1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,627 Posts
    A new zero-day vulnerability that resides in all versions of Internet Explorer has been spotted in the wild, Microsoft confirmed late Saturday.

The vulnerability, which could allow remote code execution, is being used in "limited, targeted attacks," according to an advisory issued by Microsoft. While all versions of the web browser, IE 6 through 11, are affected by the vulnerability, attacks are currently targeting IE versions 9, 10 and 11, according to security firm FireEye, which first reported the flaw Friday.
    http://www.cnet.com/news/new-zero-da...ersions-of-ie/

Note that this vulnerability only affects people who go to a webpage that was specifically created to exploit this vulnerability. So things like trusted websites (like google) really aren't affected by this.

Microsoft listed a few ways to mitigate the vulnerability in their security advisory, which there is a link to in the article. However the most effective thing to do is really to just switch browsers until there is a fix (or forever).

Essentially this vulnerability allows for execution of arbitrary code on the user's computer by corrupting memory to. A more in-depth technical explanation can be found here.

http://www.fireeye.com/blog/uncatego...d-attacks.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny x 25Late x 5Useful x 3Friendly x 1Artistic x 1Starred x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    And so the 5 people who still have IE were worried.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 27Funny x 8Agree x 7Zing x 1Late x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,950 Posts
    Didn't know only 10 people use the internet world wide.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Zing x 48Funny x 4Late x 2Dumb x 1Agree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    November 2008
    100 Posts
    This probably affects most facepunch users then since most are so stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb x 53Funny x 38Agree x 6Zing x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1Starred x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,543 Posts
    Look, I get the joke you're trying to make, but it doesn't work. It's not hard to see that users here often jerk to their browser choice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    11,880 Posts
    IE 11 is actually a decent browser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 42Disagree x 16Funny x 8Informative x 2Optimistic x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,814 Posts
    Reading posts of people still bashing IE just brings me back to 2007.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Mwah~<3
    October 2005
    4,182 Posts
    "Browser superiority" is fucking ridiculous.

Yeah, you use on browser over another. Doesn't make you any smarter than anyone else who doesn't use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Chase827's Bitch
    January 2012
    4,277 Posts

notice deviant art
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

10. Post #10
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,615 Posts
    this is why people should've just stuck with ie3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    What's brevity?
    Dennab
    June 2006
    24,062 Posts
    Man, I haven't used IE in years, to be frank. Been with Firefox all this time, though with that said, what particular advantages do Chrome and Opera have over Firefox? Are faster load times and better RAM usage amongst said pros?

12. Post #12

not good with computer

June 2013
    2,657 Posts
    Man, I haven't used IE in years, to be frank. Been with Firefox all this time, though with that said, what particular advantages do Chrome and Opera have over Firefox? Are faster load times and better RAM usage amongst said pros?
    Opera's not good anymore. I like Chrome for its minimalist interface, multiprocess browsing, cross-platform sync, and integration with Google services I use. It's also very speedy compared to firefox. Chrome is, however, a complete RAM whore due to the fact that its multiprocess philosophy causes it to run in several chrome.exes simultaneously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

13. Post #13
    :thinking:
    March 2010
    11,278 Posts

Yeah, you use on browser over another. Doesn't make you any smarter than anyone else who doesn't use it.
    Found the IE user.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 40Starred Starred x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Killed postal with a fart once.
    December 2007
    16,597 Posts
    I use Chrome for ease of use.
    Firefox is probably a better browser, but I still prefer Chrome 2:1.

Also Chrome opens like 5 instances of itself depending on how many tabs you open. It's probably not the best if you want something that leaves a lot of memory available.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    ffFf
    June 2005
    4,522 Posts
    no need for such harsh words
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Nintendo Wii United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 21Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member

September 2007
    3,211 Posts
    Found the IE user.
    Get him
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 32 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2009
    750 Posts
    I don't use IE for the same reason I wouldn't buy an American car; they're historically bad. I get grief for this all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Starred Starred x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    7,593 Posts
    Opera more or less died with v12. After that they switched from their own engine to Chromium, which meant a complete overhaul without any of the old features or addons, not even bookmarks, just a somewhat fancy "New Tab" page.

I've heard they've been slowly patching back some features and there's a big extension catalog of course since it's running the Chrome infrastructure, but I see no reason to pick it over Chrome itself.

(if this post is showing me posting via Firefox, that's because my Opera12 masks itself to prevent "your browser is too old for this website" banners)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    10,292 Posts
    IE on a Wii???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,797 Posts
    IE on a Wii???
    Two possibilities:

1. User Agent spoofing
    2. He's the manliest motherfucker on earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

21. Post #21
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    6,120 Posts
    You guys are all lame I still got netscape on my windows 98 machine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,274 Posts
    Swing aaaaand miss.

Edited:

IE11 is actually not bad at all, shame they don't allow extensions other than toolbars.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2005
    3,955 Posts
    shame they don't allow extensions other than toolbars.
    Uh, no?

There are several plugins available for IE that aren't toolbars.

Ghostery, Adblock Plus, Simple Adblock, Speckie (spellcheck), Avast! web plugin, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,166 Posts
    IE is great if you aren't a web developer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    10,292 Posts
    IE is in a catch 22. No decent plug ins that are on Chrome and FireFox are available, making it less appealing. It's less appealing and has less users (considering users that are aware of an actively use plug ins), so they don't really want to put their plug-ins/extensions on IE.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,257 Posts
    IE11 isn't that bad, I prefer not to use it though as most of the interface is clunky when you least need it to be. Autofill is a hit and miss when I use it, and when it works it looks like it was stripped from an older version of IE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 98 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,284 Posts

How the fuck are you doing this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Show Events Late Late x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,082 Posts
    98 posts and you already had a perma and three bans.

man when I grow up I'd love to be more like you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2005
    3,955 Posts

How the fuck are you doing this
    User agent switcher, not that difficult.

30. Post #30
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,178 Posts
    Well IE6, 7 and 8 are the only versions of IE supported on XP, so here we go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member

March 2012
    2,311 Posts
    Well IE6, 7 and 8 are the only versions of IE supported on XP, so here we go
    This is one of the reasons these browsers fuck over web developers. Since the usage share of XP is still high, you may want to support IE8 and IE8 is soo behind standards. In fact, unlike other browsers at the time, if you tried to use HTML5 it will actually remove the element instead of trying to display it with standard rendering. There's workarounds if you use JavaScript but then there's the other million styling issues you have to fix.

IE6 is a fucking joke but only a couple of countries (China) have a usage share of over 1%.

If you view webpages in IE6-8 without JavaScript enabled in 2014 you might as well be using IE1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,606 Posts
    Good thing I still use IE 5.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Stuart
    April 2006
    1,694 Posts
    Literally uncalled for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,079 Posts

Yeah! Unless you use Chrome, of course.

edit: My little IE logo fucked up, but this post would've been funny if it was there, trust me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,195 Posts
    Enhanced Protected Mode in IE breaks the exploit in our tests. EPM was introduced in IE10.
    and this setting is on by default but yes please don't mention that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    9,896 Posts
    Chrome stopped working properly for me on my laptop so I gave IE11 a chance. It definitely feels faster than chrome, so I'm staying with it. Still using chrome on my desktop because of add-ons though (Mostly add-ons that fix youtube).

37. Post #37
    June 2013
    6,442 Posts
    I knew Internet Explorer~tan was hiding something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,493 Posts
    I knew Internet Explorer~tan was hiding something.
    I'd like to explore Internet Explorer-tan and find her vulnerabilities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

39. Post #39
    December 2013
    841 Posts
    Internet explorer is OK but i never use it due to the fact that it fucking lags everything on my PC for a few secs and tries to install bunch of shits i didn't ask for.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,935 Posts
    Chrome stopped working properly for me on my laptop so I gave IE11 a chance. It definitely feels faster than chrome, so I'm staying with it. Still using chrome on my desktop because of add-ons though (Mostly add-ons that fix youtube).
    it's faster because you aren't using any addons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)