1. Post #1
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts
    I couldn't help but notice that after that new Wild Hunt trailer that there was not a Witcher thread currently active. So rather than revive older threads, I figured we should have a fresh, new thread for the whole series.

What is The Witcher?

The Witcher (Polish: Wiedźmin) by Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski is a series of fantasy short stories (collected in two books, except for two stories) and six novels about the witcher Geralt of Rivia. In Sapkowski's books, witchers are monster-hunters who receive special training and have their bodies modified at an early age to provide them with supernatural abilities so they can cope with dangerous monsters. The books have been adapted into a movie and television series, a video game series, and a graphic novel series.
    There are currently three games in the series

The Witcher (Released in 2007)

The Witcher takes place in a medieval fantasy world and follows the story of Geralt, one of a few remaining "witchers" traveling monster hunter for hire, gifted with unnatural powers. The game's system of "moral choices" as part of the storyline was noted for its time-delayed consequences and lack of black-and-white morality.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2011)

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings contains many different paths and storylines, along with multiple endings. As in the first game, the player takes control of Geralt of Rivia, one of the few remaining witchers. Witchers are humans that have been genetically enhanced and trained to fight monsters from a young age. They have special powers, differing for each witcher. These include alchemy, magic, and sword handling.

And last (but not least according to CDPR, this is just the end of Geralt's story, there will most likely be more Witcher games in the future)

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014)

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt concludes the story of Geralt of Rivia, the series' protagonist, whose story to date has been covered in the previous iterations.

Currently, both Witcher 1 and 2 have "full combat rebalance" mods which do something that I seem to be completely unaware of from watching videos. There's also a texture overhaul mod for Witcher 1 that makes it look loads better. All aboard the hype train because holy shit Wild Hunt is going to be too fantastic to handle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

2. Post #2
    YOU ARE DUMB AND NOBODY LIKES YOU
    January 2010
    8,040 Posts
    could have just bumped an older thread since they have literally the same content

either way TW3 GOTY 2014
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    September 2010
    5,585 Posts
    Something tells me Ciri will definitely make an appearance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

4. Post #4
    Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar!
    April 2006
    17,556 Posts
    i think they're keeping the ciri storyline separate from the game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2010
    8,040 Posts
    i think they're keeping the ciri storyline separate from the game
    they pretty much confirmed ciri is in the game though. the question is if she's a playable character

Edited:

the entire storyline of TW3 revolves around nilfgaard executing any royalty they find, and since ciri is the daughter of whoever that princess was way back when she's pretty much the high value target you're out to protect. once nilfgaard get pushed back north, who's going to collect the throne of the reunited kingdoms?

find yennifer; find ciri

that's just my speculation though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #6

July 2013
    8,537 Posts
    I'm going to have to sit down over Christmas and give these games the time they deserve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #7
    Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar!
    April 2006
    17,556 Posts
    they pretty much confirmed ciri is in the game though. the question is if she's a playable character

Edited:

the entire storyline of TW3 revolves around nilfgaard executing any royalty they find, and since ciri is the daughter of whoever that princess was way back when she's pretty much the high value target you're out to protect. once nilfgaard get pushed back north, who's going to collect the throne of the reunited kingdoms?

find yennifer; find ciri

that's just my speculation though.
    what do you mean they confirmed it?

i could be wrong, but i don't recall ciri ever being mentioned or referenced in 1 and 2

Edited:

ok i see, just re watched "the beginning" video and i can see how ciri is basically confirmed

well that's going to be interesting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    September 2010
    5,585 Posts
    But AFAIR developers told that Ciri should indeed be in the game and so part of the story. Those who read books (by the way HIGHLY recommended) would understand    the involvement between Ciri and Wild Hunt. Wild Hunt is basically elves/other race racing (no pun intended) across dimensions and getting themselves slaves    . Well, at least, that's how I comprehended it.

By the way, those who are interested, here are fan translations of the Witcher saga! There are only those which weren't officially translated yet.

9. Post #9
    May 2013
    304 Posts
    More media of this great game.

2:25 be prepared.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts

trailer music from wild hunt video in op
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    14,135 Posts
    The first game has some of the most amazing lines and themes I have ever encountered.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,184 Posts
    I loved the first game but I hope they've improved on the second game. The combat was awful and I think Geralt's voice actor was hooked on depressant opioids when he did the voice acting. I mean, come on. Yeah, Geralt's supposed to be mega-edgy and brooding, but he sounds less emo, more "I don't want to be here right now"/dead/wooden in TW2.

I am liking the screenshots of TW3 though so far, and their talk of combat revamping makes me happy.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2013
    632 Posts
    Its funny for us in Poland, Witcher series are probably the only games that have better voice actors in polish than english. Thats just my opinion, I cant stand Gerald in english at all.

I love visuals of new trailer. Mountains far away looks like ones I saw on "połonina" (im suprised there is no translation in english for this) in Poland.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    September 2010
    5,585 Posts
    To be honest, Witcher 2 has one of the better Russian VO than usually. For example, listening to Russian VO of Cawadooty or Butterfly games

15. Post #15
    January 2010
    8,040 Posts
    Its funny for us in Poland, Witcher series are probably the only games that have better voice actors in polish than english. Thats just my opinion, I cant stand Gerald in english at all.

I love visuals of new trailer. Mountains far away looks like ones I saw on "połonina" (im suprised there is no translation in english for this) in Poland.
    oh man. yeah, a lot of people give TW2 such a good rap on the voice acting. geralt's actor is really outstanding just because his voice fits the role PERFECTLY but wow. the guy never has to change his pitch or anything. he just sounds so uninvolved

and of course then there's the voice actress for triss... who's ABYSMAL

like play through the prologue again. wow. her voice acting is bad.

Edited:

I still have to figure out where to hang this. it's in the back of my closet still

16. Post #16
    Weakling Member
    August 2013
    2,355 Posts
    I still have collector's edition of the first Witcher, the art books were really worth getting it, not to mention all the extra behind the scenes material, it felt to me that every single major game should do such great editions, RPG games especially.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,184 Posts
    oh man. yeah, a lot of people give TW2 such a good rap on the voice acting. geralt's actor is really outstanding just because his voice fits the role PERFECTLY but wow. the guy never has to change his pitch or anything. he just sounds so uninvolved

and of course then there's the voice actress for triss... who's ABYSMAL

like play through the prologue again. wow. her voice acting is bad.
    Yeah, that's the one thing I don't understand at all about so many TW2 fans. A lot of them say Triss and Geralt are VO'd perfectly.

No. Their voice actors are good, yeah, but the voice acting work itself is fucking awful. Triss sounds fucking annoying, and Geralt has voice acting that has less emotion and personality than Arnold did in The Terminator. And he was a fucking robot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,727 Posts
    Is playing through Witcher 1 worth it? I'm really digging the old school RPG feel but the pacing is abysmal. I was in the swamps, and I was pretty sure I was making good progress before I had to start over due to a HDD crash. I load up the game, but I just can't press "new game."

Witcher 2 is installed and ready to go, but I really feel like I should play them in release order first.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    9,346 Posts
    Is playing through Witcher 1 worth it? I'm really digging the old school RPG feel but the pacing is abysmal. I was in the swamps, and I was pretty sure I was making good progress before I had to start over due to a HDD crash. I load up the game, but I just can't press "new game."

Witcher 2 is installed and ready to go, but I really feel like I should play them in release order first.
    The later half of the game is really good and excuses the first half crawl, imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    11,430 Posts
    I can't fuckin wait for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,727 Posts
    Well since I'm getting back into Witcher 1, any tips that aren't too spoiler-ish to help me trudge through the first half?

22. Post #22
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts
    speedrun it if you can, stick to MQ and poker/fistfight sidequests, tawny owl and swallow are your best friends

unless you're also wanting to get the sex cards

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,727 Posts
    I heard about the sex cards when I read a review of the game waaay back in oh-seven and forgot about it. When I was playing the game, I rescued this elf chick and was rewarded of a trading card of her boobs. It was pretty jarring. Gold would of been better.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,344 Posts
    Even after playing the first game for just about 2 hours, I wish there was some sort of reskin for Triss, because fucks sake. There becomes a point where it's just too much. I can't think of any sort of justification for that sort of revealing armor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,071 Posts
    Finally, after I got Witcher 2 a year ago, between playing it on and off and having to restart twice thanks to getting new/reformatting hard drives, I finally beat it.

One thing I really love was how easy the Letho fight was in the epilogue compared to Chapter 1. Made me feel really powerful considering how much difficulty I had with him in Chapter 1, especially on my first playthrough   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2013
    632 Posts
    Yeah, that's the one thing I don't understand at all about so many TW2 fans. A lot of them say Triss and Geralt are VO'd perfectly.

No. Their voice actors are good, yeah, but the voice acting work itself is fucking awful. Triss sounds fucking annoying, and Geralt has voice acting that has less emotion and personality than Arnold did in The Terminator. And he was a fucking robot.
    I was talking about polish version, he might also, I have no idea. If you're reffering to english actors I can agree. If polish, not really, they were really great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,899 Posts

I wish she won't, because Ciri is the definition of OP.

Edited:

More media of this great game.

2:25 be prepared.
    Anybody knows where I can get that awesome music that's playing in the end of each trailer?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    September 2010
    5,585 Posts
    I wish she won't, because Ciri is the definition of OP.

Edited:

Anybody knows where I can get that awesome music that's playing in the end of each trailer?
    I guess this is the reworked Main OST version. Might be available after release.

Obligatory

29. Post #29
    Here
    Dennab
    March 2013
    12,416 Posts
       One thing I really love was how easy the Letho fight was in the epilogue compared to Chapter 1. Made me feel really powerful considering how much difficulty I had with him in Chapter 1, especially on my first playthrough   
       I haven't really gone through a necessary second playthrough yet but I really didn't see any point in killing Letho.    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,071 Posts
       I haven't really gone through a necessary second playthrough yet but I really didn't see any point in killing Letho.    
       I did make a promise to Roche that I'd kill him   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Here
    Dennab
    March 2013
    12,416 Posts
       I did make a promise to Roche that I'd kill him   
       but he did you a solid by protecting Ves and telling you what you needed to know.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    January 2010
    8,040 Posts

easily going to be the best game 2015
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    February 2010
    289 Posts
    let me preorder soon CD!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    January 2010
    8,040 Posts
    I would have never guessed geralt would side with nilfgaard. THE TWISTS JUST ADD TO THE HYPE

35. Post #35
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    29,905 Posts
    http://buy.thewitcher.com/

Digital edition sounds nice, but that statue says otherwise
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    4,132 Posts
    Holy shit,    Yennefer    and who I think is    Ciri    in the trailer!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    14,135 Posts
    I would have never guessed geralt would side with nilfgaard. THE TWISTS JUST ADD TO THE HYPE
    It's probably just a "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" type of situation. Geralt's always being manipulated by someone

38. Post #38

August 2007
    33 Posts
    It's probably just a "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" type of situation. Geralt's always being manipulated by someone
    You should definitely read the books :D You would now know what's up.

Can't wait for the game, ordered CE edition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

39. Post #39
    February 2010
    289 Posts
    will it be available on steam?

rather have all my games on one platform
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,897 Posts
    What is that Witcher adventure game they mention on gog?

Also, any worthwhile mods for Witcher 1? I've decided I'm going to finally beat it