1. Post #23841
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    17,817 Posts
    I don't get why this would mean they couldn't use the music for the menu?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

2. Post #23842
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    3,166 Posts
    Oooh, how portentous. Why would Valve be so cagey on that topic? I'm trying to comprehend their mode of thinking here, but all I can come up with is that they don't want mass resentment and riots for Michael Brown in Bellevue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #23843
    June 2014
    8,261 Posts
    Oooh, how portentous. Why would Valve be so cagey on that topic? I'm trying to comprehend their mode of thinking here, but all I can come up with is that they don't want mass resentment and riots for Michael Brown in Bellevue.
    Really I don't see why they wouldn't tell us about it if the weapons were cancelled. It'd only encourage unfounded hype, which leads to dissapointment. If there are weapons on the other hand, I could see why they'd want to surprise us. Granted there almost certainly aren't weapons, but frankly I think Valve being secretive about it is a poor move if there aren't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #23844
    March 2013
    7,071 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if there's no new weapons, this update is about the short. I can easily see tons of redditors calling it the "worst update ever" because no new weapons are gonna be added even if they were "confirmed" or "promised"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 20Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #23845
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,473 Posts
    brace for reskins
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 26Funny Funny x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #23846
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    3,166 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if there's no new weapons, this update is about the short. I can easily see tons of redditors calling it the "worst update ever" because no new weapons are gonna be added even if they were "confirmed" or "promised"
    You can't have an update without content; an update cannot be contingent on something external to the game. It can inspire an update--it can supplement an update--but it can't BE an update.

Granted, in this case we know there are going to be cosmetics and a map, but I'm merely responding to the sentiment. I've stated this in the past, but weapons prove to be more provocative content-wise because they translate into every aspect of the game, whereas a map is a self-contained, provincial addition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Artistic Artistic x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #23847
    July 2011
    1,231 Posts
    Honestly the thought of people getting dissappointed with this update is depressing. This wasn't supposed to be an update at all in the first place. Now since Valve confirms it as one everyone expects game-changing weapons and content. I'd be happy with the video, map, and few cosmetics. Anything more than that is just a bonus that is more than appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

8. Post #23848
    November 2014
    39 Posts
    Wasn't the back of the card textured, too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #23849
    August 2014
    2,014 Posts
    If you're trying to say pretentious, I don't see at all how that is pretentious.

Also, if they did talk the update's contents at all besides telling us things such as "maskless spy was removed from the movie and is not in the game", Valve or the TF team would probably tear their heads off and put them on pikes. Since when has Valve/TF team ever revealed anything actually in the updates? They usually just hype them up with the little nods here and there that sometimes people didnt even notice, which is exactly what they're doing right now with the ducks and such.

Honestly the thought of people getting dissappointed with this update is depressing. This wasn't supposed to be an update at all in the first place. Now since Valve confirms it as one everyone expects game-changing weapons and content. I'd be happy with the video, map, and few cosmetics. Anything more than that is just a bonus that is more than appreciated.
    It's like people in my class today; the lights went out, everybody got themselves excited that they'd be going home because of a power outage like last year, then the lights immediately go back on and everybody's pissing and moaning about not being able to go home. Don't get yourselves excited over something that isn't even confirmed to be happening.
    Though I will agree it's fucking annoying there might not be weapons since those were originally one of the parts of the update that made me interested in it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #23850
    June 2014
    8,261 Posts
    por·ten·tous
    pôrˈten(t)əs/
    adjective
    of or like a portent.
    "the envelope and its portentous contents"
    synonyms: ominous, warning, premonitory, threatening, menacing, ill-omened, foreboding, inauspicious, unfavorable
    "portentous signs"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 12Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #23851
    June 2014
    716 Posts
    Could tonight be the nigh-aw forget it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly x 5Agree x 5Funny x 1Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #23852

October 2014
    61 Posts
    brace for reskins
    reskins would be actually kinda cool but this doesn't seem like an update that would offer many (if any) reskin options.
    realistically we're going to get good winter-themed cosmetics and sexy shirttails medic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #23853
    June 2014
    194 Posts
    VOLVO PLZ GIV TUMB RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK WEPONS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mexico Show Events Funny Funny x 12Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #23854
    July 2014
    1,235 Posts
    Re-skins are pretty nice, there are plenty of weapons that could use some nice re-skins, and they're basically weapon cosmetics and dont change anything balance wise (other than maybe getting more people to use it since it now has a really nice looking skin that everyone wants).

I'm still waiting for a fixed blade stock knife re-skin for spy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

15. Post #23855
    November 2014
    1,033 Posts

It's slightly inconsistent from the handwriting from Expiration Date. I always thought that it was rather incongruously neat.
    Is MUS really speculating about handwriting?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 20Winner x 3Funny x 2Optimistic x 2Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #23856
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,122 Posts

It's slightly inconsistent from the handwriting from Expiration Date. I always thought that it was rather incongruously neat.
    As the proud owner of a terrible handwriting i can confirm it can get pretty inconsistent.

Also, 63 new posts. I was expecting something :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #23857
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,779 Posts
    I wish we'd get another promo update like Sleeping Dogs. New weapons, cosmetics, and a new map theme were all amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #23858
    August 2013
    9,713 Posts

EOTL isnt canon and is fanmade

i don't see how this matters anyways
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #23859
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    2,860 Posts
    If it's coming tonight (which I very much doubt) it'll be soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4Late Late x 1 (list)

20. Post #23860
    Gold Member
    September 2014
    1,076 Posts
    To the possible guests and users following this thread right now. please maintain your hype levels. until its really happening. i know you guys may know. but i care for you guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #23861

October 2014
    61 Posts
    Re-skins are pretty nice, there are plenty of weapons that could use some nice re-skins, and they're basically weapon cosmetics and dont change anything balance wise (other than maybe getting more people to use it since it now has a really nice looking skin that everyone wants).

I'm still waiting for a fixed blade stock knife re-skin for spy.
    wouldn't they have to do a lot of animation changes for that? that's probably why it hasn't happened yet although I agree it would be really cool looking.
    I feel like the Rocket Launcher, Sticky Launcher, and medigun will pretty much never get significant reskins like there are for spy and sniper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #23862
    June 2014
    194 Posts
    O hi Mcvee.

EDIT:
    Has anyone noticed Mcvee's profile gif?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mexico Show Events Late Late x 3Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #23863
    August 2014
    1,799 Posts
    wouldn't they have to do a lot of animation changes for that? that's probably why it hasn't happened yet although I agree it would be really cool looking.
    I feel like the Rocket Launcher, Sticky Launcher, and medigun will pretty much never get significant reskins like there are for spy and sniper.
    The Original is a reskin except for one tiny change though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Nintendo Wii United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #23864
    August 2013
    9,713 Posts

my assumption on the movie plot. it's going to switch between three views. Sniper/scout following the train trying to stop it, red trying to make a plan, and blue trying to stop red from stopping it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 6Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #23865
    June 2011
    545 Posts
    I want train reskins of every item
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #23866
    July 2014
    1,235 Posts
    Not always, a lot of reskins use existing animations such as the AWP using default non-stock rifle animations and wanga prick using normal YER animations.

The only reskins i can think of that have any real differences are the sharp dresser and original (this isnt even that different)

Hell, even 95% of completely different weapons use the same animations as each other.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #23867
    June 2014
    940 Posts
    The issue is not "this person is not in the circlejerk-shun them"

It's that these people have no idea what they're talking about and all they contribute is "WHERE IS THE UPDATE?" "TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!" "Why do some of you guys have to be mean to new posters?"
    But you know, 6 pages of train memes is perfectly acceptable :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #23868

October 2014
    61 Posts
    Not always, a lot of reskins use existing animations such as the AWP using default non-stock rifle animations and wanga prick using normal YER animations.

The only reskins i can think of that have any real differences are the sharp dresser and original (this isnt even that different)

Hell, even 95% of completely different weapons use the same animations as each other.
    i just meant that the stock knife is a butterfly knife and he draws it and flips it around in a way you can't really do with a fixed blade knife. i forgot that pretty much all the other knives for spy are fixed blade so i guess you could use the animations for those.

also @ whomever was talking about the original, i feel like the original is super-distinct in appearance from all the other rocket launchers and is easily recognizable. giving reskins to weapons that you NEED to be able to distinguish from other options has to be done carefully. The Original is a super well-done reskin because it's very different in shape and color from all the other rocket launchers. It's hard to do a reskin that is a legitimate reskin but that manages to not be confused with other items with unique stats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #23869
    Official Smiles.
    January 2010
    10,443 Posts
    I want train reskins of every item
    Even the pain train?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

30. Post #23870
    July 2014
    1,235 Posts
    Even the pain train?
    ESPECIALLY the Pain Train.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 17Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #23871
    August 2014
    2,175 Posts
    Although I agree with the most of the parts on that list, I remember thinking that Demo didn't seem to want the train to leave. What I think is that, despite being an 'enemy' of RED, he believes that Soldier's plan has gone a bit too far and tries to stop the train from departing, much to the chagrin of Soldier. After nearly being killed by his so-called ally, he travels to RED Spy, Heavy, and Medic to warn them of the incoming payload. Before he can, or as soon as he reaches them, the train speeds by, leaving Demo with some evidence to his claim. As suspicious as they are, they manage to send a message using one of Medic's doves as a Carrier Pigeon to deliver a message to Scout and Sniper, who receive the message just seconds before the train passes by. Soon, they hop in Sniper's van and chase after the train. Of course, that leaves Demo, Medic, Spy, and Heavy to take a shortcut to catch up with Sniper and Scout. However, during their excursions, Scout and Sniper are separated, leaving Scout to deal with the active payload heading straight for RED base, and the BLU Soldier himself. The rest is up to us to speculate on.

Then Pyro takes off his mask and reveals himself to be the potted plant in disguise.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 2Agree x 2Zing x 1Funny x 1Artistic x 1Informative x 1Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #23872
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    3,166 Posts
    If you're trying to say pretentious, I don't see at all how that is pretentious.

Also, if they did talk the update's contents at all besides telling us things such as "maskless spy was removed from the movie and is not in the game", Valve or the TF team would probably tear their heads off and put them on pikes. Since when has Valve/TF team ever revealed anything actually in the updates? They usually just hype them up with the little nods here and there that sometimes people didnt even notice, which is exactly what they're doing right now with the ducks and such.

It's like people in my class today; the lights went out, everybody got themselves excited that they'd be going home because of a power outage like last year, then the lights immediately go back on and everybody's pissing and moaning about not being able to go home. Don't get yourselves excited over something that isn't even confirmed to be happening.
    Though I will agree it's fucking annoying there might not be weapons since those were originally one of the parts of the update that made me interested in it.
    No, I'm fairly certain I meant portentous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #23873
    August 2013
    9,713 Posts
    People aren't depressed "this update is going to be bad without weapons". People have continued the mindset that predates expiration date, Many people (including myself) feel like while love and war was a fantastic update, the weapons did not make up for the wait time that came with them (two years in the making!) and they did nothing but expand the library of weapons for classes that hardly deserve more sidegrades. As such, people still look to every major update as a chance for valve to release new weapons that everyone can enjoy and use more than just when they're bored (people use the air raider for any reason other than killing 20 minutes?)

Basically, people view it as "If EOTL has no weapons, it's still a good update, but we're mad because valve is brushing off ANOTHER major update without weapons despite being perfectly capable of shipping ones". The update will be fantastic i'm confident in that. But i really hope valve doesn't piss everyone off again by refusing weapons because they don't feel like adding more.

People aren't looking at major updates as a milestone for its main content, they're looking at them as potential moments for valve to add weapons, and every time that moment passes with no weapons, people get more impatient having to wait more and more moments for those weapons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

34. Post #23874
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    9,024 Posts

my assumption on the movie plot. it's going to switch between three views. Sniper/scout following the train trying to stop it, red trying to make a plan, and blue trying to stop red from stopping it.
    Mcvee already said its going to show the interactions between certain couples-soldier/engie, sniper/scout, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #23875
    August 2013
    9,713 Posts
    Mcvee already said its going to show the interactions between certain couples-soldier/engie, sniper/scout, etc.
    I know. That's why i mentioned it's going to be like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #23876
    October 2014
    59 Posts
    I think it was mentioned earlier, but McVee's avatar is really pretty looking. its restoring the hype.

Also, whats the latest they would post just an announcement post for the tomb raider stuff, i know its about 5:44 - 6 ish around there?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

37. Post #23877
    April 2012
    585 Posts
    I would usually expect valve to ship weapons with the christmas update, so it's hard to say really if EOTL will have them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #23878
    September 2014
    441 Posts
    I wonder if we are going to get a comic or future update news or something when valve announces the TB winners.

Thatd be cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

39. Post #23879
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,378 Posts
    Demoman and Sniper were missing from Steam sale pictures so I drew them myself. Unfortunately it’s the best I can do with a mouse
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic x 57Winner x 25Friendly x 5Funny x 2Optimistic x 1Agree x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #23880
    October 2014
    422 Posts
    Regardless of drawing them by mouse, that is still pretty damn amazing, you take the cake sir.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 30Funny Funny x 1 (list)