1. Post #18521
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,316 Posts
    This ship makes me almost want to make an Avian character just to use it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #18522
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    8,821 Posts
    Am I the only person who fails to see the point in having a large ship? I really can't be fucked trecking from one side of the ship to the other to do shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #18523
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,489 Posts
    Am I the only person who fails to see the point in having a large ship? I really can't be fucked trecking from one side of the ship to the other to do shit.
    Big ships are nice, but for me it's important that they're designed to be quick to get around in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

4. Post #18524
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,212 Posts
    The point is that you can have the interior look nice without sacrificing functionality.

I hate cluttered rooms with unfitting crafting tools that have to be there because there's no room for them anywhere else.

But I guess if you like your ship filled with cabinets and crafting stations... There's no point, no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #18525
    ~I pirate indie games~
    May 2005
    17,287 Posts
    This ship makes me almost want to make an Avian character just to use it
    this is really cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #18526
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    12,383 Posts
    Goddamn did I miss a sale on this bychance? I've played Terraria and I was really itching for this game to get on sale. It looks like a whole flight of stairs up from Terraria.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

7. Post #18527
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,212 Posts
    Goddamn did I miss a sale on this bychance? I've played Terraria and I was really itching for this game to get on sale. It looks like a whole flight of stairs up from Terraria.
    For obvious reasons Starbound won't go on sale anytime soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events

8. Post #18528
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    143 Posts
    There's rarely sales for beta-version for games, so I'd expect this to not go on sale.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

9. Post #18529
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    8,821 Posts
    The point is that you can have the interior look nice without sacrificing functionality.
    If you're like me however and set up shop on a planet then I don't give a fuck how the ship looks, I could be flying a cargo container around for all I care, I don't care if it looks good or not, I spend barely any time in the damn thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #18530
    Has volunteered for dissection because the doctor is cute
    May 2009
    17,075 Posts
    I found one of those places with the tiny houses and lanterns, they are eerie as hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #18531
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,212 Posts
    I found one of those places with the tiny houses and lanterns, they are eerie as hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 24Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #18532
    January 2012
    180 Posts
    I was expecting smurfs..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #18533
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    8,140 Posts
    First time i found the tiny houses, i was honestly expecting a tiny person to come out and give me the Nemesis, felt like i was playing Cave Story all of a sudden.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #18534
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    2,708 Posts
    starbound probably wasn't going to go on sale, so I just decided to gift it to 2 friends of mine and buy it for myself.

this game is amazing, I'm absolutely loving it, and imo it's already caught up to Terraria in the span of what, 5 updates?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #18535
    And remember : respect is everything.
    April 2009
    2,053 Posts
    I was disappointed you cant take them. They're just small breakable containers like pots and caps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 15Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #18536
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    10,641 Posts
    On second thought, I may as well restart. I'm starting up a new iteration of Paul of Dune right now. Let's see if the easter egg still works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 India Show Events

17. Post #18537
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    12,967 Posts
    starbound probably wasn't going to go on sale, so I just decided to gift it to 2 friends of mine and buy it for myself.

this game is amazing, I'm absolutely loving it, and imo it's already caught up to Terraria in the span of what, 5 updates?
    I don't think you know how huge Terraria is.

After that 1.2 patch, it is gigantic. Starbound still has a while to go to match it. I have no doubt Starbound will turn out better, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

18. Post #18538
    Dennab
    August 2012
    4,013 Posts
    I hate begging, but does anybody on the server have a red scarf that they don't use? I want one for my character and I can't find any.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #18539
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    2,708 Posts
    Quick question, which wiki has the most accurate info so far? I've seen like 4 already, and was wondering which one you guys used

20. Post #18540
    Quick question, which wiki has the most accurate info so far? I've seen like 4 already, and was wondering which one you guys used
    starbounder is the official, and has the most info
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 3 (list)

21. Post #18541
    Dennab
    August 2012
    4,013 Posts
    Does anybody know if the items Frogs sell change depending on the tier of the planet you find them in? I really like Frogs, but the things they sell in T2 are useless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #18542
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,489 Posts
    Does anybody know if the items Frogs sell change depending on the tier of the planet you find them in? I really like Frogs, but the things they sell in T2 are useless.
    A bomb merchant is never useless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

23. Post #18543
    A bomb merchant is never useless.
    TBH once you get into drills, bombs are pretty useless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #18544
    May 2009
    1,267 Posts
    the only use i found for bombs is cutting down trees faster than an axe.

their damage falls off to uselessness and mining with a diamond drill is faster than bombs for mining on the surface anyways.

25. Post #18545
    Dennab
    June 2010
    7,636 Posts
    speaking of drills where the fuck do you get drills
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #18546
    I am a very friendly person!
    January 2012
    8,338 Posts
    speaking of drills where the fuck do you get drills
    Robotic Crafting Table, after beating the Giant Robot Skeledragon (corrected by the two people below!).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

27. Post #18547
    And remember : respect is everything.
    April 2009
    2,053 Posts
    Robotic Crafting Table, after beating the Giant Robot.
    Aren't they unlocked at tier 4 ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #18548
    Dennab
    December 2013
    3,958 Posts
    yeah i had to beat off the boner derrrrrgon before i could make drills.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 4 (list)

29. Post #18549
    January 2012
    8,338 Posts
    I forgot when the drills actually appeared, so I just checked the files:

Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "copperbar", "count" : 20 },
        { "item" : "money", "count" : 400 }
      ],
      "output" : { "item" : "copperdrill", "count" : 1 },
      "groups" : [ "roboticcraftingtable", "tools", "all" ]
    }
    And I assumed it was after the Giant Robot.

30. Post #18550
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    5,487 Posts
    Can I have a link for facepunch abc song collection please?

31. Post #18551
    RUDE MEANIE
    December 2011
    2,887 Posts
    Can I have a link for facepunch abc song collection please?
    There.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

32. Post #18552
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,786 Posts
    Do you remember the coordinates?

33. Post #18553
    January 2012
    8,338 Posts
    To be honest, it feels a bit worthless to craft the Diamond Pickaxe, because by the time you do, you'll have at least the Copper Drill (which already deals more block damage than the highest-tier Pickaxe), and even if the drills break faster, you'll have so many repairing ores it's basically like paying a penny or two to fully repair a powerful mining tool.

(Because pennies have copper coating hur)

So if anything, the Diamond Pickaxe needs to be part of the Copper Drill recipe, just so it actually has a purpose of some sort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #18554
    January 2012
    180 Posts
    To be honest, it feels a bit worthless to craft the Diamond Pickaxe, because by the time you do, you'll have at least the Copper Drill (which already deals more block damage than the highest-tier Pickaxe), and even if the drills break faster, you'll have so many repairing ores it's basically like paying a penny or two to fully repair a powerful mining tool.

So if anything, the Diamond Pickaxe needs to be part of the Copper Drill recipe, just so it actually has a purpose of some sort.
    Of course I have the copper drill.. Ehem.

Edit: I see on the wiki that it says you can be a Penguin race, but it's exclusive?
    Never heard of that.

35. Post #18555
    March 2012
    365 Posts
    I'm seeing if what I have done works, if it does I'll let you know.

Edited:

Nevermind, the game is being a piece of shit and won't get past the first loading you see.
    Aw, Thanks for trying but if you get it working I'm sure many people would find it very useful.

36. Post #18556
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    4,326 Posts
    Of course I have the copper drill.. Ehem.

Edit: I see on the wiki that it says you can be a Penguin race, but it's exclusive?
    Never heard of that.
    probably something that was in beta that was forgotten to be taken off the wiki, a lot of stuff is like that on starbounder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #18557
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    19,985 Posts

The diamond drill seemed barely more effective than the platinum pickaxe before the last patch.

38. Post #18558
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    5,427 Posts
    I generally have a diamond pickaxe by the time I've defeated the Bone dragon, and I'm not sure the copper drill is much more effective than it - I think it's around the gold drill that you start seeing a marked improvement

39. Post #18559
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,050 Posts

It varies from person to person and planet to planet. The devs stated that ore generation is a bit boosted for the foreseeable future of the beta, and as such in some cases you could end up crafting a diamond pick at some point on your starting world. Well before you'd have access to the Drill schematics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #18560
    January 2012
    8,338 Posts
    I generally have a diamond pickaxe by the time I've defeated the Bone dragon, and I'm not sure the copper drill is much more effective than it - I think it's around the gold drill that you start seeing a marked improvement
    According to the files...

Diamond Pickaxe: 7500 Durability, 2.7 Tile Damage, 0.6 Tile Damage (Blunted)
    Copper Drill: 3000 Durability, 2.9 Tile Damage, 0.2 Tile Damage (Blunted)
    Diamond Drill: 3000 Durability, 3.7 Tile Damage, 0.2 Tile Damage (Blunted)

All of the above have the same 0.3s fire rate. I'm not sure what Tile Damage (Blunted) means, though, the amount of damage it does while broken?

But in any case, the lowest-tier drill does a better job at mining than the highest-tier pickaxe, while said drill lasts shorter than said pickaxe.

It varies from person to person and planet to planet. The devs stated that ore generation is a bit boosted for the foreseeable future of the beta, and as such in some cases you could end up crafting a diamond pick at some point on your starting world. Well before you'd have access to the Drill schematics.
    I still say Diamond Pickaxes should part of the Copper Drill recipe.

It's not much of a change for people who get the pickaxe way before crafting drills (aside from having to give up a high-durability tool for lower durability, but they'd have a lot of repairing ores by that point), but it'll at least have some purpose for people who can craft drills before they even got the Diamond Pickaxe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)