1. Post #1
    February 2014
    115 Posts
    Hello! Just a quick question, are hollow spheres possible in Hammer? When I created a sphere, and used the Make Hollow tool, I ended up with this abomination.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 18Funny Funny x 7 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,178 Posts
    face edges must meet, hollow overlaps them.

Edited:

Oh, those aren't displacement faces...

Good lord man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,344 Posts
    Make a model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    3,688 Posts
    What I would do is first make a sphere, then make another from scratch with the cut/divide and vertex tool using the first one as a guide, delete the first one and copy paste the 2nd one. Then I would "make hollow" the new third one, and use that as a guide to make a 4th final one out of multiple brushes by hand using the 3rd as a reference.

But a model sounds easier and more optimized

5. Post #5
    October 2008
    665 Posts
    Make two spheres with the sphere brush tool, a smaller one at the center of the other.
    Then carve.

Watch your computer explode in seconds.

Just joking, a model will be a a nice option, as onebit said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,178 Posts
    The only non model solution I can see is subdividing inward-facing displacement faces, but that won't be a perfect sphere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    864 Posts
    If you're not going to do a model, you can use Twister to generate displacements like this. I think it can do sphere interiors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,304 Posts
    Simplest way,even though it's not a perfect sphere:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2014
    92 Posts
    I made a map just out of boredom which was enclosed in a hollow sphere, the process involved making a sphere with the max amount of indicies and then hollowed it inwards for i think was about 16 units so it wasn't a negative number, there were alt+p errors which i had to fix but I didn't notice a difference, here is a picture of that map, i've made it a playable map but haven't yet released it on my workshop.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2011
    206 Posts

ew
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2005
    3,955 Posts
    It's not really hard to make parabolas and spheres, it just takes a long time and is pretty impractical since it eats tons of brushes.

Using a model makes more sense, though getting a perfect collision hull for it would be a monumental pain in the ass, not to mention be expensive to interact with in the engine.

12. Post #12
    March 2011
    206 Posts
    I remember making a sphere map once to see how many times I could get the crossbow bolt to bounce, turns out it was quite a lot. Just used the sphere preset on brush tool and make hollow, which fucked it a bit but it still functioned as a hollow sphere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2012
    1,077 Posts
    Oh yeah, I forgot I'd already made something like this a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAAIpkTU5e8&t=1m

If you're too lazy to do it yourself, here's the map. Just dupe the gray dome bit three more times and put the pieces into place, then scale them.

14. Post #14
    April 2011
    815 Posts
    If I'm not mistaken, can't the Torus tool be altered to create a shape like that?

15. Post #15
    August 2012
    1,077 Posts
    Yeah, it can.

16. Post #16
    April 2011
    815 Posts
    Yeah, it can.
    In that case, hollow spheres aren't as bad as they seem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2012
    1,077 Posts
    Yeah, it can.
    Not in Hammer though.

Here, have a hollow sphere: sphere.rmf
    204820482048, wall width 64, as per the OP. 32 sides, 1024 brushes total, all verts on grid. Done with Sledge.
    Yes, it's an RMF, Sledge and VMFs don't get along all that well. Just change the file type to "Worldcraft RMFs (*.rmf)" when opening the file in Hammer.

18. Post #18
    September 2013
    192 Posts
    Your best option is the Torus tool, indeed.

Either you can use Twister or make it a displacement.