1. Post #1
    I fought the bet and the bet won.
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    Over the past few years, the Canadian government has been lurching into antiscience territory. For example, they’ve been muzzling scientists, essentially censoring them from talking about their research. Scientists have fought back against this, though from what I hear with limited success.
    But a new development makes the situation appear to be far worse. In a stunning announcement, the National Research Council—the Canadian scientific research and development agency—has now said that they will only perform research that has “social or economic gain”.

This is not a joke. I wish it were.

John MacDougal, President of the NRC, literally said, “Scientific discovery is not valuable unless it has commercial value”. Gary Goodyear, the Canadian Minister of State for Science and Technology, also stated “There is [sic] only two reasons why we do science and technology. First is to create knowledge ... second is to use that knowledge for social and economic benefit. Unfortunately, all too often the knowledge gained is opportunity lost.”

I had to read the article two or three times to make sure I wasn’t missing something, because I was thinking that no one could possibly utter such colossally ignorant statements. But no, I was reading it correctly. These two men—leaders in the Canadian scientific research community—were saying, out loud and clearly, that the only science worth doing is what lines the pocket of business.

This is monumentally backwards thinking. That is not the reason we do science. Economic benefits are results of doing research, but should not be the reason we do it. Basic scientific research is a vast endeavor, and some of it will pay off economically, and some won’t. In almost every case, you cannot know in advance which will do which.

In the 19th century, for example, James Clerk Maxwell was just interested in understanding electricity and magnetism. He didn’t do it for monetary benefit, to support a business, or to maximize a profit. Yet his research led to the foundation of our entire economy today. Computers, the Internet, communication, satellites, everything you plug in or that uses a battery, stem from the work he did simply because of his own curiosity. I strongly suspect that if he were to apply to the NRC for funding under this new regime, he’d be turned down flat. The kind of work Maxwell did then is very difficult to do without support these days, and we need governments to provide that help.
    Source
    http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/07...viable-science
    Disgusting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb x 95Friendly x 7Funny x 5Agree x 2Starred x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,354 Posts
    rip canadian universities (I know not all research comes from national grants but still)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2013
    511 Posts
    this is dumb

that is all i can say
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 58Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    LOO POO'S BIG FAN !!!!!!!! LOVES SHITPOSTING ALMOST AS MUCH!!!!
    October 2009
    11,873 Posts
    what the flying fuck

Edited:

is slate even a news source

5. Post #5
    October 2012
    1,939 Posts
    What's slate?

6. Post #6
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    If you don't believe the first source, I'm not sure why people wouldn't however.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    8,825 Posts
    What's slate?
    From what I can tell, it's all editorials and opinion pieces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,276 Posts
    How the fuck does someone like him become the president of the NRC.

Another source

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,453 Posts
    Holy shit, how did that asshole become president of the NRC? Appointed by Canadian Republicans or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

10. Post #10
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    From what I can tell, it's all editorials and opinion pieces.
    Ohoho but they clearly well cited their sources, you would have known that had of checked their citations before asking. None the less, its posted and they're telling the truth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2009
    11,873 Posts
    Ohoho but they clearly well cited their sources, you would have known that had of checked their citations before asking. None the less, its posted and they're telling the truth.
    i don't blame anyone for not initially believing this pants on head retarded news
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    i don't blame anyone for not initially believing this pants on head retarded news
    Got a point there, amazing and mind bogglingly pants on head retarded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2009
    612 Posts
    Not a big problem here. All the scientists have to do now is append "creates jobs for the economy" in at least three places in their applications.

Politicians have been doing it for ages.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 19Zing Zing x 1Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,997 Posts
    Well, one thing I recently found out: Queen's University (Kingston) is developing a computer that's literally paper thin and entirely disposable. A prototype does exist. And from the source, he can neither confirm nor deny the existence of a holographic projector.

15. Post #15
    March 2012
    859 Posts
    scientists just need to know how to market themselves better. make things up about potential uses. theyre conservative politicians, they wont understand your math talk. tell them your working on teleportation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    July 2008
    2,548 Posts
    I don't ever want to hear another Canadian say the US is backwards again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 34Dumb Dumb x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    October 2009
    11,873 Posts
    scientists just need to know how to market themselves better. make things up about potential uses. theyre conservative politicians, they wont understand your math talk. tell them your working on teleportation.
    that's not the point, science should never be inhibited by some dumbasses that just decided that hey fuck all science unless it helps me NOW

shit like this means the higgs boson would never have been found, neither would lasers that did not have an immediate use except for looking cool until like twenty years later and now we use it in fucking everything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,453 Posts
    State or federal funding is supposed to spur research in areas not commercial enough to have corporate funding coming in. Stuff like cures for cancer and diabetes that Big Pharma won't develop for themselves, because it's easier to monetize recurring treatments to manage chronic conditions instead of outright cures. Stuff like space exploration.

Corporate-funded for-profit research is great at treating baldness, shit at developing low-cost water purification for developing countries. Government has to pick up the slack where corporate interests don't think there is money to be made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,640 Posts
    Time to start selling gravity in a can so people won't float up into the sun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    March 2012
    383 Posts
    white people and their greed

Edited:

this isn't racist i'm white
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    Dennab
    August 2010
    7,138 Posts
    Capitalism.

"It's no good to anyone if you can't make money from it."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 16 (list)

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    January 2011
    6,891 Posts
    welp this bloody stupid

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    7,361 Posts
    Isn't this the reason why Tesla died a pauper in the US a hundred years ago?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #24
    June 2012
    248 Posts
    Why the hell do we have an idiot like this as president of the NRC?

I'm sure Harper must be absolutely giddy over this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    playdoh
    Dennab
    May 2008
    2,770 Posts
    Why the hell do we have an idiot like this as president of the NRC?

I'm sure Harper must be absolutely giddy over this.
    I've been playing too much fallout new vegas.

Anyways, that's stupid of canada, of course science has commerical value you dimwit, you wouldn't have cars and planes and bikes and microwaves and nukes or anything without science. Thing is, nearly no science goes out and says "Hey I think I'll go discover cars!" and then discovers cars. Not all discoveries will be commercially valuable, but the discoveries built on the non-commercially valuable studies might make hover cars economically viable. Who knows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    4,266 Posts
    Two years till election time... two long years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

27. Post #27
    GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
    September 2005
    1,546 Posts
    This is the most stupid thing I've ever heard. But then again, if Canada isn't in need of any scientists, I'm sure there are a lot of places in the world who would appreciate them and their work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    4,676 Posts
    John MacDougal, President of the NRC, literally said, “Scientific discovery is not valuable unless it has commercial value”.
    what the FUCK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,317 Posts
    With his level of intelligence, I am surprised he isn't communicating by making grunts and noises
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    5,353 Posts
    So where is that money going then, if not to 'worthless science projects'?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,066 Posts
    99% of the scientists who have ever existed in the history of mankind are either furious right now or rolling in their graves.

And as a budding young scientist (who is, I think, alive) I can say I'm certainly in the 'furious' category. I may not live in Canada, but holy shit, people like this asshole are why we can't have nice things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

32. Post #32
    ( • Y • )ԅ(≖‿≖ԅ)
    March 2005
    15,939 Posts
    This is going to stagnate Canadian research greatly if enforced. So much in science has or had no immediately obvious uses.
    Lasers, for example. Or atomic clocks, absolutely vital to the functioning of GPS satellites.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    625 Posts
    What the flying fuck.

34. Post #34
    January 2012
    1,532 Posts
    Canada makes the fucking Canadarm and now this?
    How do you go from this

To now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    October 2012
    9,396 Posts
    How do you go from this

To now?
    Conservatives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Kiss me, I'm Irish
    September 2006
    10,172 Posts
    I don't ever want to hear another Canadian say the US is backwards again.
    The US is backwards.

Canada has some backwards dumbfucks too though   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    10,997 Posts
    How do you go from this

[Canadarm]

To now?
    I blame Stephen Harper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,597 Posts
    Honest question here, but is it necessary for Canada to do scientific research of all kinds if there are other places in the world that do it better? Limiting our research to strictly social or economic benefits can't be that bad, can it? Especially when our neighbours to the south can pick up our slack.

Edited:

Maybe that research funding can be better spent elsewhere?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,193 Posts
    I do not like our government

40. Post #40
    Dennab
    July 2007
    43,766 Posts
    harper stop putting your cats in charge and get back to work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)