1. Post #1
    Dildo Queen 2013
    September 2010
    5,397 Posts
    Hello facepunch!
    I have adopted a ladybug, or rather, a lady bug has adopted me. I will begin with a little backstory

The life of Bert

A warm and sunny June morning, I opened my curtains to find a little ladybug scuttling along my window. I wasn't sure how he got there, but I thought I'd better let him back outside, so I opened the window on which he was perched and tried to shoe him out. He seemed quite adamant on staying put, only opening his wings to fly to the other side of the window. I left it open with the intention that he can find his way back to the great outdoors, and carried on my day. Later that evening, I couldn't find the little ladybug, so I closed the window and soon forgot about the ordeal.
    A week or so later, there he was again. Scuttling along the warm window pane. Again, I tried to get him outside, but to no avail. For months to follow I'd open my curtains and occasionally find him near by, I began to wonder how he was keeping himself alive, to this day I'm still uncertain. But whatever his plan was, it seemed to be working. I let him stay and enjoyed watching him scurry along. I named him Bert.

Midlife crisis

Last friday, I watched as the hem of the curtains brushed across the windowsill. As I opened them, I noticed something, a little stationary creature on the side, but something wasn't right. It happened rather quickly, too quickly in fact. The hem of the opening curtain brushed him onto the floor. Cautious with my footing, I crouched down to find little Bert laying on his side. Although he's only a little ladybug, it tugged heartstring. My miniature roommate had passed away. I carefully picked him up on a piece of paper, my first thought was to finally release him out the window, allowing the breeze to carry him away. But instead I thought I'd bring him downstairs and bury him in a little plant pot so his energy would be transferred directly into the life of a plant.
    I set him down on the table, and his leg twitched. Unsure if this could be some sort of microstimulation effect or maybe just a simple breeze, I looked on curiously. Google informed me that ladybugs hibernate, so maybe this is what he was trying to do. But he was a strange colour, a faded orange rather than a vibrant red. He must be weak, I thought, I never understood how he was feeding himself all these months, maybe that had finally taken it's toll.
    After a bit more googling I found that if a ladybug can't eat aphids, honey is a good alternative. Since I don't have access to supply of aphids, I followed the instructions. I mixed honey with water, and soaked a cotton pad into the solution. I placed it in a milk bottle cap as a food bowl, and put it in the largest tub I could find. I gently lowered the paper that Bert laid upon into the box, and waited.

A New Beginning

Within half an hour, he was crawling slowly, with all his might, toward the honey soaked cotton pad. Bert made it! He stayed there for an hour, for a little while I was concerned I'd used too much honey and that he was stuck to it. I put a few garden things in the tub, some bamboo leaves, twigs and a pinecone to make him feel a bit more at home (although since he's been in my room since June, he's probably more familiar with indoor objects)

Checking on him daily, bringing him new leaves and fresh honey pads, he perked up quickly. Scuttling around the tub and regaining his colour. I built him a new roof to celebrate the success (sorry, I'm no artist but I figured Bert doesn't mind)

Earlier today I checked on him, I couldn't see him so I assumed he was just hiding under a leaf, I decided it was best not to disturb the mock habitat. Later on I'm at the table, pen in hand, writing down some notes for my essay when I see something moving near my hand. Being a flighty person, I accidentally jumped out my seat and squealed at a pitch only audible to my dogs. I looked again, it was Bert. He must have found a gap in the roof of his tub and gone for a wander. I let him stretch his legs, thinking it's only fair since he's been in the tub for a few days. I snapped a few pictures of him roaming around

He helped me with my work

He's got the colour back in his wings now, as opposed to the sickly orange colour he was just under a week ago when he fell down from the windowsill.

My brother came home from work and was about to put his stuff on the table, I quickly warned him of Berts presence and decided it was time to coax him back into the safety of his tub. I tried to get him onto a piece of paper but he was being pretty stubborn, I leant over the table and managed to knock over a packet of biscuits which started him, he took to the air and landed on the wall. He crawled up onto the ceiling until he found the light, which he flew around for a while until settling on the underside of the lampshade where he still sits at this moment

I'm not really sure how to get him down from there but that's the end of my ladybug story for now. According to google they can live up to two years, so providing he stays fit and healthy until spring I will be releasing him into the garden once the weather is warm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Friendly x 138Winner x 8Funny x 7Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1Zing x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,221 Posts
    Google told you everything about caring for ladybugs.

Not sure if that's surprising or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    July 2006
    4,624 Posts
    is he confirmed as blinded? can he make dubstep yet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    What if we as a nation came to realize that the quest 4 empire eventually destroys all great nations
    November 2006
    16,213 Posts
    so providing he stays fit and healthy until spring
    I think this thread calls for a ladybug cardio montage with 80s music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 37Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    July 2006
    4,624 Posts
    Google told you everything about caring for ladybugs.

Not sure if that's surprising or not.
    i think they kill other pests or something, so maintaining their presence makes sense

6. Post #6
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    17,856 Posts
    This reminds me of the spider that crawled under my bed about a week ago, I attempted to throw it outside at first but it slipped away, and hid under my bed. I tried to make contact with it and even left food on the floor because I found myself seeking friendship with him. Unfortunately, I believe my roommate perished :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 19Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dildo Queen 2013
    September 2010
    5,397 Posts
    This reminds me of the spider that crawled under my bed about a week ago, I attempted to throw it outside at first but it slipped away, and hid under my bed. I tried to make contact with it and even left food on the floor because I found myself seeking friendship with him. Unfortunately, I believe my roommate perished :(
    Bert was pretty elusive, I'd go weeks with no sign of him and then suddenly he'd appear. I'm sure your spider buddy is fine, just hiding and engaging in other spidery antics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,608 Posts
    i think they kill other pests or something, so maintaining their presence makes sense
    Ladybugs (real ones, not the invasive Japanese Beetles) feed on Aphids

Side-by-side. They look quite similar but they're different species AFAIK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,970 Posts
    I remember finding a lot of these things back when I was in elementary school. I think it's the only bug I would feel comfortable with landing on my hand, because it means good luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 20Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Dildo Queen 2013
    September 2010
    5,397 Posts
    He's back in the tub now, I let him chill out by the light for a bit but he's safer in there. Used the cup and paper trick. It was difficult to get him off the paper because he's quite the acrobug
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    13,952 Posts
    can I know why you named him Bert

I mean it's a lady bug there's so much exploitation that can happen and you picked Bert

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,503 Posts
    did you count the number of spots on Bert's back?

just asking because you don't want any imposter ladybugs

Edited:

like you may have cared for several lady bugs but they all individually died horribly from spiders sucking their insides out or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    November 2006
    3,152 Posts
    Ladybugs (real ones, not the invasive Japanese Beetles) feed on Aphids

Side-by-side. They look quite similar but they're different species AFAIK.
    Both of those are ladybugs, Japanese ladybugs also eat aphids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dildo Queen 2013
    September 2010
    5,397 Posts
    can I know why you named him Bert

I mean it's a lady bug there's so much exploitation that can happen and you picked Bert
    Bert the ladybug, it's got some close alliteration in there I suppose

15. Post #15
    goatse
    January 2006
    28,020 Posts
    cute
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly x 9Agree x 4Dumb x 2Useful x 1Artistic x 1Disagree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Dildo Queen 2013
    September 2010
    5,397 Posts
    did you count the number of spots on Bert's back?

just asking because you don't want any imposter ladybugs

Edited:

like you may have cared for several lady bugs but they all individually died horribly from spiders sucking their insides out or something
    19, 20 if the one that spreads over the wings counts as 2 :) he has many spots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2011
    339 Posts
    i love ladybugs. They keep my plants safe :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,119 Posts
    I used to catch spiders and keep them as pets.

they all died though :(   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member

June 2008
    2,358 Posts
    Reminds me of the time i tried to take care of some moth eggs i found

they turned out to be cloth moth eggs and infested my house

The lesson to be learned here folks is to never trust insects with care and love
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 31Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    5,608 Posts
    Both of those are ladybugs, Japanese ladybugs also eat aphids.
    Ah, my bad! After some further research I've found they're actually called 'Asian Lady Beetle'.

http://insects.about.com/od/beetles/p/haxyridis.htm posted:
    Both adults and larvae of Asian Multicolored Lady Beetles feed voraciously on aphids, mites, scale, and other soft-bodied insects. They also eat eggs of moths and butterflies.
    http://www.ladybuglady.com/asianladybeetle.htm posted:
    Over the past 15 years, USDA, the Forestry Commission, state and private agencies have released this ladybug in several locations in the Northeastern part of the US. The beneficial aspects of this ladybug have been quite useful in reducing the need for pesticides and have relieved the hardwood forests of many disease carrying aphids, mites and scale insects. Releases are no longer taking place.
    I suppose you learn something new once in a while!

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    4,823 Posts
    :.( Poffer.

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,139 Posts
    beetles pwn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    12,104 Posts
    I once made a deal with a spider above my bunk.
    He ate mosquitoes, so I let him live up there.

My brother hasn't so merciful. I was so mad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

24. Post #24
    October 2009
    1,448 Posts
    Please do not interfere with his political conviction
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 17Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Aj
    September 2012
    567 Posts
    bugs never want to be my mate, i tried to befriend a huntsman and he raised his legs at me so i got mum to kill him.

nice lady bug lady
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,297 Posts
    Reminds me of a small spider that made host in a corner in my downstairs bathroom. Every time I went to the bathroom he'd jump in surprise whenever I turned on the light.

I thought it was really cute, but there's no bug traffic down in the bathroom so he never netted anything. I feared for his food supply.

It sounds strange but a weak, but alive, beetle fell on my desk one day. I picked it up and set it next to the small spider's web. The next day the really tiny spider managed to drag the huge beetle up into his nest like a trophy. He was working on it when I walked in, jumping in surprise like usual.

He fed on it for about a week, but I wasn't able to find anymore food for him so I believe he moved on. His trophy fell back on the floor, and I haven't seen him since...

27. Post #27
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    19,075 Posts
    I used to love catching ladybugs as a kid. I'd go outside and get find a bucket load of them. Can't remember what I ever did with them though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,485 Posts
    Convert it to communism.

(User was banned for this post ("Meme reply" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 73Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    107 Posts
    Holy shit this is cute.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    1,929 Posts
    I think this thread calls for a ladybug cardio montage with 80s music.
    Fashion a barbell out of a Q-tip and some Cheerios for weights. Endurance flights to the ceiling and back.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Winner Winner x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    November 2013
    45 Posts
    this actually shows facepunchers are compassionate beings. not robots made by skynet.

good show!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    November 2008
    502 Posts
    this actually shows facepunchers are compassionate beings. not robots made by skynet.

good show!
    But we are robots created by Skynet, and this is Skynet proving it's not a evil AI intent on killing beings lesser than it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Dildo Queen 2013
    September 2010
    5,397 Posts
    He's escaped the tub again, crawling around on the side of it. I'm gonna put it on my windowsill so he feels at home and leave the roof open so he's able to get food and enjoy the foliage I put in there.

Edited:

He seems to like his portrait

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 23 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member

November 2011
    3,315 Posts
    i found a green june beetle and kept it as a pet when i was 6. it was shiny and neon green colored so i thought it looked really cool. i gave it food and stuff, but unfortunately it didn't live long.

35. Post #35
    June 2013
    449 Posts
    He seems pretty happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    No title or gold masterrace, whoops.
    July 2012
    9,246 Posts
    Goddamn escape artists.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    October 2012
    12 Posts
    I like it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    January 2007
    3,971 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 25Funny Funny x 7Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    March 2012
    1,574 Posts
    I like this. You are a wonderful person. I hope you have a happy life forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Dildo Queen 2013
    September 2010
    5,397 Posts
    I like this. You are a wonderful person. I hope you have a happy life forever.
    Wow, thank you! I am a happy person, to tell you the truth I wasn't for the majority of my life but last summer I discovered what true happiness is and I'm pursuing a path which will nurture that. I can only wish the same (or even, better) for yourself :)

Edited:

Imagine being so tiny that a drop of water fucks up your day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 25Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)