1. Post #801
    Aj
    September 2012
    567 Posts
    Jesus this is ridiculous,I know it's a needle in a haystack situation but I would have thought we would SOMETHING else by now
    I thought we would something else but we havent something else yet so maybe we will something else tomorrow.

2. Post #802
    Gone but never forgotten.
    November 2009
    19,633 Posts
    The thing is that modern planes are specifically designed to fall apart in water. By now all of the seats would have surfaced.
    "modern planes" What defines it as modern? A lot of the planes flying are 20+ years old
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #803
    November 2013
    1,943 Posts
    "modern planes" What defines it as modern? A lot of the planes flying are 20+ years old
    This one was 12 years old

http://www.planespotters.net/Product...a-Airlines.php
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #804
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,182 Posts
    So 9 News just posted this to their Facebook saying

If the wreckage of missing flight #MH370 is found, focus will turn to assessing the debris. TONIGHT, 9 News takes you inside a world-renowned crash lab where experts work out what went wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23 (list)

5. Post #805
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    202 Posts
    just deleted the email that i sent the U.S. government. fking ungrateful bastards never answered me back . just caught up with this thread and its been a week and they still didnt find it... no shit you didnt !! i swear if they find the plane and i find out that they archived the email and used it without my permission i will sue them . all they had to do was email me back but now i told them they are not allowed to use my research.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Iceland Show Events Funny Funny x 31Dumb Dumb x 8Starred Starred x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #806
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,113 Posts
    just deleted the email that i sent the U.S. government. fking ungrateful bastards never answered me back . just caught up with this thread and its been a week and they still didnt find it... no shit you didnt !! i swear if they find the plane and i find out that they archived the email and used it without my permission i will sue them . all they had to do was email me back but now i told them they are not allowed to use my research.
    What the fuck are you going on about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

7. Post #807
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    7,680 Posts
    What the fuck are you going on about?
    He is high/dumb as hell raving about knowing where the plane is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #808
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    202 Posts
    Well i did a lot of research on this ( i'm very good at statistics and learning it in uni) and using complex formulas i was almost 90% sure where the plane was and i sent the U.S. gov. my research and they never responded or maybe didnt even read it. pretty disrespectful to ignore the advice of an expert but im not gonna get bothered about it i dont care anymore . i hope everyone on this plane is ok but im not gonna help them find it anymore and i will be very upset if they use my research secretely.

(User was banned for this post ("Semi-autistic trolling at this point, last chance." - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Iceland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 32Funny Funny x 27Starred Starred x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #809
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,113 Posts
    Well i did a lot of research on this ( i'm very good at statistics and learning it in uni) and using complex formulas i was almost 90% sure where the plane was and i sent the U.S. gov. my research and they never responded or maybe didnt even read it. pretty disrespectful to ignore the advice of an expert but im not gonna get bothered about it i dont care anymore . i hope everyone on this plane is ok but im not gonna help them find it anymore and i will be very upset if they use my research secretely.
    Are you trolling or are you just fucked in the head?

Reading your posts I'm convinced that you're 13 years old. At the most.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

10. Post #810
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,727 Posts
    pfffffft im pretty sure that they have better statisticians at their disposal than one moderately incoherent icelandic uni student
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 28Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #811
    Dennab
    July 2011
    772 Posts
    Sindri when are you just gonna call it quits? You're by no means an expert and it's hilarious watching you claim to be one. You won't even post these "complex formulas" you're claiming to be using.

You're a joke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Starred Starred x 7 (list)

12. Post #812
    January 2009
    597 Posts
    If you're studying statistics in university, devise a null hypothesis and an alternative hypothesis for the location of the plane. Then use the Neyman-Pearson lemma to find the best rejection region for your hypothesis. [10 marks]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Kuwait Show Events Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #813
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,183 Posts
    You talkin shit mate I devised the location of the plane using my balls to see the future and sent an email to the Nigerian government, bastards still haven't responded so I'm gonna send the fuckers some pizza.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

14. Post #814
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    202 Posts
    If you're studying statistics in university, devise a null hypothesis and an alternative hypothesis for the location of the plane. Then use the Neyman-Pearson lemma to find the best rejection region for your hypothesis. [10 marks]
    I did hypothesis test and i used a 99% confidence interval which means its 1% chance that i accepted something wrong and the hypothesis turned out true. whatever man lets just hope they find the plane and the people are okay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Iceland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Funny Funny x 6 (list)

15. Post #815
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,603 Posts
    yall are getting trolled pretty hard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #816
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,113 Posts
    I did hypothesis test and i used a 99% confidence interval which means its 1% chance that i accepted something wrong and the hypothesis turned out true. whatever man lets just hope they find the plane and the people are okay
    Here's an expert statistician alright. Bolding 'confidence interval' as if it's some super-advanced concept, despite it being a thing that you learn with studying even first-year Commerce at university.

17. Post #817
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    9,185 Posts

(User was banned for this post ("Semi-autistic trolling at this point, last chance." - Craptasket))
    I'm a little bit sad that I won't see anymore posts from you for another month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #818
    Certified Witch - Action Girl Department
    August 2010
    4,469 Posts

nooo craptasket why did you do that he was our last hope

now the plane is lost forever good going guys the whole world hates us now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #819
    Dennab
    December 2012
    3,752 Posts
    What the fuck does this even means?

Lol, I see you mastered the force of trolling, Sithtrolling lord

20. Post #820
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    15,487 Posts
    His last thread was hilarious.

21. Post #821
    March 2013
    364 Posts
    This might turn into a matter of politics...I think.

here is an axiom in Malaysian politics: Eventually everything comes back to Anwar Ibrahim. So, the longer that the fumbling and inept investigation into the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has gone on, the more certain it became that it would somehow boomerang to the leader of the country’s democratic opposition.

On Saturday, Prime Minister Najib Razak went before the cameras to declare that officials believe the plane was deliberately diverted and flown in an unknown direction somewhere along a wide arc from Kazakhstan to deep into the Indian Ocean. Now that the search for the Boeing 777 has turned into a criminal investigation, the authorities are taking a close look at the flight’s chief pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, and its first officer, Fariq Abdul Hamid.

They quickly learned—as no doubt all of Shah’s friends knew—that the pilot was a strong supporter of Anwar Ibrahim’s People’s Justice Party. Indeed, Shah is believed to have attended Anwar’s court hearing on March 7 that overturned his 2012 acquittal on sodomy charges, a politically motivated case that the Malaysian government typically dusts off around election time. On Sunday, the U.K. and Malaysian press treated the revelation with the shock you might reserve for damning evidence. Shah was described—by an unnamed source—as a “fanatical supporter of the country’s opposition leader.” Elsewhere, he is described (apparently by unnamed police sources) as “fervent” and “strident” in his political convictions. More than a week after the Boeing 777 disappeared, we lack a motive, a clear suspect, or even a crime scene, but we have our “Anwar Ibrahim connection.” That is Malaysian politics.
    Read the full article here.

I feel like the flight was a coordinated hijack by the Malaysian government and the US government. My theory goes that the Malaysian government needed to find a way to ruin the opposition leader's (Anwar Ibrahim) reputation with the people by making him seem like a extremist (since the pilot, Zaharie Ahmad Shah, is a supporter of him. Some even say that the pilot went to Anwar Ibrahim's court trial. Which was a day before the indecent happened). In the other hand, the US government needs something to cover up the Ukraine "invasion" so then people and pay less attention to that situation. So in theory, the MH370 flight serves as a smokescreen for weeks or even months on end before people start paying attention to other news. Meaning they could always start a small war against Russia and right after that happens, the plane mysteriously comes back on the runways of Kuala Lumpur or Beijing. And they will try their best to make Russia look like the enemy.

Well there goes my theory
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #822
    January 2012
    381 Posts
    Couldnt they use computer programs to search through ALL the fucking satellite imagery for anything that deviates from water? those "help search for mh370" sites seem pretty useless

23. Post #823
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    32,062 Posts
    Couldnt they use computer programs to search through ALL the fucking satellite imagery for anything that deviates from water? those "help search for mh370" sites seem pretty useless
    what good will this do if the black box has sunk?

24. Post #824
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,340 Posts
    what good will this do if the black box has sunk?
    Searching through satellite imagery has nothing to do with the black box. I think he's wondering why automated computer programs have not been written to analyze satellite imagery instead of people going through each area by hand.

25. Post #825
    Gold Member
    July 2013
    483 Posts

New Satellite image
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Starred Starred x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #826
    April 2011
    814 Posts
    Why don't planes have GPS trackers that cannot be turned off?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

27. Post #827
    Gold Member
    July 2013
    483 Posts
    Why don't planes have GPS trackers that cannot be turned off?
    This gets answered every few pages

28. Post #828
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,340 Posts
    Sometimes I think people refuse to acknowledge the page count and the hyperlinks at the bottom of the thread..

29. Post #829
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    9,932 Posts
    I've read the answer but I'm curious of this:

Since the reason is because of a possible electrical fire or other situation where every non-essential piece of hardware has to be shut down, would be it possible to supplement it with a GPS locator that isn't attached to the plane? Essentially just a (relatively) cheap box that the pilot or an attendant carries on with a high battery life? Or would that potentially interfere with the plane's systems? Would that even be economically feasible if it didn't?

30. Post #830
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,340 Posts
    I've read the answer but I'm curious of this:

Since the reason is because of a possible electrical fire or other situation where every non-essential piece of hardware has to be shut down, would be it possible to supplement it with a GPS locator that isn't attached to the plane? Essentially just a (relatively) cheap box that the pilot or an attendant carries on with a high battery life? Or would that potentially interfere with the plane's systems? Would that even be economically feasible if it didn't?
    If a portable unit like that were implemented, what were to stop the pilot not taking the unit and leaving it in his hotel room/sabotaging the unit prior to takeoff? You need to remember that the members of society who would have the technical know-how and ability to disable these systems are people that are very likely to be employed by the airline itself. An aircraft is entrusted completely to the flight crew on that flight - every single system is completely and absolutely available to them. This cannot be changed. The nature of flight crew means that they must be able to have that level of access. To change this would be to put flight safety at risk.

31. Post #831
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    9,932 Posts
    If a portable unit like that were implemented, what were to stop the pilot not taking the unit and leaving it in his hotel room/sabotaging the unit prior to takeoff? You need to remember that the members of society who would have the technical know-how and ability to disable these systems are people that are very likely to be employed by the airline itself. An aircraft is entrusted completely to the flight crew on that flight - every single system is completely and absolutely available to them. This cannot be changed. The nature of flight crew means that they must be able to have that level of access. To change this would be to put flight safety at risk.
    This is true, and it obviously wouldn't stop a hijack from the captain or anyone with access to the box and the ability to fly, but wouldn't it help in search and rescue situations like this, where the location of the plane is virtually completely unknown? I mean the point of it is to essentially have a backup in case of a catastrophe like the electrical fire; the box wouldn't have to be switched off as it's part of a different system. The box wouldn't have to be on the pilot or attendant's person the whole time, just on the plane somewhere where passengers wouldn't likely happen by it; out of the way in the cockpit or attendant's area, for example.

I admit my aeronautical knowledge consists largely of 'jets go fast,' but I'm really curious if something like that would be feasible as a worthwhile device to help in search and rescues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #832
    September 2013
    658 Posts
    ignore the advice of an expert
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

33. Post #833
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,340 Posts
    This is true, and it obviously wouldn't stop a hijack from the captain or anyone with access to the box and the ability to fly, but wouldn't it help in search and rescue situations like this, where the location of the plane is virtually completely unknown? I mean the point of it is to essentially have a backup in case of a catastrophe like the electrical fire; the box wouldn't have to be switched off as it's part of a different system. The box wouldn't have to be on the pilot or attendant's person the whole time, just on the plane somewhere where passengers wouldn't likely happen by it; out of the way in the cockpit or attendant's area, for example.

I admit my aeronautical knowledge consists largely of 'jets go fast,' but I'm really curious if something like that would be feasible as a worthwhile device to help in search and rescues.
    In theory, what you describe could work. There are several issues involved but it really boils down to "is it practical to have this external from the aircraft systems whilst being a self sufficient unit?".

The FDR (or "black box") is in the tail of the airplane and it weighs a fair bit (about 10kg if I recall). It's weight isn't due to it's technical capability - the weight is comprised mainly of the materials used to ensure it can withstand crashes, underwater exposure, etc etc.. A lot of misconceptions come from it's battery being heavy. It's battery life is for the sonar/"ping" unit which activates when submerged in water. The battery lasts ~30 days and that battery isn't very big. That sonar ping doesn't take a lot of battery power to operate because it's an entirely automatic, non-intelligent function of the FDR.

But the unit your propose would have to have the battery power to constantly communicate GPS satellites. That is a taxing operation which would require a lot of battery power.. You are looking at a 12 hour minimum battery life (the duration of some of the longer commercial flights) but then what would you extend that battery life to? 1 month like the FDR? That is then a very big battery and that would also increase it's weight exponentially compared to the FDR..

So the issues "in a nutshell" - can a unit be constructed a) of an alloy that is portable b) that is self-sufficient (in that it doesn't take power from the aircraft and c) that it can withstand a lot of punishment.

It's a good idea in theory but in practice it would be a technical nightmare.. Aircrew carry a lot of weight onboard with them. Their own personal belongings as well as airway/procedure charts, aircraft manuals, the works.. They would not be able to carry an additional - very heavy - unit with them I feel. The technical requirements of such a unit would make it heavy by nature. Flight crew carrying this unit on would not be a solution. Having it fitted before each flight to the tail with the FDR? Okay - that's a possibility - but it needs to be recharged inbetween flights and then that opens a whole new era of "if's" and "but's"..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #834
    April 2011
    721 Posts
    My dad works for Boeing and he said that it most likely crashed in the water intact hopefully leaving some parts of the plane still together but nothing too large. But he's not very optimistic that things would still be floating by this point. Hope for the best but things aren't getting better

35. Post #835
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    9,932 Posts
    It's a good idea in theory but in practice it would be a technical nightmare.. Aircrew carry a lot of weight onboard with them. Their own personal belongings as well as airway/procedure charts, aircraft manuals, the works.. They would not be able to carry an additional - very heavy - unit with them I feel. The technical requirements of such a unit would make it heavy by nature. Flight crew carrying this unit on would not be a solution. Having it fitted before each flight to the tail with the FDR? Okay - that's a possibility - but it needs to be recharged inbetween flights and then that opens a whole new era of "if's" and "but's"..
    Ah. I was hoping it would be a little more feasible weight wise, I kinda figured that'd be the killer overall. Crash materials plus a sufficient battery pack I knew would be the deciding factor. It's really unfortunate we don't have a cost-effective way to efficiently add something like that though, it would help out tremendously in a lot of situations like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #836
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,690 Posts
    His last thread was hilarious.
    What the hell happened there

37. Post #837
    Gold Member
    July 2013
    483 Posts
    Could they not just add a case or 2 of Fluorescein

They use it to help find downed military pilots, don't they?
    I'm sure that would help in cases like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

38. Post #838
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2010
    9,410 Posts
    Could they not just add a case or 2 of Fluorescein

They use it to help find downed military pilots, don't they?
    I'm sure that would help in cases like this.
    Seeing as how large the search area is I doubt it would help unless they knew within a small area where they were.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

39. Post #839
    January 2012
    381 Posts
    By the way isn't it possible to shut down the flight data and voice recorders manually? So even if the black boxes were found they wouldn't help

40. Post #840
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,340 Posts
    By the way isn't it possible to shut down the flight data and voice recorders manually? So even if the black boxes were found they wouldn't help
    Short of severing the cables that run the length of the aircraft, no there isn't any surefire way.

More info (because I wasn't 100% on this myself): http://aviation.stackexchange.com/qu...-be-turned-off
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)