1. Post #11641
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,717 Posts
    And how do you think it is now?

You just rush to highest level Avian Airship in your sector, grab best guns, go to a bit lower threat level planet, pimp the heck out of yourself and 1 hit kill every single creature (daylight and night ones).
    Build boss spawning thingy -> trap him / glitch him, shot from the save spot -> proceed to new sector and repeat the same thing.

I really dislike current Armor/Damage system, it's very simple to understand, yet it is awful.
    It limits what weapons you want to use... none will ever use a rare 3 levels lower weapon, if they got common one on the same level as mobs, as it will deal full damage, instead to what... 50-60% of base damage?

I know that they wanted to avoid horrendously big damage numbers, but in my humble opinion, I would prefer to deal 5173 dmg to a creature at 93 threat level, than 24 dmg with current system that negates the use of lower tier weapons.

I won't even start about armors, because 1 hit kill bullcrap on just a bit higher threat level planet is bad.

Can't wait for the update + wipe.
    Too bad, my "Last Stand" human colony, placed in fallout bunker on some god forsaken desert planet, will be wiped, but I'm all for new changes!
    Yeah, armor should have just been damage mitigation like normal from the start. I'd leave armor piercing in, but I'd make it a special trait for a weapon rather than a stat so that it's just DPS comparison as they're going to change it to with the wipe. I'd also add in upgrade modules for the matter manipulator, so that it's cheaper initially to just make tools but for high tech players they can use their space mining gun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

2. Post #11642
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    13,527 Posts
    The Borg would be inclined to disagree...
    The key word being non combat, would you describe the borg as peaceful?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

3. Post #11643
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    5,423 Posts
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...anetgen.config

Made this, enables random planet gravity, can go from 62.5% lower than the normal to 62.5% more than the normal amount.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #11644
    It's Treason Then
    December 2008
    22,988 Posts
    Or, you know you could use this to choose when you want a DIY ship so you don't have to overwrite all the races files. Yay!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 25Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #11645
    Dennab
    November 2009
    14,761 Posts
    The key word being non combat, would you describe the borg as peaceful?
    I was more saying that the perfect shape for any spaceship is a cube...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #11646
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    13,527 Posts
    And how do you think it is now?

You just rush to highest level Avian Airship in your sector, grab best guns, go to a bit lower threat level planet, pimp the heck out of yourself and 1 hit kill every single creature (daylight and night ones).
    Build boss spawning thingy -> trap him / glitch him, shot from the save spot -> proceed to new sector and repeat the same thing.

I really dislike current Armor/Damage system, it's very simple to understand, yet it is awful.
    It limits what weapons you want to use... none will ever use a rare 3 levels lower weapon, if they got common one on the same level as mobs, as it will deal full damage, instead to what... 50-60% of base damage?

I know that they wanted to avoid horrendously big damage numbers, but in my humble opinion, I would prefer to deal 5173 dmg to a creature at 93 threat level, than 24 dmg with current system that negates the use of lower tier weapons.

I won't even start about armors, because 1 hit kill bullcrap on just a bit higher threat level planet is bad.

Can't wait for the update + wipe.
    Too bad, my "Last Stand" human colony, placed in fallout bunker on some god forsaken desert planet, will be wiped, but I'm all for new changes!
    Write down the coordinates for your human colony, it's not clear if your universe save will be wiped too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #11647
    Crescent fresh
    January 2011
    1,339 Posts
    This will definetly happend, someone will make a Tardis ship mod for Starbound.
    I'm working on one right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events

8. Post #11648
    I main Captain Falcon
    November 2010
    5,504 Posts
    Or, you know you could use this to choose when you want a DIY ship so you don't have to overwrite all the races files. Yay!
    Used that, some idiot with a fishaxe destroyed everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #11649
    October 2009
    1,148 Posts
    So I made a daft little video where I made a house on a random planet.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #11650

September 2012
    10 Posts
    DISCUSSION IN 'MOD RELEASES' STARTED BY RIK, TODAY AT 7:30 AM
    Dammit. Should have played with .shipworld files earlier.

Also yes the map loops around exactly like planets, and it looks 100% the same to other people who don't have anything modified.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

11. Post #11651
    July 2012
    1,996 Posts

Our work in progress moon storage/mining base
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

12. Post #11652
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    4,011 Posts
    After stumbling onto my first prison, I can see why people are using them as bases/homes. Post wipe I am gonna find another one and dedicate my time to using whatever blocks I can find to turn it from ramshackle prison into a sprawling home. Yeah, I know its cliched.

13. Post #11653
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    13,527 Posts

Our work in progress moon storage/mining base
    Is there anything special on moons in terms of what you can mine? Like plutonium maybe?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

14. Post #11654
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    482 Posts
    I'm working on one right now
    Just awesome, keep us updated about it. Also it'd be great if you could somehow make the Tardis an object ingame, so you can walk up to the door and press E and it'll do the warp thingy. But then you end up inside the Tardis at the entrance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

15. Post #11655
    It's Treason Then
    December 2008
    22,988 Posts
    I feel like doing nothing but annoy people with music because of the upcoming wipe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #11656
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,717 Posts
    I'm having the most trouble with this

Isn't that sort of what you do in, I don't know, most games? It's the timing about it that makes it interesting, right? Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Edited:

Don't get pixels then??? noob
    The combat is pretty bad, beta aside. It's based around you either one shotting everything or getting one shotted by everything yourself. This coming update should alleviate that somewhat. I predict we're going to get a lot of people who either don't understand what a beta is or people mindlessly defending things that do actually need to be fixed in the name of "oh it's just a beta."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #11657
    I am a very friendly person!
    January 2012
    8,338 Posts
    This is how banking will work, according to the Developer Tweet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

18. Post #11658
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    5,423 Posts
    damn that was much easier than I thought it would be

edit: as to be expected, it doesn't actually load
    oh well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #11659
    Finally made it to the beta sector with shit armor and a 39 armor piercing weapon.

Time to farm to make the robot immediately after beating the UFO.

20. Post #11660
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    6,731 Posts
    Someone build this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #11661
    July 2012
    1,996 Posts
    ill just keep using the mod since 40% loss just for banking is insane
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #11662
    ill just keep using the mod since 40% loss just for banking is insane
    I wouldn't mind something like 10% loss.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

23. Post #11663
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    5,423 Posts
    Yeah 40% is obscene, good thing it's easy to mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

24. Post #11664
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    6,269 Posts
    So, you lose more money in the process when you store money than when you die.

What.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #11665
    It's Treason Then
    December 2008
    22,988 Posts
    I really hope they will add more security measures against people having modified weapons, unlimited items of everything and some basic area protection at the spawn since people are building death traps at the place you teleport in.

Also basic moderation tools + RCON would be nice, but yeah, i know its in beta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

26. Post #11666
    White Male seeking K-Pop Harem
    January 2012
    2,806 Posts
    So has anyone figured out the value for things that can be 3D printed? Or is it based on the item type?

I want to make items like ornate flooring 3D printable.

27. Post #11667
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    592 Posts
    I dont see why they are so freaking hard pressed on taking away your "grinding points" all the time. I want the challenge to come from exploring and finding what i need, not from some number that goes down every time i slip up or the game decides its time for me to die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #11668
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    12,824 Posts
    I like the pixel compression idea, but wouldn't it make more sense just to have a virtual bank with a tax or something?

That's just one more item taking up inventory space.

And there's too much bullshit to have it take shit away on death as much as it does.

How was I suppose to know those stalagmites/rotors/Po's/thorns can 1-2 shot me? Especially those god damn stalagmites, they look like part of the environment and blend in so well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #11669
    November 2013
    2,482 Posts

A little update to the moon base from earlier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

30. Post #11670
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    592 Posts
    I really hope they will add more security measures against people having modified weapons, unlimited items of everything and some basic area protection at the spawn since people are building death traps at the place you teleport in.

Also basic moderation tools + RCON would be nice, but yeah, i know its in beta.
    Personally I dont care. this game is much funner to play with friends than random asshats. hackers will be around no matter what you do and id hate to see the modding abilities squashed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #11671
    It's Treason Then
    December 2008
    22,988 Posts
    Personally I dont care. this game is much funner to play with friends than random asshats. hackers will be around no matter what you do and id hate to see the modding abilities squashed.
    Then added options would be nicer. A simple scan to see modified files would be easier to be done.
    Also as of now people can 'grief' by throwing bombs at other people's ship and buildings, but the Rights system would be implanted soonish they said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events

32. Post #11672
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    6,269 Posts
    Who are these insane people on the Starbound forums that encourage these harsh penalties and want to make the game ever harder? Jesus Christ, god forbid the game is ACCESSIBLE to people who aren't maniacs.

It's hard enough as it is. You can't afford to lose pixels so often, especially when a lot of higher grade enemies will kill you in one shot because they were one level higher than your defense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

33. Post #11673
    September 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Write down the coordinates for your human colony, it's not clear if your universe save will be wiped too.
    I will pass on doing that, as I do enjoy building stuff from the scratch :).
    Had a lot of fun building that bunker/colony today, I will have even more fun when things will be more polished.
    I do enjoy going deep into the planet for resources, but my biggest grasp is combat right now and how dull it is due to current systems. Because you get caught in combat in CQC with monsters down below, on higher level maps it's just 1 hitting them or being 1 hitted... I hate this and I had a lot of rage moments today collecting some stuff for that colony.

That's why I have decided to scrap the idea of saving it and go for fresh one, without memories of raging alot by being killed by a falling monster when I was wandering under some big opening above my head, deep under surface of some planet.

I will just leave here the current status of the "Last Stand" human colony...farewell few hours of building it, though tbh I really don't mind losing it :) .

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #11674
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    8,711 Posts
    There needs to be a gamemode where you have infinite amounts of all items, invincibility, no monsters, and NPC spawners.
    It'd be cool to just be able to build whatever the hell you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #11675
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    6,269 Posts
    Starbound creative mode needs to be a thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #11676
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    592 Posts
    Who are these insane people on the Starbound forums that encourage these harsh penalties and want to make the game ever harder? Jesus Christ, god forbid the game is ACCESSIBLE to people who aren't maniacs.

It's hard enough as it is. You can't afford to lose pixels so often, especially when a lot of higher grade enemies will kill you in one shot because they were one level higher than your defense.
    They did that with terriara also, just idiots who play the game 24/7 then complain its way too easy. Pretty sure its why they added hardmode

37. Post #11677
    Can't Keep Johnny Down
    April 2009
    2,445 Posts

More music video. McDombles gets lucky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #11678
    March 2009
    1,476 Posts
    Soooo yeah the server crashed absolutely out of fucking nowhere, succesfully corrupting the save, ~6hrs of work lost, and I ain't building anything til this gets fixed.

TBH every other game at least saved/backed up somehow the server world every x minutes, even minecraft. fuck this
    this is the fucking beta

there's a god damn disclaimer on the website: Don't play at this stage if you hate having your charater whiped/regularly losing everything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 3 (list)

39. Post #11679
    Crescent fresh
    January 2011
    1,339 Posts
    Just awesome, keep us updated about it. Also it'd be great if you could somehow make the Tardis an object ingame, so you can walk up to the door and press E and it'll do the warp thingy. But then you end up inside the Tardis at the entrance.
    Probably possible, you can script items. I'm currently drawing out the inside of the TARDIS console. I'll make the place where he grabbed his clothes from (http://u.rtag.me/monk.gif) the storage and the middle the navigation. Not sure what I could do about making it move when the TARDIS is travelling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events

40. Post #11680
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,425 Posts
    40% is not bad compared to losing 30% on one death.

If you have something to spend it on, spend it and don't use the bank.

If you have lots of money and nothing to spend it on, put it in the bank instead of losing it on deaths.

Edit: Deaths WILL happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)