1. Post #5481
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,251 Posts
    okey dokey

I'm giving up on doing stuff with the corners and edge because it's stupid and complicated

Edited:

liiines.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

2. Post #5482
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,362 Posts
    What is in that bowl? Looks like dried grasshoppers...

Also, hey! I made a second thing!
    You enter an exponent when the program starts and can adjust the Interpolation rate(how many squares it renders) and the....bend rate, I guess?

Also, super bad frame-rate at the end because trillions of squares!

I'm having too much fun with this...
    It's cool, but inefficient! Try using polys:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #5483
    Gold Member
    April 2013
    475 Posts
    What's that in the cup?
    Looks kinda like insects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #5484
    June 2010
    1,566 Posts
    What's that in the cup?
    Looks kinda like insects.
    I'm guessing mint humbugs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #5485
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,325 Posts
    I'm guessing mint humbugs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Spain Show Events Informative Informative x 13Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #5486
    August 2009
    570 Posts
    My codebase is turning into a real mess but at least my animation is top-notch.

I hope you don't mind if I forget to turn off my music for literally every video
    Hey, I was just wondering if those were your character sprites or not, because I saw some other project using the same ones on TIGSource.

Here it is: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=34115.0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #5487
    June 2010
    1,566 Posts
    Hey, I was just wondering if those were your character sprites or not, because I saw some other project using the same ones on TIGSource.

Here it is: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=34115.0
    I posted about it earlier:

tappity tap work your stations little pixel people

The crew sprites aren't mine, just placeholders I nicked off the tigsource image scraper. Artist is someone called 'Cow' on the forums there, I think.

Edited:

My chrome can't into animated gifs but that is supposed to be a gif.
    They were only meant to be placeholders, but I started modifying them because I like spriting in-between coding sessions to clear my head. I plan to hire an artist to replace all the borrowed assets I'm using (I also ripped a bunch of stuff from FTL, none will appear in the final game).

Also that game is absolutely gorgeous and now I feel inadequate ;_;

Edit:

FUCK HE'S MAKING THE SAME GODDAMN GAME AND IT'S BETTER
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

8. Post #5488
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,277 Posts
    I posted about it earlier:

They were only meant to be placeholders, but I started modifying them because I like spriting in-between coding sessions to clear my head. I plan to hire an artist to replace all the borrowed assets I'm using (I also ripped a bunch of stuff from FTL, none will appear in the final game).

Also that game is absolutely gorgeous and now I feel inadequate ;_;

Edit:

Don't stop making yours, as a fan service
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

9. Post #5489
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    6,796 Posts
    If it's to any consolation, he's probably worked a lot longer on it than you have on yours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #5490
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,195 Posts

Almost completed error handler thingy for the microkernel i'm working on in C.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Croatia Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

11. Post #5491
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,325 Posts

Almost completed error handler thingy for the microkernel i'm working on in C.
    Kernel error handling...

you must be joking, the best of working on kernels is that any failure fucks all up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #5492
    Gold Member

June 2007
    4,281 Posts
    So my fake console thing now uses shaders instead of drawing a sprite for every char and it's really fast now. Getting ~400 FPS on a 200x80 character array.

Also added support for foreground and background colors, and the 1px shadows are now shader based too. They can be controlled using the transparency channel of the background color (because who wants transparent backgrounds anyway?)
    Notice how the shadows slowly fade out from top to bottom. They're still not perfect though, because they sometimes overlap to another character on the texture atlas. Still need to figure out how to fix that one.

Gonna try to make the character array resize with the game window now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 10Funny Funny x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

13. Post #5493
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,251 Posts
    Since I added line drawing I keep getting distracted when I'm trying to think up game mechanics argh

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

14. Post #5494
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,559 Posts
    Since I added line drawing I keep getting distracted when I'm trying to think up game mechanics argh

Kinda unrelated, but the version of Opera I'm uses scrolls in jumps that are almost the exact same height as your hex tiles, so when I scroll past that image it looks like the background is staying stationary with the stuff on top moving over it like an overlay.
    Trippy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 6 (list)

15. Post #5495
    January 2010
    562 Posts
    MY timer thing is turning into a fully fledged time management app. With every feature it's becoming more and more useful. I've re-written the base to make it much more modular, added a working todo list, and half-finished a full calendar/scheduler. For some reason I'm enjoying working on this thing so much more then anything else I've coded.

Have another pointlessly huge video of the todo list in action (cause i know you guys love huge videos):
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #5496

Working on a webserver in NodeJS for an HTML5 game

Got carried away in making a log thing :v

Edited:

Here's the clusterfuck called 'code for big notice' if anyone wants to take a quick look. Not showing the rest because it's ugly and noone should learn anything from it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Netherlands Show Events Programming King Programming King x 7Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #5497
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,740 Posts
    So I've been working on this the past few days. It takes audio input via 3.5mm jack and runs a FFT on it, displays it on a grid of 8x8 RGB LEDs.

In a little bit, I'm going to put the LEDs under my desk's frosted glass, which will diffuse the colors in a really cool way (I already have the mounts in place, as you can kinda see in the video). I know very little about hardware, and building an ADC or trying to transform the analog signal range to something the Arduino can handle seemed a bit daunting, so I got an Arduino shield that did that part for me.

I've been posting periodic updates on Instagram (because that's what all the cool kids use now)

Non-embedded link
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 17Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

18. Post #5498
    December 2009
    1,452 Posts
    I am having trouble deciding how I want my (quasi)-dynamic lighting map to update.
    Right now it only updates when a new tile is placed which would add a stutter to gameplay if it was constantly updating every time it updates. As it is now only the map-editor can remove or place tile so it doesn't cause any issues because I don't calculate the lights in the editor.

The problem is that in the future I plan to implement player interaction with the tiles so I'd need to update it pretty frequently and not just on startup. I could either dynamically distribute the calculations linearly over each frame and only redraw when a full cycle of calculating has finished or I could take the extra computing time from the game loop and instead of skipping until the next increment (currently capped at 60fps) I could calculate as much as the lightMap as I can in the extra time and then continue on the next frame's extra time. The problem with this is that it would never update on computers running the game below 60fps and on high end computers the map would update faster than on slower computers. The advantage is that it would never lower the fps because it only calculates in the down time the currently the OS just sleeps.

19. Post #5499
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,287 Posts
    YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYE SYESYESYESYES

Can someone explain this to me? I don't use windows enough to understand why this is impressive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

20. Post #5500
    November 2007
    691 Posts
    Can someone explain this to me? I don't use windows enough to understand why this is impressive.
    A 0day exploit that apparently gives root-like privileges on Windows. I suppose he wrote a program or something that when executed gives it access.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

21. Post #5501
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,325 Posts
    A 0day exploit that apparently gives root-like privileges on Windows. I suppose he wrote a program or something that when executed gives it access.
    indeed, it gives you kernel leve privileges, I improved the exploit a little bit, so it's faster and tends to fail exploiting less.

Also it includes more bsod's, but who cares.

Also i'm trying to port it to other platforms, having kernel level acess in windows phone or xbox one would be amazing.

Befores shitstorm comes:

WP and Xone (if the bug isn't fixed before it's release) use ntoskrnl, so there is a chance that the exploit works on them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

22. Post #5502
    November 2007
    691 Posts
    If it doesn't work on WP or Xone, I suggest you report it to Ms, I think they have a cash reward for security exploits found. Or was it google ?
    Otherwise, you should kinda keep how you do it a secret, might make some people happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #5503
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,325 Posts
    If it doesn't work on WP or Xone, I suggest you report it to Ms, I think they have a cash reward for security exploits found. Or was it google ?
    Otherwise, you should kinda keep how you do it a secret, might make some people happy.
    it's not a secret http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/25912/

it's still unpatched

btw post 200 yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #5504
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,617 Posts
    Isn't this a thread about your own projects, not ones you compiled off the Internet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #5505
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    September 2008
    9,384 Posts
    Isn't this a thread about your own projects, not ones you compiled off the Internet?
    it's a thread for what you're working on and he's working on exploiting windows 8 through a known exploit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

26. Post #5506
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    384 Posts
    Well

indeed, it gives you kernel leve privileges, I improved the exploit a little bit, so it's faster and tends to fail exploiting less.

Also it includes more bsod's, but who cares.

Also i'm trying to port it to other platforms, having kernel level acess in windows phone or xbox one would be amazing.

Befores shitstorm comes:

WP and Xone (if the bug isn't fixed before it's release) use ntoskrnl, so there is a chance that the exploit works on them

[...]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

27. Post #5507
    July 2011
    122 Posts
    I'm 85~% through porting the glMatrix library to Java

https://github.com/Quarynn/jMatrix

Feel free to check it out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Turkey Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

28. Post #5508
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,195 Posts

Finally (No pun intended)! Exception handling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Croatia Show Events Winner Winner x 5Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #5509
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,740 Posts
    As it turns out, the Arduino shield I'm using to get audio input does more than just scale the input to a valid range, it does some low-pass filtering and integration to make VU meters look better (which makes the middle frequencies of an FFT appear weaker).

The solution?

Code:
    if (i == 0 || i == 7)
          curData /= 4;
    The first and last bars are scaled down to the same range as the other ones. The middle ranges are also not nearly as stable as the first and last bars, they'll drop to 0 every few updates and create this flickering kind of effect, so I fix that by making sure a bar can only ever decrease by 1 pixel at a time.

Code:
    if (prev[i] > barLength && curData < prev[i] - barLength)
          curData = prev[i] - barLength;
    Edited:

I'll post another video once I mount it all under my desk...

Edited:

I'm also planning on releasing the source on GitHub, I'm going to clean things up first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #5510
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,195 Posts

Well, THAT was unexpected.

Responsible code:
    Code:
    	char* A = "STRING A";
    	String B = "STRING B";
    	char* C = String_Copy(A, B);
    	Console_WriteLine(String_Concat(String_Concat(String_Concat(String_Concat(A, "\n"), B), "\n"), C));
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Croatia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #5511
    March 2011
    626 Posts

I did text rendering and mouse input today!

Edited:

Theming with just a line!

Code:
    topPanel.ApplyTheme(&sourceTheme);
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 13Artistic Artistic x 2Programming King Programming King x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #5512
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,421 Posts
    it's not a secret http://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/25912/

it's still unpatched

btw post 200 yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
    I did find it quite odd that you'd store your project in "C:\Users\Franco\Downloads"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Zing x 16Funny x 3Informative x 1Friendly x 1Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #5513

July 2013
    118 Posts
    I'm trying to update an old addon I had for WoW (i need this because of reasons). Problem is, it hasn't been updated since 1.3.2. I have absolutely NO idea where I'd even START to debug it and figure out what to change. Have you guys ever had any experience with stuff like this? I need all the tips I can get.

Also it's written in Lua, which I'm only partially familiar with, so that should be fun too.

34. Post #5514
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    449 Posts
    AddOns often break because of changes to the API. Load the addon (load out of date addons checked, or update the version requirement in the ToC) and start digging for errors. WoWWiki can help you: http://www.wowwiki.com/API_change_summaries
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Belgium Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #5515

July 2013
    118 Posts
    That should help a bit. I know C++ and Java, so (and this might be a dumb statement) Lua can't be too hard to figure out. Also the addon is (loosely) based on ELIZA, and I've got a full Java port of that, so worst case scenario is I can just write the entire code again from scratch.

36. Post #5516
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    449 Posts
    Lua is great; though you may need to get used to the table oriented design. this should help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Belgium Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #5517

July 2013
    118 Posts
    I'm just used to writing all my shit in compilers, it's really annoying to try to find problems in a notepad document. But thanks, that helps a lot.

Edited:

wow there's literally NO documentation in this code

this will be fun

38. Post #5518
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,598 Posts
    You can do syntax checking with luac -p <file>.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Germany Show Events

39. Post #5519

July 2013
    118 Posts
    I have no idea what that does, but thanks.

Man I'm in for a world of confusion and trouble, but I'm lab aiding right now anyway (not RIGHT now, but in general) and usually no one needs me, so I'll be in a room with a bunch of nerds as it is. Might as well make use of it.

Edited:

How accurate is this?

Might be nice as a quick reference.

40. Post #5520
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,559 Posts
    Yay!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 65 (list)