I still think it might be a good idea to move the discussion of the Degreaser-Axtinguisher combo to a separate thread. Partly because this discussion may have a marginally higher chance of actually getting somewhere when it doesn't jump between the Stuff That Annoys You and the Weapon Fixing thread every few days and starts over from square one each time. Partly because those two threads will be more enjoyable when they aren't regularly drowned in this discussion.
Let's see if it works, shall we?
There was supposed to be a poll attached to the thread but apparently there's a 100 char limit to poll options and also a 10-minute limit for finishing the poll after posting a thread, and by the time I had shortened all options the time limit was over so we'll have to do this with ratings:
What, if anything, is wrong with the Degreaser and Axtinguisher?
- The Degreaser is overpowered. (Nerf the Degreaser)
- The Degreaser is not overpowered, but badly skill indexed, unfun or otherwise broken. (Tweak the Degreaser)
- The Axtinguisher is overpowered. The Degreaser is fine in conjunction with other weapons. (Nerf the Axtinguisher)
- The Axtinguisher is not overpowered, but badly skill indexed, unfun or otherwise broken. (Tweak the Axtinguisher)
- The Degreaser-Axtinguisher combo is overpowered. Both weapons are fine when used with other weapons. (Nerf the Degreaser and/or Axtinguisher in a way that targets their synergy)
- The Degreaser-Axtinguisher combo is is not overpowered, but badly skill indexed, unfun or otherwise broken. Both weapons are fine when used with other weapons. (Tweak the Degreaser and/or Axtinguisher in a way that targets their synergy)
- The Degreaser and Axtinguisher are both overpowered. (Nerf both weapons)
- The Degreaser and Axtinguisher are both badly skill indexed, unfun or otherwise broken, but not overpowered. (Tweak both weapons)
- The Degreaser and Axtinguisher are both fine, the Pyro's other weapons are underpowered. (Buff other Pyro weapons)
- The Degreaser and Axtinguisher are both fine, and so are the Pyro's other weapons. (Frolic gaily through meadows of dew-speckled clover)
- The Pyro class is inherently broken, and puff-n-sting is a result rather than the cause of the problems. (Larger-scale overhaul)
The poll will, hopefully, give an approximate idea of what kind of fix most people think is needed, so we can then focus on figuring out how that fix should be designed. And even if the discussion doesn't get anywhere, the poll results might be useful if whichever Valve employee implemented the Loose Cannon decides to check back in on Facepunch again.
Below is a collection of noteworthy posts, which I'll try to keep updated. If you think a specific post should be added or removed, please say so.
(Link to post)wari65 posted:
(Link to post)RandomGamer34 posted:
So... Let the debate commence, I suppose.