1. Post #7441
    Happy goldfish bowl to you, to me, to everyone, and may each of you fry in hell forever.
    Dennab
    November 2012
    1,983 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24 (list)

2. Post #7442
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,790 Posts
    The only thing I have against it is that the whole "Institute Android" shit was lore shattering. There is no technology in the Fallout world small enough and complex enough to build a fully replicated synthetic person. It goes against everything established. They don't even have fucking micortransistors. That, and it would have set up some very obvious black and white morality shit.

There aren't nearly as memorable locations in Boston compared to other places, in my opinion. I mean, landmarks and shit don't make a good Fallout game but it is nice to see something recognizable, and people outside of New England will have no idea what any of it is.

I don't want the Institute, but I don't want the West Coast either. I have seen enough of the NCR/Brotherhood shenanigans (3 full games of it out of 5 canon games in the series) for a lifetime. Other than the Institute, though, Boston would make a good choice. Not too big of a city, something more akin to DC, with lots of surrounding countryside too.

However, I want to see a really big city. Old, towering, burnt-out skyscrapers, ruins high enough to see miles of wasteland. Exploring the tallest buildings, fighting urban warfare, that is the kind of Fallout game I want to see.
    Regarding the West Coast, I can agree with you there. If they set another game there, they'd either have to set it way further along in the timeline or set it up in the PNW where we haven't yet seen.

As for the Institute, I thought they remained intact and "sealed away" for the duration of the interceding 200 years. If it was supposed to be a collection of brilliant minds, then I could see them working something out. I mean, if they were able to do the kind of shit that they did at Big MT, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Institute could do something similar.

Regarding landmarks though, what's the problem with that? DC had its landmarks, but half of them were decrepit or destroyed outright. The White House was a damn crater, even. Outside of DC there wasn't much in the way of instantly recognizable landmarks aside from perhaps the Beltway (ooo, a highway) and the remnants of some real-world suburbs. And Raven Rock, I guess.

I do agree about the really big city part, but the thing is, most cities are probably rubble, if DC and outer Vegas are anything to go by. They could conceivably make an excuse though, I suppose, like "oh well they updated the building codes in [this city] to be nuke-resistant, which is why so much survived" and go on and have a mostly-intact city, but then people would probably call bullshit and we'd get more complaints of "they did a stupid thing for the sake of having a cool game" because you can't please anyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #7443
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,327 Posts
    you know how fast that woulda given it away though?
    if he had attatched it to the site like yesterday, just from one day alone he probably would have gotten it back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #7444
    fucking incredible
    September 2008
    1,596 Posts
    Regarding the West Coast, I can agree with you there. If they set another game there, they'd either have to set it way further along in the timeline or set it up in the PNW where we haven't yet seen.

As for the Institute, I thought they remained intact and "sealed away" for the duration of the interceding 200 years. If it was supposed to be a collection of brilliant minds, then I could see them working something out. I mean, if they were able to do the kind of shit that they did at Big MT, then I wouldn't be surprised if the Institute could do something similar.

Regarding landmarks though, what's the problem with that? DC had its landmarks, but half of them were decrepit or destroyed outright. The White House was a damn crater, even. Outside of DC there wasn't much in the way of instantly recognizable landmarks aside from perhaps the Beltway (ooo, a highway) and the remnants of some real-world suburbs. And Raven Rock, I guess.

I do agree about the really big city part, but the thing is, most cities are probably rubble, if DC and outer Vegas are anything to go by. They could conceivably make an excuse though, I suppose, like "oh well they updated the building codes in [this city] to be nuke-resistant, which is why so much survived" and go on and have a mostly-intact city, but then people would probably call bullshit and we'd get more complaints of "they did a stupid thing for the sake of having a cool game" because you can't please anyone.
    A possible alternate idea is a city that had a rather high number of Vaults surrounding it, all of which opened a few decades before the events of FO 2 or 3. This could give the Vault dwellers ample time to set up a society within the city and rebuild. Just an idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #7445
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,327 Posts

ya but if there is anything new vegas is to go by, with enough resources, one man was able to save a city, there was more than one person with robert house's resources from what we've seen there were dozens of companies with enough resources to dwarf house's empire. new vegas proper may have been a lower priority target than say DC, but they still had hundreds of nukes chucked at them.

i would say its very likely that there was more than a few people who had the same idea as house, to fight the bombardment instead of dig in and survive it. maybe some of them were more successful than house maybe they were as xenophobic as the boomers, and have just boxed themselves into their little corner of the old world

or maybe like the big MT some of these companies had even more resources than house and were able to physically shield themselves from the blast or divert the blast to around their city/base, so to the average traveler, it would look like a nuclear wasteland heavily irradiated, yet in the heart of it lies a gleaming metropolis

6. Post #7446
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,547 Posts
    I think Androids in the Fallout universe are probably something that was invented post war in the Institute, I mean clearly a community stuck for 200 years could have possibly invented the transistor and decided to throw the vacuum tube technology shit in the trash since it was old tech in their book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

7. Post #7447
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,327 Posts
    speaking of the big MT, ive had a question that has been bugging me, was the mountain covering the entire facility then they destroyed it by accident, or was it covering only part of the facility, also if the mountain wasn't the shield against the nuke strikes, how did the big MT survive the war or was it just not targeted at all? or did they use some sort of shield generated by the dome, i mean its in a perfect crator so i always assumed the place was hit by the biggest bomb the chinese could find and the place is radioactive, but theres just very little damage all things considered

8. Post #7448
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    Dennab
    October 2008
    18,524 Posts
    My reaction when I first heard that dude in FO3 was more along the lines of "Father Grigori what the fuck are you doing in DC"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

9. Post #7449
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

10. Post #7450
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,287 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #7451
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,693 Posts
    Judging just from the screenshots I'd say the 2nd. The first one does not even look complete.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #7452
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,287 Posts
    fucking fellout isnt working megaton is fullbright at night then breaks the wasteland.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

13. Post #7453
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,790 Posts
    I think Androids in the Fallout universe are probably something that was invented post war in the Institute, I mean clearly a community stuck for 200 years could have possibly invented the transistor and decided to throw the vacuum tube technology shit in the trash since it was old tech in their book.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying. With 200 years and a community of scientists, I wouldn't put the achievement of transistors past them.

Edited:

or maybe like the big MT some of these companies had even more resources than house and were able to physically shield themselves from the blast or divert the blast to around their city/base, so to the average traveler, it would look like a nuclear wasteland heavily irradiated, yet in the heart of it lies a gleaming metropolis
    Something like the Emerald City in the wasteland? Sounds cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #7454
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,790 Posts
    Yeah, that's exactly what I was saying. With 200 years and a community of scientists, I wouldn't put the achievement of transistors past them.
    EVen more plausible when you consider that the first experimentally practical transistors started popping up in the early 50s as well. They most likely did exist in research labs in the Fallout universe, I see no reason why such a research lab sealed away and intact for 2 centuries couldn't make them properly miniaturized.

Also, there's the pip-boys. Sure the 2000 had a couple vac tubes, but there's also no way in hell it was purely vacuum tube powered. There's got to be a few transistors in there, it's simply too powerful for its size to not have them, and I wouldn't be surprised if Vault-Tec had access to experimental electronic components to build the things. They certainly had access to a lot of other highly experimental tech. Furthermore, the 3000A doesn't seem to have a single vacuum tube in it from what I can see ingame unless you count the stupidly low profile CRT display a vacuum tube.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #7455
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,970 Posts
    Whelp, looks like I'm starting a new character. Pretty much stuck early on in Dead Money and no saves outside. Can't say I like Dead Money either. Tons upon tons of annoyances and general bullshit.

Edited:

New girl started. 5559933, tag skills barter, speech and energy weapons. Probably end being the biggest bitch in the wastes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #7456
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    37,064 Posts
    Have an attempted 1-Handed Speed run of Fallout 2

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #7457
    Dennab
    October 2010
    15,211 Posts
    Damn, I was surprised by the ending.. that it really ended and I couldn't roam the "new" world. I want Fallout4 now.

Or maybe I should do a new character, or play my current one a little bit more before the war.. aa I don't know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #7458
    August 2013
    1,769 Posts
    Whelp, looks like I'm starting a new character. Pretty much stuck early on in Dead Money and no saves outside. Can't say I like Dead Money either. Tons upon tons of annoyances and general bullshit.

Edited:

New girl started. 5559933, tag skills barter, speech and energy weapons. Probably end being the biggest bitch in the wastes.
    what in the fuck
    i just started a character 2 days ago with the exact same tag skills

19. Post #7459
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    20,567 Posts
    anyone have experience with using texture mods with TTW? I forgot how shit FO3 looked and I want to make it better, but if it'll screw up how the Mojave looks (I'd prefer to use texture mods there too) I might not use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

20. Post #7460
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    11,213 Posts
    Nexus never seems to want to work when ever I want to install mods for New Vegas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

21. Post #7461
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,972 Posts
    im a ct resident and this means nothing to me

an aquarium would be cool in a fallout game tho. an abandoned aquarium would be super creepy.

Edited:

house is analogous to gman
    I am a fellow lifelong CT resident and I can confirm all of those have no meaning to me. Now, OSV on the other hand...

22. Post #7462
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,327 Posts
    Also, there's the pip-boys. Sure the 2000 had a couple vac tubes, but there's also no way in hell it was purely vacuum tube powered. There's got to be a few transistors in there, it's simply too powerful for its size to not have them, and I wouldn't be surprised if Vault-Tec had access to experimental electronic components to build the things. They certainly had access to a lot of other highly experimental tech. Furthermore, the 3000A doesn't seem to have a single vacuum tube in it from what I can see ingame unless you count the stupidly low profile CRT display a vacuum tube.
    i always kinda assumed the "no transistors" thing was kinda a bit of 90s logic thrown in, from the devices we've seen its fairly clear they had access to some form of advanced processor, its kinda evident that computers in fallout did not follow moore's law and integrated circuts existed by microprocessors never were invented because the military didn't see the point, and the firms didn't see the point so they didn't work on them. similar logic can be seen in the development of aircraft. it would appear that the airforces of fallout's time invented jets but they were just "good enough" same with bombers, the military instead of building better bigger planes, just built some and kept them

fallout's world developed differently from ours in the key area of efficiency. i mean the world of fallout seemed to invest in finding more energy and harnessing more energy instead of figuring out how to better use the energy you have. this could really explain why devices like the pip-boy or the terminals were only the very cutting edge because by the time they were created, the world was very much out of new energy so companies needed to develop efficiency for the first time which lead to miniturization and the microprocessor, which leapfrogged moore's law because they had already developed integrated circuts for over 100 years, they just finally got around to putting their optimized circuits on smaller and smaller chips. also the development of power armor probably helped facilitate this because they suddenly saw a need for miniaturized computers to control the servos and complex power systems
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #7463
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,839 Posts
    I've always focused mainly on Guns, Medicine and Speech, I want to go try something new to freshen up my New Vegas experience a bit. What kind of character should I play this time?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

24. Post #7464
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,327 Posts
    I've always focused mainly on Guns, Medicine and Speech, I want to go try something new to freshen up my New Vegas experience a bit. What kind of character should I play this time?
    try going for melee, barter, and science
    its been an interesting combo for me

25. Post #7465
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    11,213 Posts
    I want to do a stupid brawler character, 1 intelligence, 10 strength, and I will use nothing but unarmed and melee.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #7466
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    503 Posts
    I want to do a stupid brawler character, 1 intelligence, 10 strength, and I will use nothing but unarmed and melee.
    You will also crush heads in the name of Pizza.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

27. Post #7467
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,182 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Arab Emirates Show Events Funny Funny x 10Winner Winner x 3 (list)

28. Post #7468
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    14,786 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 3 (list)

29. Post #7469
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    14,916 Posts
    I'm currently working on an expanded Enclave Radio based radio station.

I've got a list of a couple more Sousa marches (For those interested, Solid Men to the Front!, The Aviators March, The Federal, Presidential Polonaise, Comrades of the Legion, Congress Hall March, Yorktown Centennial March, America First, George Washington Bicentennial March, and the U.S. Field Artillery March. Maybe that was a bit more than a couple. I'm browsing through a near complete collection of his works, though, so I might add more) as well as a couple of old Civil War songs from a few modern brass bands, such as the Americus Brass Band's recording of Dixie's Land (you'd know the theme, but probably not by name).

I've also got a different, slower but more prominent sounding version of Hail, Columbia.

Sooner or later once I decide the list complete or large enough I'll go about implementing it. The recordings are much higher quality (you can find all of the above ones I have listed on Spotify, if you have it) than what's currently in place, which is why I'm hesitant to mix it in with what's currently in place.

30. Post #7470
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,327 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #7471
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    14,916 Posts
    Oh shit. I guess it's a part of FWE's many additions, but I got so irradiated I kept taking 1rad/second weven when I was in a non-irradiated area (megaton :V)

32. Post #7472
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    6,754 Posts

Storming through the South Vegas Ruins and Vault 3 with this playing in the background feels so badass. I think Johnny Cash fits New Vegas really well in general.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

33. Post #7473
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    11,122 Posts

Storming through the South Vegas Ruins and Vault 3 with this playing in the background feels so badass. I think Johnny Cash fits New Vegas really well in general.
    I swear though, if anyone in real life tells me they have spurs that jingle jangle, I swear to god I'll punch them in the face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

34. Post #7474
    Gold Member

December 2011
    2,028 Posts
    Are there any mods that makes fo3 more turn based? I mean like Automatic entering vats when you see an enemy, or something like that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

35. Post #7475
    March 2009
    370 Posts
    Could anyone link or upload MoMod 10a for FNV please, would be great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #7476
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    22,327 Posts
    no but you can always tweek your AP point amount to be actually enough to deal with 3-4 people at once

37. Post #7477
    SJW 4 lyfe
    December 2009
    7,598 Posts
    Could anyone link or upload MoMod 10a for FNV please, would be great.
    http://modsreloaded.com/monster-mod

I know nothing about the site so it's your risk, I guess. Probably fine though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

38. Post #7478
    January 2011
    454 Posts
    I'm still fucking laughing at that choose your own adventure mod
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 15Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #7479
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,970 Posts
    I swear though, if anyone in real life tells me they have spurs that jingle jangle, I swear to god I'll punch them in the face.
    I was in a game store a town over a few months after NV's release, checking the used games when I suddenly heard the guy next to me humming 'Ain't that a kick in the head'. His face when I followed up 'How lucky can one guy be? I kissed her and she kissed me' with 'Like the fella once said, ain't that a kick in the head?' was beyond priceless and the clerk had the biggest smile on his face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #7480
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,764 Posts
    oh hey now I know why Tale of two wastelands never worked before, I didn't have GRA.

let's try this again now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events