1. Post #81
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,557 Posts
    Oh my... This gamemode looks awesome. Love the consoles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,596 Posts
    I assume you mean video recording mode? Well I'm just speculating here but if its a large open map then there may be spectators but that may influence cheating so no idea.

I'd agree with this although 20 would be the most I'd pay for an indie game. Possibly 25 Considering this is a multiplayer game and will likely have 1 or 2 official servers.
    Plus you can release it on Desura and Steam Greenlight to manage promotional things like sales.

Or possibly a spaceship icon like this:
    -vr as in oculus rift. I don't think it's currently supported by Gmod itself though.

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    476 Posts
    Wow, this looks fantastic, great idea. I look forward to Trekking it up with buddies.

4. Post #84
    I like to constantly remind everyone that I do illegal drugs. I squeeze it into all posts.
    Dennab
    October 2006
    4,158 Posts
    I played a similar game, albeit 8bit graphics but you were in a ship full of other players and you had a job to do. You could be a janitor or something but I'm pretty sure your jobs were chosen randomly. Anyone have an idea of what game that is?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,557 Posts
    I played a similar game, albeit 8bit graphics but you were in a ship full of other players and you had a job to do. You could be a janitor or something but I'm pretty sure your jobs were chosen randomly. Anyone have an idea of what game that is?
    Maybe Space Station 13?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,788 Posts
    The licenses for unity are a pretty steep price considering they won't make much money at all of this project as its practically open source. Despite that I do agree that unity has pretty good limitations to it

Prices for unity pro + team collaborations are 1315 Straight up or 62.50 per month on offer.

EDIT: Alternative professional engines:
    Cryengine3 - Only requires 20% royalties from income as payment.
    Forstbite - EA don't offer licensing for their engines.
    Unreal - You need to contact them for details.

All of these engines also offer a free non commercial alternative though but I'm sure they will be happy to work something out but that is for a later date :)
    Frostbite doesn't have a free non commercial license, unless you are an EA studio you can't use it at all. Please don't present things as fact when you didn't even do extremely basic research.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,596 Posts
    Maybe a cold area could slow movements...

Edited:

Also, from Reddit:

I agree, it needs work.
    The thing about Garry's mod though, the game is what you make of it. Game modes like this are a lot about role play. Say they release a playable build and you get a group of friends to man a ship on a server, imagine this:
    You're on a ship in space, flying god knows where in this dangerous galaxy, subsystems taxed, set precisely to meet the task at hand, when suddenly you are attacked. All hell breaks loose. It is up to the captain to maintain order, and up to you to follow his commands.
    "We've been hit! I repeat we've been hit! All crew to battle stations! Full shields up!
    "There's a hull breach in hallway 2, we're losing oxygen. Door control, seal the bulkheads! Life support, cut the draw to that room, make sure our air supply isn't leaking into space. No engineering don't attempt repairs, we may need that power yet. We've taken a hit to med bay, minimal damage. Shields at 80%. Navigation they should be off our port bow, can we get a lock for weapons? Good, let's bring her about to return fir--" KRAKOOOM!!
    "They hit the reactor room with a torpedo! Tiburon is dead! Power at 60% and falling! There's a fire in weapons, we are disarmed. We need to evac before they board. Life support, drop the tempurature and oxygen output in weapons and the reactor room, try to slow the fire before it reaches the core. All crew to the transport bay for emediate evac. No. No, no Telise I'm not going! A captain goes down with his ship. Go. GO!
    "Transport, are those pads ready for evac? Transport? Do you copy, what's going on down--
    "Who's there? Simmons? If you're here then who's in transport? Oh God. Oh God. Simmons, you've killed us all! YOU'VE KILLED US ALL YOU TRAITOROUS BASTARD!!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

8. Post #88

July 2013
    4 Posts

Also, from Reddit:

I agree, it needs work.
    The thing about Garry's mod though, the game is what you make of it. Game modes like this are a lot about role play. Say they release a playable build and you get a group of friends to man a ship on a server, imagine this:
    You're on a ship in space, flying god knows where in this dangerous galaxy, subsystems taxed, set precisely to meet the task at hand, when suddenly you are attacked. All hell breaks loose. It is up to the captain to maintain order, and up to you to follow his commands.
    "We've been hit! I repeat we've been hit! All crew to battle stations! Full shields up!
    "There's a hull breach in hallway 2, we're losing oxygen. Door control, seal the bulkheads! Life support, cut the draw to that room, make sure our air supply isn't leaking into space. No engineering don't attempt repairs, we may need that power yet. We've taken a hit to med bay, minimal damage. Shields at 80%. Navigation they should be off our port bow, can we get a lock for weapons? Good, let's bring her about to return fir--" KRAKOOOM!!
    "They hit the reactor room with a torpedo! Tiburon is dead! Power at 60% and falling! There's a fire in weapons, we are disarmed. We need to evac before they board. Life support, drop the tempurature and oxygen output in weapons and the reactor room, try to slow the fire before it reaches the core. All crew to the transport bay for emediate evac. No. No, no Telise I'm not going! A captain goes down with his ship. Go. GO!
    "Transport, are those pads ready for evac? Transport? Do you copy, what's going on down--
    "Who's there? Simmons? If you're here then who's in transport? Oh God. Oh God. Simmons, you've killed us all! YOU'VE KILLED US ALL YOU TRAITOROUS BASTARD!!"
    Oh hey, I wrote that. Hi, me!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    Frostbite doesn't have a free non commercial license, unless you are an EA studio you can't use it at all. Please don't present things as fact when you didn't even do extremely basic research.
    Maybe you didn't read what I said. "EA Don't offer licenses for their engines". I think its pretty common knowledge just from looking on the dice website at frostbite and them not having a "licensing" section like other engine websites do.

Don't be so fast to criticise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    FISSION MAILED
    January 2010
    9,432 Posts
    Maybe you didn't read what I said. "EA Don't offer licenses for their engines". I think its pretty common knowledge just from looking on the dice website at frostbite and them not having a "licensing" section like other engine websites do.

Don't be so fast to criticise.
    Why did you even mention it though? They obviously can't use it and won't be able to either way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #91
    October 2008
    29 Posts
    -vr as in oculus rift. I don't think it's currently supported by Gmod itself though.
    An update just went through that made it possible for the rift to be used in all (I think) source games
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/27/so...ame=0&ns_fee=0

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    476 Posts
    Oh hey, I wrote that. Hi, me!
    Man, I was getting chills just reading that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,959 Posts
    Final Frontier is on PCGamer!
    That's awesome, congratulations OP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    May 2013
    131 Posts
    Final Frontier is on PCGamer!
    That's awesome, congratulations OP
    Didn't they already do one on this?

if they did damn they must be really attracted to us!

We should all feel special!
    NOW. DO IT.

Ah i'm an idiot. but seriously though, They did one back in June right?

15. Post #95
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,557 Posts
    Aw fuck, not again. The pressure to finish this... it hurts...

But honestly it feels like it doesn't deserve nearly this much coverage, at least not until the main gameplay is there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #96

But honestly it feels like it doesn't deserve nearly this much coverage, at least not until the main gameplay is there.
    I guess this is what people have wanted. I mean I'm anticipating it even though there isn't a huge list of features, but that allows room for expansion which I think people want. Over time these features will flood in and make the gamemode superb.

17. Post #97
    May 2013
    131 Posts

To be fair mate, Its actually a wonderful mod, It looks absolutely divine! I'm really looking forward to it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,398 Posts

While the current state of the mod isn't anywhere near finished, both it and the idea of it display a lot of potential, which is what's gets you so much praise. You can have a shit idea but great execution, and it'll still be crap. You have a fantastic idea, and we're all hoping your execution of it will be great too.

Best of luck on the project!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,557 Posts

Right click -> loop

Oh wait I should add a klaxon sound too, hold on a sec.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    January 2012
    1,310 Posts
    Please release it when it's done instead of having it all on a few servers... like some of us just wanna play LAN with a few friends not on a full and possibly laggy if we are far away server... thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #101

April 2011
    5 Posts
    I cannot wait for this, FTL is one of my favourite games and this looks amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    Please release it when it's done instead of having it all on a few servers... like some of us just wanna play LAN with a few friends not on a full and possibly laggy if we are far away server... thanks.
    It is getting released to the public once its in a usable standard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    May 2013
    131 Posts
    It is getting released to the public once its in a usable standard.
    We can all only hope thats soon!

24. Post #104
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,557 Posts
    We're planning to record a Q&A video soon, so if you have any questions you would like answered then feel free to post them below.

We also need to re-record the video we had explaining the floor hatches, since the original file got corrupted somehow.

25. Post #105

July 2013
    4 Posts
    We're planning to record a Q&A video soon, so if you have any questions you would like answered then feel free to post them below.

We also need to re-record the video we had explaining the floor hatches, since the original file got corrupted somehow.
    Q: Will users be able to create map layouts and submit them to either you guys or server admins to add as playable ships?

As an aside, noticed those hatches in the last video. Could it be... AIR DUCTS?! :0 Can't wait to see what you have in store for us. You're awesome.

26. Post #106

June 2013
    1 Posts
    Q: Will you guys have any wall-mounted consoles like they had in The Next Generation in all the hallways? Would it be possible to make it so you can access basic ship information anywhere along the hallway like you could in TNG?

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,596 Posts
    Q: Will there be an option of being complete PvE on small servers?

Q: How far will ships be customisable?

28. Post #108

July 2013
    4 Posts
    Man, I was getting chills just reading that.
    Hey thanks. Always nice to hear when someone likes your work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #109

July 2013
    5 Posts
    You should make a room that is able to turn on Nyan Jazz to all the rooms.
    But it looks great, keep up the good work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #110

July 2013
    1 Posts
    I stumbled across this after being linked to it from another site. To start I want to say I am incredibly stoked for the release and already eager to do some modding of it if you allow that as I have tons of ideas. Keep up the awesome work, it's looking great.

In addition, as someone who is currently designing (not much programming done at the moment; I like to be ambitious with my mods) an FTL knockoff inspired for similar reasons, I just wanted to add my two cents.

I understand what you intend to do when you say you're building a template or proof of concept in Garry's Mod and intend to create a more robust program in a different engine if it works out the way you expected. I understand that you want to start with some simple design for practice that closely emulates FTL that you can build off of if you make this a real game. Starting simple, getting it done, and building off of it is a mainstay of software development, after all; that's what the developers of the recently released XBLA game State of Decay are doing. But like them, I think it's important for you to identify what you want to do with this version but also have a solid plan of what you're doing in later versions with an eye of being as ambitious as possible.

It's not good to let yourself get too wrapped up in the same constraints that the makers of FTL had to work around with when you're designing this game, even in this pre-beta proof-of-concept. I can see hints of FTL design philosophy (that, while suited to FTL, would not make sense in a 3D ship simulator) creeping into this mod that may negatively influence both it and future concepts. If you have a plan for this idea both in the short term and in the long term and follow through with it, I can guarantee you this has the potential to be the Minecraft of space.

When I was brainstorming about what my own approach to a 3D FTL would look like, I didn't want to make a first-person FTL clone, I wanted to make what FTL would have been had the makers decided it was going to be first-person from the start. It would have to be a roguelike, or at least have instance-based PvP, but rather than say "FTL in 3D" I wanted it to be "crewing a spaceship in 3D". I wanted to keep the elements FTL did right but I also did not want to restrict myself to only emulating the gameplay elements that FTL had.

A few examples to illustrate my point:

1. You seem to be heavily influenced by the power-redirecting mechanics of FTL. That was mostly there to give players something to do other than order their units around. While power management can and should be an important system, I don't think you should restrict yourself to "powered systems" when thinking of what to populate different rooms with. Rooms that have nothing to do with power can still be an important gameplay mechanic, such as an armory for repelling people boarding your ship and for responding in kind. Even better, perhaps the armory also holds security cameras and the door control, and recharges the security teams laser weapons or something. The Medbay really shouldn't have a console at all unless it's to turn on specific medical equipment for a specific reason, like if you want to simulate space battle -related injuries. You could simulate a permanent environment with a 24-hour server by adding sleeping, living and dining quarters; now it's not just a PvP FTL battle but an open-world game!

Similarly, when piloting is just "click on point to move" (yeah I know its a work in progress), what is there really for engine operators to do? Add or subtract passive dodge chance kinda works for a game designed around power-shunting macro, but a true engine operator really should control which engine is outputting at what power in a manner that allows the ship to make real maneuvers in a 3D environment. Not exactly feasible to truly model in Garry's Mod methinks (I don't know, I haven't tried; most of my own attempts at it so far involved trying to model gravity correctly to allow the general environment to be weightless while allowing the ship to spin around in 3D while some magic gravity generator keeps peoples feet on the floor, and from what I've noticed that's fucking impossible in the engine I'm using), unless you just hack it by simulating the movement.

As a random aside: I was thinking if you wanted to simulate real 3D ship movement while retaining the built-in gravity from the engine, you could try having two different independent game environments for the two ships and independently emulating the relative presence of the enemy ship in each environment. Hope that makes sense...

2. Who says there needs to be a single control console in each room? FTL relegated one system per room and one operator per system mostly for gameplay constraints. From a logical standpoint, while it might make sense to have a distinct room for shields, weapons, engines, and the teleporter, it doesn't make sense to have a unique room for doors, life support, et cetera. I imagine weapons, shields, and engines could and should have room for multiple operators too since it can't be an easy task. In popular science fiction it is common for the "bridge" to hold a bunch of important within shouting range of the "captain" who is not really piloting but rather giving orders to the engine operator to maneuver the ship around by adjusting engine power, for example. Having multiple crewmembers on different weapons opens up the possibility of independently aiming the weapons in 3D rather than just clicking on a ship. Similarly, being responsible for requesting power from the reactor to shunt to various sections of shield to cover damage and malfunction doesn't have to be a one-person job. And increasing or decreasing power to specific engines to enact specific maneuvers sounds like a job for everyone.

In any case, while I was designing my variation on FTL, I turned around and looked a lot at Eve Online. I wanted to have capital ship vs capital ship mechanics designed around positioning and orienting your ship in a manner that presents the smallest profile and allows the majority of your weapons a bead on the enemy. But at the same time I wanted to be able to fly one-man "fighters" around that are hard to hit with weapons and can take potshots at the enemy ships with missiles or something. Like I said, ambitious, but I'd just wanted to emphasize to keep your mind open to the possibilities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Useful Useful x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #111

July 2013
    4 Posts
    @TheDjinni

I think you have some good input, but I think we all need to take a step back here.

This is simply a Garry's Mod game mode we are talking about at the moment. While Ziks has stated that he wants to port this to a different engine at some point, he has kept the scope limited for now. Also, while I don't doubt his talent, he has given every indication that this project is not his top priority in life. Therefore he has set very realistic goals, in order to make the game mode playable and fun.

Please let us not get carried away with suggestions, and steamroll this guy with the hype train.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #112
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,557 Posts
    I stumbled across this after being linked to it from another site. To start I want to say I am incredibly stoked for the release and already eager to do some modding of it if you allow that as I have tons of ideas. Keep up the awesome work, it's looking great.
    Thank you! I'm making sure the code is as clean and expandable as possible to make it easy for modders to expand the game in whatever way they like.

In addition, as someone who is currently designing (not much programming done at the moment; I like to be ambitious with my mods) an FTL knockoff inspired for similar reasons, I just wanted to add my two cents.

I understand what you intend to do when you say you're building a template or proof of concept in Garry's Mod and intend to create a more robust program in a different engine if it works out the way you expected. I understand that you want to start with some simple design for practice that closely emulates FTL that you can build off of if you make this a real game. Starting simple, getting it done, and building off of it is a mainstay of software development, after all; that's what the developers of the recently released XBLA game State of Decay are doing. But like them, I think it's important for you to identify what you want to do with this version but also have a solid plan of what you're doing in later versions with an eye of being as ambitious as possible.

It's not good to let yourself get too wrapped up in the same constraints that the makers of FTL had to work around with when you're designing this game, even in this pre-beta proof-of-concept. I can see hints of FTL design philosophy (that, while suited to FTL, would not make sense in a 3D ship simulator) creeping into this mod that may negatively influence both it and future concepts. If you have a plan for this idea both in the short term and in the long term and follow through with it, I can guarantee you this has the potential to be the Minecraft of space.
    It's true that we are clinging perhaps too close to FTL's formula for this version, but I think I can justify that. I could blame it on the limitations of Garry's Mod, but I suppose it is mostly because I'm wary of trying out too many new things at once in case they cripple the project. However, we are trying out quite a few new mechanics and expanding on some that FTL had. I've had pretty much all of the game systems planned out from near the beginning, intentionally limiting the number of mechanics so that I had a finite checklist to work through. I'm certainly planning to expand freely on each aspect of the game when the first playable build is complete.

When I was brainstorming about what my own approach to a 3D FTL would look like, I didn't want to make a first-person FTL clone, I wanted to make what FTL would have been had the makers decided it was going to be first-person from the start. It would have to be a roguelike, or at least have instance-based PvP, but rather than say "FTL in 3D" I wanted it to be "crewing a spaceship in 3D". I wanted to keep the elements FTL did right but I also did not want to restrict myself to only emulating the gameplay elements that FTL had.

A few examples to illustrate my point:

1. You seem to be heavily influenced by the power-redirecting mechanics of FTL. That was mostly there to give players something to do other than order their units around. While power management can and should be an important system, I don't think you should restrict yourself to "powered systems" when thinking of what to populate different rooms with. Rooms that have nothing to do with power can still be an important gameplay mechanic, such as an armory for repelling people boarding your ship and for responding in kind. Even better, perhaps the armory also holds security cameras and the door control, and recharges the security teams laser weapons or something. The Medbay really shouldn't have a console at all unless it's to turn on specific medical equipment for a specific reason, like if you want to simulate space battle -related injuries. You could simulate a permanent environment with a 24-hour server by adding sleeping, living and dining quarters; now it's not just a PvP FTL battle but an open-world game!
    We've been planning to include rooms designed for storage - be it weapons, ship parts or loot - allowing players to choose one to act as an armoury or whatever they like. We also want to have player held tools and weapons have a universal rechargeable battery that they can perhaps charge in the reactor room. To validate the medical bay as a system, we have a couple of mechanics planned that certainly requires a dedicated room. I would certainly love for the project to be an open-world multiplayer space sim, but I can't make any assumptions about ship persistence when there are a finite (and relatively small) number of ships available due to Source engine constraints. Instead, gameplay is designed for a crew to stick together for around 2 or 3 hours at most (but not enforcing a hard limit). When a new ship is founded the crew will be assigned one main objective that they are expected to take a few hours to complete (defeat a specified leading player controlled ship if one is available / find an ancient alien artefact by following a series of clues / defeat an automated boss ship that's lurking in a specified system etc), along with optional subgoals that players may achieve along the way.

Similarly, when piloting is just "click on point to move" (yeah I know its a work in progress), what is there really for engine operators to do? Add or subtract passive dodge chance kinda works for a game designed around power-shunting macro, but a true engine operator really should control which engine is outputting at what power in a manner that allows the ship to make real maneuvers in a 3D environment. Not exactly feasible to truly model in Garry's Mod methinks (I don't know, I haven't tried; most of my own attempts at it so far involved trying to model gravity correctly to allow the general environment to be weightless while allowing the ship to spin around in 3D while some magic gravity generator keeps peoples feet on the floor, and from what I've noticed that's fucking impossible in the engine I'm using), unless you just hack it by simulating the movement.
    Originally we planned to have something like this for engineering, choosing how much power each engine receives to aid either pure forward acceleration, or the ability to turn rapidly etc. This felt like something that a ship's computer could probably do automatically pretty easily however, and would be a job that wouldn't be all that exciting. After ditching that we freed up engineering for its new purpose, which we will show in a video coming up soon-ish. It's related to the floor hatches, and repairing parts of the ship. Now piloting will handle all aspects of ship movement, which is limited to a 2D plane because of engine limitations and to simplify gameplay.

As a random aside: I was thinking if you wanted to simulate real 3D ship movement while retaining the built-in gravity from the engine, you could try having two different independent game environments for the two ships and independently emulating the relative presence of the enemy ship in each environment. Hope that makes sense...
    That's probably what I'll try if I get to the stage of rewriting it in a different engine if that engine enforces a definite idea of what direction "down" was.

2. Who says there needs to be a single control console in each room? FTL relegated one system per room and one operator per system mostly for gameplay constraints. From a logical standpoint, while it might make sense to have a distinct room for shields, weapons, engines, and the teleporter, it doesn't make sense to have a unique room for doors, life support, et cetera. I imagine weapons, shields, and engines could and should have room for multiple operators too since it can't be an easy task. In popular science fiction it is common for the "bridge" to hold a bunch of important within shouting range of the "captain" who is not really piloting but rather giving orders to the engine operator to maneuver the ship around by adjusting engine power, for example. Having multiple crewmembers on different weapons opens up the possibility of independently aiming the weapons in 3D rather than just clicking on a ship. Similarly, being responsible for requesting power from the reactor to shunt to various sections of shield to cover damage and malfunction doesn't have to be a one-person job. And increasing or decreasing power to specific engines to enact specific maneuvers sounds like a job for everyone.
    My code doesn't enforce a limit to how many screens can be in a room, although it does maintain that rooms may only contain at most one system. This is required for similar gameplay reasons as in FTL; to make it possible to target an attack on a specific system by targeting the room that hosts it, and limiting access to a certain system by evacuating the host room / locking its doors / starting a fire. I would also like the crew to be spread out around the ship so the choice isn't always to just attack the bridge.

In any case, while I was designing my variation on FTL, I turned around and looked a lot at Eve Online. I wanted to have capital ship vs capital ship mechanics designed around positioning and orienting your ship in a manner that presents the smallest profile and allows the majority of your weapons a bead on the enemy. But at the same time I wanted to be able to fly one-man "fighters" around that are hard to hit with weapons and can take potshots at the enemy ships with missiles or something. Like I said, ambitious, but I'd just wanted to emphasize to keep your mind open to the possibilities.
    The game as we've designed it should be able to support both styles of combat; I'm building the weapons system to be directional so you can only target areas on an enemy ship that face you (unless we add some sort of boomerang missile that can fly past and attack from the rear), so piloting and shields will have an active and cooperative role in combat to orient the ship to hide the most critical rooms, emphasising shields on the exposed face. We'll also allow evasive manoeuvres; missiles will have a limited ability to turn when homing in on a ship, and a finite lifespan. This will allow nimble ships to avoid incoming missiles if the pilot is wary enough.

Thank you for the feedback, you made very valid points and your vision for the game is very close to the ideal that I would aim for if I was developing this is a less restrictive environment and had more confidence in my abilities. I wish you luck with your project if you continue it, and look forward to any mods you produce for this one if I ever get around to finishing it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    Fabulous Member
    November 2007
    2,557 Posts
    I see you there in the visitor list bucksexington! Thank you for the RPS article, while I feel coverage is a little early I really appreciate the attention we've received and all the feedback. We'll try our best to make this as close to the game we've been dreaming of as we can.

34. Post #114
    May 2013
    131 Posts
    -snip because Ziks is to damn good for a quote-
    Q: Will there be fighter-class mini-ships that the main (Mother) Ship will be able to deploy?

Q: Will you be able to travel into other planets? Will it be able to burn up in the Atmosphere if so and blow up/die/crash land?

35. Post #115

July 2013
    13 Posts
    Here's a suggestion: Little arcade-style minigames for each station (a different one for each station) that give a temporary bonus to that station as you play through them. Maybe having minigames of varying duration to apply different buffs, like a short 5 second button-match challenge for a short large buff, or a couple rows of tetris for a longer buff, etc.

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    2,105 Posts
    Q: Will there be fighter-class mini-ships that the main (Mother) Ship will be able to deploy?

Q: Will you be able to travel into other planets? Will it be able to burn up in the Atmosphere if so and blow up/die/crash land?
    I'd guess that the chance of drones is higher than that of fighters, and considering the Trekky qualities of FTL, landing on planets probably won't be a thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #117
    May 2013
    131 Posts
    I'd guess that the chance of drones is higher than that of fighters, and considering the Trekky qualities of FTL, landing on planets probably won't be a thing.
    Gotta admit though that'd be a cool feature if it was wouldn't it? Just imagine that,
    going on different planets that have certain oxygen/gravity levels, aliens (maybe even make a Combine home-world! :D)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    FISSION MAILED
    January 2010
    9,432 Posts
    God, some of you guys are getting a little too hopeful when it comes to the amount of features. I can imagine that making multiple ships and travelling out in space is already hard enough as it is. It's also supposed to be a FTL like gamemode, right? Not Star Citizen, Garry's Mod edition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #119
    May 2013
    131 Posts
    God, some of you guys are getting a little too hopeful when it comes to the amount of features. I can imagine that making multiple ships and travelling out in space is already hard enough as it is. It's also supposed to be a FTL like gamemode, right? Not Star Citizen, Garry's Mod edition.
    Let people have their dreams and expectations. Don't kill it before its release --- or before people even have a chance to play it and experience what it offers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

40. Post #120
    FISSION MAILED
    January 2010
    9,432 Posts
    Don't kill it before release? I don't really get what you're trying to tell me.

I'm just saying. By having so high expectations you're only gonna disappoint yourself when the release hits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)