1. Post #1921
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,057 Posts
    So I was digging a SATA power cable out of a box which had my old G500 in it, just for fun I decided to plug it in and it works again!

Even though it's older and more beat up I'm going to replace my FK1 (I said it was an FK2 above but I was wrong, they're similar anyway) with it until this one actually breaks, if that ever even happens. For the reasons stated on this page a few days ago.

2. Post #1922
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    So I was digging a SATA power cable out of a box which had my old G500 in it, just for fun I decided to plug it in and it works again!

Even though it's older and more beat up I'm going to replace my FK1 (I said it was an FK2 above but I was wrong, they're similar anyway) with it until this one actually breaks, if that ever even happens. For the reasons stated on this page a few days ago.
    I mean, if you want to you can, it has a 9500 in it which means you're going to get high amounts of SRAV (acceleration, both negative and positive) but it's not a big deal so long as you're not gonna be playing vidya at a competitive level.

3. Post #1923
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,955 Posts
    just sand your fk1's shell

its the better option than having clown cursor using a g500

random +/- >10% SRAV is infinitely worse than just using some 400 grit

4. Post #1924
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,057 Posts
    just sand your fk1's shell

its the better option than having clown cursor using a g500

random +/- >10% SRAV is infinitely worse than just using some 400 grit
    i dont know what that is.

I've never had a problem with this. Sure it feels a little different, but mouse's (plural of computer mouse?) always feel a little different.

Edited:

Just read literally the first page of this thread and it was talked about there. So there's mouse accel built into this mouse? Why would they do that?

Maybe I will try that sanding thing. It's not like I can return it after 3 months and heavy usage.

one last edit: the scroll wheel in this mouse is so much better than the fk1. the fk1 you have to use a lot of force to move it, with this you can just casually scroll with just a flick of the wheel.

5. Post #1925
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    i dont know what that is.

I've never had a problem with this. Sure it feels a little different, but mouse's (plural of computer mouse?) always feel a little different.

Edited:

Just read literally the first page of this thread and it was talked about there. So there's mouse accel built into this mouse? Why would they do that?

Maybe I will try that sanding thing. It's not like I can return it after 3 months and heavy usage.

one last edit: the scroll wheel in this mouse is so much better than the fk1. the fk1 you have to use a lot of force to move it, with this you can just casually scroll with just a flick of the wheel.
    The thing is there's not mouse accel built into the mouse, it's built into the sensor of the mouse, this is due to the way that lasers work, they actually penetrate the surface of your mousepad and are much more sensitive to dust, when they go through the surface of your pad, it stops at varying places due to many reasons, what this means is the sensor actually thinks it's different amounts of distance from the mousepad, the measurement of CPI changes based on how far or close the mouse is in actual distance to the mousepad, so if you theoretically had a mouse with an infinite distance to track, you could stack it up super high and it would move much, much slower than if you had it planted on the pad.

The closer the mouse is to the surface, the less it has to compare from frame to frame, this can be seen in the Ninox Aurora where it malfunctions often out of the factory due to being too close to the pad, these tracking issues are relieved by actually raising the distance the Ninox Aurora is from the pad. The 3305DK also has a lens called the "H" lens with 0.5x magnification, this means that it can see more around the pad than the normal lens, this raises the malfunction speed because it has more to compare from the last two frames, but the downside to this is that it halves the CPI, so 1600 is 800, 800 is 400, 400 is 200 and what not. As for the mouse wheel, optical wheels like the one in the G500 and Zowie mice are objectively much worse than mechanical encoders, they will register a scroll before you actually receive the tactile feedback due to how they work, mechanical wheels like TTC encoders and ALPS encoders feel much better, and they won't scroll until you get the tactile feedback, a lot of the time these are implemented poorly though which results in wheel rattle. The Kinzu and G403 are notable examples of poorly implemented mechanical wheels resulting in rattle.

6. Post #1926
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,955 Posts
    zowie use the worst scroll encoders they can get their hands on just to spite people

i am sure of this

if your fk1 wheel is really hard to scroll then disassemble it and check that its still in the encoder notches properly, i've had mine fall out before

7. Post #1927
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    Just took the plunge on a NIB Zowie EC2 (3060 version) on eBay for $45. Losing literally nothing, it's cheap, I've been watching the listing for a while.

8. Post #1928
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,955 Posts
    But why when you're just gonna be unable to use it because of the click delay?

9. Post #1929
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    22,722 Posts
    "Mouse Megathread v3 - Reyjr43 vs. Chubbs, also your mouse is shit"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #1930
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    But why when you're just gonna be unable to use it because of the click delay?
    We talked about this in Steam chat you nerd, I don't own any other 3060 mice besides the DA 3g variant. I need a mouse that holds most big sensors so I can compare them.

11. Post #1931
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,007 Posts
    We talked about this in Steam chat you nerd, I don't own any other 3060 mice besides the DA 3g variant. I need a mouse that holds most big sensors so I can compare them.
    Probably cause you cant fit em in your tiny mitts amiright?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #1932
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    Probably cause you cant fit em in your tiny mitts amiright?
    Correct, I need the most largely produced/used sensors in a small form factor, cause I have my babby hands.

13. Post #1933
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    27,843 Posts
    I'm asking this for the sake of conversation and curiosity, not as a serious request or anything:

What would be the best new mouse you could buy for $25 right now, in terms of sensor? Ignore ergonomics and shit, what's the best performing mouse out there?

14. Post #1934
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    I'm asking this for the sake of conversation and curiosity, not as a serious request or anything:

What would be the best new mouse you could buy for $25 right now, in terms of sensor? Ignore ergonomics and shit, what's the best performing mouse out there?
    If you're getting it brand new for $25 and you're getting it from a retailer (aka not off eBay for el cheapo/discount prices) and it's not a holiday or like black friday or something, I'd say it's probably the G302/X5 Optical/Rival 100 since it falls perfectly in your price range.

The G100s and the G302 have the same sensor (AM010, A3050 variant, later became the PMW3320 iirc), so it malfunctions at around 2.5m/s and doesn't have the accelerometer that the G402 has, but the G302 (and G402) has a DSP scaler which allows for 80 CPI increments being native rather than 250 increments, it has a switch tensioning system, switches that last longer than the G100s, and what have you. The G302 has an issue where it's known for rocking left/right when pressing down on the sides though. Shape succ too. No smoothing beneath 2000 CPI though.

The EVGA X5 Optical can be found for about the same price, native 50 increments that I think you can control in the software, easily achieves 4m/s+, safer shape but it has a weird butt and I've never owned one, so I can't really comment on it. I've heard the scroll wheel has QC issues where the rubber on it comes apart and becomes a mess, but god damn the 3988 it has is good. Smoothing is listed in OP. No notable issues with 3988.

The Rival 100 has the "S3059" (A3050 variant) which can do a higher speed than the AM010 in the G302, it can do 4m/s+, but it's made by StoolSeries so be ready for QC issues and other problems, I hear the front side button has a weird QC issue where it's tiny and light, so it's very easy to wedge between the slot that the side button sits in, causing it to get "trapped" but of course, it can be freed from its hell in the side of the mouse, should be as easy as just pressing on it again to unstick it. I don't think this mouse has any smoothing, but after 1000 CPI it jitters.

15. Post #1935
    April 2011
    513 Posts
    Replacing my Deathadder Chroma, and want a nice mouse for a right-handed person who uses the thumb buttons often. Ambidextrous is fine as long as it doesn't mean there's thumb buttons present on both sides. Was looking at the Rival 300 or possibly a Zowie mouse. Any suggestions?

16. Post #1936
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    Replacing my Deathadder Chroma, and want a nice mouse for a right-handed person who uses the thumb buttons often. Ambidextrous is fine as long as it doesn't mean there's thumb buttons present on both sides. Was looking at the Rival 300 or possibly a Zowie mouse. Any suggestions?
    If your hands are medium sized (18-20cm) then I can suggest a G403, if it's larger than 20cm then an EC1-A.

Rival 300 is actually not all that comfortable for small-medium hands because the buttons slope down so much, and it's not that comfortable for large hands because the grip width is so small.

17. Post #1937
    Ask me about my Zimmerman fetish

March 2005
    4,145 Posts
    My Kinzu V1 is cursor skipping and not being responsive, I didn't make any updates. Is it just broken or is there something I can do to fix it?

18. Post #1938
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,955 Posts
    My Kinzu V1 is cursor skipping and not being responsive, I didn't make any updates. Is it just broken or is there something I can do to fix it?
    probably some shit stuck on your lens, reyjr complains about that a lot

what driver version are you using?

Edited:

Assuming you want it brand new in box from a retailer then its the Ninox Aurora in terms of pure sensor performance (seriously it's probably the best implemented 3090 mouse). Sadly the software will brick it if you click the reset profile button, and it has 50ms of debounce delay that applies to all switches at once. It also has a really high malfunction speed (4m/s+) as long as your skates are thick enough (too thin causes some tracking issues on some pads).

If you want "new" and don't mind there not being a box or from an official retailer then a Takasta WMO is a good bet. They're the exact same as normal WMOs but in fancy shells.

Other than that check the Low price and rather safe shape, high bang for buck but out of production/hard to acquire? and Low price and rather safe shape, high bang for buck but known for lowered build quality/QC issues? section in the OP.

19. Post #1939

March 2005
    4,145 Posts
    probably some shit stuck on your lens, reyjr complains about that a lot

what driver version are you using?
    1.07, I cleaned the lens, might be something else. It works fine when in constant motion and moderate/fast speeds, it turns unresponsive at slow speeds and micro-movements/stops.

20. Post #1940
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,955 Posts
    Get a Deathadder 3G V2 off eBay. There's a guide in the OP as to how to identify a 3G V2/V3. It tracks better, has lower LOD, has 3ms click delay if you flash it with 1.28NC and is in general the best mouse ever made. It also doesn't need Razers malware installed to function (you do need to install the legacy drivers to flash the firmware but you can uninstall them after).

Edited:

1.07, I cleaned the lens, might be something else. It works fine when in constant motion and moderate/fast speeds, it turns unresponsive at slow speeds and micro-movements/stops.
    That's normal as far as I'm aware. Busted tracking code and all that. Try restarting your PC, that's been known to fix Kinzu v1's before.

21. Post #1941
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    I just got back to my PC because I was sleeping, I would say that you should try unplugging and replugging if you haven't already, this tends to fix a lot of weird issues with the Kinzu.
    Does the red LED underneath the mouse turn off when you're making slow movements?
    Does Windows make the hardware unplug and replug sound?

If all of these fell under no, then it's possible the LED is dying and not illuminating the sensor enough so you're getting dropouts. How long have you had it?

22. Post #1942
    September 2013
    17,510 Posts
    That's why you play on a flat lightbulb. No more LED problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #1943
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    That's why you play on a flat lightbulb. No more LED problems.
    Just make a thick hardpad with a plastic top and bottom, have the bottom mounted with red LEDs and then plug that bitch into the wall.

24. Post #1944
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,955 Posts
    im willing to try that

i know it wont work but i'll try to make one anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #1945

March 2005
    4,145 Posts
    I just got back to my PC because I was sleeping, I would say that you should try unplugging and replugging if you haven't already, this tends to fix a lot of weird issues with the Kinzu.
    Does the red LED underneath the mouse turn off when you're making slow movements?
    Does Windows make the hardware unplug and replug sound?

If all of these fell under no, then it's possible the LED is dying and not illuminating the sensor enough so you're getting dropouts. How long have you had it?
    No and yes. I guess it might just be its time, I had this mouse when it first came out.

26. Post #1946
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    No and yes. I guess it might just be its time, I had this mouse when it first came out.
    If it makes the hardware disconnect/reconnect sound when you're moving it around, that's the culprit. The mouse never had a stress reliever installed for the cable since they weren't used at that time, what occurs is the cable actually becomes very brittle where it bends when you move the mouse around a lot and it causes the cable to effectively disintegrate inside of the mouse near the bend, you can trash a pair of skates, open it up, replace the cable, and it should work like new again. You can even replace the red LED on the inside if you can solder, and it should go for another couple years.

27. Post #1947
    KING
    of OVER – REACTING
    “No jokes allowed!!!”
    May 2009
    22,691 Posts
    My latest mouse crapped out. Mouse wheel clicker broke, which is pretty important to me because a lot of modding tools and games use mouse wheel click, so I'm looking for a new mouse

I read the OP. Zowie EC series is probably the only thing that interests me but there's only one brand on Amazon Canada that's for sale and it's this. I don't know if it has support for Windows 10, it's $55 used $180 new, so I'm asking for alternatives.

I'm looking for an optical gaming mouse. Reliable/Long lasting. Budget $100USD. Fingertip-claw hybrid grip. Support for Windows 10. 1-2 thumb buttons but if there are more that's fine, as long as it's not stupidly obnoxious like a Razer Naga.

Thanks.

28. Post #1948

March 2005
    4,145 Posts
    If it makes the hardware disconnect/reconnect sound when you're moving it around, that's the culprit. The mouse never had a stress reliever installed for the cable since they weren't used at that time, what occurs is the cable actually becomes very brittle where it bends when you move the mouse around a lot and it causes the cable to effectively disintegrate inside of the mouse near the bend, you can trash a pair of skates, open it up, replace the cable, and it should work like new again. You can even replace the red LED on the inside if you can solder, and it should go for another couple years.

its not, I think it just might be done for. I have a g100s with a 3366, I might try modding in that sensor into the Kinzu. I actually prefer the regular g100s over it, the balance is just better.

29. Post #1949
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    its not, I think it just might be done for. I have a g100s with a 3366, I might try modding in that sensor into the Kinzu. I actually prefer the regular g100s over it, the balance is just better.
    Oh I think I saw you posting on OCN about that before, as for the 3366 into Kinzu, I have someone doing that for me...from OCN.

My latest mouse crapped out. Mouse wheel clicker broke, which is pretty important to me because a lot of modding tools and games use mouse wheel click, so I'm looking for a new mouse

I read the OP. Zowie EC series is probably the only thing that interests me but there's only one brand on Amazon Canada that's for sale and it's this. I don't know if it has support for Windows 10, it's $55 used $180 new, so I'm asking for alternatives.

I'm looking for an optical gaming mouse. Reliable/Long lasting. Budget $100USD. Fingertip-claw hybrid grip. Support for Windows 10. 1-2 thumb buttons but if there are more that's fine, as long as it's not stupidly obnoxious like a Razer Naga.

Thanks.
    It works on Win10 but don't pay $180 for it new, I'm sure that you can get it shipped to you from the BenQ site.

http://zowie.benq.com/

30. Post #1950
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    8,869 Posts
    My Deathadder's scroll wheel just started rubbing/screeching during use, and feels like it could snap soon. I have a X80 WMO ready to take over if that does happen, but the lack of thumb buttons is a serious first world problem.

31. Post #1951
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    We had 2 Kinzu v1s break in 1 page.

I was trying to get the DA 3.5g to malfunction, it requires very high speeds of over 4m/s, and I accidentally bumped my Kinzu which was on my desk, queue it falling over and me going "Ah fuck. I doubt that broke it." before I went on messing with my DA 3.5g, well I tried to plug it in later...and...nothing. I tried again. Nothing. Tried again. Nothing. Rebooted 2-3 times. Nothing.

I just broke open another Kinzu SA because I have a ton of NIB ones.

32. Post #1952
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,955 Posts
    My Deathadder's scroll wheel just started rubbing/screeching during use, and feels like it could snap soon. I have a X80 WMO ready to take over if that does happen, but the lack of thumb buttons is a serious first world problem.
    welcome to deathadder scrollwheel malfunction club

33. Post #1953
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    Population: 3

34. Post #1954
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,955 Posts
    I'm legit considering swapping out my FK1's scroll for one from an Aurora or WMO.

I don't have any spare skates though so it'll be a complete arse getting my current ones off and on again without ruining them any more than they already are.

35. Post #1955
    September 2013
    17,510 Posts
    Yeah my scroll click shat itself completely on mine.

36. Post #1956
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    Fuck man, there's so many sellers on Taobao selling so many Kinzus and none of them are sure about the product they're selling, I've had to ask this import company to ask like 5 different sellers about their mice, then the one guy I find that has Black v1s runs out of stock, so I have to find ANOTHER guy who sells a ton of Kinzus and ask if they have any in stock, since sellers apparently don't do a good job of keeping track of what is and is not in stock.

37. Post #1957
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,955 Posts
    the wonders to taobao

38. Post #1958
    April 2011
    513 Posts
    After some thinking, and measuring my hands (like 18.5cm), I think I'm going to go for either a g400,402 or 403. Can anyone give me advice on which one to pick, coming from a Deathadder?

39. Post #1959
    September 2013
    17,510 Posts
    Hyperglides good for replacing the feet on my FK1?

40. Post #1960
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    November 2010
    1,773 Posts
    After some thinking, and measuring my hands (like 18.5cm), I think I'm going to go for either a g400,402 or 403. Can anyone give me advice on which one to pick, coming from a Deathadder?
    G403, most similar and should feel comfortable enough, G402 has some weird ass curves, and G400 isn't really worth buying anymore unless you can find it for dirt cheap. I got mine for $20

Hyperglides good for replacing the feet on my FK1?
    Hyperglides are good for any mouse that doesn't have a sensor foot, since they don't ever make the sensor foot glide.

Also, entirely irrelevant to the conversation but

Fuck this mouse is bad. God awful click delay, seems to either be locked at 10ms or 12ms, the wheel rattles like crazy, coating is trash, mouse rocks left/right depending on how I'm pushing, insane post travel on the LMB/RMB.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)