1. Post #1241
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,598 Posts
    That's interesting water you got there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1242
    July 2013
    467 Posts
    Reminds me of Darwinia.

Also, care to share how you did it? :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1243
    April 2012
    216 Posts
    Cubic 2048 (version 1) is done!

Hopefully it will be good enough for a coursework. I'm going to continue adding more stuff to the game, though. Global high scores would be nice.

[unity]http://winded.hopto.org/cubic2048/Cubic2048.unity3d[/unity]

Download links:
    Windows
    Linux
    Mac

I have not tested Linux and Mac versions, and I don't own a Mac, so if anyone has one, I'd like to know if it works.
    I am also not sure if 1024 and 2048 challenges are impossible or just very hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

4. Post #1244
    December 2013
    1,180 Posts
    I am working on a multi-player arena game in c++/opengl.
    This weekend I replaced a lot of my code and ported it to SFML
    (currently my mesh loader doesn't load the uv texture properly)

Here is my attempt at a particle system.

Here is the targeting cursor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #1245
    www.bff-hab.de
    May 2006
    3,285 Posts
    Reminds me of Darwinia.

My best guess would be that he just used a subdivided plane and, using a geometry shader, offset the vertex positions with some noise function. After that he colored each face using another noise function.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Germany Show Events

6. Post #1246
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,521 Posts

Hopefully it will be good enough for a coursework. I'm going to continue adding more stuff to the game, though. Global high scores would be nice.

Download links:
    Windows
    Linux
    Mac

I have not tested Linux and Mac versions, and I don't own a Mac, so if anyone has one, I'd like to know if it works.
    I am also not sure if 1024 and 2048 challenges are impossible or just very hard.
    Please add some way of changing mouse sensitivity, I have a fairly high DPI mouse and it's practically unplayable because the ingame sensitivity is so high.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #1247
    Facepunch Staff
    September 2010
    224 Posts
    I'm working on a gif renderer for sfml.net:

That runs at 60fps for me. All gifs were rendered from their original files but were scaled down (by sfml) to fit on screen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

8. Post #1248
    Hng
    September 2011
    1,612 Posts

Download links:
    Windows
    Linux
    Mac

Did I get numberwang?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1249
    July 2009
    596 Posts
    I should probably post some content from my current project I've been working on for a while, instead of lurking.

I've been making islands!

Random ones, to be precise.

Here's another one

All homemade algorithms.
    I love how that water looks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

10. Post #1250

Download links:
    Windows
    Linux
    Mac

this is fun

it's like the next building sandbox almost

Edited:

there was a 1024 I swear it clipped out

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #1251
    I gave enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,021 Posts
    "Yo Jim! Your next task is to stack these boxes. I've already started there in the corner, you can continue from where I left off while I go grab a coffee."

Textures! Better object creation factory thing! Box2D violently crashing!

Apologies if anyone here is called Jim
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #1252
    September 2012
    1,082 Posts
    I'm working on a gif renderer for sfml.net:

That runs at 60fps for me. All gifs were rendered from their original files but were scaled down (by sfml) to fit on screen.
    S-should I be worried...?

Edited:

Because he like, went through all my posts and found all my gifs, so he's like a stalker stalking me. So should I be worried that he's gonna kill me or something I don't wanna die.

It was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Dumb x 20Funny x 7Informative x 2Agree x 1Useful x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #1253
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,251 Posts
    Hooray, I managed to write an algorithm to take an arbitrary list of limbs that might be part of a chain relevant to the current action (actions require limbs, defined by a list of limb types and limb chains e.g. {"Arm-Hand", "Foot"}) and build up a set of lists containing all limbs from a relevant limb-chain
    Okay that's a really convoluted way of explaining it but basically I'm recursively checking parent and child nodes of a tree to build a list of nodes in a relevant branch

Or basically I'm just converting
    {"LeftArm", "RightHand", "RightArm", "LeftHand"}
    into
    {
        {"LeftArm", "LeftHand"},
        {"RightHand", "RightArm"}
    }

Which is probably the simplest example for this. But it'll work for even the wonkiest creatures we end up making and their various kinds of limbs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

14. Post #1254
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,614 Posts
    S-should I be worried...?

Edited:

Because he like, went through all my posts and found all my gifs, so he's like a stalker stalking me. So should I be worried that he's gonna kill me or something I don't wanna die.

It was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited:
    I was with you until the first edit. I think if you held on after the first few dumbs you might've been able to rake in a few funnies. I've been posting in WAYWO with pretty much funny posts for the past few years with no content, take it from me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 28Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1255
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    September 2008
    9,384 Posts
    I was with you until the first edit. I think if you held on after the first few dumbs you might've been able to rake in a few funnies. I've been posting in WAYWO with pretty much funny posts for the past few years with no content, take it from me.
    I never post any content but somehow I'm a regular.

Edited:

I think the last content I posted was in April.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

16. Post #1256
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,189 Posts
    I never post any content but somehow I'm a regular.

Edited:

I think the last content I posted was in April.
    I actually managed to miss two entire threads and I still feel like I've been here all the time.

WAYWO sure is weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

17. Post #1257
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,333 Posts
    Better than posting your downhill progress, like me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #1258
    Hng
    September 2011
    1,612 Posts
    Better than posting your downhill progress, like me.
    Your posts are interesting as hell. I love seeing people hack into things that are usually left untouched.

Most of the posts here I really enjoy, I usually end up checking to see if the poster has a blog where they post more stuff at because you guys post hella interesting stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1259
    September 2012
    1,082 Posts
    hahahahaha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Funny Funny x 2 (list)

20. Post #1260
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,251 Posts
    I'm kind of surprised that it actually works but I've finished the first part of my massive function for automatically assigning an action to the appropriate limbs, if they're not currently in use.

So lets say you've got an action that needs an Arm, a Hand, and a Foot. Your character also happens to have 2 left hands! So you call this function and then ~ta-daa~, the action is magically applied to some of your limbs. If you're ambidextrous then you might end up using your left arm, your first left hand, and your right foot, or maybe your right arm, your right hand, and your left foot. Who knows!

But sadly it's STILL NOT DONE. And the code is already 5 pages long. This is only the first test case, where it checks if there's enough open dominant limbs. I still have to check if there's enough open non-dominant limbs, and then any open combination (equivalent to the first step if the character is ambidextrous), and then also handle interrupting actions in progress... in general this is fairly crazy. But when it's done it'll be SUPER ROBUST.

And what I mean by SUPER ROBUST is that it'll be really easy to handle WAY more combinations of states and transitions between them than a finite state machine or other solutions of that type. Instead there's just a tortured and maimed version of the Command Pattern hidden under a few miles of abstraction.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the way I'm implementing this has the added bonus of inherently containing the functionality to remove limbs from characters and hinder their abilities with almost no hardcoding on the logical end (although graphics and physics code would still need to handle it on their own)

Edit2: I just realized that if I push the handedness filtering all the way down to where actions are applied I can significantly simplify the remaining parts of the algorithm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

21. Post #1261
    Facepunch Staff
    September 2010
    224 Posts
    So this seems to be the largest frame size my computer can handle:

It stutters a bit at times but who watches movies as GIFs anyways? I only transcoded (with ffmpeg) the first 5 minutes of Gravity and it spat out a 3.5GB file.

If you want to try it out I uploaded binaries here. It loads from a file named input.gif. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gif%20play.zip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

22. Post #1262
    Click for bunny <3
    September 2010
    1,475 Posts
    If you want to try it out I uploaded binaries here. It loads from a file named input.gif. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...gif%20play.zip
    Chrome blocks it as a malicious file
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1263
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    667 Posts
    I'm kind of surprised that it actually works but I've finished the first part of my massive function for automatically assigning an action to the appropriate limbs, if they're not currently in use.

So lets say you've got an action that needs an Arm, a Hand, and a Foot. Your character also happens to have 2 left hands! So you call this function and then ~ta-daa~, the action is magically applied to some of your limbs. If you're ambidextrous then you might end up using your left arm, your first left hand, and your right foot, or maybe your right arm, your right hand, and your left foot. Who knows!

But sadly it's STILL NOT DONE. And the code is already 5 pages long. This is only the first test case, where it checks if there's enough open dominant limbs. I still have to check if there's enough open non-dominant limbs, and then any open combination (equivalent to the first step if the character is ambidextrous), and then also handle interrupting actions in progress... in general this is fairly crazy. But when it's done it'll be SUPER ROBUST.

And what I mean by SUPER ROBUST is that it'll be really easy to handle WAY more combinations of states and transitions between them than a finite state machine or other solutions of that type. Instead there's just a tortured and maimed version of the Command Pattern hidden under a few miles of abstraction.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the way I'm implementing this has the added bonus of inherently containing the functionality to remove limbs from characters and hinder their abilities with almost no hardcoding on the logical end (although graphics and physics code would still need to handle it on their own)

Edit2: I just realized that if I push the handedness filtering all the way down to where actions are applied I can significantly simplify the remaining parts of the algorithm
    Careful with that featurecreeping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #1264
    Ask Rohan about rust keys!
    August 2011
    3,647 Posts
    Chrome blocks it as a malicious file
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #1265
    Click for bunny <3
    September 2010
    1,475 Posts
    Oh now it says that, earlier it just said it was malicious and didn't have an option for keep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #1266
    Person
    June 2008
    9,136 Posts
    Lemma is gonna be Streamed on Monday Night Indie by a bigshot at Desura or something like that tonight. ~9:00PM PST, Evan and I will be on the stream as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

27. Post #1267
    September 2010
    565 Posts
    So while people did SFML + Box2D stuff, I did SDL + Box2D.

Box2D is pretty fantastic.

It was upside-down due to the way SDL's coordinate system works, so I just created a render target, drew everything to it, then just flipped it vertically.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #1268
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,251 Posts
    Yeah, I've actually completely removed handedness from the algorithm because although it was originally to help simplify it, it ended up making it way more complex.

Other than that, this is following the exact functionality we've planned on. It's simple enough (on the frontend of the code) that you can easily control a human character's actions, and flexible enough that you can also use it control something completely inhuman (for example, a spider).

Also doing stuff like simulating livers or brain tumors can be done through it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

29. Post #1269
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,614 Posts
    I've been a bit worried about feature creep and abstraction with my designs. I want to write something that does one thing and does it well, but I want multiple backends and I think the solution is to just have generic code but I don't want to just have this mess of abstracting everything. I still wonder if generic code is better than abstractions.

Lemma is gonna be Streamed on Monday Night Indie by a bigshot at Desura or something like that tonight. ~9:00PM PST, Evan and I will be on the stream as well.
    Will there be a recording? That's 7AM my time which is usually when I'm booting up my computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

30. Post #1270
    Hi.
    July 2011
    5,253 Posts
    I saw the last two minutes of the stream, looks cool. Too bad there weren't many people watching.

Also well done on the shameless scrap.tf plug.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

31. Post #1271
    Person
    June 2008
    9,136 Posts
    I saw the last two minutes of the stream, looks cool. Too bad there weren't many people watching.

Also well done on the shameless scrap.tf plug.
    It was really useful for feedback on the gameplay, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

32. Post #1272
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,672 Posts
    This is a side-project for the week. This game has been floating around my head for a long time and the week long /agdg/ microgame jam was a good enough excuse to finally start it. It's simple enough and easy to execute, which gives me a lot of time to juice the hell out of it.

All you have to do is survive the barrage of missiles for 30 seconds.

This is after 2 days of work. I spent the better part of Sunday hashing out the core mechanics of the game. Today I spent a little over four hours turning all the placeholder cubes into real art.

The skybox and ship are from opengameart.org. The music is from Macross Frontier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 19Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

33. Post #1273
    July 2013
    467 Posts
    Henley is the Head Content Administrator for the Desura network :P I used to be content admin there too. Still have my permision, but no time :c Was doing it as volunteer since i talked to the guys a lot when moddb was still rather small
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events

34. Post #1274
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,930 Posts
    This is a side-project for the week. This game has been floating around my head for a long time and the week long /agdg/ microgame jam was a good enough excuse to finally start it. It's simple enough and easy to execute, which gives me a lot of time to juice the hell out of it.

All you have to do is survive the barrage of missiles for 30 seconds.

This is after 2 days of work. I spent the better part of Sunday hashing out the core mechanics of the game. Today I spent a little over four hours turning all the placeholder cubes into real art.

The skybox and ship are from opengameart.org. The music is from Macross Frontier.
    I quite like the idea of this, it could easily become one of those super addicting types. If it were fleshed out a bit more, I could see myself paying for it. Though I do think that changing it from a 30 second run, to a see how far you can get sort of survival mode would play better.

Depending on what sort of visual style you want to go with, I might be able to help with some modeling if you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

35. Post #1275
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    680 Posts
    Reminds me of Darwinia.

Sure.

It all starts with a grid.

The white parts are where the island will be.
    It's generated by starting from the center tile and then walking
    randomly around the grid in two directions until they hit an edge.
    After that I extrude the shape by enabling all tiles around every already enabled tile.

Then I generate a heightmap from the grid and feed it to Unitys built-in terrain engine.

The last part is to populate the island with desert and forests.

I do that in a similar fashion as the island shape.
    Instead of starting in the middle and walking in two directions,
    forests starts on a random empty tile and walk in all four directions (no diagonals),
    and instead of stopping when they hit an edge, I decrease a "health" variable each step, and stop when it reaches zero.
    Then I repeat that a few times all over the island.

Then I fill the rest of the tiles with desert.
    You can also see the city in the last image.

I love how that water looks.
    Thanks! I'll tell the artist.

This is what the water looks like in motion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 16Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

36. Post #1276
    July 2013
    467 Posts
    -explanation-
    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

37. Post #1277
    September 2012
    1,082 Posts
    remember to not bully

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #1278
    October 2011
    1,352 Posts
    I sure wish I wasn't a lazy piece of shit that felt like everything in OpenGL was too super duper complicated to finish displaying "Hello world" from a bitmap font.

Oh hey, that steam game finished downloading...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

39. Post #1279
    I gave enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,021 Posts
    More boxes! I changed the way objects are created again so creating special objects would be easier. Like conveyors. Also you can set the object angle.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

40. Post #1280
    June 2014
    329 Posts
    On a small note, I discovered Tox, as well as SharpTox (a .NET wrapper) and spent a good two hours last night writing this:

And it actually works, which is something :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)