1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,983 Posts
    Everyone's favorite Marvel whipping boy is back! Trevor Slattery will be returning to our lives after his short but brilliant bit as The Mandarin in Iron Man 3, thanks to the new Marvel movie short"All Hail the King." New details and images reveal the fate of dear old, drunk Trevor, and it's not good.

Pearce continued on (without revealing spoilers) but hinting that there are lots of name drops in the short that will hint at future Marvel universe reveals, and perhaps whether or not we'll be getting another Iron Man movie.
    http://io9.com/first-look-at-the-man...-bu-1497954177

The true face of evil
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Starred Starred x 39Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    5,408 Posts
    I'm hoping they go the route of him finding or discovering the rings or something like that and then actually becoming the mandarin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 39Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Best Woofie On Facepunch!
    July 2007
    9,532 Posts
    According to the article,    Luke Cage makes an appearance   .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Starred Starred x 10 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    9,032 Posts
    I'm hoping they go the route of him finding or discovering the rings or something like that and then actually becoming the mandarin.
    As am I. Guy Pearce did a pretty good job, but I found Ben Kingsley's interpretation of the character to be much more compelling than the switcheroo we got.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 30Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,490 Posts
    I'll be honest I don't know much about The Mandarin of the comics but given that he seems like a super genius I'd kind of like it if it turned out that Trevor Slattery turned out to be in itself a persona that he adopted to manipulate his way into Killian's organisation (to then usurp him and take over) and avoid going to super villain jail if everything went tits up in the mean time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    December 2013
    610 Posts
    According to the article,    Luke Cage makes an appearance   .
    Sweet Christmas!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member

October 2009
    4,460 Posts
    why does he turn into a mandarin??????
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2011
    27,335 Posts
    As am I. Guy Pearce did a pretty good job, but I found Ben Kingsley's interpretation of the character to be much more compelling than the switcheroo we got.
    I liked the idea of taking an originally racist as fuck character like Mandarin and actually justify its really racist design in the story but the way it was handled wasn't really all that good.

Edited:

I still think that Iron Man 3 was a disgrace to the first two. They made a complete mockery of Stark's sense of humor. It seemed like the whole movie was meant for 13 year olds.
    And they never explained his PTSD either.

I assume him going to another dimension and back kind of fucked with his brain which explains the hundreds of armors he's built but the PTSD is fucking retarded eitherway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    I DRAW SEALS
    March 2009
    5,271 Posts

I assume him going to another dimension and back kind of fucked with his brain which explains the hundreds of armors he's built but the PTSD is fucking retarded eitherway.
    I thought he explained in the movie it was the fact that fucking aliens came and blew up most of NY was what caused him to have PTSD. that's why he has an anxiety attack when that kid comes and shows him the pic of him blasting an alien.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

10. Post #10
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    9,232 Posts
    here come the losers who complain about "muh mandarin"
    skip to 30:49 for what you sound like
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 7 (list)

11. Post #11
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    21,399 Posts
    even if i disliked the twist, i still don't think they should go down that road, for the sake of consistency

pierce's character was just weak and generic. he had nothing special, he was just another boring white guy with a generic motive, ben kingsley's performance was worthy of a main villain
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    9,232 Posts
    lol here comes zukriuchen with his pleb opinions

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Zing Zing x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,983 Posts
    What I've been trying to point out in the Review That Movie thread, is that the twist ruined a chemistry surrounding what I think would of been a great villain. A terrorist who idolizes Sun Tzu and sees America as a disgrace to the world, wanting to rid of it's filth (Tony Stark). I just felt Killian was a another i-want-revenge villain who just says 'I YAM THE MANDARIN' at the end, also the extremis is some bullshit human torch whatever. Also the fact the movie was loosely based on Iron Man: Extremis and it's source material wasn't used correctly.

Although I hate Drew Pearce for his awful work on the movie, I begin to think he might actually be forming a great plotline for a character that is if it goes the direction I think he is. A actor who was a drunk junkie, portrayed a national terroist, although it turned out to be fake. The people who saw him, think he is that character and when he begins to think about it. "Maybe there is no such thing as Trevor Slattery, maybe....The Mandarin has returned...". He inspires his followers, they have him break out of prison. Thus the Mandarin returns in IM4. Great storyline I think would work. Drew Pearce would actually make something work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    21,399 Posts
    lol here comes zukriuchen with his pleb opinions
    i am truly sorry, i had not realized it before but now i see the light

clearly, killian was a very original character. motivated by revenge? amazing. businessman that secretly works for a criminal organization and wants to take over the world terror industry? so unique. and best of all, he has literally the same powers as all of his goons? wow, guy pearce's character simply carried that movie, the writing was truly inspiring
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    October 2009
    1,823 Posts
    skip to 30:49 for what you sound like
    oookay? im sorry for offending you without even being in the thread beforehand
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    July 2007
    12,914 Posts
    I liked the idea of taking an originally racist as fuck character like Mandarin and actually justify its really racist design in the story but the way it was handled wasn't really all that good.

Edited:

Are you kidding me?

He rode a nuke into another dimension fully expecting to die, I imagine that could cause some PTSD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,689 Posts
    I still think that Iron Man 3 was a disgrace to the first two. They made a complete mockery of Stark's sense of humor. It seemed like the whole movie was meant for 13 year olds.
    Yeah because if there's one thing comic book movies aren't for, it's definitely 13 year olds.

They are grown up, adult movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    21,399 Posts
    Yeah because if there's one thing comic book movies aren't for, it's definitely 13 year olds.

They are grown up, adult movies.
    you can appeal to more than one audience, you know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    6,349 Posts
    I actually liked the twist. I mean, yeah, it would have been better if the real villain had a better characterization, but I really liked the whole bait and swtich they did with the villains, make one guy seem like he's the ultimate bad guy, with all the qualities you'd expect, then subvert those expectations and say "no, it was that guy hiding in the background this whole time!"

Although I hate Drew Pearce for his awful work on the movie, I begin to think he might actually be forming a great plotline for a character that is if it goes the direction I think he is. A actor who was a drunk junkie, portrayed a national terroist, although it turned out to be fake. The people who saw him, think he is that character and when he begins to think about it. "Maybe there is no such thing as Trevor Slattery, maybe....The Mandarin has returned...". He inspires his followers, they have him break out of prison. Thus the Mandarin returns in IM4. Great storyline I think would work. Drew Pearce would actually make something work
    That just seems like such a shitty cop-out to me. "Oh no, a few vocal fans didn't like our twist, we need to come up with something to please them!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    9,032 Posts
    I've never read a single Iron Man comic, nor did I have any idea who the Mandarin was before I saw the movie. Maybe I am in the minority on this one, but I simply found the 'theatrical' Mandarin to be more interesting.

Some people call me a terrorist. I consider myself a teacher. America...ready for another lesson? In 1864 in Sand Creek, CO, the United States military waited until the friendly Cheyenne Braves had all gone hunting. Waited, to attack and slaughter the families left behind, and claim their land. 39 hours ago, an Ali Al-Salam airbase in Kuwait was attacked. I-I did that. A quaint military church, filled with wives and children of course. The soldiers were out on maneuvers...the Braves were away. President Ellis, you continue to resist my attempts to educated you sir, and now you test me again. You know who I am, you don't know where I am, and you'll never see me coming.
    That introductory speech, delivered in that instructive, almost "Heart of the Midwest" American accent, was INFINITELY more compelling to me than the entirety of the Extremis arc. I don't have to have read the comic to think that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,838 Posts
    I only just watched all 3 Iron Man movies today. They were okay, but I'll admit I'm not a comic book fan.
    I really enjoyed the twist though. I'd heard that a lot of people that had seen Iron Man 3 were complaining about this interpretation of The Mandarin, but I genuinely thought it was extremely well played.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,840 Posts
    See, that's what people don't understand when they bitch about the Mandarin. He was created to basically be a personification of America's fears of wars and such at the time- about Vietnam, about Asia in general, terrorists, etc. The Mandarin was all of that put in to one character.
    The problem is, that would not of worked in Iron Man 3
    No one is afraid of that-the idea of some asian man who is obsessed about strategy and does magic? That's not exactly the prime fear people have. Plus Mandarin's kinda hella racist but that's another thing.So what ARE Americans afraid of? What makes them paranoid?
    US.
    Everyone's over Middle eastern terrorism and are looking at internal conflicts like the The NSA, the President, , our law system, big businesses, etc-legitimate things that are the main focus of American paranoia. The Mandarin is a personification of terrorism and paranoia- and a Rich White Guy who Owns a Big Business and has access to technology waaaaay ahead of what we have might not make a big blockbuster villain, but is a natural evolution of the character.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member

October 2009
    4,460 Posts
    i still don't get why the fuck his name is"the mandarin" who the hell names themselves after a fruit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 9Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,951 Posts
    i still don't get why the fuck his name is"the mandarin" who the hell names themselves after a fruit
    Mandarin is the main language of China

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    18,715 Posts
    Mandarin is the main language of China
    who names themselves after a language??
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,134 Posts
    who names themselves after a language??
    I'd say it refers to this distinction of the word 'Mandarin':
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_%28bureaucrat%29

27. Post #27
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    21,399 Posts
    See, that's what people don't understand when they bitch about the Mandarin. He was created to basically be a personification of America's fears of wars and such at the time- about Vietnam, about Asia in general, terrorists, etc. The Mandarin was all of that put in to one character.
    The problem is, that would not of worked in Iron Man 3
    No one is afraid of that-the idea of some asian man who is obsessed about strategy and does magic? That's not exactly the prime fear people have. Plus Mandarin's kinda hella racist but that's another thing.So what ARE Americans afraid of? What makes them paranoid?
    US.
    Everyone's over Middle eastern terrorism and are looking at internal conflicts like the The NSA, the President, , our law system, big businesses, etc-legitimate things that are the main focus of American paranoia. The Mandarin is a personification of terrorism and paranoia- and a Rich White Guy who Owns a Big Business and has access to technology waaaaay ahead of what we have might not make a big blockbuster villain, but is a natural evolution of the character.
    that's a cool way of looking at it, but imo you're just overthinking it. i sincerely doubt they even thought of that while making the movie

28. Post #28
    I AM COMPLETELY UNABLE TO SHUT THE HELL UP
    October 2012
    4,853 Posts
    honestly would prefer the tangerine but okay whatever im no citrus expert
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    June 2011
    193 Posts
    honestly would prefer the tangerine but okay whatever im no citrus expert
    Shut your mouth The Lime would have fit so much better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    August 2012
    1,506 Posts
    From what i heard, the real mandarin confronts Slattery about making a mockery of the name mandarin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,195 Posts
    my main problem with iron man 3 is that    there aren't any fucking iron men until like the last 15 minutes   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,851 Posts
    my main problem with iron man 3 is that    there aren't any fucking iron men until like the last 15 minutes   
    You didn't enjoy "Tony Stark urban ops" ?