270 = 7850
    270X = 7870
    280 = 7950
    280X = 7970
    290 = Nvidia's 780
    290X = Nvidia's Titan
    from tom's hardware

Say Goodbye To The Old Names And Hello To The Old GPUs

At its press day in Hawaii, two weeks ago, AMD publically announced the Radeon R7 250, R7 260X, R9 270X, R9 280X, R9 290, and R9 290X. Thereís also an R7 240 the company didnít mention. How on earth will you ever memorize all of the corresponding specifications of each card in a timely manner? Itís easy: although weíre looking at new model names, all of the products AMD is talking about today employ GPUs already found in the Radeon HD 7000-series line-up.
    so essentially AMD is launching their version of rebranded/slighly optimized GPUs, and they don't look particulary impressive, at least it seems amd versions are slightly better at higher end(slightly worse at lower end, which is odd, since it tends to be opposite).

also prices by AMD:

R7250 = <$89
    R7260X = $139
    R9270X = $199
    R9 280X = $299
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Starred x 32Funny x 7Friendly x 2Disagree x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I bought this title because I couldn't afford Gold Membership yet. meow :3
    August 2013
    1,755 Posts
    If this is really all they're throwing out there, I'm honestly pretty disappointed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 12 (list)

3. Post #3
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    14,063 Posts
    Why they plan on keeping these through q3 2014 is pretty baffling.

I guess they think the essentially half price rollover will stem off nVidia's next gen sufficiently to keep competitive. It's not like they have to bust ass that hard, what with having the consoles wrapped up with "native" mantle support right out of the gate.

Still if nVidia shows a much stronger gen even at double the price point comparatively, AMD is gonna get their ass whooped in the high end market.

4. Post #4
    November 2007
    440 Posts
    Bunch of rebrands and two titan/780 cards I can't afford, kinda hoped for more..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,514 Posts

I guess they think the essentially half price rollover will stem off nVidia's next gen sufficiently to keep competitive. It's not like they have to bust ass that hard, what with having the consoles wrapped up with "native" mantle support right out of the gate.

Still if nVidia shows a much stronger gen even at double the price point comparatively, AMD is gonna get their ass whooped in the high end market.
    Dunno, if the R290X is better or equal to the 780 for much cheaper, I could see getting 2-3 of those being significantly better.

6. Post #6
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    14,063 Posts
    Well so far initial reviews seem to paint it as behind the 780 in almost every app except AMD centric ones like Tomb Raider so, for single use it doesn't seem like a clear win-win, though for people upgrading with college/tax return money certainly could buy two for much better bang, with the caveat that AMD dual setups are a lot more conditional than nVidia ones, especially in regard to micro stutter.

But you're right, being able to get two cards for the same price point as a single that's only 15-20% faster than one is pretty much a no-brainer for people on a budget or with a spare slot and a little free cash. I'm sure in the mid-range and lower end market they're going to clean house pretty unilaterally.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    2,506 Posts

i don't really expect the next series to be so overtly better like some think it will be, at least not if they're launching in Q1 2014, from what i understood titan was the best of the best nvidia could put out, for AMD it seems R290X seems to be its equivalent(or even a bit better), there isn't much of an incentive for that, especially since the new consoles will be much easier to port to PC.

i could be wrong through.

i for one welcome graphic cards with only slight increases , since they're horribly expensive in brazil due to insane taxes.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,105 Posts
    Gee, I hope the R9 290 isn't too expensive.

I have a GTX 760 now and need a card with a bit more oomph for 1440p gaming, but I'm not sure whether to SLI my GTX760 or wait and get one of the newer generation cards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    2,506 Posts

I have a GTX 760 now and need a card with a bit more oomph for 1440p gaming, but I'm not sure whether to SLI my GTX760 or wait and get one of the newer generation cards.
    i still have a HD 5770 , i would be happy to have a 760, personally i wouldn't see the point in getting a newer one if i were in your position, better wait for next-next gen, or at least OC/special editions of next-gen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    566 Posts
    I sure want to see some 290X benchmarks.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,947 Posts
    Well so far initial reviews seem to paint it as behind the 780 in almost every app except AMD centric ones like Tomb Raider so, for single use it doesn't seem like a clear win-win, though for people upgrading with college/tax return money certainly could buy two for much better bang, with the caveat that AMD dual setups are a lot more conditional than nVidia ones, especially in regard to micro stutter.

But you're right, being able to get two cards for the same price point as a single that's only 15-20% faster is pretty much a no-brainer for people on a budget or with a spare slot and a little free cash. I'm sure in the mid-range and lower end market they're going to clean house pretty unilaterally.
    The R9-280X is basically a 7970 architectually, but at $299 which is a lot cheaper than Nvidia's current offerings. It's extremely competitive.

I'm a bit disappointed that we haven't seen more of the new architecture (the R9-260 is based on the new architecture), but the price drop is significant.

Edited:

Bunch of rebrands and two titan/780 cards I can't afford, kinda hoped for more..
    The R9-260X is based on the new architecture.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,540 Posts
    This is one sexy looking card

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 25Disagree Disagree x 2Starred Starred x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,638 Posts
    Eh i don't like how halfway it becomes paperthin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    9,608 Posts

That box looks like a horrendous photoshop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Bold Member

October 2006
    3,814 Posts

Is the GPU white or does it have a super small board? This picture is confusing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,540 Posts
    Is the GPU white or does it have a super small board? This picture is confusing.
    I think it's just the angle, looks normal from the bottom

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    in vino veritas

May 2013
    1,378 Posts
    All of them are re-brands, and a little bit downgraded, 280X is essentially 7970 ghz that's underclocked by like 20 hz or something, lol
    290X price should be good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,947 Posts
    All of them are re-brands, and a little bit downgraded, 280X is essentially 7970 ghz that's underclocked by like 20 hz or something, lol
    290X price should be good.
    The R9-270X is based on the 7870, and it performs more like the 7950. It's basically the 7870XT if I'm not totally wrong. The R9-280X is a basically a rebranded 7970, but that doesn't change the fact that it's only $299, which is an extremely attractive price point. The R9-260X is not a rebrand, though, so you're not correct in saying that.

19. Post #19
    GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
    September 2005
    1,544 Posts
    I'm okay with that. My 7950 runs great and it would be a shame to upgrade again. Rather saving up for a new CPU + Mobo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    i wanna fuck joe
    December 2006
    1,445 Posts
    I'm okay with that. My 7950 runs great and it would be a shame to upgrade again. Rather saving up for a new CPU + Mobo.
    You still have a great card, it will last you through 2014 very very easily. But yeah CPU and MB is the best investment for 2013-2014

21. Post #21
    NETID#203731
    March 2009
    13,614 Posts
    I have a 6970 and have little to no issues with most games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    in vino veritas

May 2013
    1,378 Posts
    The R9-270X is based on the 7870, and it performs more like the 7950. It's basically the 7870XT if I'm not totally wrong. The R9-280X is a basically a rebranded 7970, but that doesn't change the fact that it's only $299, which is an extremely attractive price point. The R9-260X is not a rebrand, though, so you're not correct in saying that.
    You sure about 260X not being a rebrand?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Still playing catchup I see, AMD.

They do seem like good value though. I hope Mantle does well for them. I hope nvidia picked up Mantle as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    6,632 Posts
    Interesting but now I want to see what Nvidia is going to do in 2014

25. Post #25
    I bought this title because I couldn't afford Gold Membership yet. meow :3
    August 2013
    1,755 Posts
    Interesting but now I want to see what Nvidia is going to do in 2014
    nVidia Jupiter.

26. Post #26
    LOL
    August 2009
    2,033 Posts

760GTX in SLI will be more powerful than any video card on the market. So I'd go that route. Would be a lot cheaper too.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    10,267 Posts
    760GTX in SLI will be more powerful than any video card on the market. So I'd go that route. Would be a lot cheaper too.
    Most games don't utilize SLI properly though so you're better off with a single, more powerful card 99% of the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    October 2013
    53 Posts
    are any of these better than an hd 5770 because if so then i need 50.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    25,768 Posts
    Equivalent of a 7750 for less than $90?

Actually, for the price, all these cards seem amazing

I've got a HD7850. I got MoH and Farcry 3 for 'free' with it, and both were $60 at the time, essentially the card was $50. It was $170 total. I'm happy with it. AMD make decent cards and for cheaper than nVidia's equivalent

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,933 Posts
    nVidia Jupiter.
    And it'll cost Jupiter's volume in gold, probably.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    4,122 Posts
    I still have an nVidia GTX260 216

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,947 Posts
    Still playing catchup I see, AMD.

They do seem like good value though. I hope Mantle does well for them. I hope nvidia picked up Mantle as well.
    Ehh, catch-up? Sure, they haven't released a GTX 780/Titan competitor yet, but they're placing a GTX 770 equivalent at 3/4's of the price.

The R9-290 is looking at 4.9TFLOPS and, with the 7970 sitting at 3.8TFLOPs - that's quite the improvement, even though it certainly doesn't translate directly into a better gameplay experience. It has a 512-bit memory bus with 320GB/s of bandwidth. And the R9-290X is gonna be slightly better.

Sure, AMD wasn't first - but that doesn't matter if they can do it at a lower price point.

33. Post #33
    Missy Q
    June 2005
    12,714 Posts
    Good price:performance has always been AMD's gig. You don't go to AMD to get powerhouse components - this has always been the case. You go to AMD to save a lot of money and still get something that will get the job done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,947 Posts
    Good price:performance has always been AMD's gig. You don't go to AMD to get powerhouse components - this has always been the case. You go to AMD to save a lot of money and still get something that will get the job done.
    I don't know why this point gets regurgitated in every AMD thread - sure, it may apply to AMD's CPUs (and many of those aren't even good value), but the GPU business if something else entirely. You buy whatever is the best price:performance, whether it's Nvidia or AMD. I remember two winner cards that everyone seemed to buy for some time; the 5770 and the GTX 460. Everyone bought them simply because they were great value.

If you just need a powerhouse, AMD and Nvidia has switched places a couple of times within the last few generations (at least if you count dual-GPU single cards), and in the end it doesn't really matter who's got the Titan or the 5970, because neither is really in the realm of standard consumer cards. Either company could probably smash the other with a single-GPU monster, but there's no real market for such a thing - and the rest of the spectrum is measured by price:performance.

35. Post #35
    Ehh, catch-up? Sure, they haven't released a GTX 780/Titan competitor yet, but they're placing a GTX 770 equivalent at 3/4's of the price.

The R9-290 is looking at 4.9TFLOPS and, with the 7970 sitting at 3.8TFLOPs - that's quite the improvement, even though it certainly doesn't translate directly into a better gameplay experience. It has a 512-bit memory bus with 320GB/s of bandwidth. And the R9-290X is gonna be slightly better.

Sure, AMD wasn't first - but that doesn't matter if they can do it at a lower price point.
    AMD always is trying to match Nvidia. They do it at a better pricepoint yea. I just mean I'd like to see AMD for once put out a card faster than something Nvidia has, merely for the hype of it.

36. Post #36
    "CERTIFIED" SYSTEMS BUILDER
    June 2007
    2,593 Posts
    AMD always is trying to match Nvidia. They do it at a better pricepoint yea. I just mean I'd like to see AMD for once put out a card faster than something Nvidia has, merely for the hype of it.
    I haven't been following GPUs much lately, but I heard from a friend that a 290x beats a titan more often than not, for $300 less?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    15,485 Posts
    ...it was just announced, and afaik, no one has done any bench marking on it yet. Your friend is making shit up.

Edited:

Found one benchmark, that was apparently taken down. I'd wait for more than that before deciding which is better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,947 Posts
    The R9-290X is supposed to be a good deal faster than the Titan, actually. Let's see what happens.

39. Post #39
    27X
    Rantasaurus Rex
    July 2010
    14,063 Posts
    It damn well better be; if a sammich card can't beat a single, you've definitely got some issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    LOL
    August 2009
    2,033 Posts
    Most games don't utilize SLI properly though so you're better off with a single, more powerful card 99% of the time.
    Can you name any examples of games that require a card more powerful than the 760GTX to run at maximum graphics that doesn't utilize SLI properly? Genuinely interested