1. Post #1
    July 2009
    5,633 Posts
    Egypt's ruling Freedom and Justice Party has said that "a full military coup" was under way to remove President Mohamed Morsi from power, after an army deadline urging him to meet the protesters' demands expired.

Gehad El-Haddad, a spokesperson for the Muslim Brotherhood and senior adviser to the Freedom and Justice Party, said on Wednesday that armoured personnel carriers were on the move around the outskirts of Cairo and that "some high ranking members of the Brotherhood have been arrested".

Haddad also told Al Jazeera that communication with Morsi was cut off, saying that he could not confirm nor deny whether the president was moved from the Republican Guard Headquarters in the capital.
    Al Jazeera

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 62Starred Starred x 12 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    895 Posts
    Good. Finally they're getting some change in Egypt amid all these protests. Maybe now they can elect someone who doesn't want to fuck them over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 6Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    January 2010
    4,943 Posts
    Yeah good luck with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Sexist
    July 2006
    7,711 Posts
    The problem is, who are the Egyptian people going to trust?

They did not trust secular people last time because they were way too close to the previous regime, and now they will not trust the Brotherhood. Surely they won't go for the Salafists?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    I like the news
    July 2009
    3,337 Posts
    Here's a live stream of Tahrir.

I am considerably happy for the Egyptian people. A military coup is underway and the whereabouts of Morsi is unknown.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Internet Detective (HBIED certified)
    August 2007
    6,962 Posts
    Summary of the Army's statement:

The head of Egypt's army General al-Sisi suspends the constitution and announces the formation of a technocratic interim government ahead of new presidential elections.

The army added a technocratic government will be formed and the Constitutional Court will start preparing for new presidential elections.

The army says the new roadmap includes the temporary suspension of the constitution and an interim head of government until a new president is elected.

General al-Sisi: The speech of the president last night came against the aspirations and demands of the people. That has necessitated the armed forces to consult some national figures - political, religious and youth - and those who attended have agreed on a roadmap that will build a strong and unified Egyptian society.

7. Post #7
    September 2008
    1,063 Posts
    good, fuck morsi.

couldn't stand him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,009 Posts
    I hope this is all for the good of the people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,690 Posts
    The head of Egypt's army General al-Sisi suspends the constitution and announces the formation of a technocratic interim government ahead of new presidential elections.
    Is Egypt the first country to form a Technocracy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 24 (list)

10. Post #10
    Here
    Dennab
    March 2013
    12,425 Posts
    Earlier, Essam al-Haddad, a top presidential aide, declared Egypt’s predicament “a military coup.” In a post on his office’s official Facebook page at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, he warned that no coup could succeed without bloodshed.

“In this day and age, no military coup can succeed in the face of sizable popular force without considerable bloodshed,” Haddad wrote. Hundreds of thousands of people have gathered to support the president and Egypt’s pursuit of democracy, the statement continued. “To move them, there will have to be violence.” There would be “considerable bloodshed.”

“As I write these lines I am fully aware that these may be the last lines I get to post on this page,” Haddad wrote. “For the sake of Egypt and for historical accuracy, let’s call what is happening by its real name: Military coup.”
    It's getting real in Egypt. Hopefully freedom prevails and we don't have another few decades of military rule.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #11
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,188 Posts
    will they not fuck it up on the second try at least

12. Post #12
    Prolonged exposure to
    my opinions can be
    mentally scarring or in
    some cases FATAL
    Dennab
    April 2011
    15,508 Posts

13. Post #13
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,425 Posts
    There was also a similar 'technocratic' government in Italy not too long ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Blue Member
    October 2006
    6,879 Posts
    No, it's common to do when the government fails, to keep shit running 'till you get a new one. Was done in Greece too when they shat their bed, if I recall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    will they not fuck it up on the second try at least
    Third times the charm, eh?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    34,615 Posts
    Still not trusting the military until this is all over.

Though I really hope every thing turns out alright for the people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

17. Post #17
    Blue Member
    October 2006
    6,879 Posts
    Third times the charm, eh?
    I was about to respond 'two out of three ain't bad', but then I realized that'd require at least one previous revolution to be good.

18. Post #18
    April 2011
    677 Posts
    According to the most recent news from the Egyptian Army, the president has been removed from power

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/03/world/...sts/index.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Starred Starred x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,499 Posts
    What does the term technocratic even mean?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    19,000 Posts
    military coups are never a good thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Blue Member
    October 2006
    6,879 Posts
    "People who know their shit are in charge"

Edited:

Like an Oligarchy, but with science instead of philosophy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 7Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    2,031 Posts
    Finally. Now to clean up after the bastard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Egypt Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,239 Posts
    I don't think the military is in any position to seize any permanent power like so many fear. The people in Egypt are very out spoken and aren't just going to sit by and do nothing if the military would make that kind of play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    February 2009
    34,615 Posts
    "Scientists, engineers, and technologists who have knowledge, expertise, or skills, would compose the governing body, instead of politicians, business people, and economists. In a technocracy, decision makers would be selected based upon how knowledgeable and skillful they are in their field."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technocracy

Edited:

I don't think the military is in any position to seize any permanent power like so many fear. The people in Egypt are very out spoken and aren't just going to sit by and do nothing if the military would make that kind of play.
    In a way, they just made themselves a permanent power in that they are now "the guys" who decide to get rid of whomever is in power whenever there's a call for it.

They may not be the Imperator, but they've made themselves a Praetorian guard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1Starred Starred x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    3,301 Posts
    Confirmed, They are the first to have achieved Technocracy.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 85Starred Starred x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    April 2011
    225 Posts
    I think the Military have realised the 'people' are the ones incharge now, in a sense. After the last uprising where the public won, this is the second time.

Dem' Egyptians dont give up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,424 Posts
    The issue with coups is they are like rolling the dice. Does the power vacuum get filled with someone better or worse?

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    2,031 Posts
    Some ingenious bastard did this at Tahrir Square.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Egypt Show Events Starred Starred x 34 (list)

29. Post #29
    February 2009
    34,615 Posts
    I think the Military have realised the 'people' are the ones incharge now, in a sense. After the last uprising where the public won, this is the second time.

Dem' Egyptians dont give up
    The people aren't in charge of shit. They haven't done shit.

The military has. The military ousted the government and the military are in charge. It just so happens that they've been, at least seemingly, going by the wishes of the people.

Edited:

Someone ingenious bastard did this at Tahrir Square.

That doesn't look real, at least to my eyes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2011
    225 Posts

The military has. The military ousted the government and the military are in charge. It just so happens that they've been, at least seemingly, going by the wishes of the people.
    You're forgetting, last time the people of Egypt wanted the previous Government out, they got what they wanted. They went against the Military and police and didn't give up until that happened

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,116 Posts
    In this sense, in effect it just means they are putting the best qualified people in the country in government positions until a government is elected in a few months to fill them.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,424 Posts

Edited:

That doesn't look real, at least to my eyes
    When this many people come to the streets they have the power. The military can't do shit. What are they going to do? Attack the citizenry? Look how unified the people of Egypt are in their resolve. That kind of thing would probably cause open revolution.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,239 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the military wasn't planning on getting rid of Morsi until the mass protests, I think that counts as the citizens doing something.

34. Post #34
    February 2009
    34,615 Posts
    When this many people come to the streets they have the power. The military can't do shit. What are they going to do? Attack the citizenry? Look how unified the people of Egypt are in their resolve. That kind of thing would probably cause open revolution.
    Because a military attacking it's citizens is totally unheard of in history - or even the modern day Middle East.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,239 Posts
    I think what people should really be afraid of right now is the Muslim Brotherhood, experts are saying if they put up a fight it could be a call to arms to others and cause a shit storm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    April 2011
    225 Posts
    Because a military attacking it's citizens is totally unheard of in history - or even the modern day Middle East.
    And look at what happened last time the civil populous wanted the last government out? The Military attacked the public, and the public came out ontop with what they wanted. The Military knows that the people have the power now.

Hopefully, there wont need to be a 3rd set of demonstrations and a new Government in the next year or so.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    10,380 Posts

A revolution or the biggest rave party on the planet?

Also is that a blue laser? Didn't know they made them blue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

38. Post #38
    Nya~
    April 2011
    2,817 Posts

Vanuwarpgate.gif
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 34 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,659 Posts
    Can someone explain to me what Morsi did to get everyone so pissed? I feel like I am just hearing of discontent this week. I like to think I am up to date on most world affairs but I haven't heard anything before this

40. Post #40
    Missy Q
    June 2005
    12,622 Posts
    Can someone explain to me what Morsi did to get everyone so pissed? I feel like I am just hearing of discontent this week. I like to think I am up to date on most world affairs but I haven't heard anything before this
    Well for starters, the first thing he did before his ass even warmed up the presidential chair was given himself absolute power. Secondly, he's a high ranking member of the Muslim Brotherhood so anyone in Egypt who isn't a Muslim is/was getting shafted. Thirdly, he (as far as I know) did nothing to actually address the problems in Egypt which he was elected for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)