1. Post #1
    February 2013
    340 Posts
    http://rt.com/business/wal-mart-hong...ampaign=chrome

The world’s largest retailer Walmart is considering making a bid for the Hong Kong supermarket business of Asia's richest man Li Ka-shing. Walmart may use Hong Kong’s second biggest ParknShop chain as a platform to expand in the country.

Walmart is working with a bank weighing its options for a $4bn takeover of ParknShop ahead of the bid deadline on August 16, Reuters quotes sources. Private equity firms such as KKR, TPG Capital, and Blackstone are also invited to bid. Japan's Aeon, China Resources Enterprise Ltd, Sun Art Retail, and Australian retailers Wesfarmers and Woolworths Ltd are also among possible bidders, Reuters previously reported.

Should keep stock transport costs down right?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,789 Posts
    I wonder what's the chinese name and pronoucation of Wal Mart if it was translate to Chinese?

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,383 Posts
    I wonder what's the chinese name and pronoucation of Wal Mart if it was translate to Chinese?
    It's a cognate

Those first three characters on the sign say 'Wo-Er-Ma'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Starred Starred x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,661 Posts
    Wal-Marto
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,781 Posts
    Within 25 years there won't be a single country left in the world where you can't find a fucking walmart...

Edited:

Well, since the name is a shortened form of Walton's Market I'd assume it wouldn't change much. They might not translate it at all.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    18,542 Posts
    How long until Walmart buys Carrefour & Tesco and has a monopoly on supermarkets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,178 Posts
    People in Hong Kong would probably just refer it as "Walmart" than anything else.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,880 Posts
    Ha if only Sam Walton was alive to see this.

9. Post #9

March 2008
    1,766 Posts
    The richest family in the world is about to get richer.

10. Post #10
    FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHT TO SHITPOST IN POLIDICKS
    February 2007
    33,178 Posts
    Walmart will grow larger
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,915 Posts
    Just break a mirror in the back of the TV section of every Walmart, it's the only way to stop them.

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    October 2007
    26,022 Posts
    They don't translate brands, there are already hundreds of 7-Elevens, McDonalds and the like

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,325 Posts

The world’s largest retailer Walmart is considering making a bid for the Hong Kong supermarket business of Asia's richest man Li Ka-shing.
    More like Li Ka-ching if this deal goes through.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)