1. Post #1
    werewolf and flames are cool guys
    December 2011
    6,863 Posts

The great bee die-off in the US and Europe has been known about for a while. A shortage of honeybees, it’s feared, threatens various crops that depend on them as pollinators. But now some research has put numbers on just how bad the bee deficit is in Europe. And the numbers are alarming, to say the least.

In the study of 41 countries, published yesterday, researchers found that between 2005 and 2010, demand for so-called “pollinator services” grew nearly five times faster than the supply of bees. In the UK, researchers estimate that there are now only enough beehives to meet a quarter of demand. Through a broad swath of Europe, they can meet only 25% to 50%. Overall, almost half the countries studied had bee deficits. “We face a catastrophe in future years unless we act now,” researcher Simon Potts of the University of Reading in the UK, told The Guardian.
    http://qz.com/165310/something-else-...e-bee-deficit/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Friendly Friendly x 51Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    June 2007
    8,436 Posts
    good thing you can order bees by the pound on the web
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Canada Show Events Funny x 10Dumb x 4Useful x 2Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,934 Posts
    That's fine, we'll import them from China like everything else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 14Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    December 2011
    6,863 Posts
    If the Chinese have to hire people for pollination, you know that it is going the hard way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1Zing Zing x 1Starred Starred x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    Dennab
    January 2009
    24,631 Posts
    More people need to cultivate bees as a hobby or side-business. My grandpa used to do it and after that my dad, too, but stopped when there was nobody to watch over the property all time anymore.

Bees are pretty awesome and you get honey on top of everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

6. Post #6
    December 2011
    6,863 Posts
    More people need to cultivate bees as a hobby or side-business. My grandpa used to do it and after that my dad, too, but stopped when there was nobody to watch over the property all time anymore.

That you could sell it or make honey biscuits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Slovenia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    January 2005
    6,486 Posts
    Looks like we're approaching the Medusa Cascade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    8,446 Posts
    That's fine, we'll import them from China like everything else.
    I say instead of increasing our debt to china, we print some more be... oh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    11,655 Posts
    We should make robot bees. It's the only logical and economically feasible option
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ukraine Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    January 2005
    6,486 Posts
    We should make robot bees. It's the only logical and economically feasible option
    Sounds like the plot of an apocalyptic 80s B-movie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 27Zing Zing x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    As a wise man once said: Never ask Fatfatfatty for computer advice
    Dennab
    March 2009
    9,166 Posts

And shittons of stings, gotta have a pretty high pain tolerance for being a beekeeper, even with the protective gear they can still sting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 9 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2009
    160 Posts
    we should start a sexual informative program for bees called "fuck the queen". Information as always been the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 24 (list)

13. Post #13
    September 2010
    1,794 Posts
    And shittons of stings, gotta have a pretty high pain tolerance for being a beekeeper, even with the protective gear they can still sting.
    You wont get stung unless you intentionally fuck with them, my friends have a couple hives and they just smoke up em, open it up and do their business, they rarely get stung unless they accidentally smash one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    January 2009
    24,631 Posts
    My dad did bee-keeping while being actually somewhat allergic to it. Not call-the-ambulance-I-can't-breathe level but every sting still caused pretty huge swelling, and he still did it.

I got stung by bees quite a few times and thing is that you kinda get used to it. As long as you can get some slack and stop whatever you were doing and ice the spot, it's not all that terrible, and it's apparently healthy for you, supposedly boosting immune system as well as helping against arthritis or whatshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Informative Informative x 2Starred Starred x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    10,827 Posts
    My mum keeps bees, which is great because it means free honey.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 5Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    frozensoda
    Are there any laws or regulations for keeping bees? do they do well in the nroth midwest(illinois)? I am actually very interested in starting some hives.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,486 Posts
    Are there any laws or regulations for keeping bees? do they do well in the nroth midwest(illinois)? I am actually very interested in starting some hives.

Probably not much more than there are for just starting a small farm. Need to be more careful with beehives than with a farm, but it falls under farming so it's not super regulated. My uncle used to have a bunch of hives, they aren't all that hard to care for, since they do most of the work themselves.

18. Post #18
    NYES SSSS SSSS
    June 2007
    3,467 Posts
    bees are literally so cool they just fly around and bump into things and pollinate plants
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Funny Funny x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Dennab
    December 2008
    7,739 Posts
    Well, the EU gives money for agricultural projects. So this all depends on the farmers or each country's government.

20. Post #20
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    19,075 Posts
    I think I remember hearing someone was working on one.

21. Post #21
    August 2009
    160 Posts
    I think I remember hearing someone was working on one.
    Here it is

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 17Starred Starred x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    February 2007
    12,255 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 16Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    I bet it's the goddamn Thieves Guild again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

24. Post #24
    I regularly throw pity parties.
    August 2010
    14,753 Posts
    There's some people who bought some of the land across the road from my house and set up some bee hives. We only really found out that they had done that once a few metric butt-tons of bees suddenly appeared around my yard, clouding up a fountain and ceaselessly molesting every square inch of plant life.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,486 Posts
    There's some people who bought some of the land across the road from my house and set up some bee hives. We only really found out that they had done that once a few metric butt-tons of bees suddenly appeared around my yard, clouding up a fountain and ceaselessly molesting every square inch of plant life.
    That sounds like swarming activity, which is bad news for whoever owns that hive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,639 Posts
    Does that mean stocking up on honey is a wise investment?

27. Post #27
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,598 Posts
    Does that mean stocking up on honey is a wise investment?
    It's liquid gold
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2011
    652 Posts
    Sounds messy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    April 2007
    928 Posts
    Sounds messy.
    Or kinky, depending on what gives you a buzz.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Zing Zing x 7 (list)

30. Post #30
    February 2011
    13,124 Posts
    I'm allergic to bees :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    6,913 Posts
    Why don't governments just open vast bee hives? It seems like something they should be doing something about. I can't imagine it'd be the biggest expense in the budget.

Would love a hive when i have enough land.

32. Post #32
    Dennab
    January 2009
    24,631 Posts
    Why don't governments just open vast bee hives? It seems like something they should be doing something about. I can't imagine it'd be the biggest expense in the budget.

Would love a hive when i have enough land.
    Problem is that bees aren't dying out because people don't care, they keep caring and bees die. Also, usually, if it's due to plague, you usually have to wipe out your entire population of multiple hives to avoid spreading it to other bee-keepers, I think that at least here it's a legal obligation to report plague and kill your entire current stock. Chances are that if we open more bee-hives, the only effect will be faster spread of the problems and more hives dying, mainly if you centralize them into several big hives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    pink titles r for gaylordes
    March 2008
    4,033 Posts
    Usually my bees die off at this time and theres like 50% less of them.

For some reason theres 50% MORE this year.

So yeah next year we will be swimmin' in honey.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Starred Starred x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,919 Posts
    I might hate the little bastards(along with every other insect ever(specifically any insect that flies and can sting)) there incredibly important and without them famine's gonna be big.

35. Post #35
    To bee or not to bee, that is the question.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Maxime Lebled
    December 2010
    11,412 Posts
    What a great time to live in one of the regions where a particular sort of beekeeping is still practicised (I couldn't even find an english word for it, Wiki told me it's Zeidlerei for Germans), where the bees are kept in tree hollows and not in hives, which, having them live in a more natural environment gives the honey quite a unique taste.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    July 2013
    1,614 Posts
    good thing you can order bees by the pound on the web

actually i think those websites are just a front for ordering nuclear weapons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

38. Post #38
    What if we as a nation came to realize that the quest 4 empire eventually destroys all great nations
    November 2006
    16,213 Posts
    this sounds like a stereotypical stoner thought.

"dudddeee.... robot bees"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    November 2010
    446 Posts
    this sounds like a stereotypical stoner thought.

"dudddeee.... robot bees"
    Except in the face of Bee extinction some dudes are straight up making robot bees. It's not that bad of an idea, actually, considering that there probably won't be any large pushes to preserve bee populations in the near future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    528 Posts
    I camped in North Carolina for a few months and I started to take a liking to bees (previously being freaked out by any bugs). My friend told they were nature's janitors and I got curious. Then after eating some peanut butter tortillas I had PB hands and a couple bees flew on my hands and just started to feed off of it. I left my hand still and stared at them, they just kinda went around my fingers eating the PB all chill-like (it tickled a little) and flew away after. I find them quite beautiful actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Hong Kong Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Starred Starred x 1 (list)