. In fact, only members of the parent race and important dignitaries from important races have custom-made ones so they can visit the parent race's ships for diplomacy purposes.

Edited:

I'm not saying STAY AWAY FROM OUR SPARTAN MODELS. I'm just saying there could be a fair bit of confusion when two factions are using the same armour sets.
    Oh, yeah, absolutely. I'm not saying that's what they are, just presenting hypotheticals. I might question your use of an extremely generic sort of sci-fi armor as a faction-specific macguffin, but my rule is far from law here.

You know, what could be kind of interesting, would be if you got someone to make some modifications to your specific spartan armor, so they could be easily told apart from others'. I think we've got some model hackers around here, don't we?

7. Post #407
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    4,271 Posts
    Like I said, my only problem was that there might be confusion between two factions wearing the same armour.

If you reskin/remodel them so they look different enough, there wouldn't be any problem. Hell, changing the pattern from solid colours to camo patterns would probably be enough, as our faction prefers solid colours.

Edited:

Also, BEAR's practicing his modelling these days, so the future might have future marks of our armour that have more...unique polygons, I suppose?

8. Post #408
    July 2013
    2,404 Posts
    I'll keep this in mind. I planned on them being a "desert alien" and they may still have a Red armor color and I'll add some MAPRAT Desert Camo on to them as a variant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

9. Post #409
    Dennab
    November 2009
    14,761 Posts
    Like I said, my only problem was that there might be confusion between two factions wearing the same armour.

If you reskin/remodel them so they look different enough, there wouldn't be any problem. Hell, changing the pattern from solid colours to camo patterns would probably be enough, as our faction prefers solid colours.

Edited:

Also, BEAR's practicing his modelling these days, so the future might have future marks of our armour that have more...unique polygons, I suppose?
    I believe the words you're looking for are "giant pauldrons."

Because, really that's what Spartan armor is missing. Giant pauldrons.

Edited:

(placeholder pirates for the meantime)
    Ooh, reminds me a lot of that Disney movie, Treasure Planet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #410
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    4,271 Posts
    I agree. We need PAULDRONS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #411
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,689 Posts
    Some additional resources for people that woolio just reminded of with his post on the last page.

In this thread I talk about using a hacky method to a get z-pass from gmod and use it to create incredibly convincing visuals with minimal effort. This method is most compatible with gm_black, I map made for me by RedMsr when I first started scenebuilding that has since blown up, primarily because it's useful as all hell. A gm_black_v2 exists with more features, but I feel it's less effective for full blown scenebuilding.

Additionally, I "finished" another order, sadly I'm out of town for the next week, because I'm busy as hell these days.

In-character:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

12. Post #412
    July 2013
    2,404 Posts
    Alright, I've finished hacking my model together, would anybody be interested in rigging it to Valve Biped?

13. Post #413
    Dennab
    November 2009
    14,761 Posts
    Guess we're holding the press conference tomorrow. Thanks, Sven!

Also, that's some classy stationery...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

14. Post #414
    #420 PRAISE IT
    May 2010
    9,266 Posts
    actually i use gm_black for my space builds.

Edited:

I would make the second part of my comic but my dudes have massive pupils in-game all of ussudden.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events

15. Post #415
    Panda
    September 2009
    1,004 Posts
    Hell, changing the pattern from solid colours to camo patterns would probably be enough, as our faction prefers solid colours.
    And we really only use Blue for scientists, Red for guards, Yellow for engineers and White for diplomats. The rest of the colours and tones are right there, waiting to be used by anyone who wants to.

Edited:

Bottom line is - for now I rip some gear off random tacticool models, recolour it and add to our dudes as a bodygroup. That's for now anyways, if someone else starts using spartans. Once I'm done with custom weaponry, I'll move onto armor and we won't need to worry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #416
    November 2013
    693 Posts
    actually i use gm_black for my space builds.

Edited:

I would make the second part of my comic but my dudes have massive pupils in-game all of ussudden.
    Just imagine your dudes on acid floating about space
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

17. Post #417
    DOPPELPENISFUCHS
    December 2009
    826 Posts
    Did you get the Ragdoll Resizer tool at any point between when the pupils were normal and now? If so go into the tool, and set the eye scale down to 0, that should fix it.

18. Post #418
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,307 Posts
    Soo, no one is willing to aproach Echoes? Come on people, they don't bite... physically speaking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events

19. Post #419
    March 2011
    1,287 Posts
    Soo, no one is willing to aproach Echoes? Come on people, they don't bite... physically speaking.
    What, they bite you mentally? Are they the Ethereals or some shit man?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #420
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,268 Posts
    unsanctioned psyker aliens

heresy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #421
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    1,102 Posts
    Well I would, but I don't how you'd react to soldiers being all up in your business.

Aaand the possibility that your guys would be captured and cut up so I could get some of them alien powers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

22. Post #422
    November 2013
    693 Posts
    Well I would, but I don't how you'd react to soldiers being all up in your business.
    probably wouldn't end well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #423
    March 2011
    1,287 Posts
    unsanctioned psyker aliens

heresy
    heresy grows from idleness, brother, we must act quickly

24. Post #424
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,307 Posts
    I guess reaction would be disproportionally growing, driven by initial provocation with added up curiosity regarding attacker's biology and anathomy.

- It appears our Shells are being provoked into conflict.
    - Bring neutralized examples to ship, we must run some tests to see what causes their brain seek out means of obliterating themselfs.
    - We'll take hundred or two just to be sure.

25. Post #425
    July 2013
    2,404 Posts
    Would anybody be interested in rigging my desert alien to Valve Biped? PM me if you are.

26. Post #426

September 2011
    853 Posts

Im not sure weather i should ask here or whatever since i kind of want to join this thread , but would anybody be willing to port if at all possible some units from this game ? Specifically the big red faction ? And besides the designs are pretty cool in general...so yeah im just askin to see if anyone might be able to help me out here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #427
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    14,183 Posts
    Quality would be a bit meh though.

Also: Don't forget to PM your faction download links to me so that i may add them to the OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

28. Post #428

September 2011
    853 Posts
    Quality would be a bit meh though.

Also: Don't forget to PM your faction download links to me so that i may add them to the OP.
    Yeah but it be better then nothing , and since the idea is that they are massive theyd usually be in the distance or too close to fully see the mehness id wager ,but if someone could port them id be most appreciative , especially since it would be a uniqe thing for my faction .Its from a RTS but from what i remember the model quality was pretty decent

PS

When i said units from this game i specifically ment the hirearchy faction with the giant ass robots and tripods
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #429
    January 2012
    1,630 Posts
    Well that and I don't see you on the Galactic map either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #430
    Dennab
    November 2009
    14,761 Posts
    Right-O.... I've been digging around in the Portal 2 game files, and it seems a lot of those directories cause instant CTDs.

Anybody know a way around that, or is that just how Garry's Mod is?

31. Post #431
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,714 Posts
    You have to convert the models and textures to the same version that Garry's Mod's engine can handle.

I did convert every model in Portal 2 to an usable format when the game came out, but i've got no idea where any functional links to that are anymore.

32. Post #432
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,307 Posts
    Well that and I don't see you on the Galactic map either.
    Shit, you right about that one. Althought i gotta ask - since base is a ship, perhabs a route clockwise around galaxy core would do?

33. Post #433
    November 2013
    693 Posts

Approaching Network HQ.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #434
    January 2012
    1,630 Posts
    Shit, you right about that one. Althought i gotta ask - since base is a ship, perhabs a route clockwise around galaxy core would do?
    You'll have to ask Floater 2, or Fort I believe, if you want a solid answer.

35. Post #435
    November 2013
    693 Posts
    Galactic News Network 5
    Breaking News!

Diamond Fire released the first shipment of vaccines designed to combat the Mulden-Humanoid flu. The flu, discovered 4 cycles ago by a renowned scientist, Peter Carver, is thought to have been related to 500 deaths in the past sector. By using the vaccine, the company that manufactured the medicine claims that 4 doses for 4 sectors should clear up all types of the flu, and any future strains should be destroyed by the RDNA inside the current va
    channel hijack

ccine.
    for more information on the vaccine and it's properties, check out the intranet substation on our site.
       It's meant to be a hijack of the channel, it's artifacted for that reason   
       aka, things are heating up fast for my faction   

This is also a prompt for anyone who wishes to intercept the vaccines. The model is from the AFF pack: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=65313 It's called Meduin, I believe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #436
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    14,183 Posts
    It's Muninn, named after one of Odins ravens.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #437
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,307 Posts
    Soo it's established. 8B is Morrow Cluster. There Main battery floats around newborn stars and returns for trade with local colonies.

Also ya guys should stick around chat a bit more :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

38. Post #438
    I'm a newfoundlander born and bred and i'll be one till' I die
    October 2012
    773 Posts
    Man I gotta hex my dudes sooner or later
    i've held it off for long enough

39. Post #439
    November 2013
    693 Posts

A pod missing from one of the vital vaccine ships has fallen on Oregon VI. (the area it landed in is comparable to the Eastern land of Earth, China, Japan, etc) This is the first evidence that Grielten-Nova isn't the only planet that is going to be given the vaccines of the Mulden-Humanoid flu. However, there are no Mulden-Humanoids on Oregon VI. Diamond Fire has issued a statement of regret of any inconvenience caused my the accident.

When proposed with the question of the vaccines sighting on Oregon VI, the spokesman claimed that the Mulden flu is constantly evolving, and there are fears of a human contamination.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

40. Post #440
    Dennab
    November 2009
    14,761 Posts
    Man I gotta hex my dudes sooner or later
    i've held it off for long enough
    You got a tutorial for that? I'm looking to hex my skins so I can pack them into a .gma and throw it up for download. Right now, I've just patched them into an extracted version of the mod, but that doesn't show up in the main spawnlist, so I've had to make custom spawnlists.