1. Post #1
    I fought the bet and the bet won.
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts

The North Koreans have added a new element to their standard military pageantry: At a military parade on Saturday, units of soldiers were seen wearing packs, like backwards backpacks, with fallout symbols on them. Apparently, Kim Jong-Un's military wants the world to think that they have, or are close to developing, a tactical nuclear device small enough to fit in a backpack. In fact, in 2011, DailyNK reported that the North Koreans had established a "backpack bomb unit." It's pretty unlikely that the nation possesses the advanced technology to miniaturize their weapons enough for such a device, but it is impossible to be sure. This kernel of a doubt is what North Korea is trying to leverage.
    http://www.policymic.com/articles/57...uicide-bombers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny x 174Starred x 8Informative x 3Useful x 2Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2013
    5,840 Posts
    I bet they are crazy enough to use suicide bombers.

But I doubt it is nuclear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 119Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    11,221 Posts
    Lol, yea right. Even the smallest nukes developed by the US weighed about 50kgs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree x 67Dumb x 2Informative x 1Funny x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    May 2009
    1,044 Posts
    And what kind of suicide bomb would have the fucking sign for radiation painted on it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Greece Show Events Funny Funny x 87Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2013
    235 Posts
    And what kind of suicide bomb would have the fucking sign for radiation painted on it?
    For extra subtlety obviously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 69Funny Funny x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2008
    1,623 Posts
    Hiding in plain sight. They'll never see it coming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 50Starred Starred x 4Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    Doesn't need to be a "nuke", dirty bombs are deadly too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 15Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    GOLF WANG
    August 2006
    7,367 Posts
    oh god what if they just jump out of planes by the hundreds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 110Starred Starred x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    11,221 Posts
    Uh, no they're not.

Dirty bombs are weapons of panic. People freak out because they have no clue about radiation. If the contents of a dirty bomb is so dangerous it can kill people in the surrounding area in any reasonable time then there is no way the bomber could handle or be near the stuff. Most dirty bomb attempts have been with mildly radioactive substances. The public hears 'radiation' and freaks out, causing more damage than the bomb itself. It does nothing in the short term and reduces lifetimes by a few years in the very long term.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,617 Posts
    I think those are NBC suit bags.

11. Post #11
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    Uh, no they're not.

Dirty bombs are weapons of panic. People freak out because they have no clue about radiation. If the contents of a dirty bomb is so dangerous it can kill people in the surrounding area in any reasonable time then there is no way the bomber could handle or be near the stuff. Most dirty bomb attempts have been with mildly radioactive substances. The public hears 'radiation' and freaks out, causing more damage than the bomb itself. It does nothing in the short term and reduces lifetimes by a few years in the very long term.
    I don't care with what most dirty bomb attempts have been done with, this is North Korea, they have access to a nuclear programme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2011
    27,335 Posts
    That would be kind of a worry if A) nukes could be that small and B) nukes worked that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,284 Posts
    Good thing the Japanese never got that idea, Nuclear Kamikaze would be fucking horrifying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 21Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    That would be kind of a worry if A)nukes could be that small and B)nukes worked that way.

The highest-ranking GRU defector Stanislav Lunev claimed that such Russian-made devices do exist and described them in more detail.[6] These devices, "identified as RA-115s (or RA-115-01s for submersible weapons)" weigh from fifty to sixty pounds. They can last for many years if wired to an electric source. In case there is a loss of power, there is a battery backup. If the battery runs low, the weapon has a transmitter that sends a coded message—either by satellite or directly to a GRU post at a Russian embassy or consulate.” According to Lunev, the number of "missing" nuclear devices (as found by General Lebed) "is almost identical to the number of strategic targets upon which those bombs would be used."[6]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suitcase_nuke
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing x 34Informative x 4Agree x 1Useful x 1Funny x 1Starred x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,316 Posts
    More of North Korea's hollow threats, nothing new to see here folks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2011
    27,335 Posts
    Okay that's cool but it doesn't help the fact than in order to be effective nukes have to be dropped from a good enough height and detonated before they hit the ground. They don't explode on impact, they do so a few hundred meters before hitting the ground for maximum spread and impact.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    Dirty bombs aren't nukes.
    You said nukes. Make up your mind you crazy.
    That would be kind of a worry if A) nukes could be that small and B) nukes worked that way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2011
    27,335 Posts
    You said nukes. Make up your mind you crazy.
    You gave no description of the thing at first and just went on about how dirty bombs are still dangerous.

19. Post #19
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    You gave no description of the thing at first and just went on about how dirty bombs are still dangerous.
    You said nukes couldn't be that small, you also said nukes couldn't be blown up.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    5,389 Posts
    I think Kim's been playing too much Red Alert.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 46Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    February 2011
    13,113 Posts
    Wow, it's like I'm playing Red Alert 2

damnit jimesu
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 28Late Late x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    I HATE COFFEE
    April 2009
    6,785 Posts
    50kgs put in a backpack is not much at all, and that was back then. Sure, I's probably very hard to make a nuke small enough to fit in a school-type of backpack, but in a hikers backpack, I can't see why they couldn't make that possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    October 2011
    1,507 Posts
    oh god what if they just jump out of planes by the hundreds
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 12Starred Starred x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    16,627 Posts
    50kgs put in a backpack is not much at all, and that was back then. Sure, I's probably very hard to make a nuke small enough to fit in a school-type of backpack, but in a hikers backpack, I can't see why they couldn't make that possible.
    Yeah but nukes that size are usually pretty pathetic in size in terms of destructive ability, certainly not as threatening as an actual missile or bomb. Mostly it'll just spread radiation everywhere.

25. Post #25
    I GOT A TITLE TOO!!!
    July 2010
    1,822 Posts
    Are we going to have another North-korea news-month?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    January 2013
    600 Posts
    I bet it's a    dummy   Nuke backpack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Unless a dirty bomb mass-distributes copies of The Room on detonation, then it's mainly a method of spreading terror rather than sheer death-on-wheels.

Edited:

You said nukes couldn't be that small, you also said nukes couldn't be blown up.
    No, He said that nukes need to be airburst in order to be effective. Which they fucking DO. Detonating a nuke at ground level strapped to one bloke would be laughably ineffective compared to how effective an ICBM would be in comparison.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    November 2005
    508 Posts
    these aren't suicide bombers, the whole article is guess work based off one picture. its sensational BOLLOCKS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    June 2005
    14,184 Posts
    Okay that's cool but it doesn't help the fact than in order to be effective nukes have to be dropped from a good enough height and detonated before they hit the ground. They don't explode on impact, they do so a few hundred meters before hitting the ground for maximum spread and impact.
    Not true.

If a target is ground-burst or air-burst depends on a number of factors. Not to mention ground-bursts create a significant amount of fallout.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

30. Post #30
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    10,170 Posts
    Someone invite RAYHALO for his thoughts on the subject
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    Dennab
    January 2009
    24,631 Posts
    Are you people sure these guys aren't the exact opposite - a team of engineers who have a HAZMAT suit in the backpack and whip them out in case of contamination emergency?

It would make far more sense to put the radiation symbol onto it if it was practically a safety measure so you could quickly find it in case of panic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 13Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    29,221 Posts
    its fine its because imperialistic bourgeois countries threaten glorious north korea with war, so they have to fight back!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    11,874 Posts
    That's what makes it nucular.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    May 2011
    38 Posts
    What happens if one detonates prematurely?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,040 Posts
    What happens if one detonates prematurely?
    making nukes go off is hard, they will absolutely not do anything until you arm them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    3,105 Posts
    R.I.P America 1498-2014
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 16Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    AN ACTUAL NORTH KOREA SYMPATHIZER
    Dennab
    March 2009
    371 Posts
    Are you people sure these guys aren't the exact opposite - a team of engineers who have a HAZMAT suit in the backpack and whip them out in case of contamination emergency?

It would make far more sense to put the radiation symbol onto it if it was practically a safety measure so you could quickly find it in case of panic.
    This is by far the most likely answer. The fact that people were so ready to call the men pictured "nuclear suicide bombers" is a testament to how far people are willing to distort reality, just to maintain the narrative of the DPRK being a evil warlike nation.

Regardless of what you think of my posts. Surely you could at-least agree that a disagreeing opinion gives more room for discussion and debate, then the DPRK hate circle-jerk that normally occurs in these threads.

its fine its because imperialistic bourgeois countries threaten glorious north korea with war, so they have to fight back!
    The only reason the DPRK is as militarized as it is. Is to protect itself from another American war of aggression. If you wish to blame anyone for the DPRK's militarization then blame the USA and its South Korean vassal-state.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    beep
    Dennab
    January 2006
    9,409 Posts
    R.I.P America 0-2014
    ftfy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,032 Posts
    The only reason the DPRK is as militarized as it is. Is to protect itself from another American war of aggression. If you wish to blame anyone for the DPRK's militarization then blame the USA and its South Korean vassal-state.
    But the first Korean War was started by North Korea when they stormed across the DMZ backed up by artillery.

40. Post #40
    AN ACTUAL NORTH KOREA SYMPATHIZER
    Dennab
    March 2009
    371 Posts
    But the first Korean War was started by North Korea when they stormed across the DMZ backed up by artillery.
    The DPRK was attacked first by troops under the command of Syngman Rhee, they only crossed the 38th parallel in an effort to arrest the man who had lead an unprovoked attack on them. The USA saw an opportunity to attack what was at the time a Communist nation and took it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)