1. Post #1
    I fought the bet and the bet won.
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    OTTAWA - The United States wants its police officers to be exempt from Canadian law if they agree to take part in a highly touted cross-border policing initiative, says an internal RCMP memo.

The debate over whose laws would apply to U.S. officers working in Canada raises important questions of sovereignty and police accountability, says the briefing note prepared for RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson.

"Canadians would likely have serious concerns with cross-designated officers from the U.S. not being accountable for their actions in Canada."

The planned pilot project part of a sweeping Canada-U.S. perimeter security pact would see the two countries build on joint border-policing efforts by creating integrated teams in areas such as intelligence and criminal investigations.

The perimeter deal, being phased in over several years, aims to ensure the safe, speedy passage of goods and people across the 49th parallel while bolstering North American defences.

The October 2012 RCMP memo was intended to brief Paulson for a meeting with David Moloney, a senior adviser to the Privy Council Office for implementing the vaunted perimeter security deal. A censored version of the classified document was recently obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

It notes that plans were underway for trial projects in the areas of policing and the preclearance of truck cargo, each involving U.S. officers working alongside Canadian counterparts.

The cargo pilot project which has since been announced entails U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers working in Fort Erie, Ont., and Surrey, B.C., to pre-inspect southbound shipments according to American customs procedures.

The so-called Next Generation policing project whose pilots have yet to be finalized would involve U.S. and Canadian officers working on each other's turf to enforce the host country's laws.

The RCMP memo says there are several reasons why it "remains appropriate" for host country laws and courts to continue holding sway, including:

the fact it is generally the right of sovereign states to have jurisdiction over unlawful acts in its territory;

the Canadian and U.S. justice systems are very similar when it comes to use of force by police;

the border pact was negotiated on the understanding that the countries' respective legal frameworks would apply.

"Canadians place a high value on sovereignty and police accountability," the briefing note adds.

A preliminary assessment indicates it "would not be feasible nor desirable to have two law enforcement officers working together being subjected to different regimes for accountability and criminal liability," the memo says.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/wor...#ixzz2ac3ab5Nf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 118Dumb Dumb x 21 (list)

2. Post #2
    Here
    Dennab
    March 2013
    12,416 Posts
    The Host country law model makes the most sense and is the simplest to follow through with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 38Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,284 Posts
    As a Canadian; The American authorities can go fuck themselves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 170Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
    September 2005
    1,544 Posts
    As a German I just agree to that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 40Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,981 Posts
    If Canada's response is anything other than "Go fuck yourselves", I'm going to be disappointed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 108Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,317 Posts
    Any new model must be fully reciprocal, providing Canadian police with the same protections in the United States as granted to U.S. law enforcement officials working in Canada, adds the RCMP briefing note.
    so does this mean the US didn't even suggest it would apply to both sides
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,781 Posts
    As an American, I can agree with this statement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 150Starred Starred x 5Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,567 Posts
    As an American, I wholeheartedly agree.

Edited:

As an American, I can agree with this statement.
    GET A LOAD OF THIS FUCKING GUY, NINJA'ING ME.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 55Funny Funny x 12Zing Zing x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    4,728 Posts
    As someone who is living like 8km from the border I am interested in the result of this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,072 Posts
    this is beyond fucked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,029 Posts
    The US will soon annex Canada. Fallout lore is coming true!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34Funny Funny x 8Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,098 Posts

Only a matter of time, pals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 55Funny Funny x 10 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,276 Posts
    Yeah only 60 years.

If you ask me its an eventuality.

Canada doesn't have a military strong enough to defend itself from Russia or China. And it sure as hell can't hold back the world's strongest military which it borders.

If annexation doesn't come from the military it will come from politics. American politics and culture has so much sway in Canadian policy that we are pretty much another state. To put things into perspective, the state of California has a larger population than ALL of Canada.

The only reason why it hasn't happened yet is because it isn't convenient. But you never know when that might change.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree x 8Dumb x 3Informative x 3Funny x 2Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,598 Posts

Our dedicated boys keeping the peace in newly annexed Canada
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 58Starred Starred x 5Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    ice cream and pussy
    March 2005
    2,057 Posts
    fuck off US
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,591 Posts
    If we invade Canada, it'll be for the oil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,598 Posts
    Yeah only 60 years.

If you ask me its an eventuality.

Canada doesn't have a military strong enough to defend itself from Russia or China. And it sure as hell can't hold back the world's strongest military which it borders.

If annexation doesn't come from the military it will come from politics. American politics and culture has so much sway in Canadian policy that we are pretty much another state. To put things into perspective, the state of California has a larger population than ALL of Canada.

The only reason why it hasn't happened yet is because it isn't convenient. But you never know when that might change.
    I just hope it can be delayed long enough to fix rectify the glaringly obvious issues that would make most Canadians extremely unhappy within the US. I do accept it as a very real possibility though, though I can only assume it will happen through mutual consent because no American president would be politically suicidal enough to declare a military annexation of Canada
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    What's brevity?
    Dennab
    June 2006
    24,062 Posts
    No Democrat, perhaps, but I'm not so sure that if one of the more mentally-unstable parties gets a hold on the White House, that they wouldn't consider the option. Not saying that it WILL happen, but it might.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    As an Australian, I agree with this cunt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 45 (list)

20. Post #20
    I would like to point out the incorrect use of an apostrophe in the title.

Should be "Canadians".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    19,048 Posts
    calm down canadians the cops are just there to steal your delicious maple syrup
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    8,823 Posts
    If we invade Canada, it'll be for the oil.
    No, it'll be for the water.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2012
    248 Posts
    You have got to be kidding me. I know the U.S. has done some pretty nutty things but I didn't think they'd propose something like that.

So, to sum things up quite simply...

Fuck off, U.S.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,400 Posts
    America. Hey.

Fuck. Right. Off.

We let the USA get away with all sorts of shit, especially with Harper in power, but this is our land. These are our laws. You have no jurisdiction here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 27Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Contains Vitamin K!
    January 2011
    4,866 Posts
    No, it'll be for the water.
    No, It'll be for the syrup.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #26
    Official Smiles.
    January 2010
    10,442 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 27Funny Funny x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    10,995 Posts
    If they're going to be operating in Canada, they need to follow Canadian laws.

That said, you guys have heard of diplomatic immunity, right? It's actually pretty common for government employees to be immune to the laws of a host country to a certain degree, just not on this scale and in this case it would be entirely unjustified.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,400 Posts
    If they're going to be operating in Canada, they need to follow Canadian laws.

That said, you guys have heard of diplomatic immunity, right? It's actually pretty common for government employees to be immune to the laws of a host country to a certain degree, just not on this scale and in this case it would be entirely unjustified.
    Yes, but definitely not when they're police. US laws don't apply here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    November 2006
    6,641 Posts
    US trying to basically take over Canada?

How about no. If our government is stupid enough to say yes to this. I cannot believe they'd ask.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    29,652 Posts
    The United States wants its police officers to be exempt from Canadian law
    Oh get fucked. This just reeks of "our laws are better than your laws!" And nothing can go wrong when police officers are exempt from laws!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,712 Posts
    The United States has no right to do something something like this. The fact that its gov't even is remotely thinknig of this is stupid.

The US can fuck off everywhere, methinks. Stay in their own damn country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    5,536 Posts
    Lets go to war with every country in the world while we're at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Ask me about my secret society of Jihadist Mexican Lobsters
    July 2010
    2,874 Posts
    As a American, I must propose one question

34. Post #34
    Missy Q
    June 2005
    12,714 Posts
    Our government is going to let the US do whatever the fuck it wants anyway regardless of whatever laws there are in place. Harper may as well be an American at this point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,357 Posts
    The US just wants to govern the world.

No wonder everybody hates america.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    6,195 Posts
    Harper is probably going to fuck us over.

Why can't the federal election come sooner.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,879 Posts
    This reminds of this time when the military was taking pictures of a Canadian neighborhood and everybody in that neighborhood decided to moon the camera everyday until they removed it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    If we let US cops enforce US law in Canada, there needs to be a confidence vote in Parliament fucking yesterday.

I never thought I'd see the day when I was pining for Mulroney, Chretien, and Martin to be back in power instead of this muppet with the arm of US corporate interests jammed up his ass to the shoulder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9Starred Starred x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    24,878 Posts
    Whenever I see "World Police" come up in any of these threads, I like to remind you to look into your own history of colonization and trying to own the world. Ironic that you post this.

Besides the point, yeah we can fuck off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Starred Starred x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    C'mon, guys. As a Canadian, I trust that the Americans are our friends, and they only want to be able to ignore our laws and enforce their own as a matter of efficiency and familiarity. It's not like they're going to come up and arrest Canadians in Canada for things that are legal in Canada but illegal in the US.

...what do you mean Marc Emery is still in jail?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)