1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,302 Posts
    I can understand what you mean by that but Rogue Legacy is not really a roguelike. It has not this pure playthrough like in Binding of Isaac, where you always start with the same stats.

This actually includes some grinding which I really like for once, I like this sense of progression. But it's a matter of preference after all.

2. Post #162
    CJF
    August 2006
    18,178 Posts
    I like it, and although what you essentially are doing is grinding it really doesn't feel like it to me. Probably will later on but right now it feels like every time I level up I'm setting a new challenge or record in coins for me to beat before I can upgrade again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    June 2011
    523 Posts
    I got 30k gold in NG+ from the castle part killing everything and looting chests.
    (I was not a spelunker)

4. Post #164
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,645 Posts
    Hokage is by far the best class for second boss. You oneshot his minions.
    Having lifesteal makes it easy mode

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,089 Posts
    Hokage is by far the best class for second boss. You oneshot his minions.
    Having lifesteal makes it easy mode
    Or spellsword
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,051 Posts
    I was trying to hold out for the possibility that this would be discounted during the Steam Summer Sale, but I enjoyed the demo so much I caved and just bought it. Can't wait to see some of the stuff that wasn't in the demo.

7. Post #167
    Dennab
    November 2007
    12,116 Posts
    He's not terribly hard, but Ponce De Leon's hitbox needs to be a bit bigger I think. I'm always hitting his sprite, but it doesn't register as a hit. And yeah, I'm just hitting the fire on him - but he is a giant flame ball so it should still hurt him.

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,089 Posts
    I just won the game by killing the boss with retaliation but dying. I got the dying animation, but I am on new game plus now...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,662 Posts
    Do vampirism runes give more health back on hit than balance runes, or are balance runes just a straight upgrade to them?

10. Post #170
    June 2011
    523 Posts
    I think vampirism runes give +2 HP back per run, whereas a balance rune only gives 1HP and 1MP back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,375 Posts
    I had a shitty day so to make myself feel better I bought myself this game and I have to say it's fucking fantastic. I love how difficult it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    Saged, Hidden, Reported, Filtered & Called the cops
    June 2008
    6,483 Posts
    Rogue Legacy v1.0.11

Major Changes:
    - Fixed bug where the player could kill a boss and die at the same time.
    - Fixed bug where game would crash when entering the lineage screen if the audio engine failed to initialize.
    - Implemented another check for skill tree corruption.
    - Fixed bug with back up save system if player data was corrupt from the very start.
    - Fixed bug where back up save system didn't work properly on corrupted maps and map data.

General fixes:
    - Message box will now appear if the game crashes.
    - Fixed bug where crash logs were not being generated if the game crashed inside its constructor.
    - Fixed bug where Paladins could block their own spells.
    - Fixed exploit where player could drop through platforms while controls were locked.
    - Fixed bug where impact effect resource pool ran out of resources.
    - Fixed bug where Item drop Manager resource pool ran out of resources.
    - Typo fixed for Death Defy.

Balance Changes:
    - Shinobi can no longer get the timestop spell.
    - Dragon fireball spam re-enabled.
    - Knight Special drain rate tic raised from 3 to 6.
    - Assassin Class spell initialization cost lowered from 10 to 5.
    - Assassin Class spell tic rate raised from 5 to 7.
    - Asassin mana pool lowered from 0.75 to 0.65.
    - Barbarian Special raised from 15 to 20.
    - Mage Int bonus lowered from 1.3 to 1.25
    Moving forward, we will be making all patches for Rogue Legacy available from our website, starting with version 1.0.11. As always, the patches will also be made available on your respective distributorís site, and Steam versions of the game will auto-update to the latest.

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    12,587 Posts
    Anyone else getting frequent freezes/unfreezes when they play this? It messes with my whole computer, winamp stops playing music, ctrl+alt+del dont do anything until everything resumes on its own, cant alt+tab out, everything. Mainly happens when I go to another room. It's strange.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    x 1 (list)
    Dennab
    September 2011
    6,346 Posts
    I've played this game for about ten hours now and will probably never pick it up again

The unlock/currency system is implemented horribly, making the game a very awkward combination of roguelike and RPG
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    6,638 Posts
    the game literally has no roguelike elements except a randomly generated environment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

16. Post #176
    January 2012
    1,002 Posts
    the game literally has no roguelike elements except a randomly generated environment
    Some would consider dying often a roguelike trait.

17. Post #177
    x 1 (list)
    Dennab
    September 2011
    6,346 Posts
    They advertise it as a "rogue-'lite'," and that's exactly what it feels like: a grindy RPG that is trying hard to be categorized as a roguelike

18. Post #178
    June 2008
    6,483 Posts
    Some would consider dying often a roguelike trait.
    dying permanently is more of a roguelike trait. if the game had permanent death, it would be roguelike-ish, yeah, but it doesnt. dying a lot isnt exclusive to roguelikes

They advertise it as a "rogue-'lite'," and that's exactly what it feels like: a grindy RPG that is trying hard to be categorized as a roguelike
    it hardly feels grindy to me, there are so many different room combinations, strategies and tactics that i have to think up, every new offspring feels like a new adventure. i hate grindy shit after putting hundreds of hours into MMOs, so if it felt the slightest bit grindy i would have dropped it quick as shit
    skill tree is fine to me as well, the only thing i dont like is unpurchased stuff going up in price, but it isnt that big a deal. how is it "trying hard" to be catergorized as a roguelike as well? i havent played many roguelikes myself, but stemming from wikipedia, it doesnt have "permanent death" and it isnt "turn based", so if it were trying hard it would probably have those elements
    and "never pick it up again"? it literally just came out, and there have already been a few patches, hell if they want to in the future they could possibly alter the skill tree if they want and besides that bring in new content, so thats a pretty dumb thing to do/say, and not give it a second chance
    but whatever man, if you cant get past a skill tree (which is already perfectly fine imo), thats your problem

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    6,638 Posts
    how is it "trying hard" to be catergorized as a roguelike as well? i havent played many roguelikes myself, but stemming from wikipedia, it doesnt have "permanent death" and it isnt "turn based", so if it were trying hard it would probably have those elements
    I think he just means how they're throwing the word Rogue into the title and promotional materials and stuff.

It seems like the trendy thing to do now, to try linking your indie game to Rogue somehow. But really, the most commonly-touted traits (permadeath, high difficulty) are not exclusive to that genre at all. They were in like 90% of games released before the mid 90s. And randomly-generated stuff is fairly common nowadays, and certainly not exclusive to roguelikes, so I really don't get why indie developers are so in love with the word lately, or operating under the impression that they need to invent a new label like "rogue-like-like" or "rogue-lite," or acting like if you throw enough tertiary features of the genre into the mix, that you suddenly need to claim a spot in that genre.

I guess calling it a Metroidvania game was too obvious?

Edited:

On another topic, the game didn't feel extremely grindy to me until I got up to the last boss. But after one life as a spelunker, exploring every other room of the castle, I had enough gold to level up enough stats to beat him with an endomorph giant hokage. Probably the best combination for fighting in general.

But I do think a lot of the charm wears off after that initial phase of discovery. Once you've seen most of the room layouts, encountered all the enemies, unlocked all the classes and shit, I have to say it's less engaging. I reached a point where I was just making mad dashes for all the chest rooms, hoping for new blueprints, and when they were all gone, rushing to them for gold. I began to feel more like I was harvesting resources than really trying to make progress, but thankfully it didn't last long enough for me to get too bored to beat the final boss.

Took me about 22 hours. Not bad, I guess, but I'm not enough of a completionist to go through with new game+ and find those last few blueprints and max out stats.

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,133 Posts
    Aw.., you Timestop doesnt work with Shinobi anymore.
    Thats like the perfect combination, I killed a boss in like 10 seconds with that.

Also, any tips on how to win the carnival?

21. Post #181
    June 2011
    523 Posts
    What carnival stage? The dagger one is pretty easy, but I cannot win the axe one at all. I always get 14-11 targets left.

22. Post #182
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,328 Posts
    What carnival stage? The dagger one is pretty easy, but I cannot win the axe one at all. I always get 14-11 targets left.
    Opposite for me. Can't hit shit with the daggers, but I can usually get close if not beat the axe challenge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #183
    ~I pirate indie games~
    May 2005
    17,287 Posts
    had my best run yet, 9500 gold at lvl 56. beat the eye boss for the first time too, and attempted the forest boss, but couldn't even get half his health down.

this game is fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,302 Posts
    Damn, I can't beat the tower whatsoever. Sometimes even the castle is just so fucked up in design that I loose nearly all of my health at the start.

Also I had one run where I had this huge rooms that are just filled with monsters, eyes and spiketraps. They are at times hard as hell.

The Tower music is epic though, totally worth it.

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    6,481 Posts
    had my best run yet, 9500 gold at lvl 56. beat the eye boss for the first time too, and attempted the forest boss, but couldn't even get half his health down.

this game is fun
    I know the bosses tend to drop a decent amount of gold but how'd you manage such a nice haul? Good play on the harder sections of the map or did you get lucky with chests/miserly elf?

26. Post #186
    ~I pirate indie games~
    May 2005
    17,287 Posts
    I know the bosses tend to drop a decent amount of gold but how'd you manage such a nice haul? Good play on the harder sections of the map or did you get lucky with chests/miserly elf?
    i played as linch king and used the balance rune and bounty rune, so i guess that helped with staying alive and amassing lots of gold. i cleared almost all of the castle a forest as well.

my previous record was 5600 gold so i must've just got really lucky with chest drops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    15,925 Posts
    Damn, I can't beat the tower whatsoever. Sometimes even the castle is just so fucked up in design that I loose nearly all of my health at the start.

Also I had one run where I had this huge rooms that are just filled with monsters, eyes and spiketraps. They are at times hard as hell.

The Tower music is epic though, totally worth it.
    The last run I played was literally impossible. The entire roo was empty, all the walls and the floor were spikes and there were tiny ledges to land on, right next to the wall spikes. And there was one of those eyes which fires like 7 projectiles in a row.

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,302 Posts
    Yeah at times the game just screws you over, usually when I try to preserve my hp for the boss.

29. Post #189
    Murr purr and stuff!
    November 2007
    24,345 Posts
    i played as linch king and used the balance run and bounty rune, so i guess that helped with staying alive and amassing lots of gold. i cleared almost all of the castle a forest as well.

my previous record was 5600 gold so i must've just got really lucky with chest drops.
    make use of the lich king during your first playthrough because he becomes useless in NG+
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #190
    ~I pirate indie games~
    May 2005
    17,287 Posts
    make use of the lich king during your first playthrough because he becomes useless in NG+
    why's that?

31. Post #191
    Murr purr and stuff!
    November 2007
    24,345 Posts
    why's that?
    because farming enemies to gain more max hp becomes way harder

lich's base hp is very low which doesn't help much either

32. Post #192
    Gold Member

April 2011
    7,500 Posts
    is anyone up for gifting me this game if i gave you a steam key for sleeping dogs when my gpu arrives with the other parts in a few weeks

33. Post #193
    November 2010
    860 Posts
    So I had a pretty successful run...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Zing Zing x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #194
    May 2007
    1,061 Posts
    beat the 2nd boss at level 89!

35. Post #195
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,511 Posts
    What do the numbers (eg 1/2) in the bottom right corner of the character card mean?

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,168 Posts
    What do the numbers (eg 1/2) in the bottom right corner of the character card mean?
    Sounds like an MtG P/T reference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    June 2011
    523 Posts
    Sounds like an MtG P/T reference.
    I was thinking the same thing. Hope it is, I love MtG <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #198
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,145 Posts

So I cleared the entire demo.

Beat the boss, and cleared every room in the castle area.

Now what? (besides buying the game, obviously.)

39. Post #199
    June 2008
    6,483 Posts
    there isnt any more to do in the demo after that, progression wise

40. Post #200
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    25,640 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)