corrupts our youth 15% more efficiently than normal anime
    Good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

2. Post #51802
    Guru mediation error
    Dennab
    July 2012
    10,544 Posts
    In other news, Jolla just outsold all WindowsPhone models in 5 minutes.

Edited:

Huh, they pulled the article. Anyway, they sold 10k handsets in 5 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #51803
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,968 Posts
    I seem to be able to watch 10-bit on my geforce 210 the last time I tried...

4. Post #51804
    Turbo Dyke
    Dennab
    June 2010
    19,687 Posts
    yeah, but your phone probably can't do that without dropping frames. Hi10p is providing very minimal benefits that are heavily outweighed by the downsides of much less hardware support
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #51805
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    7,726 Posts
    why are you expecting to be unable to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #51806
    .. Is it me or is Chrome's font rendering different?

Or is my eyesight finally going bad...

Edit: No it's definitely different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #51807
    Guru mediation error
    Dennab
    July 2012
    10,544 Posts
    .. Is it me or is Chrome's font rendering different?

Or is my eyesight finally going bad...

Edit: No it's definitely different.
    You might have gotten the update to use TrueType instead of the in-built garbage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #51808
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,865 Posts
    41.7 gigs of data so far this month and Verizon has only throttled me once down to 20mbps. I am happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

9. Post #51809
    You might have gotten the update to use TrueType instead of the in-built garbage.
    Oh. Yeah, probably. It does look a lot better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #51810
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    Dennab
    May 2010
    6,170 Posts
    What the shit, SweetTunes1 got into fucking Chrome. It's like a fly that refuses to get out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #51811
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,653 Posts
    what's the point of 10 bit anime anyways?
    In theory it can reduce banding but the real issue is that people who do encodes in the anime community are actually really terrible and don't know what they're doing. I've seen 1920x1080 files encoded at CRF 13, that's just insane and way out of H.264 spec. There are lots of Hi10P anime files that have banding and it's a combination of bad encoders and bad sources to begin with.

The reason the ITU specified 8bit per channel for sRGB / Rec. 709 content is because if you go from zero saturation all the way out to 100% saturation of a primary color with 256 steps you shouldn't see any banding in that gradient. Even the highest end monitors for working with sRGB content are only 8bit, maybe 8bit + AFRC just in case. But the only time you really see native 10bit color depth is for working with AdobeRGB.

With something encoded to 10bit high profile H.264 you have better prediction and the encoder's internal precision is better which leads to less rounding errors. In theory this more than offsets the increased size by storing color info in a 10bit per channel format and you get a reduced file size. In practice, nobody does this and they just boost the quality even more to use that space they "saved" even though at the CRF levels they encode at you basically can't see any difference anyway. People who encode anime with ffmpeg claiming they know better than display scientists at the ITU shows a lot of hubris.

It can also reduce color banding by again, reducing rounding errors in the color information by storing it in higher precision 10bit per channel pixels. I have 10bit encodes that have banding and I'm currently doing my own encode of Cardcaptor Sakura in normal H.264 with 8bit precision and 4:2:0 chroma and I'm yet to see any banding 20 episodes in. The gamut seriously isn't big enough for banding issues to show up even when encoding or re-encoding to 8bit. The scenario I think 10bit would be better applicable to is retaining smooth gradients with lower bitrate content, but since many anime encoders produce bloated files with massive bitrates it doesn't really matter.

What should be taken note of is that most links on wiki pages for Hi10P in the anime community go to dead links, and every single one that isn't dead goes to x264 / doom9 forums which means they're all basically the same citation of a forum. By the time you set up your MPC-HC with stuff like madVR and de-interlacing filters that doom9 recommends you'll need a GTX 660 just to decode the video without dropping frames, and I think you'd be hard pressed to notice the improvement in things like chroma upscaling. Something else to be noted is that nobody has ever complained about banding in movie encodes or on the video transmitted to their TV and we've been using the same color gamut and bit depth that we do today since 1982, it's only anime. This suggests it's either bad people doing the encodes, bad sources, or both, and not a technological issue.

Edited:

It's probably decoding on the CPU.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #51812
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    5,762 Posts
    In theory it can reduce banding but the real issue is that people who do encodes in the anime community are actually really terrible and don't know what they're doing. I've seen 1920x1080 files encoded at CRF 13, that's just insane and way out of H.264 spec. There are lots of Hi10P anime files that have banding and it's a combination of bad encoders and bad sources to begin with.

The reason the ITU specified 8bit per channel for sRGB / Rec. 709 content is because if you go from zero saturation all the way out to 100% saturation of a primary color with 256 steps you shouldn't see any banding in that gradient. Even the highest end monitors for working with sRGB content are only 8bit, maybe 8bit + AFRC just in case. But the only time you really see native 10bit color depth is for working with AdobeRGB.

With something encoded to 10bit high profile H.264 you have better prediction and the encoder's internal precision is better which leads to less rounding errors. In theory this more than offsets the increased size by storing color info in a 10bit per channel format and you get a reduced file size. In practice, nobody does this and they just boost the quality even more to use that space they "saved" even though at the CRF levels they encode at you basically can't see any difference anyway. People who encode anime with ffmpeg claiming they know better than display scientists at the ITU shows a lot of hubris.

It can also reduce color banding by again, reducing rounding errors in the color information by storing it in higher precision 10bit per channel pixels. I have 10bit encodes that have banding and I'm currently doing my own encode of Cardcaptor Sakura in normal H.264 with 8bit precision and 4:2:0 chroma and I'm yet to see any banding 20 episodes in. The gamut seriously isn't big enough for banding issues to show up even when encoding or re-encoding to 8bit. The scenario I think 10bit would be better applicable to is retaining smooth gradients with lower bitrate content, but since many anime encoders produce bloated files with massive bitrates it doesn't really matter.

What should be taken note of is that most links on wiki pages for Hi10P in the anime community go to dead links, and every single one that isn't dead goes to x264 / doom9 forums which means they're all basically the same citation of a forum. By the time you set up your MPC-HC with stuff like madVR and de-interlacing filters that doom9 recommends you'll need a GTX 660 just to decode the video without dropping frames, and I think you'd be hard pressed to notice the improvement in things like chroma upscaling. Something else to be noted is that nobody has ever complained about banding in movie encodes or on the video transmitted to their TV and we've been using the same color gamut and bit depth that we do today since 1982, it's only anime. This suggests it's either bad people doing the encodes, bad sources, or both, and not a technological issue.

Edited:

all this nerd shit is great but anime is best watched at 240p on youtube with spanish subtitles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

13. Post #51813
    PLUNGER BUTT
    November 2010
    3,411 Posts
    well... the csgo mini-scoreboard is burnt into my monitor.... i only have 84 hours too so thats really weird..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #51814
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    8,475 Posts
    I watch my chinese cartoons in any video quality I find.

I'm used to 240p youtube videos, so I couldn't care less.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Switzerland Show Events

15. Post #51815
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,189 Posts
    People who encode anime with ffmpeg claiming they know better than display scientists at the ITU shows a lot of hubris.
    Kinda reminds me of people whose Gentoo CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/CPPFLAGS are longer than that post of yours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #51816
    kill yourself
    May 2008
    4,562 Posts
    Might finally pick it up then, been waiting for that.
    To bad i cant use it, before it used to work with battlelog now it doesn't
    even though BF4 is x64 what joke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events

17. Post #51817
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,679 Posts
    Fuck battlelog

Edited:

battle log-of-shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #51818
    known terrorist
    April 2011
    8,749 Posts
    He's probably on brain 7. Ive I've heard brain 8 fixes a lot of these power states.
    brain 8.1 master race
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #51819
    brain 8.1 master race
    OpenBRAIN 5.5 here, represent. Most secure brain OS - only two holes in a default install in the past three decades! And it's even more open than gnuBRAIN or linBrain.

20. Post #51820
    Zoe Quinn did nobody wrong.
    Dennab
    December 2007
    5,905 Posts
    From the Elder Scrolls thread.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

21. Post #51821
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,865 Posts
    From the Elder Scrolls thread.

Eh, I prefer dual tower swords.

22. Post #51822
    Gold Member
    May 2013
    2,167 Posts
    what the fuck does this even mean

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

23. Post #51823
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,871 Posts
    what the fuck does this even mean

This program is not supposed to work by design.

24. Post #51824
    Gold Member
    May 2013
    2,167 Posts
    You should add me on steam and help me figure this shit out

Edited:

because WinHiip fails like almost every time

25. Post #51825
    yeah anything above 2000 is decent for 30 fps streams

3500 60 fps though is another feet.
    Ehh, it's subjective. I always put my regular full streams on my YT channel as an archive for people to watch. And going from 2mbps main/3.1 to 1.5-2mbps main/3.1 is not fun, so I just try to get as high as I can with most of my viewers able to receive it. It did look really clear so I might drop it from 2250 to 2000.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #51826
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    9,274 Posts
    You should add me on steam and help me figure this shit out

Edited:

because WinHiip fails like almost every time
    Sometimes HDLdumb breaks the file system of the HDD in the PS2 and you have to sort it out in winhiip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

27. Post #51827
    Gold Member
    May 2013
    2,167 Posts
    Sometimes HDLdumb breaks the file system of the HDD in the PS2 and you have to sort it out in winhiip.
    Yeah, I think this enclosure is a bit buggy when mixed with this drive, so on W7 it literally won't write anything to the drive (WinHiip) but under a VM, it's super flaky with a 50% failure rate. Using hdl_dumb works better (~80%) but I just tried an older version of WinHiip (1.7.2 instead of 1.7.6) and it seems to have written all of them without issue so far. I thought it was because the drive gets super fucking hot, but I think it'll be ok and it's more of a software issue. The drive seems to be working ok.

28. Post #51828
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,968 Posts

yeah that makes more sense with an i5

29. Post #51829
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,865 Posts
    And just to reiterate this, screw all (well a portion) of you. Got exams next week, but I've been sitting here all day watching CB.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

30. Post #51830
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,968 Posts
    why are you expecting to be unable to
    because

basically it's meant to make files smaller at the same quality as 8-bit. but in turn, hardware support is minimal for 10bit. no consumer grade GPU supports 10 bit video decoding, so it's both harder to decode and often even bigger than the 8bit counterparts because the encoders don't realise what it's actually meant to do

31. Post #51831
    Something loli Please no dont post pussy toxxes, go hard or go home gays promise ahahahahaahah dick tape balls trump
    September 2011
    26,362 Posts
    41.7 gigs of data so far this month and Verizon has only throttled me once down to 20mbps. I am happy.
    20mbps? alright i can still pull 1TB out of that thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events

32. Post #51832
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,865 Posts
    20mbps? alright i can still pull 1TB out of that thing.
    Was only overnight. Back up to 60+ down/45 up by morning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #51833
    I'm going to be finishing what I needed to in Metro LL tonight. We got like 90minutes left until the church and then I will restart my normal LP from there.

Twitch.tv/sircrest If anyone is interested.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

34. Post #51834
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,968 Posts
    So far on Rogers, they haven't throttle me at all, at least it doesn't seem like it at all.

35. Post #51835
    Gold Member
    September 2013
    18,865 Posts
    So far on Rogers, they haven't throttle me at all, at least it doesn't seem like it at all.
    It's been a while since I last checked, but I believe Verizon's works something like after 2.5 gigs you get throttled based on traffic for your tower. Essentially less priority.

36. Post #51836
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,968 Posts
    It's been a while since I last checked, but I believe Verizon's works something like after 2.5 gigs you get throttled based on traffic for your tower. Essentially less priority.
    Rogers seems to not care which is good. I've probably used 100GB by now from my local tower at my home.

37. Post #51837
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,307 Posts
    I don't see why Rogers would want to throttle you. The only time that you're unlimited is when you're on that trial. They wouldn't want to slow down the opportunity to charge you $10-15 a GB on their plans.

38. Post #51838
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    4,102 Posts

Where's the cake at?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

39. Post #51839
    Something loli Please no dont post pussy toxxes, go hard or go home gays promise ahahahahaahah dick tape balls trump
    September 2011
    26,362 Posts

Where's the cake at?

also happy birthday
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #51840
    SK17a
    October 2010
    20,968 Posts
    I don't see why Rogers would want to throttle you. The only time that you're unlimited is when you're on that trial. They wouldn't want to slow down the opportunity to charge you $10-15 a GB on their plans.
    yeah, it wouldn't make sense for them to throttle or make the "trial" shit in any way.

That and I'm legitimately using several GB of data just for speedtest at several places at different times.