1. Post #681
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,270 Posts
    I am pretty sure those are still made by TNW. But I could be wrong.

As long as you get a higher serial number gun (they upgraded them as things went along in production to fix common problems) You should be OK. I think I just got "lucky" and got a refurb or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

2. Post #682
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    8,813 Posts
    The Suomi's I'm looking at aren't surplus, but just repros, which I'm not sure if they're built off surplus parts or not. This is what I'm debating on atm, but thanks for the heads up, I'll avoid surplus stuff then.
    That's the one he's talking about, the modern repros from TNW. The first few batches of repros had a ton of issues, I've even heard of receivers cracking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

3. Post #683
    I am pretty sure those are still made by TNW. But I could be wrong.

As long as you get a higher serial number gun (they upgraded them as things went along in production to fix common problems) You should be OK. I think I just got "lucky" and got a refurb or something.
    ah I see, I'll have to buy one in person rather than online. Thanks for the heads-up. Any idea on how high a serial I should look for to avoid issues with them? Also, how was the stock on the rifle? Was it like the classic finnish mosin stocks with those burnt-looking knots in it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

4. Post #684
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,270 Posts
    Anything you purchase now should be good. But for some reason mine was not.

I bought mine in person. Inspected it and everything looked good. Problems only came out when I pulled the trigger.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

5. Post #685
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #686
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,977 Posts
    Turns out I gotta make the high-ride belt loop for my Safariland 6004 holster myself, buying it was wayy to expensive here in Norway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

7. Post #687
    May 2011
    1,039 Posts
    Turns out I gotta make the high-ride belt loop for my Safariland 6004 holster myself, buying it was wayy to expensive here in Norway.
    I have one you can have, if you pay shipping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

8. Post #688
    I LET MY M1 DO THE TALKING
    April 2012
    2,314 Posts
    Lol my uncle sold my dad a Tapco SKS stock and a bunch of 20 round mags, and then he pulled me and my dad aside (this was during a party) and says "here is this little spring, it makes the gun full auto" and hands my dad a little spring that looks like it was from a pen, only beefier obviously. He's like "lol k" and I'm thinking what the fuck? Same uncle who says he has a ".50 caliber drag-nov" in Arizona and a "full auto AK-47" he traded a motorcycle for. OK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

9. Post #689
    April 2013
    67 Posts
    So it's what, a spring for the firing pin to make it slamfire all the time? It's completely plausible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

10. Post #690
    You can make an SKS full auto, theres even a book on Amazon you can buy that will teach you how to do it. It's just if you do it, it's 10 years in a federal prison and I can tell you a full auto rifle isn't worth that much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

11. Post #691
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,748 Posts
    Wow, sounds like he tried to make a akins accelerator/bumpfire stock...

Technically, a spring is classified as a machinegun by the ATF because of the Akins Accelerator.
    So, technically, if you were to DIY your own bumpfire stock out of a tapco M4 style telescoping stock; putting a spring in it to cause it to reciprocate without you having to pull foreward would make it a "machinegun" per the ATF...

Lol my uncle sold my dad a Tapco SKS stock and a bunch of 20 round mags, and then he pulled me and my dad aside (this was during a party) and says "here is this little spring, it makes the gun full auto" and hands my dad a little spring that looks like it was from a pen, only beefier obviously. He's like "lol k" and I'm thinking what the fuck? Same uncle who says he has a ".50 caliber drag-nov" in Arizona and a "full auto AK-47" he traded a motorcycle for. OK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

12. Post #692
    Funfact, a shoestring with a loop on each end is also considered to be a machine gun under the ATF's definition
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Late Late x 1 (list)

13. Post #693
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BAKELITE FETISH
    Dennab
    April 2011
    4,671 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

14. Post #694
    YEAH, AND?
    December 2010
    9,615 Posts
    Funfact, a shoestring with a loop on each end is also considered to be a machine gun under the ATF's definition
    That decision was repealed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #695
    "Upon further review, we have determined that the string itself is not a machinegun.."
    What would we do without the ATF
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

16. Post #696
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    11,229 Posts
    "Upon further review, we have determined that the string itself is not a machinegun.."
    have fun

Edited:

i need a shirt that says in massive bold letters: "DRINK, SMOKE, SHOOT"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #697
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,626 Posts
    Brb tying a string to my M1 then taking it off, then putting it back on, then taking it off again, then putting it back on again.

Be like "Ooop! Oh... Ooop! Oh..."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

18. Post #698
    YEAH, AND?
    December 2010
    9,615 Posts
    You'd think they'd be concerned about the millions of illegal machineguns on the streets all over the US for those 3 years
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

19. Post #699
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,626 Posts
    In other news, hand cranked Gatling guns are still legal.

I wanna make one with a better gear ratio so it can make 1,200 rpm.

20. Post #700
    May 2011
    1,039 Posts
    So, I heard from the gun shop that fucked up my 1911. They are supposed to be getting it back from Colt this week. Just so happens that yesterday was the two month mark since they sent if off.

21. Post #701
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,864 Posts
    Unintended humour is the best humour. I really laughed hard at that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #702
    You'd think they'd be concerned about the millions of illegal machineguns on the streets all over the US for those 3 years
    I demand to know why the ATF didn't form an Shoe-string task force when there was a machinegun epidemic between the years of 2004 and 2007.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #703
    YEAH, AND?
    December 2010
    9,615 Posts
    I wholeheartedly agree! I can't believe they wasted my tax dollars sitting on their asses while there were millions of illegal machineguns on the streets!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #704

December 2008
    638 Posts
    Is it better to pick up a completed upper for an AR or buy things separately?
    It seems cheaper to buy a packaged deal or am I not looking hard enough?

25. Post #705
    May 2011
    1,039 Posts
    Is it better to pick up a completed upper for an AR or buy things separately?
    It seems cheaper to buy a packaged deal or am I not looking hard enough?
    In general, it used to be that buying the parts yourself was cheaper. However, because of the current firearms market, nine times out of ten, buying the completed upper will be cheaper. Some internal parts are almost impossible to get right now, and people are not buying completed uppers just to strip parts for a project.

26. Post #706
    So yesterday I converted a 24 inch long 1/2 inch wide galvanized hardened steel pipe into a musket by drilling a hole at one end and capping it.

I rammed about 400 grains of black powder down the muzzle of the 'barrel' and some wadding along with about 9 bolts that weighed about 5 grams each.

Aimed it at 3 cinder blocks and fired it, I'm surprised it didn't explode or even deform. The cinder blocks however, did.

Most fun I've had in a while after I shot it a few more times using 100gr of bp instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #707
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    11,220 Posts
    So yesterday I converted a 24 inch long 1/2 inch wide galvanized hardened steel pipe into a musket by drilling a hole at one end and capping it.

I rammed about 400 grains of black powder down the muzzle of the 'barrel' and some wadding along with about 9 bolts that weighed about 5 grams each.

Aimed it at 3 cinder blocks and fired it, I'm surprised it didn't explode or even deform. The cinder blocks however, did.

Most fun I've had in a while after I shot it a few more times using 100gr of bp instead.
    It's very worrying you didn't bother to test it first
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

28. Post #708
    It's very worrying you didn't bother to test it first
    I did, each shot I took I used a sparkler as a fuse and hid behind a concrete wall 40 feet away.

When I get a decent camera I'm going to upload a few shots of me shooting random things at random things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #709
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,626 Posts
    You don't know how lucky you are to be alive right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #710

Theres a fine line between a musket and a pipe bomb, you should really be more careful next time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

31. Post #711
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,864 Posts
    Theres a fine line between a musket and a pipe bomb, you should really be more careful next time.
    He detonated it remotely and hid behind a concrete wall, he was careful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #712
    I Fuckin' Love Ponies
    January 2007
    4,926 Posts
    A sparkler isn't that remote.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #713
    using a high powder load in a steel pipe, then topping it off with wadding and loose steel bolts is hardly being careful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #714
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,977 Posts
    I have one you can have, if you pay shipping.
    Sounds great, PM'ed you!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events

35. Post #715
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    1,598 Posts
    awesome! not a fan of those pistol grips though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

36. Post #716
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    8,813 Posts
    I did, each shot I took I used a sparkler as a fuse and hid behind a concrete wall 40 feet away.

When I get a decent camera I'm going to upload a few shots of me shooting random things at random things.
    Can I come? This sounds fun as shit, and is actually totally legal too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

37. Post #717
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,924 Posts
    So apparently, my local FFL has upped the transfer fee on "Assault Weapons". :/

Looks like we're taking our business elsewhere.

Edited:

Isn't it just wonderful how Sterling Nixon told us all how to make our semi-automatics into machine guns? I love the internet. C:

38. Post #718
    Dennab
    April 2011
    4,671 Posts

decoupaged my lower handguard

we balkan warriors now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #719
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,931 Posts
    Paid off my Glock, but nobody nearby has any .45 ACP so I couldn't get any range time :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

40. Post #720
    Dennab
    April 2011
    4,671 Posts
    i decoupaged the stock on my AK

upper handguard (gas tube cover) has this on it

i'm the flyest cat in the hood now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)