1. Post #6161
    VOTE CLINTON 2016 (ignore anything else i say)
    Dennab
    February 2009
    6,085 Posts
    Ok Google..

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 39Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #6162
    August 2009
    1,688 Posts
    Not entirely programming forum content, but I got tired of websites butchering my code alignment when I relied on tabs being 4 spaces wide, so I made http://paste.curlybracket.co.uk/ . The reason that it was a problem was because I was trying to post my invented CPU architecture that I have been working on http://paste.curlybracket.co.uk/ZTc1MGIw . I've started an emulator but I haven't yet started on an assembler, which is kinda needed, manually assembling code isn't fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 9Winner Winner x 3Useful Useful x 2 (list)

3. Post #6163
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    812 Posts
    Today I added interface support for my lua vm:

Code:
    ClassAccess interf = ClassAccessFactory.create( List.class );

LuaTable list = MetaFactory.create(interf, "JavaList");
    	platform.register(List.class, list);

ArrayList<String> data = new ArrayList<String>();
    	data.add("hello");
    	data.add("interface");
    	data.add("wrapping");

env.rawset("list", data);
    Works perfectly, apart from one small part. Java generics.

Java generics information is earsed compile time, basically it works like a 'preprocessor' that adds casts
    to appropriate places. That is my problem.

Lua code can bypass these checks, since they are not done compile time like this:
    Code:
    list:add( 10 )
    This way, the list would have a Double element inside it, despite that it is parameterized to have only Strings inside, this causes ClassCast exceptions whenever you want to read a value from the list, since the compiler assumed runtime that no other value could get into the list.

How would you guys get around that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

4. Post #6164
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    3,878 Posts
    Not entirely programming forum content, but I got tired of websites butchering my code alignment when I relied on tabs being 4 spaces wide, so I made http://paste.curlybracket.co.uk/ . The reason that it was a problem was because I was trying to post my invented CPU architecture that I have been working on http://paste.curlybracket.co.uk/ZTc1MGIw . I've started an emulator but I haven't yet started on an assembler, which is kinda needed, manually assembling code isn't fun.
    fuck, thank you, i don't know why its so hard for code sites to implement shit like this

not even github or google code do this correctly, but yours does it flawlessly!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11 (list)

5. Post #6165
    Hates php
    May 2006
    2,377 Posts
    After 2 weeks I still don't like this new job. I like the people there but the work sucks and the culture is not what I was looking for. At this point I may just end up quitting. Note to future self: No matter how exciting a QA position is described, at the end of the day its still QA. Also if you are the first QA person they are hiring, be ready for the most untestable code ever. Even if everyone there is a senior developer. I hate to say my last boss was right. I should have looked more.

This whole experience has just been fucking depressing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 19 (list)

6. Post #6166
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    3,878 Posts
    -snip, merged above-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

7. Post #6167
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,036 Posts
    I had to rewrite some of the android.opengl.matrix functions.

Why would anyone think that it was ok to allocate a new array for every single matrix rotation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

8. Post #6168
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,598 Posts
    This way, the list would have a Double element inside it, despite that it is parameterized to have only Strings inside, this causes ClassCast exceptions whenever you want to read a value from the list, since the compiler assumed runtime that no other value could get into the list.

How would you guys get around that?
    Insert run-time checks when inserting.
    You can retrieve the type argument.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Germany Show Events

9. Post #6169
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    812 Posts
    Insert run-time checks when inserting.
    You can retrieve the type argument.
    It was my initial idea, but sadly that does not work in every case, only if the object is a subclass of the generic class.
    Code:
    public static void main( String[] args ){
        List<String> subclass        = new ArrayList<String>(){};
        List<String> notSubclass    = new ArrayList<String>();

getGenericType(subclass);
        getGenericType(notSubclass);
    }

public static void getGenericType( List<?> list ){
        ParameterizedType type = (ParameterizedType) list.getClass().getGenericSuperclass();

System.out.println( type.getActualTypeArguments()[0] );
    }
    Code:
    class java.lang.String
    E
    Edited:

Do you think it is okay to add a check, so you could not access not subclassed generic objects methods?

(So you could only call generic methods on ArrayList<>{}, instead of ArrayList<> ?)

10. Post #6170
    February 2008
    448 Posts
    If changing the width of a tab character breaks your indentation scheme, you should probably be using spaces instead.

Tabs are fine for indenting your code normally, but if you're trying to align things you should be using spaces because a space character is guaranteed to have the same width. Tabs could be anywhere from 2-8 characters (commonly) depending on environment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

11. Post #6171
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,598 Posts
    It was my initial idea, but sadly that does not work in every case, only if the object is a subclass of the generic class.
    Code:
    public static void main( String[] args ){
        List<String> subclass        = new ArrayList<String>(){};
        List<String> notSubclass    = new ArrayList<String>();

getGenericType(subclass);
        getGenericType(notSubclass);
    }

public static void getGenericType( List<?> list ){
        ParameterizedType type = (ParameterizedType) list.getClass().getGenericSuperclass();

System.out.println( type.getActualTypeArguments()[0] );
    }
    Code:
    class java.lang.String
    E
    Edited:

Do you think it is okay to add a check, so you could not access not subclassed generic objects methods?

(So you could only call generic methods on ArrayList<>{}, instead of ArrayList<> ?)
    Hm, what about Class.getTypeParameters()?

12. Post #6172
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    812 Posts
    url=http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/Class.html#getTypeParameters()]Class.getTypeParameters()[/url]?
    No such luck.
    Code:
    []
    [E]
    I am starting to suspect that it is impossible to do at runtime, because how the compiler transforms generics to a bunch of casts.

13. Post #6173
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,598 Posts
    welp.

In that case I guess it'd be sensible to only allow collections with T as Object and let the developer be prepared that any type could be returned.

14. Post #6174
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    788 Posts
    I've finished my image encryption program. For those of you who haven't seen my previous posts, its a program that encodes bytes into the pixel data of an image. My program produces an image based on a key that looks visually indistinguishable from the original but can contain large amounts of text or even full files up to a certain size obviously. Basically for each bit in the total bytes to be encoded the red, green, and blue subpixels are shifted by one to represent a '1' and not shifted to represent '0'. The program builds the bytes back to reproduce the file or text until it hits a pixel shifted by two representing the end of bits. The output image also holds metadata to determine text/file as well as filename to be output once decrypted.

How maybe bytes can an image hold, you ask? (3/8) * (width * height - 1) bytes. Width and height are the dimensions of the image. To put this into perspective, a 1920x1080 image can hold a 70-80,000 word novel. (776,880 bytes)

Now, obviously you need a key and an encoded image to get anything from this program. If you lose either, the data is gone. If you want to use a key image from the internet and are worried about people using the same key to decode something, don't worry. This program can create a unique key image by randomly shifting some subpixels.

As for future features, I don't really plan on working on this any more but I do want to make the alpha channel available for data but I don't know how I would be able to differentiate between 3 and 4 channels when decrypting unless I let the user choose.

Without further ado, download here.

And here are images for you to try to decode.

Key: http://i.imgur.com/ujna4kM.png

Code: http://i.imgur.com/vrgln5b.png

Edit: It was recently brought to my attention via PM that I did not post the source to this. I don't feel totally terrible about it for once so here it is. I recommend viewing it outside of pastebin because the formatting of long lines gets a bit messed up. http://pastebin.com/r5XXyij2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Programming King Programming King x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #6175
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    812 Posts
    Yeah, most likely. Altough that makes me a little sad, because it was a totally enclosed sandbox until now.
    Because of this 'exploit' in a poorly done environment, lua scripts could cause errors outside my code, making crazy, and unexpected results.

ClassCast exceptions inside a foreach loop, they are not nice to debug

Edit:

That is the best I could come up with:
    Code:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Class has generic type parameters!
    	at hu.mentlerd.hybrid.asm.ClassAccessFactory.create(ClassAccessFactory.java:81)
    Thanks for the help!

16. Post #6176
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,752 Posts
    Just for a laugh, I tried throwing 100 lights at the renderer to see what would happen

Other than some loading time due to excessively poorly implemented memory management (which is now fixed), it only took an extra 2 1/2 ms/frame to handle all of them. Hooray for deferred rendering! This means I can have nice lights literally all over the shop and have everything look pretty damn sexy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

17. Post #6177
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,036 Posts
    This is starting to look like a game!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2Programming King Programming King x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #6178
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,287 Posts
    I've created a framebuffer class which allowed me to optimize my text rendering further by clearing texture atlases via framebuffers instead of generating and sending a blank image via the CPU.

It's not much to look at, but it led me to creating and structuring a lot of sub-systems which made me feel like I made a lot of progress. :u

I even created a pretty README.md on github for the engine:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 11Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #6179
    Gold Member

February 2005
    3,376 Posts
    My method of terrain generation involved basically plotting a few (hundred) thousand very high points on a flat map, then using a smoothing function to flatten and smooth them out a bit. I didn't like the results though, because it still ended up extremely hilly and totally covered in lakes.

Really played that I managed to figure out how to implement perlin noise terrain generation, after just playing with it for a little bit its already starting to look a lot more natural. I'm currently generating the land from perlin noise, smoothing it a tiny bit, then adding in a few thousand random high points, then doing another 20-30 passes of smoothing. The high points added in are what caused the nice little islands/random small hills which I think is nice.

Has anyone made some nice detailed terrain generation before? I'm curious as to what a good order for building the features of the terrain is, as well as how to implement things such as biomes, anomalous deformations in the land etc.

My main concern is that currently I'm just saying that any tile under sea level is water, which inside the tool lets me freely adjust the water level and see the results. This makes it difficult because I'm also going to be using slanted texture tiles to give perception of height, so I want plenty of large flat areas but I also want varying shapes and sizes of lakes and mountains, but smoothing means that both the lakes and the mountains smooth out when I only want to create more flat terrain if that makes sense.

*EDIT*

Went with the option of allowing the smoothing method to smooth only non-water areas, so I can get the lakes I want then smooth the areas around them. I like the flatness, so the next thing is to create large a few large controlled hills/mountains, leaving the rest of the land at a nice height.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

20. Post #6180
    August 2007
    842 Posts
    I've been really struggling with this idea of randomly generated dungeons. The way I see it I have two options.

- Binding of Isaac style simple dungeon (Zelda)
    Pros: Very little backtracking, easy to implement.
    Cons: Begs comparison to binding, maybe too simple, gets boring quickly.

- Traditional rouge like style (Dungeons of Dredmor or Brogue are good examples)
    Pros: Real sense of exploration.
    Cons: Hard to implement, gets boring after 5 or so floors.

I really like the simple Binding of Isaac way but I feel like it's too close to being a clone. How do you all feel about it, which style would you prefer to play?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #6181
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,795 Posts
    My method of terrain generation involved basically plotting a few (hundred) thousand very high points on a flat map, then using a smoothing function to flatten and smooth them out a bit. I didn't like the results though, because it still ended up extremely hilly and totally covered in lakes.

Really played that I managed to figure out how to implement perlin noise terrain generation, after just playing with it for a little bit its already starting to look a lot more natural. I'm currently generating the land from perlin noise, smoothing it a tiny bit, then adding in a few thousand random high points, then doing another 20-30 passes of smoothing. The high points added in are what caused the nice little islands/random small hills which I think is nice.

Has anyone made some nice detailed terrain generation before? I'm curious as to what a good order for building the features of the terrain is, as well as how to implement things such as biomes, anomalous deformations in the land etc.

My main concern is that currently I'm just saying that any tile under sea level is water, which inside the tool lets me freely adjust the water level and see the results. This makes it difficult because I'm also going to be using slanted texture tiles to give perception of height, so I want plenty of large flat areas but I also want varying shapes and sizes of lakes and mountains, but smoothing means that both the lakes and the mountains smooth out when I only want to create more flat terrain if that makes sense.

*EDIT*

Went with the option of allowing the smoothing method to smooth only non-water areas, so I can get the lakes I want then smooth the areas around them. I like the flatness, so the next thing is to create large a few large controlled hills/mountains, leaving the rest of the land at a nice height.

I'm no expert by any means, but because I've been working on this exact thing for the past few days I'll share my thoughts.

First, read through this.

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/...ap-generation/

My first pass is with perlin noise to determine if the tile is land or water.

Then, I separate fresh water from salt water using a simple flood fill technique. If the water is connected to the grid edge, its salt.

Elevation is calculated from the distance to the closest ocean tile.

Then, I run more perlin noise over the elevation result to make it look more natural.

I calculate moisture by the distance to the closest fresh water tile.

Then, using both the moisture value and elevation value you can create your biomes.

Right now I'm using just a 2D array for all the calculations, but this approach is pretty shitty. On a 256x256 grid it takes like 3 minutes to generate a map (un-optimized as shit tho). I highly suggest using polygons as described in that article I linked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

22. Post #6182
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,161 Posts
    I've been really struggling with this idea of randomly generated dungeons. The way I see it I have two options.

- Traditional rouge like style (Dungeons of Dredmor or Brogue are good examples)

I really like the simple Binding of Isaac way but I feel like it's too close to being a clone. How do you all feel about it, which style would you prefer to play?
    uh, you got those the wrong way around. BoI has incredibly boring dungeon generation compared to good randomly generated traditional roguelike dungeons. Dungeons of Dredmor is a pretty bad example too, those levels kiiiiinda suck, really.

Edited:

BoI can have a lot of backtracking too, comparatively. It's just that it's on a smaller scale. It's arguably more boring too, because it's not like the rooms you backtrack through regenerate monsters or anything, you're just going back through empty rooms. Of course you can change that but your "pro and con" lists are a little wonky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #6183
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,795 Posts

I'm going to disagree with you on rouge style maps "get boring".

If you don't want it to get boring, don't limit yourself to corridors and try to theme your levels.

Take a note from incursion which had pretty cool maps. He seamlessly integrated natural caverns/ cave rivers in with his dungeon and the result was nice looking. I think brogue and ADOM did this to a degree.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #6184
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,161 Posts
    I think brogue and ADOM did this to a degree.
    ADOM has 2 kinds of levels: regular dungeons and caverns. The caverns are literally just regular dungeons with some kind of cellular automata on top of it. Rivers don't care where they go, they're just horizontal or vertical and disregard walls and such entirely, they just dig through them. It's kinda sucky, actually.

Edited:

3 kinds, I forgot mazes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #6185
    Gold Member

February 2005
    3,376 Posts
    I'm no expert by any means, but because I've been working on this exact thing for the past few days I'll share my thoughts.

First, read through this.

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/...ap-generation/

My first pass is with perlin noise to determine if the tile is land or water.

Then, I separate fresh water from salt water using a simple flood fill technique. If the water is connected to the grid edge, its salt.

Elevation is calculated from the distance to the closest ocean tile.

Then, I run more perlin noise over the elevation result to make it look more natural.

I calculate moisture by the distance to the closest fresh water tile.

Then, using both the moisture value and elevation value you can create your biomes.

Right now I'm using just a 2D array for all the calculations, but this approach is pretty shitty. On a 256x256 grid it takes like 3 minutes to generate a map (un-optimized as shit tho). I highly suggest using polygons as described in that article I linked.
    Interesting read.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement in XNA which is what I'm using right now, plus half the stuff you said I'm not really sure how I would actually go about getting it into code.

Although I would like the world to not take hours to generate, time isn't so much of an issue since its more of a one off thing to be run on a single serve rather than something that will be regularly used. On that note it would be cool to make a proper start to finish thing one day but I don't mind taking shortcuts, i.e. adding in manual editing functions so I can create the sea and tweak the land how I want it.

This is also an interesting read, especially on generating an island, and could easily be applied to a tile based game. It also has other sections on wind, humidity etc.

By the way, I'm interested what is meant by applying more perlin noise, what process does this involve exactly to merge the new noise with the current map?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

26. Post #6186
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,795 Posts
    If you have a 2d array containing the elevation data, just run the perlin noise function again with a new seed and a lower maximum height and add the result to your original data.

27. Post #6187
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,161 Posts
    I apparently made a really glitchy eye of the beholder style dungeon... thing at 4-5am last night. Uploaded just because it's hilarious and broken.

Edited:

if you can tell what's going on you probably have superpowers because I don't even know half the time. I added the minimap just because it's impossible to figure anything out otherwise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

28. Post #6188
    Gold Member

December 2009
    906 Posts
    Someone broke into our garden a few days ago so I reacted by putting up a camera using my Raspberry Pi, motion and a few simple APIs.
    Logs to MySQL:

It's sends an email to me:

Ignore the spam thing, I added it to a nospam filter.

It sends a notification to the XBMC instance on my TV:

and it also sends a text message to me and my brother using Twilio. inb4 false positives

edit: more pics:

FUCKING WASHING: http://jamiehankins.co.uk/screenshot...0731202338.swf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 15Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

29. Post #6189
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,999 Posts
    Someone broke into our garden a few days ago so I reacted by putting up a camera using my Raspberry Pi, motion and a few simple APIs.

It's sends an email to me:

Ignore the spam thing, I added it to a nospam filter.

It sends a notification to the XBMC instance on my TV:

and it also sends a text message to me and my brother using Twilio. inb4 false positives
    And your twitter too, apparently ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #6190
    Gold Member

December 2009
    906 Posts
    And your twitter too, apparently ;)
    Heh. I was toying with the idea before I started using Twilio but the push times were too slow so they'd be gone by the time I got an alert
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #6191
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,740 Posts
    Did I ever mention how much I fucking love LINQ?

attributes =
    	from t in Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetTypes()
    	where t.Namespace == assetNamespace && t.IsClass
    	from a in t.GetCustomAttributes(typeof(AssetTypeAttribute), false).Cast<AssetTypeAttribute>()
    	select a;

This returns an IEnumerable<AssetTypeAttribute> which contains all the attributes given to classes in a specific namesapce.

The attribute includes all information necessary to deserialize an asset (a string to match from a JSON asset's "type" property and a Type that Json.NET can deserialize and that has a CreateAsset method)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 2 (list)

32. Post #6192
    Dennab
    July 2009
    12,246 Posts
    Made my luvit webserver require root but remove its privileges down to a user it creates. Nifty.

33. Post #6193
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,287 Posts

Animated textures! (Powered by Lua)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

34. Post #6194
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,467 Posts

Text! (It's all deprecated OpenGL...)

The problem I had with this is that I didn't set TextureMinFilter and TextureMagFilter, which somehow resulted is a solid colour.

In the image I'm drawing four strings, an int and DateTime.Now with a default style that uses .ToString() and the system colours and font.

It runs on top of OOTK, so textures are cleaned up automatically.

(I attached the visuals with a ConditionalWeakTable, which is not optimal with value types. I may have to cache the boxed values in those cases.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #6195
    August 2009
    570 Posts

Animated textures! (Powered by Lua)
    Wait, wait, wait. What is this music from?

36. Post #6196
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    3,287 Posts
    Wait, wait, wait. What is this music from?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #6197
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    1,096 Posts
    I'm not sure if this counts for anything compared to what you guys have done, but it's something.

I finally got around to compiling Jagged Alliance 2 v1.13 and it runs perfectly fine. The first thing I changed in the code was music that plays.

Instead of just 2 musics playing (BATTLE_A_MUSIC, TENSOR_A_MUSIC), I extended it to five. Now I have BATTLE_A,B,C,D,E, and removed the TENSOR music. I hope to test it and see if it will work in the morning. It's mostly music from different Metal Gear Solid games.

My To Do list:
    Special music for bosses
    Implementing OpenGL
    Adding 3d models
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

38. Post #6198
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,819 Posts
    I fucking hate having to use Microsoft Detours

Since they provide it in some broken indecipherable installer, you have to scourage your system for wherever the fuck it decided to place the files this time and get it to work manually

Oh thank god, found it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Detours Express
    Why dont they just ship it in a fucking zip package like everybody else
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #6199
    LITTLE PREB FAGGOT
    January 2012
    889 Posts
    I fucking hate having to use Microsoft Detours

Since they provide it in some broken indecipherable installer, you have to scourage your system for wherever the fuck it decided to place the files this time and get it to work manually

Oh thank god, found it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Research\Detours Express
    Why dont they just ship it in a fucking zip package like everybody else
    Are you using detours express 3.0?
    I find that detours 1.5 are the easiest to use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #6200
    June 2010
    1,566 Posts
    Oh man have you guys seen this?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 49Late x 4Agree x 2Useful x 1Funny x 1Informative x 1Artistic x 1 (list)