1. Post #1
    I am the Asian Ed Sheeran Rabbit - My sister
    June 2012
    5,095 Posts
    [table="width: 900, align: left, class: outer_border"]
    [tr]
    [td]Tuesday at the Stream conference, executives from multi-channel networks echoed a controversial blog post by entrepreneur Jason Calacanis over the weekend in which he chided YouTube for taking too large a cut of his channel's revenue. The post has been the talk of the online video community since it surfaced -- so much so that Electus COO Drew Buckley kicked off his panel by asking those executives for their take.

Barry Blumberg, EVP of Alloy Digital and president of Smosh, YouTube's single most subscribed channel, was particularly outspoken, questioning whether the core of YouTube's business short videos -- could ever be a huge source of revenue for producers.

"I'm not sure today -- like I was a long time ago -- that there is a lot of value in the 3-to-5 minute video," he told the crowd at the Santa Monica conference. "When is that ad market going to tip where it starts to make sense for us to produce this video, which is infinitely less expensive? It's not getting there."

Blumberg said that YouTube's relationship with many of the multi-channel networks has deteriorated in spite of higher viewership. He noted that Smosh now generates more than 65 percent of its revenue from sources other than YouTube.

[...]

Other panelists expressed a growing dissatisfaction with the money they were making on YouTube. These partners feel that YouTube's business approach enriches YouTube without making them nearly as wealthy.

[...]

During the panel, Chris Williams, chief development officer at Maker Studios, expressed confidence that ad dollars will eventually follow YouTube eyeballs. "No other platform in the world has the proven ability to make something go viral," Williams said.

[...][/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Wee.
    And the video I found it from can be found here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 21Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Starred Starred x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,533 Posts
    I'm personally fine with it. People shouldn't stick to just one area as an artist and putting all your stock in one place is foolish. Expecting to get rich and demand more money when all you're doing is making lets plays is also naive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 38Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    7,742 Posts
    Youtube really changed for the worse when people started getting paid for views.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 108Disagree Disagree x 11Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,036 Posts
    Double post....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,533 Posts
    Seriously. I get annoyed at youtube buffering as much as anyone, but I recognize that sending out all that data is expensive.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,036 Posts
    Not to derail, but that layout is unreadable on Android

(I would post about the article if i could read it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,533 Posts
    Not to derail, but that layout us unreadable on Android

Tuesday at the Stream conference, executives from multi-channel networks echoed a controversial blog post by entrepreneur Jason Calacanis over the weekend in which he chided YouTube for taking too large a cut of his channel's revenue. The post has been the talk of the online video community since it surfaced -- so much so that Electus COO Drew Buckley kicked off his panel by asking those executives for their take.

Barry Blumberg, EVP of Alloy Digital and president of Smosh, YouTube's single most subscribed channel, was particularly outspoken, questioning whether the core of YouTube's business short videos -- could ever be a huge source of revenue for producers.

"I'm not sure today -- like I was a long time ago -- that there is a lot of value in the 3-to-5 minute video," he told the crowd at the Santa Monica conference. "When is that ad market going to tip where it starts to make sense for us to produce this video, which is infinitely less expensive? It's not getting there."

Blumberg said that YouTube's relationship with many of the multi-channel networks has deteriorated in spite of higher viewership. He noted that Smosh now generates more than 65 percent of its revenue from sources other than YouTube.

[...]

Other panelists expressed a growing dissatisfaction with the money they were making on YouTube. These partners feel that YouTube's business approach enriches YouTube without making them nearly as wealthy.

[...]

During the panel, Chris Williams, chief development officer at Maker Studios, expressed confidence that ad dollars will eventually follow YouTube eyeballs. "No other platform in the world has the proven ability to make something go viral," Williams said.

[...]
    Edited:

Youtube really changed for the worse when people started getting paid for views.
    It was fine back when you could only enable ads if you were a partner, now anybody can turn on adsense and there's no moderation. They used to be like, extremely selective with who they made partners and or directors back in the day. Early youtube had a lot of content moderation and limits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 27Starred Starred x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,559 Posts
    Seriously. I get annoyed at youtube buffering as much as anyone, but I recognize that sending out all that data is expensive.
    my only problem is that mine has to play through the whole thing to buffer

basically of i pause it a a certain point and it's not complete buffering, it'll stay probably 10% from the exact time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,533 Posts
    It was fine back when you could only enable ads if you were a partner, now anybody can turn on adsense and there's no moderation. They used to be like, extremely selective with who they made partners and or directors back in the day. Early youtube had a lot of content moderation and limits.

Edited:

my only problem is that mine has to play through the whole thing to buffer

basically of i pause it a a certain point and it's not complete buffering, it'll stay probably 10% from the exact time
    Yep. My complaint really is that they massively grow each yet, and yet they still struggle to consistently buffer videos without pausing them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    June 2012
    5,095 Posts
    Not to derail, but that layout us unreadable on Android

What phone do you have?

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    21,594 Posts
    I don't understand how Smosh is still around, wasn't the only reason they were popular (like SIX YEARS AGO) was because in early youtube, they were really the only people putting out constant comedic content. Then, when other channels opened out, Smosh looked like garbage. How did they keep their subscriber base?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

12. Post #12
    November 2011
    11,899 Posts
    You need a pretty huge audience (in the 1'000'000s) to be able to properly life off YouTube. Although having a little money on the side from an actual job from something you in general like doing is pretty nice as well. They do take a lot though. And it's very random. Last month the average from TGN (whom I'm partnered with) was 2.14 dollars per 1000 views. This month it was 1.08.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    7,742 Posts
    I don't understand how Smosh is still around, wasn't the only reason they were popular (like SIX YEARS AGO) was because in early youtube, they were really the only people putting out constant comedic content. Then, when other channels opened out, Smosh looked like garbage. How did they keep their subscriber base?
    12 year olds.
    People who subscribed in the past but never unsubscribed.
    People who watched just one of their video, subscribed and never watched any of their videos again.
    People who like "lol funny randumb" videos
    12 year olds
    Etc etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

14. Post #14
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    12,967 Posts
    Oh it's not just me experiencing Youtube video players being utter and absolute shit?

I use to bring up a few videos, let them load, and watch them later. Now it takes 3 times as long and I have to put my computer on mute, let them play, then click replay when it finishes.

I'm eagerly awaiting another video site.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,533 Posts
    It's been eight years now man.

Edited:

Oh it's not just me experiencing Youtube video players being utter and absolute shit?

I use to bring up a few videos, let them load, and watch them later. Now it takes 3 times as long and I have to put my computer on mute, let them play, then click replay when it finishes.

I'm eagerly awaiting another video site.
    There's plenty of other video sites, the thing with them is that if they're not hotlinked or embedded on the host website, they're shitty. Mainly because you can't really find content that well on other websites.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member

October 2008
    2,426 Posts
    They ought to have known; Google is a business and they're going to do anything they can to increase their profit and lessen yours, preferably without a shitstorm. Many online big shots left years ago to focus on other sites or made contracts with outside interests to combat that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,701 Posts
    Think they've also done let's plays or starred in other peoples let's plays, pewdiepie was one..

18. Post #18
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,169 Posts
    Smosh did lose most of their original fanbase to make way for their new fanbase, it basically happens to everyone, however they are regarded as the "originals" of YT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #19
    September 2012
    498 Posts
    And why MeganSpeaks is still there showing her mole on her tit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,681 Posts
    I've been a viewer, not a producer, from almost the beginning. The thing that's always made me laugh about these people running their channels is their inflated sense of worth.

If you get 100,000 views per video, so what? That doesn't make you important. You could leave Youtube forever and Youtube would still roll on, without even noticing you're gone.

That is what they don't realize. There is a critical mass now of people uploading videos. No producer, no matter how successful, matters enough to demand anything from Google. They simply don't have the leverage. People like me go to Youtube to watch stuff because we know that whatever category of video we are interested in, Youtube has a shitload of video content. Fifty percent of current uploaders could disappear overnight and I won't notice because of the tons of videos still coming online every day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

21. Post #21

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,419 Posts

how the fuck are these people the biggest youtube channel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

22. Post #22
    I do it all
    November 2010
    20,169 Posts

Their target audience is young teenagers under the age of 14 who like random and soft satire comedy, hence why a lot of their videos they censor the swearing, kids that age find bleeps funny and hilarious because it makes you use your imagination
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    September 2012
    498 Posts
    Onision seems to target underage girls.

24. Post #24
    "Suicidal thoughts? Depression?  Harden the fuck up." -uzikus
    Dennab
    February 2010
    1,937 Posts

What is this faggotry...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    1,195 Posts
    Yeah I remember liking smosh a few years ago, but I've grown out of watching that kinda stuff and don't really find them funny anymore.
    Some of my friends at school still like them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    2,362 Posts
    I have been a YouTube partner for two years now, and I can tell you guys that there are two kinds of content producers out there. There are the ones that truly care and will continue to produce quality content, and there are the ones who used to produce quality content and still sometimes do, but eventually the profits and endorsements get to them. It's just how it goes.

It's all truly sad, but have faith that some us still try to keep it real.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    15,398 Posts
    I thought Ray William Johnson was as bad as it got. He now has a formidable contender:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 12Funny Funny x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    katbug
    I'm personally fine with it. People shouldn't stick to just one area as an artist and putting all your stock in one place is foolish. Expecting to get rich and demand more money when all you're doing is making lets plays is also naive.
    They're making an art form which people want to see and appreciate.

No matter the content, their following should get proper recognition as far as the traffic they're drawing to the site.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    September 2012
    498 Posts

BAWWWWW.

I know like her arrows either point her at her tits or fugly face.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,691 Posts
    This is from 2009, and from one of my favorite old youtubers.

Just goes to show you this shit isn't new.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    6,049 Posts
    Cr1tikal makes over $2000 every month from his partnership and donates it all to charity (with proof too)

The ads aren't all bad, just mostly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,566 Posts
    I use ad block, does that count as lost revenue when I view a youtube video?

Edited:

Cr1tikal makes over $2000 every month from his partnership and donates it all to charity (with proof too)

I wish I could filter adblock for some of the channels I like, so I know they getting money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

33. Post #33
    June 2012
    5,095 Posts

That is one thing more people should do.
    Not rely on ads making them money.

It is a huge risk to take.

34. Post #34
    March 2008
    1,789 Posts
    Yeah I think people getting paid is good. Obviously I don't think Smosh/PewDiePie/Insert annoying youtuber here making buckets is good, but I quite like some of them and it's nice that they can make a living off making videos. I'm thinking criken, Ashens and I don't think they're particularly popular here, but I quite like some of the yogscast channels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    June 2012
    5,095 Posts
    Yeah I think people getting paid is good. Obviously I don't think Smosh/PewDiePie/Insert annoying youtuber here making buckets is good, but I quite like some of them and it's nice that they can make a living off making videos. I'm thinking criken, Ashens and I don't think they're particularly popular here, but I quite like some of the yogscast channels.
    I am not a big fan of lets players making money, unless they have permission from the creators.
    Anyone using other peoples content really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    649 Posts
    That is one thing more people should do.
    Not rely on ads making them money.

It is a huge risk to take.
    Makes me think of Kickstarter as an alternative
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    4,488 Posts
    I use ad block, does that count as lost revenue when I view a youtube video?

Edited:

I wish I could filter adblock for some of the channels I like, so I know they getting money.
    That'd be nice but nothing is stopping you from disabling it, viewing whatever, and enabling it again. Uncheck box. Watch. Check box.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,828 Posts
    that there is a lot of value in the 3-to-5 minute video
    Oh no maybe people'll have to make longer videos and have some kind of q-q-q-quality!!!

39. Post #39
    November 2011
    8,680 Posts

Who is watching those videos? Who is subscribing to these people?

40. Post #40
    June 2012
    5,095 Posts
    Who is watching those videos? Who is subscribing to these people?
    12 year olds.
    People who subscribed in the past but never unsubscribed.
    People who watched just one of their video, subscribed and never watched any of their videos again.
    People who like "lol funny randumb" videos
    12 year olds
    Etc etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)