1. Post #6361
    Dennab
    June 2008
    20,723 Posts
    and this is exactly what i mean by "the future setting is not interesting enough"

oh hey in the future they have caseless ammo
    woo thats pretty fucking interesting, right?

now compare it to IN THE FUTURE THERE ARE RAILGUN TANKS and REFRACTION CAMO and SMALL, PERSONAL FLYING VEHICLES FOR TRANSPORT

it should be something slightly silly but with enough fake science in it to be realistic in its own universe
    something between a2 and bf2142 would be cool, imo

i dont see this working in arma:

but something like this, fantasy but not super stylized couldve worked

no you...what?

The railgun tank is amazingly overhyped. It's a frighteningly loud ultrafast tank gun. IF it's done right it has good potential but it is what it is.

Edited:

And again 2142 isn't the only example of "realistic" (which it is not lmao why do people refer to it like that) future game. Hard sci-fi could get you those aesthetics and is a pretty all encompassing genre.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #6362
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,530 Posts
    Could anyone here host a Warfare server running ace? I'm gonna play with a pal l8r and I can't host it myself (lagg overload)
    Yeah, server's up, filter for Facepunch, password is: fp

And I don't touch multiplayer because I enjoy the editor far too much. That's pretty much it. Along with the netcode troubles.

TL;DR It's got issues and my incredibly selfish view as someone that only really plays SP I'm confident they're going to be ironed out eventually and im very happy with the game as it is.
    That's just an astoundingly poor excuse for not playing multiplayer. If I drag your ass in a 50 man Fallujah insurgency in put you in the middle of it, you'll forget which button launches singleplayer.

Edited:

Can i ask Why is six bad?
    It's not bad - SIX Updater's the best way to get mods in ARMA 2. SIX Launcher's a massive piece of defunct shit though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Bulgaria Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #6363

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,419 Posts
    And again 2142 isn't the only example of "realistic" (which it is not lmao why do people refer to it like that) future game. Hard sci-fi could get you those aesthetics and is a pretty all encompassing genre.
    i dont think 2142 is the "realistic" type of scifi (lmao!!!!!!!!!!!) either, which is why i clearly said

i dont see this working in arma
    i'd rather have some good hard scifi than exaggerated ultra future stuff that i dont really think would fit in with arma

the railgun tank would add some much needed variety and creativity to a3's dumb boring future setting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #6364

July 2013
    8,537 Posts
    That's just an astoundingly poor excuse for not playing multiplayer. If I drag your ass in a 50 man Fallujah insurgency in put you in the middle of it, you'll forget which button launches singleplayer.
    Fallujah insurgency, crikey its been a while, need to play fallujah sometime soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #6365
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    878 Posts
    I just wish ArmA was kept as a fairly present date military semi-sim and nothing more. I'm not complaining about A3, I'm enjoying it as much as I can muster. But with the little content so far I feel it could have been added as an expansion (ala BMF/Mercs in A2).

I just hate trying to find the LMG in a list of weapons when I cant just spot M249 from miles away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6366
    Gold Member

September 2011
    6,290 Posts
    i'd rather have some good hard scifi than exaggerated ultra future stuff that i dont really think would fit in with arma
    This, exactly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #6367
    Get out of here, G.A.R.R.Y.
    March 2010
    924 Posts
    Yeah, server's up, filter for Facepunch, password is: fp
    I can't find it, did you shut it down?

(i dont need it yet lol sorry for not saying so)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

8. Post #6368
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,453 Posts
    Is there a setting I can adjust to get A3 to load the higher detail models of foliage and buildings at a longer distance? It seems like I have to be right next to something, staring at it to get the game to load above the low-res model.

One of my RAM sticks burned out so I'm only running 4 gigs, could that be contributing? Otherwise the game runs great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #6369
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    7,530 Posts
    I can't find it, did you shut it down?

(i dont need it yet lol sorry for not saying so)
    Yeah, I had to restart - just PM me when you need it, no problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Bulgaria Show Events

10. Post #6370
    Dennab
    May 2012
    1,927 Posts
    One of my RAM sticks burned out so I'm only running 4 gigs, could that be contributing? Otherwise the game runs great.
    unless everything else you have open is using over 2 GB of RAM, no that can't be a factor. arma 3 has a hard limit of 2 GB of RAM. it won't use any more than that, ever. the only setting that could affect that is the objects quality, not the object render distance slider but the actually quality setting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

11. Post #6371
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    10,453 Posts
    unless everything else you have open is using over 2 GB of RAM, no that can't be a factor. arma 3 has a hard limit of 2 GB of RAM. it won't use any more than that, ever. the only setting that could affect that is the objects quality, not the object render distance slider but the actually quality setting.
    Ugh, so I can't get objects to load higher than the ultra-low res models unless I bump up the maximum detail that everything can load to?

12. Post #6372
    Dennab
    May 2012
    1,927 Posts
    Ugh, so I can't get objects to load higher than the ultra-low res models unless I bump up the maximum detail that everything can load to?
    not with the in game settings at least. there might be something you can do with the config files but I wouldn't know where to start with that.

edit: it's not exactly what you're looking for but if you want to make terrain in the distance look better there's this mod:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...re-replacement

it replaces the mid range terrain textures with more detailed ones, near zero performance cost.

you can also try turning Anisotropic Filtering all the way up. sometimes it can make distant textures look a little bit better. if you have an nvidia GPU you can set Texture filtering to High Quality in the nvidia control panel.

13. Post #6373
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,412 Posts
    but something like this, fantasy but not super stylized couldve worked

That shotgun is just waaay too overengineered. That's what I don't like about a lot of 'futuristic' stuff. Completely pointless angles and curves that serve no purpose.

Hawken is a good example of what realistic futuristic can look like, imo

It looks like someone took an abrams and gave it legs. Then tried to actually protect those legs. It's even got all the things you'd expect to find on military vehicle like smoke launchers and an optics thing not unlike the Apache.

I still think the super thin waists on these things looks stupid as hell though. If someone made a combat mech in real life it'd be as squat as they could make it, and almost certainly wouldn't have arms. A cannon flush with the body would make more sense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Winner Winner x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #6374
    Poor people are peasants
    October 2012
    1,409 Posts
    I want a mod where I can be airdropped into a city filled with zombies(lol) and purge the city. Then throw a flare and be airlifted back to a military base.. DayZ isn't anything like this. :(

15. Post #6375
    Dennab
    May 2012
    1,927 Posts
    I want a mod where I can be airdropped into a city filled with zombies(lol) and purge the city. Then throw a flare and be airlifted back to a military base.. DayZ isn't anything like this. :(
    this is so easy to make. just use this zombie script example:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/23066584/Zombie.Stratis.

pick a town, place the zombie units, make a trigger around the town that activates when no civs are present, link it to an objective module and a move order for a chopper, get in the chopper, mission complete. if you want to do the intricacies like actually being lifted to a base and having to throw a flare you can do that too, there are plenty of guides for the editor.

16. Post #6376
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,899 Posts

pick a town, place the zombie units, make a trigger around the town that activates when no civs are present, link it to an objective module and a move order for a chopper, get in the chopper, mission complete. if you want to do the intricacies like actually being lifted to a base and having to throw a flare you can do that too, there are plenty of guides for the editor.
    Thank you
    This is exactly the script I've been looking for
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

17. Post #6377
    Dennab
    June 2008
    20,723 Posts
    That shotgun is just waaay too overengineered. That's what I don't like about a lot of 'futuristic' stuff. Completely pointless angles and curves that serve no purpose.

Hawken is a good example of what realistic futuristic can look like, imo

It looks like someone took an abrams and gave it legs. Then tried to actually protect those legs. It's even got all the things you'd expect to find on military vehicle like smoke launchers and an optics thing not unlike the Apache.

I still think the super thin waists on these things looks stupid as hell though. If someone made a combat mech in real life it'd be as squat as they could make it, and almost certainly wouldn't have arms. A cannon flush with the body would make more sense.
    Oh holy shit why do people try to bring up Hawken.

I don't honestly know where people get this idea. Hawken has a very distinct art style (that is to say, clutter + greeble). It doesn't even want to be realistic, especially since the game is about as complex as Counter Strike.

Edited:

That is quite literally one of the only justifiably designed mechs in the game, and even then it still is very clearly designed to conform to the rest of the game's art style. Why the hell would any engineer design such an armored chassis and then balance more than half of its mass on top of a miniscule, exposed motor that is 1/4th the width of the rest of the vehicle.

Edited:

That ERA would annihilate its own optics suite.

Edited:

Why is the cockpit front and center? It has no physical lens optics feeding into the cabin. The pilot can sit wherever, and behind the rest of the mech in the back would be a much more sensible position.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #6378
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,412 Posts
    Oh holy shit why do people try to bring up Hawken.

I don't honestly know where people get this idea. Hawken has a very distinct art style (that is to say, clutter + greeble). It doesn't even want to be realistic, especially since the game is about as complex as Counter Strike.

Edited:

That is quite literally one of the only justifiably designed mechs in the game, and even then it still is very clearly designed to conform to the rest of the game's art style. Why the hell would any engineer design such an armored chassis and then balance more than half of its mass on top of a miniscule, exposed motor that is 1/4th the width of the rest of the vehicle.

Edited:

That ERA would annihilate its own optics suite.

Edited:

Why is the cockpit front and center? It has no physical lens optics feeding into the cabin. The pilot can sit wherever, and behind the rest of the mech in the back would be a much more sensible position.
    I never said it was sensible, but it's much more realistic than this, what with all the greebling on it that sort of makes sense if it was a military mech (with the optics and the smoke launchers and the slopes armour and all the other little things):

Glass cockpit front and center, chicken legs. One burst from a KPVT could take this out.

Or this:

I think Battlefield 2142 nailed what a realistic walker would look like.

It's squat, it's short, it's bulky, its weapons are flush with the hull, the legs are relatively thick, it doesn't have (too many) pointless curves and angles like most mechs. Although I think an autocannon, a coax and some FFAR would be a better armament for it as opposed to some miniguns and the ATGM things that they got given, although that was probably for balance.

Edit:

ARMA Series (I, II, III) - Mech discussion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #6379

July 2013
    8,537 Posts
    We are forgetting,

LETS TALK MECHS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #6380
    Poor people are peasants
    October 2012
    1,409 Posts

Sweet didn't realize how simple it was. I'll try and make it feel like a movie.

21. Post #6381
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,899 Posts

actually nevermind, this only seems to work on one zombie
    all the others just act like regular civilians
    anyone know how to fix it?

22. Post #6382
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    20,565 Posts
    mechs make pretty much zero sense in real life and don't really belong in a simulator
    they're fun to have in less realistic games although I tend to prefer fast mechs over fat and cumbersome ones
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #6383
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,899 Posts
    nevermind, i fixed it, and also added another sound
    link in a second
    but now can anyone tell me how to auto run the script on every civilian, instead of pasting it in their inits one by one?

Edited:

my automerge

Edited:

bloop
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ze1dzlt7qslvvq/MtdldSHsGA

Edited:

eh, nevermind, this script needs a lot more work
    it works flawlessly, until you kill a few zombies, then all the rest pretty much stop chasing you, just stare at you and growl
    p creepy, but not desired zombie behavior

24. Post #6384
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    216 Posts
    We need to play again so we can test out if the changes I made to my mission actual fixed it not ending correctly for everyone. I want to make more missions for us to play but I feel like there's no point if I don't know if they're going to work correctly.

25. Post #6385
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,412 Posts
    mechs make pretty much zero sense in real life and don't really belong in a simulator
    they're fun to have in less realistic games although I tend to prefer fast mechs over fat and cumbersome ones
    I've been thinking about this.

There's pretty much nothing that a walker can do that a tank couldn't do better, but I'm thinking in rough terrain like a thick jungle or in very mountainous areas where you couldn't put a tracked/wheeled vehicle they might have an advantage. You could have heavy equipment like autocannons and FFAR in areas where you wouldn't normally be able to have them. This is of course assuming the legs on them were any good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events

26. Post #6386
    Dennab
    October 2012
    4,773 Posts
    That's why the futuristic stuff should be a mod.

(someone please make arma 2142 please)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events

27. Post #6387
    Dennab
    June 2008
    20,723 Posts
    The thing with mechs is so long as the game/movie/book can suspend your disbelief of their existence in the first place, there are plenty of ways to design a mech so that it's structurally sound and tactically useful. Everyone has heard the "why mechs aren't a good idea" spiel, but mechs are cool and again, they can be done right.

Exosuits are good ideas though, so humanoid sized mechs are really not out of the question for a game regardless of any kind of fictional justification.

Edited:

Yet again Elysium provides a good example of what it is that I mean.

28. Post #6388
    ☂☂☂☂ ☂☂☂ ☂☂ _☂_
    January 2005
    24,209 Posts
    nevermind, i fixed it, and also added another sound
    link in a second
    but now can anyone tell me how to auto run the script on every civilian, instead of pasting it in their inits one by one?

Edited:

my automerge

Edited:

bloop
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ze1dzlt7qslvvq/MtdldSHsGA

Edited:

eh, nevermind, this script needs a lot more work
    it works flawlessly, until you kill a few zombies, then all the rest pretty much stop chasing you, just stare at you and growl
    p creepy, but not desired zombie behavior
    why are you coding in .sqs?

init.sqf
    Code:
    waitUntil {time > 0};
    {
      if (side _x == CIVILIAN) then  {
        [_x] exec "Zombied.sqs";
      };
    }forEach allUnits;
    and the reason they stop chasing you is probably because you've killed too many civilians and joined the "ENEMY" side (which is an extremly weird and might i even say dumb solution)
    to fix try this

Code:
    while {true} do {
      if (rating player < 0) then {
        player addRating (abs (rating player));
      };
      sleep 0.5;
    };
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #6389
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,899 Posts
    thanks
    also it's sqs because that's what the original one was
    some dude on the bi forums answering some other dude's question

30. Post #6390
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    16,220 Posts
    Speaking of mechs I would totally make a Zoids mod for Arma if I had any knowledge of how to do that stuff. I mean look at how many guns some of these things pack

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

31. Post #6391
    FOSSILIZED SHIT MAGGOT INFERNO
    August 2010
    2,988 Posts
    Speaking of mechs I would totally make a Zoids mod for Arma if I had any knowledge of how to do that stuff. I mean look at how many guns some of these things pack
    -images-
    Part of me thinks that's hilarious and stupid.

But part of me really wants to see it happen because ARMA's ballistics and explosions would make it amazing.

32. Post #6392
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,899 Posts
    gundams would be 100 times sicker than zoids tho
    just sayin

Edited:

or robotech
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #6393
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,372 Posts
    Guys, guys, guys.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

34. Post #6394
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    250 Posts
    You guys have it all wrong. We need this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #6395
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    12,227 Posts
    Uberslug, you should finish your FCLAPD mech and put it in arma for us
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #6396
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,372 Posts
    It's TH89's and as far as I know, it's finished.

Someone who knows how to put shit in ArmA should but it in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Show Events

37. Post #6397
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    12,227 Posts
    oh right yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #6398
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts
    if there's going to be robots in arma

there are only two viable options

or

or gundams, those are awesome as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

39. Post #6399
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    907 Posts
    Not the Iron Giant.. too sad ; (
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #6400
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2010
    4,777 Posts
    Battleye is being a bitch and does not update, I tried updating manually but for some magical reason it still is version 1.205 and not 07 even after getting the .dll files from battleye.com What the fuck am I doing wrong?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Germany Show Events