1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,739 Posts

"I see our approach on PS4 as really taking Sony Computer Entertainment back to our original roots," said House. "When we first launched with the PS1 and certainly the PS2, the goal was to give the consumer more choice, and lots of flexibility at a time when the delivery mechanism of games, on cartridges, placed a lot of restrictions on the industry. And also, by shifting to disks, to give developers - and particularly smaller ones - the chance to take risks and build a business. I think you're seeing exactly those kinds of principles applied to PS4."
    Original article
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Friendly x 51Starred x 7Dumb x 4Disagree x 1Funny x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,686 Posts
    Making a console to support games rather than making games to support a console
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 70Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,812 Posts
    He looks like such a friendly man.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly x 57Agree x 6Informative x 1Dumb x 1Funny x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,567 Posts
    Looking forward to picking up a PS4 as soon as it has a game I actually want

Also, if you've got the time, Mark Cerny (lead architect on the PS4) made a presentation on how the PS4 came to be, in relation to all the previous Playstations and his own career:

They're on the right track.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Starred Starred x 25Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,689 Posts
    Making a PS2-2 is the key to success
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 46Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FREAKY NIPPLES!!!
    Dennab
    January 2013
    1,461 Posts
    I hope PS4 will support mvk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    11,330 Posts
    Looking forward to picking up a PS4 as soon as it has a game I actually want

Also, if you've got the time, Mark Cerny (lead architect on the PS4) made a presentation on how the PS4 came to be, in relation to all the previous Playstations and his own career:

They're on the right track.
    he doesnt look nearly as creepy as he did at the first reveal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    9,896 Posts
    I wish MS showed more behind the scenes kinda stuff, the people who made it, the decisions they made etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    30,292 Posts
    I wish MS showed more behind the scenes kinda stuff, the people who made it, the decisions they made etc
    it's hard to do that when the stockholders called the shots or you designed it by committee

who knows what microsoft did to get where they did on this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

10. Post #10
    December 2012
    1,128 Posts
    Back to original roots, eh?

The first one was a CD player, the second was a DVD player, the third had Blu-Ray...

What will this one have?

11. Post #11
    It's Treason Then
    December 2008
    23,162 Posts

The first one was a CD player, the second was a DVD player, the third had Blu-Ray...

What will this one have?
    .. Blu-ray
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 20Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #12

What will this one have?
    Betamax
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Starred Starred x 25Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    May 2013
    175 Posts

What will this one have?
    The forth has a "practical" camera.

14. Post #14
    Turbo Dyke
    Dennab
    June 2010
    19,687 Posts
    Frederick Playstation is such a nice guy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

15. Post #15
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    July 2009
    8,026 Posts
    Laserdisc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Starred Starred x 7Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FREAKY NIPPLES!!!
    Dennab
    January 2013
    1,461 Posts

What will this one have?
    Cloud
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,708 Posts
    Put in the fucking post-gen game support and you got yourself a deal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,382 Posts

What will this one have?
    Sony will resurrect the format they killed with Blu ray...

HD DVD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

19. Post #19
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    IMO, now, with statements like these, they're starting to sound like they're trying really really hard to keep surfing on the "we're not microsoft but we are the saviours of the good old gaming" wave
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 22Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Wow!👏Great moves! 👍Keep it up!😁
    February 2006
    46,096 Posts
    He looks like such a friendly man.

I want to hug him for some reason. Just like Gabe Newel.

He just has that Mr. Rogers glow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    11,782 Posts

What will this one have?
    4K blu-rays

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    19,868 Posts
    IMO, now, with statements like these, they're starting to sound like they're trying really really hard to keep surfing on the "we're not microsoft but we are the saviours of the good old gaming" wave
    There's not really much wrong with that. Reassuring people that you don't intend to try what your competitor did that failed isn't a bad thing. Saying "we aren't going to try and make this something it isn't" is fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    6,632 Posts
    Fuck it call me a hipster, gaming was WAY better back in the 90's and early 2000's. If you disagree you are completely blind.

I want more of that hearken back attitude, but applying the principles of what makes contemporary games good. I want publishers to lighten up, I want developers to be more passionate. I want less restrictions on gamers and developers.

I remember gaming used to be hype as fuck, seriously. With every new big game coming out people would freak out for each one and speculate about everything. I don't feel any of that juicy passion anymore in the industry. Everything was fucking dull in the previous generation. I really hope this generation of consoles really creates somewhat of a shift towards a new attitude.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 11Disagree Disagree x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,066 Posts
    Fuck it call me a hipster, gaming was WAY better back in the 90's and early 2000's. If you disagree you are completely blind.

I want more of that hearken back attitude, but applying the principles of what makes contemporary games good. I want publishers to lighten up, I want developers to be more passionate. I want less restrictions on gamers and developers.
    Unfortunately the gaming industry became Hollywood. Publishers can't be happy with a profit of several million. They all want a hundred million, or better yet, a billion dollar franchise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,382 Posts
    The only thing i think we can hope for to improve the industry is another video game crash of '83.

26. Post #26
    OFFICIAL DEAN of MAX PAYNE
    July 2009
    8,026 Posts
    Unfortunately the gaming industry became Hollywood. Publishers can't be happy with a profit of several million. They all want a hundred million, or better yet, a billion dollar franchise.
    It's also quite expensive to make a game anyways. There's tons of licensing fees these days for not only intellectual properties, but technologies like Unreal or CryEngine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,066 Posts
    It's also quite expensive to make a game anyways. There's tons of licensing fees these days for not only intellectual properties, but technologies like Unreal or CryEngine.
    I'd really like to see AAA games start using Unity. It's just as good as the top engines and you can easily buy a commercial license without the need to pay royalties and whatnot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    10,296 Posts
    There's not really much wrong with that. Reassuring people that you don't intend to try what your competitor did that failed isn't a bad thing. Saying "we aren't going to try and make this something it isn't" is fine.
    It's also Sony not doing a single thing and being praised as the saviors of this generation for it.

Going back to their original routes? What kind of vague statement is that?

They could say "the PS4 will play games" and people might think Sony's so great and humble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    11,330 Posts
    its marketing and right now its working well

why wouldnt they do this

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    6,632 Posts
    It's also Sony not doing a single thing and being praised as the saviors of this generation for it.

Going back to their original routes? What kind of vague statement is that?

They could say "the PS4 will play games" and people might think Sony's so great and humble.
    It's not really vague. But yeah it IS marketing, but I also hope they stay true to their words.

The ps3 was originally priced at $599. It featured a processor that made developing for it hell for a lot of developers for most of the PS3's lifespan. I think what they are trying to say is they want the ps4 to be simple and easy to develop on, and simple and easy as a console for gamers without bullshit tacked on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    Well, as long as they can back those claims, that's fine with me.

32. Post #32
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    October 2008
    8,136 Posts

I remember gaming used to be hype as fuck, seriously. With every new big game coming out people would freak out for each one and speculate about everything. I don't feel any of that juicy passion anymore in the industry. Everything was fucking dull in the previous generation. I really hope this generation of consoles really creates somewhat of a shift towards a new attitude.
    Back in the 90s and early 2000s, there were a thicker fog surrounding the entire industry which shrouded games in more mystery. As gamers moved more to the internet and started sharing their interest, the fog cleared. games going stale isn't just publishers doing dumb shit. We're equally responsible. Like maybe ONE game a year comes along and does something new that totally blows us all away. In the old days, people could still discover that game two years later and be totally unspoiled... Now, everyone knows about the game and what it innovated within a week and two weeks later, that wave is dead.

Really! Compare a fascination tide and ebb from back then with one now. They're way more intense and way shorter now. And now, thanks to an industry grown cynical and angry at its customers, the hype is suddenly over way less too.

At least personally, the time for me when new games were the most rad, was in the time before i started using the internet to broaden my insight into videogames. Back when you still believed in bullshit urban legends that you today know that the games systems are way to static and rigid to support ever. That was before you found out how to use the internet. It's not just part of being a kid, this naivity stays with some to this day, even though they're 30-40.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33

not good with computer

June 2013
    2,663 Posts
    This is so much more heartwarming than whatever went into the xbonx.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    October 2008
    8,136 Posts
    The only thing i think we can hope for to improve the industry is another video game crash of '83.
    Yes. By what logic? "What's more lifechanging than one carcrash that paralyzes you from the waist down?" "Duhhuh, i dunno boss... Maybe two?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    11,330 Posts
    Yes. By what logic? "What's more lifechanging than one carcrash that paralyzes you from the waist down?" "Duhhuh, i dunno boss... Maybe two?"
    thats a really bad analogy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,568 Posts
    Making a PS2-2 is the key to success
    PS2+2*

No backtracking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    HAND.CAT
    July 2010
    4,504 Posts
    I don't think anyone wants to take credit for the heap of shit the Xbox One turned out to be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Panama Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    GMod Cruise Line
    January 2013
    187 Posts
    I hope PS4 will support mvk.
    mkv*? As in the File Format?

39. Post #39
    Mud
    Cute Member
    April 2010
    4,467 Posts
    Seeing it not happen and it actually not happening are two different things.

People do that, you just stopped paying attention to it.

Not really. There was shit released back then, there were unfair publishers back then and there were sales quotas back then.

gaming hasn't changed much except technology.

The fuck? Have you ever seen a Call of Duty dev diary? It's pretty clear those guys are pretty passionate about what they are making even if it's shit. Also jesus that is a gigantic collection of vague statements
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Pakistan Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    2,578 Posts

What will this one have?
    Clones

It makes FPS games so much more real
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)