1. Post #161
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,105 Posts
    Also it's not like you can't play sound just in the engineering room, and it's not like you can add optional subtitles or optional hud indicator for the optional sound you can optionally disable in the config or something
    That's a lot of options, and a lot of immersion-breaking things.

Also, what's the point of only playing the sound in the engineering room if the engineer is out and about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #162
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,507 Posts
    Hey, it already makes a microwave "ding" when it's done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 3Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,105 Posts
    I'd bet I'm not the only one who's unhappy with the engineering mechanics. Let's discuss this.

Personally, I think that colour changing should be done manually on a per-pixel basis, but not in a way that allows you to trial-and-error your way to a perfect module in a few minutes.

Maybe get rid of the pixels (they look great, this is just brainstorming) and use some kind of Pipe Dream-esque mechanic to connect different terminals inside the module? This way, modules could be customized and improved to a degree, but there would still be some kind of "hardware limitation", like obstacles or different numbers of in/outputs. The challenge would then be to find the most effective route for a given block type.

This sounds really cool in my head; am I making any sense at all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

4. Post #164
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,507 Posts
    I'd bet I'm not the only one who's unhappy with the engineering mechanics. Let's discuss this.

Personally, I think that colour changing should be done manually on a per-pixel basis, but not in a way that allows you to trial-and-error your way to a perfect module in a few minutes.

Maybe get rid of the pixels (they look great, this is just brainstorming) and use some kind of Pipe Dream-esque mechanic to connect different terminals inside the module? This way, modules could be customized and improved to a degree, but there would still be some kind of "hardware limitation", like obstacles or different numbers of in/outputs. The challenge would then be to find the most effective route for a given block type.

This sounds really cool in my head; am I making any sense at all?
    I originally had something like this in mind, but more like connecting a circuit with tiles that had wires of different orientations. The current system takes a bit more time and effort to find the optimal pattern than I think you realise.

You'll know that the method involves having comparing modules that differ by only one tile to ascertain which colour that tile should be, a process that must be repeated for each tile. The main problem is that you can't selectively remove a single tile to be replaced by a specific colour; the tile(s) that get removed when a module is damaged is random. This is fine for the first few tiles you test, because it is unlikely that the tile that gets removed is one that you have already tested. As you go along, it will take more attempts to break the tile you wanted to replace.

The alternative is to use transcribing; build up a library of 16 modules that each have one tile broken in a distinct place. This library of templates will be kept to selectively break a specific tile from a module to be replaced, speeding up the process in the long run. An additional problem is that for each tile you want to compare you need to find a source for the second colour you want to test.

When a ship spawns, all of its modules initialize with the same pattern, and so it is impossible to construct any other pattern without scavenging from other ships. It will take several ships to find counterparts for each tile.

From testing, it seems like it will take about 45 minutes of constant work to engineer the perfect module for only one module type, and that's with counterparts for each tile readily available. The process seemed interesting enough for me, as there was always something to do to work towards the effort, with many emergent sub-problems encountered that could be solved more efficiently with a bit of thought, like ways of determining the better module when they differ by two tiles when additional information is known etc.

I'd be happy to implement a different system if it is thought out in its entirety and has enough depth and emergence, but I think this mechanic is adequate for now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,105 Posts
    I'm still not convinced. 45 minutes would be a good amount of time if it didn't involve idle periods. I think the main thing I'm averse to is the amount of repetition involved.

That said, there are definitely worse systems out there.

I'm glad that you're willing to take suggestions. I'll try to flesh out my idea a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #166

July 2013
    3 Posts
    I quite like this system! It's certainly unique, and has an easy to use but difficult to master vibe to it which makes it accessible to both casual and more serious players. Another well thought out feature in my opinion!

With regards to alerts, maybe the engineer class could be equipped with a PDA style item (or if classes are a no-go, just have them stored on the ship somewhere so people can grab one if they want). This could alert them when comparing/splicing/transcribing is done if they're elsewhere, and also perhaps show a brief overview of the ship so they're able to see if any systems need repair?

Maybe that last part would negate the use of the consoles a bit. I dunno, just brainstorming!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #167

July 2013
    1 Posts
    Any news?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #168
    I think the engineering is a fresh new look on the matter. I don't know how much interaction you want to get from something but this is pretty interactive indeed. They even pointed out in the video they didn't want a welding gun that fixed things in 5 minutes as that's just common and pretty unreal. Maybe that can be used with something to repair hull breaches...

Other than that, yes I assume it will get repetitive if you're sitting there for half an hour trying to master a module and yes I'd find it boring. That's why you won't find me doing that, I'll give that job to someone I don't particularly care about like a stranger or new crew member, as it is said in the video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,592 Posts
    I like the idea of announcements, but only for things that are of concern to most if not all people on the crew such as being attacked, ship nearly destroyed and stuff like that.

Since engineering is to do with repairing modules, is the responsibility of engines moved somewhere else or forgotten completely?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #170
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,201 Posts
    How about you use a sort of wrist-mounted screen for a hud?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,592 Posts
    Thinking about it, you wouldn't probably need an announcement for getting attacked if there is enough feedback in sound effects or visual effects. Announcements of the percentage of hull integrity would work though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #172
    I'd agree to make the HUD as minimalistic as possible or as Ott has said, to have it mounted on your wrist or something, abit like how it is in Dead Space where your health bar / oxygen level is on the back of your suit.

The guns from the morbus gamemode would be very suitable also (not the guns themselves but the style where the ammo is a holographic dispaly).

And about announcements, engineering isn't important enough to have announcements, I'm sure you can estimate how long it will take and come back when its done. Announcements for things like hull breaches, power cuts to certain areas and whether you have been attacked would be nice.

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,592 Posts
    If there are portable energy weapons, it would be cool if you had to recharge them in the engineering area/reactor.

14. Post #174
    November 2005
    2 Posts
    Hey guys; you look like you're doing an amazing job on this, I love FTL and I can't wait to play this!

Just skimming through the last few pages, there was a little talk of classes?
    I was thinking about this before - classes would run against the style of the game, but I really like the idea that players can pick up a few different items to help them perform roles.

e.g.
    An oxygen tank (personal oxygen supply for x minutes, slows movement and impares vision)
    A hazmat suit (no damage from fire or temperature, but removes jumping and sprinting)
    Personal Shield Unit (gives you an armour layer ala hl2, but means you can't be teleported and makes you glow to enemies)

As for a PDA, how about being able to link it to any one console you have access to? You can use it to check information on that system, but not to actually control it.

Also, the real reason I came here; if you guys get to the point where you start looking for modellers, feel free to give me a shout. Since I last posted on this site, I've become a freelance 3D artist in Manchester and would be happy to help you guys out!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,507 Posts
    Just to clarify, we never intended to include character classes. We would maybe have different races that have different abilities, but no fixed jobs or ranks.

As I said before, I'm going to have to put development on hold for a while because of my job, but that will only be for a couple of months. I might be able to do some work at weekends, and I'll keep you all up to date.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #176
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,507 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

17. Post #177
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    6,205 Posts
    Good to see that you are still able to answer the communities' questions even though you have to deal with both IRL job's and development of the gamemode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #178

July 2013
    3 Posts
    Nice! I agree with the above; it's great that you're finding the time to listen and respond to the community despite your busy schedules.

Is there an ETA on the second part of the video?

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    2,734 Posts
    I'm insanely greedy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #180
    🚑 Sarcasm Wambulance 🚑
    January 2009
    14,692 Posts
    You know, I freaking love this gamemode, but honestly I wouldn't care if it was crap, because watching you two mess about is just so much entertainment in itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #181

July 2013
    178 Posts
    This looks fantastic, made a facepunch account just to say that I can't wait to play this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,507 Posts
    Worked on weapons a bit over the weekend, here's what I have so far:

For each pair of missiles I fire, the first is absorbed by the shields of the room it hits, but weakens them enough for the second to penetrate the shields and damage the room.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

23. Post #183
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,201 Posts
    Oh wow, that effect is actually believable! Perhaps put a "hole" decal in the room for each successful hull breach?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,592 Posts
    Oh wow, that effect is actually believable! Perhaps put a "hole" decal in the room for each successful hull breach?
    Maybe not a hole, maybe just some visible form of damage?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #185
    FISSION MAILED
    January 2010
    9,357 Posts
    Would be cool if the rooms could get set on fire which would damage the module of that room (think FTL).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #186

July 2013
    1 Posts
    When do you think the mod will be released?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    April 2013
    80 Posts
    When it's finished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #188
    I imagine thats a pretty way off. They now have jobs to attend to and the fact that they are only working on the ship modules at the moment and they still need some of the main game mechanics, sweps and a HUD + anything not mentioned here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #189
    July 2013
    6 Posts
    Will the ship moving in overworld affect players on said ship. For instance if a ship makes a hard turn all of the crew are tossed about.

30. Post #190
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,507 Posts
    Will the ship moving in overworld affect players on said ship. For instance if a ship makes a hard turn all of the crew are tossed about.
    If the ship has artificial gravity, it may as well have lateral-G nullifiers or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,167 Posts
    If the ship has artificial gravity, it may as well have lateral-G nullifiers or something.
    That would make the ship harder to control the more people are on the ship,
    inertia of all bodies on the ship in that case add together.

32. Post #192
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,592 Posts
    That would make the ship harder to control the more people are on the ship,
    inertia of all bodies on the ship in that case add together.
    Realism != fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #193
    Realism != fun
    I don't think its do-able because as said, all ships are pre-generated as the map. The only things that will have large functionality (like the modules) are anything coded and placed by the admins of the server or can be obtained by the player somehow.

34. Post #194
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    801 Posts
    I never bothered to read this thread, but now that I did. I love it. Although this somewhat reminds me of SS13.

35. Post #195
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,488 Posts
    Although this somewhat reminds me of SS13.
    That's a good thing, in my opinion. Maybe if it's ever Open Sourced someone could everything that makes SS13 so cool.

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,167 Posts
    I don't think its do-able because as said, all ships are pre-generated as the map. The only things that will have large functionality (like the modules) are anything coded and placed by the admins of the server or can be obtained by the player somehow.
    I am not expecting the ship to move, i am expecting the little red dot that represents the ship to move.
    It would be pretty stupid if it was static.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Croatia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #197
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,507 Posts
    I am not expecting the ship to move, i am expecting the little red dot that represents the ship to move.
    It would be pretty stupid if it was static.
    I'm pretty sure the first video showed the ship moving.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #198

July 2013
    6 Posts
    For the transporters will your crew be able to transport you back from the enemy ship? Or do you have to transport back from the enemies ship using there transporter?

39. Post #199
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,592 Posts
    For the transporters will your crew be able to transport you back from the enemy ship? Or do you have to transport back from the enemies ship using there transporter?
    Ah, but if you used the enemy transporter wouldn't your ships shields have to go down?

40. Post #200

July 2013
    6 Posts
    Ah, but if you used the enemy transporter wouldn't your ships shields have to go down?
    Another great question!