1. Post #1
    It's Treason Then
    December 2008
    23,148 Posts
    I'd say that the trees are giving it away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree x 53Funny x 5Artistic x 3Winner x 2Agree x 2Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    603 Posts
    little bit of an exaggeration here, but still a beautiful game..unbelievable, never knew it looked that good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

3. Post #3
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    November 2005
    22,927 Posts
    Too much reflection and high def textures!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 52Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    26,853 Posts
    shame it plays like a massive turd at the moment. obviously it's an alpha/beta stage early access thing but honestly it feels like it has been getting worse and less stable for the past few months

best thing that ever happened to these devs was getting their crowd-funding shut down because now everyone can lap up trailers of how beautiful the game looks but never have the doubtfulness of actually playing this thing

still, pcars has the best sound design of any racing game ever

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    11,704 Posts
    shame it plays like a massive turd at the moment. obviously it's an alpha/beta stage early access thing
    Aww, I wish I bought into the beta before it was too late

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    26,853 Posts
    Aww, I wish I bought into the beta before it was too late
    in fairness to them there are certain cars and tracks in the game that are okay but they're still having some pretty bad tire model and input issues

also depending on what level of access you have to the early-access, ie. how much money you pledged and therefore how often you get updates and how much is in those updates, you can end up having an unplayable game for a month - some people get updates weekly but i only get updates monthly pretty much no matter what. so if on the first day of the month they release an update where you can't even navigate the menus (this month), some people will get that fixed the next day but i have to wait until may to have that fixed

they've got an amazing amount of content in the game for a beta but 90% of it is unplayable. this really makes me worry about their development because it just makes them look like they don't have a clue what they're doing. like they have 2 or 3 tracks and cars that they tinker with often, giving me, for example, alternate months of excellent bmw z4 and unplayable bmw z4

it sounds like i'm ranting but honestly i do have high hopes for pcars - it looks and sounds incredible and has a great low-barrier of entry for a sim and with the promise of singleplayer careers it will really set itself apart from the other sim choices like rfactor and iracing which are multiplayer only

but it kinda irks me that these days, since they locked the crowd-funding, all the public gets to see is 'wow amazing graphics this is gonna be the best game ever!' while i'm here wondering if they're even gonna manage to release the game on time because right now it's a mess
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    June 2007
    8,436 Posts
    also depending on what level of access you have to the early-access, ie. how much money you pledged and therefore how often you get updates and how much is in those updates, you can end up having an unplayable game for a month - some people get updates weekly but i only get updates monthly pretty much no matter what. so if on the first day of the month they release an update where you can't even navigate the menus (this month), some people will get that fixed the next day but i have to wait until may to have that fixed
    Sounds like money grubbing to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

8. Post #8
    I'LL NEVER STOP
    Dennab
    July 2008
    2,667 Posts
    One day there will be a racing game that doesn't have 2d sprite crowds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 27 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,988 Posts
    Remove the crowd.

Problem Solved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 21Agree Agree x 6 (list)

10. Post #10
    Hello Handsome
    February 2010
    14,782 Posts
    It looks way too saturated and clean to look anything near real life, but damn if I'm not impressed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,139 Posts
    How can real life be equasl to a shitty gopro camera together with youtube compression and low resolution/framerate video?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 14Zing Zing x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,139 Posts
    -aaa fuck facepunch lagged duped my post-

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

February 2005
    3,394 Posts
    I'm not a fan of the whole early access tiers fad in the first place, but that is the worst sounding implementation of it I can possibly think of and people shouldn't be encouraging it by forking more money over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

14. Post #14
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,289 Posts
    Those flat rock textures and obvious repeating textures give it away instantly lol. They're not even bump mapped, let alone parallexed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,598 Posts
    You could possibly get a real car that shiny with some polish + wax. Otherwise they look the same to me other than the higher definition on the roads.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,831 Posts
    I don't want realism in my games, I want style.
    If I wanted real-to-life graphics, I'll go outside for fuck's sake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,598 Posts
    yeah, go outside and drive my $200k BMW M3 and drive across the ocean to a race track.

Edited:

its a simulator not a cartoon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,831 Posts
    yeah, go outside and drive my $200k BMW M3 and drive across the ocean to a race track.

Edited:

its a simulator not a cartoon
    I'd much rather have my sim look like Forza than a bunch of pictures. I'm not saying it should be a 'cartoon,' I'm saying that it shouldn't be boring to look at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,598 Posts
    what??? part of simulation is looking real. forza isn't even a simulator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    9,442 Posts
    I'd rather drive that off a ramp, crash through a building, enter the Matrix, find all the hoocruxes, defeat space and time, destroy the ring, do a 360 through String Theory, destroy Hitler, become a European Citizen, destroy gravity, speedrun Whomp's Fortress, boomerang around Xen, collapse into a wormhole, defeat the wormhole, enter a dream, destroy the dream, leave the dream, time-travel the 80's for a "tubular hot babe" and end at the drive-thru for a Jalepeno Burger. Reality is boring.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,122 Posts
    I'd rather drive that off a ramp, crash through a building, enter the Matrix, find all the hoocruxes, defeat space and time, destroy the ring, do a 360 through String Theory, destroy Hitler, become a European Citizen, destroy gravity, speedrun Whomp's Fortress, boomerang around Xen, collapse into a wormhole, defeat the wormhole, enter a dream, destroy the dream, leave the dream, time-travel the 80's for a "tubular hot babe" and end at the drive-thru for a Jalepeno Burger. Reality is boring.
    you forgot going to hell thrice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    December 2011
    630 Posts
    The scale in the game looks way off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    August 2012
    4,013 Posts
    Remove the crowd.

Problem Solved.
    GT4 tried that and the tracks felt empty as fuck.
    Not a good feeling, honestly.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    11,182 Posts
    Too much reflection and high def textures!!!!!
    .....too much high definition? please tell me you are kidding. you're telling me an actual racing simulator (not an arcade game, not Need for Speed, a fucking simulator) is too high quality?

Edited:

yeah but nobody gives a fuck about what you want because literally so few people have this opinion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    11,704 Posts
    Dirt / GRID irks me because they only have like 4 crowd cycle animations and they're all in sync, so when I'm waiting for the race to start I have 25 people fist pumping me at the same time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    April 2011
    452 Posts
    for the real video, the curvature of the image caused by the lens gives it a greater sense of speed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,304 Posts
    There's lack of any shading or shadows,everything looks too flat.The road looks fairly decent if it's supposed to look wet.The trees still look like crossed planes though and repeat badly.
    If it wouldn't be for the hood and road reflections it looks like a ps2 game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,071 Posts
    There's lack of any shading or shadows,everything looks too flat.The road looks fairly decent if it's supposed to look wet.The trees still look like crossed planes though and repeat badly.
    The game is in beta at best. This is from an Alpha(?) build, a shot that I took awhile back:

There is a distinct lack of self shadows visible. But they have basis to make the game look even better as time goes on. They'll have it looking good before it's all over (except the trees, not one can make good looking trees it seems.)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    26,853 Posts
    hyperbole much?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,396 Posts
    Didn't Dirt 2 have 3D crowds?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    26,853 Posts

the audio is insane

Edited:

Didn't Dirt 2 have 3D crowds?
    aye dirt 2 and 3 have mostly 3D crowds, at least for those near the tracks. the models are probably 100-200 polys or something like that

pcars has some 3D crowd members too but they tend to be only specific ones that are animated to do certain things like wave flags. that said pcars is centered around racing at massive international circuits that hold tens of thousands of spectators so there's no practical way they could have 3D crowds

Edited:

There is a distinct lack of self shadows visible
    you took the screenshot during cloudy, wet weather. of course there's going to be less self-shadowing - theirs no sunlight
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    The problem is the reflections don't seem to properly line up. I know the perspectives may be different, but the pCARS one's seems to include too much of the surroundings, like a cheap screenspace thing. Looks good, but not entirely convincing.

pCARS obviously can look incredible, but it's not perfect, and not perfect all the time. The lighting certainly can look incredible. The road texture and lighting looked fantastic.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,231 Posts
    To me all racing games have looked more or less the same since G.R.I.D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    To me all racing games have looked more or less the same since G.R.I.D
    I've recently gone and played GRID. It's the pinnacle of the "gritty" 2006-2008 visual style of literally yellow and brown. Seriously, GRID looks so fucking monochrome it is amazing. And I usually defend game's styles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    26,853 Posts
    I've recently gone and played GRID. It's the pinnacle of the "gritty" 2006-2008 visual style of literally yellow and brown. Seriously, GRID looks so fucking monochrome it is amazing. And I usually defend game's styles.
    now you've reminded me that f1 2010 exists

bleurgh

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    6,824 Posts
    Real life has shitty road textures but the off-road parts of Project CARS are so shiny.

37. Post #37
    Real life has shitty road textures but the off-road parts of Project CARS are so shiny.
    Looks wet and damp to me, in that sense it felt real, but the external environment didn't match.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)