1. Post #1
    December 2008
    6,631 Posts
    What are AP Exams?
    AP, or Advanced Placement, is a program by College Board where classes taken in high school (US + Canada only) can qualify you for credit-hours in colleges. These classes are much more rigorous than regular high school classes.

To qualify for credit-hours, you must take the AP exam and get a certain grade on it (ranges from 1-5, 1 being the lowest). Qualifying for credit-hours depends on the college you're applying to.

College Board also does the SAT, which is offered throughout the year. As well as a test similar to the ACT, they offer subject tests that test your knowledge of specific subjects. Some colleges require that you have some subject tests before applying with your main SAT composite score.

What AP exams are you taking? I'll be taking AP Spanish Language, AP Calculus AB, and AP English Lit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    AP Physics C: Mechanics here. Let the cramming begin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,415 Posts
    Really not looking foward to the World History exam... 60% of all testers got 0/9 on one of the open responses last year.

4. Post #4
    Giving Away Games
    December 2009
    3,938 Posts
    Oh hey I remember those
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,483 Posts
    lit, Bio, and Java
    God help us all

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,764 Posts
    I live in the north east so my AP US History exam was pushed back a week from snow. My school is providing pizza too.

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    May 2010
    3,746 Posts
    AP Physics C: Mechanics here. Let the cramming begin.

If you have questions feel free to post in the phyiscs thread, it's kind of dead.

8. Post #8

April 2014
    177 Posts
    I got a 5 on the APUS exam and didn't even study for it.

Also fuck standardized testing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    December 2008
    6,631 Posts
    Oh hey I remember those
    I wouldn't be surprised if I also got a 1 on my AP spanish exam

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,574 Posts
    English language and comp, computer science, and chemistry... I'm fucked on English

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    1,094 Posts
    AP Physics C: Mechanics
    AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism
    AP Calculus BC
    AP US Government
    AP Microeconomics

...hm

btw they're ridiculously expensive too, at $95 a pop!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Giving Away Games
    December 2009
    3,938 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if I also got a 1 on my AP spanish exam
    I actually did a practice exam with my teacher, and got something comparable to a 4. The shitty thing about Spanish and English AP tests is that they can be subjective. Perhaps the person grading my exam was critical of the way I enunciated, or maybe they didn't like my sentence structure. All you can really do is try your best. I honestly thought coming out of Spanish I was getting a 3 and a 2 on English.

Edited:

AP Physics C: Mechanics
    AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism
    AP Calculus BC
    AP US Government
    AP Microeconomics

...hm

btw they're ridiculously expensive too, at $95 a pop!
    Not expensive at all. Considering that tuition for South Dakota Residents attending a state college is ~$250 per credit hour (which is on the cheap end of cheap), you save hundreds by taking the exam and not having to take a course at your college. I saved about $2750 by doing this, including the cost of the exams.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,972 Posts
    I'm just taking AP US Gov here. I got a 4 on the US history test last year, but taking gov is a little... different. My history teacher from last year said to not worry about and he's confident I'll get a least a 4 (I'm aiming to get a 5 since it's one of the easier AP class). I got a 52 out of 60 on the prep test, but it just was an easy test. I love to take one of the AP Physics classes, but my school only offers ones that requires you take Calculus the same year. I also have a few friends taking AP Biology (godspeed).

14. Post #14
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    8,056 Posts
    I'm taking AP US History. My teacher is a complete hack though, he's terrible at teaching, overloads us with busy work stuff that he doesn't even take for a grade, and to top it off, he's a hardcore Southern Baptist and believes that the moon landing was a hoax.

I also took the ACT in February and got a 33 on it (7 on the writing, I can't write worth anything). We also just took it as the whole junior class at my school last week, so I'm awaiting results on that.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,063 Posts
    Last year: 3 on Language Composition, 4 on US History.

This year: Chemistry and English Literature

That feeling when you have the very first exam in the building. On a Monday morning.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,804 Posts
    Where my AP Stats motherfuckers at, you ready to sit back and let the calculator do everything?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Dennab
    May 2010
    3,746 Posts
    I actually did a practice exam with my teacher, and got something comparable to a 4. The shitty thing about Spanish and English AP tests is that they can be subjective. Perhaps the person grading my exam was critical of the way I enunciated, or maybe they didn't like my sentence structure. All you can really do is try your best. I honestly thought coming out of Spanish I was getting a 3 and a 2 on English.

Edited:

Not expensive at all. Considering that tuition for South Dakota Residents attending a state college is ~$250 per credit hour (which is on the cheap end of cheap), you save hundreds by taking the exam and not having to take a course at your college. I saved about $2750 by doing this, including the cost of the exams.
    Fuck that's cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    I don't wanna Dang ol' yo.
    September 2009
    10,038 Posts
    Ah I remember the exams. Apparently on the AP spanish exam if you fool the tape you talk into appearing damaged they only grade the written part. I got a 5 on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Ask Rohan about rust keys!
    August 2011
    3,647 Posts
    AP Computer Science here.

I should probably start studying by now...

20. Post #20
    August 2012
    342 Posts
    AP psych. I actually think I'm okay for the most part. If I don't study I'll still get at least a 4

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,251 Posts
    Calc BC and Physics B. I've got a super solid/nearly perfect 5 in the bag for Calc, and I'll probably do fine on Physics
    I got 2020 on the SAT, and a 33 on the ACT
    Although I got like, a 5 or 6 on the ACT Essay section so I have to take a fucking 2 hour, 1000 word essay test on May 10th to prove to the UC system that I can, in fact, speak english, or else even more stupid shit happens
    Isn't being unable to write quickly, legibly, or within any short timeframe just so much fun??

22. Post #22
    August 2012
    342 Posts
    By the way, do you guys have any tips for the FRQs? We have practice ones in our class but I always suck at them.

23. Post #23
    Giving Away Games
    December 2009
    3,938 Posts
    Fuck that's cheap.
    Like I said, cheap end of cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    4,075 Posts
    Good luck guys. I took one class last semester and took this semester off and I'm already halfway to my associate's thanks to my AP credits.

25. Post #25
    Do the Shakey Jakey
    April 2011
    3,284 Posts
    US History, English Language + Comp, and Chemistry.

I can't wait for the trainwreck that'll be the chemistry exam next Monday, my class is entirely unprepared for it.

26. Post #26
    June 2011
    134 Posts
    AP English, and Psychology here.

I'm expecting a 4 on English and a 3-4 on Psychology (I hate studying for that class in all actuality)

27. Post #27

not good with computer

June 2013
    2,663 Posts
    AP English and AP Euro here. Not expecting to do well.

On the other hand, I got both for $15 total. Yay.

28. Post #28
    "TOO FUCKIN' STUPID"
    March 2010
    2,295 Posts
    AP US History over here.

help   

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,574 Posts
    AP Computer Science here.

I should probably start studying by now...
    All I have to say about AP comp sci is, fuck everything about GridWorld.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

30. Post #30
    Ask Rohan about rust keys!
    August 2011
    3,647 Posts
    This, it's so unnecessary.

31. Post #31
    Best Gamemode Ever
    July 2011
    1,703 Posts
    I'm taking AP Stats, AP US and AP Lit next year as a junior, then probably gonna take AP calc, AP physics B, AP environmental science(maybe) senior year.
    FUcking highschool is gonna blow ass for the next 2 years

32. Post #32
    Giving Away Games
    December 2009
    3,938 Posts
    Funny story about that. I learned almost nothing in my AP Comp Sci class. Gridworld tataught me nothing and our teacher was too busy teaching the entry level Java class to teach us anything. However, I decided to enter a programming competition at some Engineering convention for High Schoolers, and I learned more in that 3 hours struggling to make my code work than I did the entire year.

Also, we got first place. One team quit midway through, the other team got nothing done. We got one program to work on our machine that didn't work on the judge's machine, and one that didn't work on ours worked on theirs, so we got a single point.

33. Post #33
    About as smart and adept as a pile of turds
    January 2010
    3,341 Posts
    We've been writing DBQs all day erry day in APWH.

My first AP class

34. Post #34
    101% Asian
    Dennab
    April 2007
    3,082 Posts
    I'm taking the Calculus BC AP Test. Forgive me father for this 1 I'm about to receive.

35. Post #35
    PM this guy if you want zombies back in Rust -garry
    December 2012
    895 Posts
    Never took an AP course in high school as it's usually more work than an actual college class. And I wasn't smart enough.

I know certain tidbits of US history so I can help there.

36. Post #36
    Harold Ramis's No. 1 Fan
    June 2010
    2,092 Posts
    AP Human Geo here, I'll be taking AP Comp Sci next year possibly along with AP Biology.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,972 Posts
    Last year I took AP US, forgot to check y score I should do that.

This year its AP English Lan. + Comp, and AP Euro.

38. Post #38
    October 2009
    1,589 Posts
    I've got the AP Government and the AP Psychology tests, but I'm more worried about my test at work more than those two.

I hate my job.

39. Post #39
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    8,924 Posts
    AP Psych and AP Music Theory. Let's go.

40. Post #40
    January 2012
    1,824 Posts
    I'm taking 4 exams this year:
    - AP Chemistry
    - AP Calculus AB