1. Post #361
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    Damn that really got out of control
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brunei Darussalam Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #362
    August 2009
    1,578 Posts
    I apologize for interjecting in to an issue I'm not involved in, but I love me some drama. So I'm just gonna throw my opinions out there.

- Patronizing someone is just flaming while pretending you're smarter. Doing so doesn't make you immune to criticism for flaming, Manibogi. And trying to act smarter doesn't make you smarter. Seriously, ease up on being such a patronizing cunt, it only incites arguments further.

- People come up with designs all the time, Sparkwire. Ertz has enough unique designs for me to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he simply wasn't aware of Svdl's. And if they are knock-offs, so what? Models are art, and as long as he didn't outright steal the models, which I'm pretty sure he didn't do, then all it comes down to is vision and practice. Everyone is entitled to their vision, and their practice. They're both nice-looking models that look like a lot of work went in to them. Admittedly, I prefer Svdl's. The wood colors, while imperfect, are nicer/less harsh than Ertz's. Only thing I'd get rid of is the tan ammo thingy on the butt, which I prefer your model for Ertz. Regardless of which I personally prefer, however, having your vision and hardwork bullied out of the showroom probably hurts pretty badly. That's the only reason I want to post this, really. Constructive criticism is one thing, but outright attacking someone because a friend of yours did something similar first is just kind of cruel. Creating TF2 items isn't a secret club, but it's a very difficult ordeal to learn and confront, and should be encouraged.

Svdl/his work is inspiration to a lot of people, so similarities will be there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #363
    March 2012
    1,428 Posts
    I'm really grumpy, anybody up for a fight?
    xoxo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

4. Post #364
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    Submitting items on the workshop implies intent to profit from it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brunei Darussalam Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    August 2009
    1,578 Posts
    Submitting items on the workshop implies intent to profit from it
    And the better model will, rightfully, profit.

If Valve ever decides to add more items.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    2,364 Posts
    When Svdl submitted the Liquidator's Lid, a Léon hat/glasses combo made by Insaneicide (and suggested by me) had been sitting around on the workshop for several months. I don't know how Insaneicide feels, but I personally think Svdl's version of the idea looks great and I'm happy that it got into the game. Stuff like this happens all the time, there's no need to be suspicious about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    11,202 Posts
    Is there a way to display blu team on the loadout screen instead of red?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    And the better model will, rightfully, profit.

If Valve ever decides to add more items.
    Oh sorry I misread "outright steal it" as "outright sell it"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brunei Darussalam Show Events

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    3,336 Posts
    In game, if you're on blu team and go to the class select menu and then press edit loadout for whatever class you want to see, they will appear blue on the loadout screen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #370
    August 2009
    1,578 Posts
    Join BLU team, open the class selection screen and click 'Edit loadout'. It'll take you to the BLU loadout screen for your current class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #371
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    11,202 Posts
    In game, if you're on blu team and go to the class select menu and then press edit loadout for whatever class you want to see, they will appear blue on the loadout screen
    I know about the joining blue to view blue in the loadout screen, I'm trying to make it so it always displays blue unless I am on red team.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #372
    Does anyone know of any tf2 player model rigging tutorials for Blender? I checked the links to tutorials on the OP but It didn't have what I was looking for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #373
    March 2013
    64 Posts
    Does anyone know of any tf2 player model rigging tutorials for Blender? I checked the links to tutorials on the OP but It didn't have what I was looking for.
    It's pretty much the same as weapon rigging. Import the character you want to rig, look at the various vertex groups that are imported with it to determine what regions of the character are assigned to what bones, and assign the appropriate vertices of your model to the character. For hats, that usually tends to be bip_head, but for anything that goes on the chest, it'll be using the bip_spine series of bones, bip_medal, and bip_collar_l and _r. Depending on the character, it can also use bip_canister or bip_grenade. Just check the vertex groups and you'll be fine.

14. Post #374
    September 2012
    219 Posts
    Anybody up for your favorite...
    Engineer is a Texan! I am a Texan also! What is the most common rodent I see? A damn popped armadillo laying in the road!
    Armadillo for Engie's Pocket? With different options?

I asked some people they said it would be cute if he wore a little hat. But I would rather have a regular armadillo {roadkill?} without hats and weapons.

Looks like a Blaholtzen...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #375
    April 2012
    5,138 Posts
    I read that as Dosey's Dildo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Argentina Show Events Informative Informative x 6Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #376
    March 2013
    396 Posts
    Eh as far as concepts go not a fan of the face, especially the visible/overly pronounced mouth. Makes him look less cute and a bit too pig/warthog like in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    9,961 Posts
    kinda bored, haven't really been keeping up with tf2 as of late, anyone got any concepts or ideas to model?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Anonymous Proxy Show Events

18. Post #378
    March 2013
    64 Posts

Another attempt at fixing the texture. Ended up looking at basically every clothing texture I could find in the game to try and get it right this time. Most people wanted to keep the original colors, so I left those in. Also added some dirty areas to give it a bit more character. Agree for "Lookin' decent!" and Disagree for "Try again." Comment for pretty much anything else that might be bugging you guys. I try my best to take opinions into account.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 2 (list)

19. Post #379
    January 2013
    1,419 Posts
    kinda bored, haven't really been keeping up with tf2 as of late, anyone got any concepts or ideas to model?
    I had some posted two Emporiums ago, Very Basic looking with no hat or Misc.

So just weapons, Who wants to see that? Bleh...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

20. Post #380
    INFERIOR CROCODILE ALLIGATOR
    January 2010
    1,854 Posts
    shit, I haven't been to the Emporium in forever

After a while of either internet disappearance and computer issues, I make a grand return to the rp. Can't wait to dispense my shitty-ass opinions like I did four months ago! But before that, I offer a request.

Can I please have the LET'S DO THE FORK IN THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL/DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING at around 1:50 as a sound replacement for the Brass Beast? The first part for the wind-up, and the dings for the firing noise, please. If it's already been made, can one please direct it to me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #381
    Get off my rocks, you damn kids!
    January 2012
    1,752 Posts
    I finally got off my ass for a change

Not really, I did it all while sitting down   
    Technically halfway done (I did the sniper's texture too, but HLMV has the Villain's Veil permanently attached to him) considering the pyro doesn't have teeth
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts

Another attempt at fixing the texture. Ended up looking at basically every clothing texture I could find in the game to try and get it right this time. Most people wanted to keep the original colors, so I left those in. Also added some dirty areas to give it a bit more character. Agree for "Lookin' decent!" and Disagree for "Try again." Comment for pretty much anything else that might be bugging you guys. I try my best to take opinions into account.
    Needs much less phong

Edited:

I finally got off my ass for a change

Not really, I did it all while sitting down   
    Technically halfway done (I did the sniper's texture too, but HLMV has the Villain's Veil permanently attached to him) considering the pyro doesn't have teeth
    You can remove the veil with regedit

Also gold tooth on demoman das racist
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brunei Darussalam Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

23. Post #383
    Get off my rocks, you damn kids!
    January 2012
    1,752 Posts
    Also gold tooth on demoman das racist
    Fixed it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    It's pretty much the same as weapon rigging. Import the character you want to rig, look at the various vertex groups that are imported with it to determine what regions of the character are assigned to what bones, and assign the appropriate vertices of your model to the character. For hats, that usually tends to be bip_head, but for anything that goes on the chest, it'll be using the bip_spine series of bones, bip_medal, and bip_collar_l and _r. Depending on the character, it can also use bip_canister or bip_grenade. Just check the vertex groups and you'll be fine.
    I have never rigged in my life, so all I see is a bunch of bone names.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,476 Posts

I started working on a remake of the Spy knife I made last year. This version has a reduced polycount, fixed smoothing, and a few cosmetic tweaks. Texture still WIP. Any feedback/criticisms?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

26. Post #386
    March 2013
    396 Posts
    I have never rigged in my life, so all I see is a bunch of bone names.
    Are you trying to rig a misc item to go on a character or an entire character model?

If it's the former and you haven't gone through it already, try helljumper's blender tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5QGx2TP_8
    Which explains how to make, rig and compile a simple hat. The process for getting a misc using only one bone ingame is the same (just use a different bone).

27. Post #387
    Flamboyant Homosexual
    September 2011
    2,455 Posts
    shit, I haven't been to the Emporium in forever

After a while of either internet disappearance and computer issues, I make a grand return to the rp. Can't wait to dispense my shitty-ass opinions like I did four months ago! But before that, I offer a request.

Can I please have the LET'S DO THE FORK IN THE GARBAGE DISPOSAL/DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING at around 1:50 as a sound replacement for the Brass Beast? The first part for the wind-up, and the dings for the firing noise, please. If it's already been made, can one please direct it to me?
    WAAAAAAAAY back in the 40's Emporiums, there was a minigun replacement sound for it. You should just need to change the name of the sound files to match with the brass beast. (logically speaking)

EDIT: Turns out he uploaded it to TF2Mods also, that was quicker to find. http://tf2mods.net/mod.php?id=360

28. Post #388
    December 2011
    1,742 Posts

Make sure to turn on normal mapping when using hlmv. Otherwise, if you do have a bump map/normal map being used as a phongmask, it wont show and people may make false statements about the phong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #389
    Are you trying to rig a misc item to go on a character or an entire character model?

If it's the former and you haven't gone through it already, try helljumper's blender tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5QGx2TP_8
    Which explains how to make, rig and compile a simple hat. The process for getting a misc using only one bone ingame is the same (just use a different bone).
    An entire Character model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #390
    March 2013
    396 Posts
    An entire Character model.
    Ah. Can't really help you then sorry. Might be a good idea to try and rig something simpler first?

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    1,742 Posts
    makin an oil can for engy, based on sirfrootcups idea

http://p3d.in/LY2tW

any crits?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

32. Post #392
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    8,862 Posts

any crits?
    There.

The handle seems to be very thin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Zing x 5Funny x 1Late x 1Friendly x 1Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #393
    Horrible at Shooters
    August 2012
    1,467 Posts
    I'm trying to hide hats so sniping is easier. I commented every model_player line in items_game.txt as a test, it hides weapon worldmodels, but not hats. What gives?

34. Post #394
    September 2012
    219 Posts

any crits?
    Very, very nice!!! That website is very nice too! People need to use that more often.

Edited:

I'm trying to hide hats so sniping is easier. I commented every model_player line in items_game.txt as a test, it hides weapon worldmodels, but not hats. What gives?
    I don't even think that would help you snipe better...why bother, I am pretty sure that there is a mod for that.

(User was permabanned for this post ("Another alt of bloodfart" - postal))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #395
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,237 Posts
    I thought items_game.txt only dealt with items with stats, like weapons?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #396
    March 2013
    64 Posts
    Make sure to turn on normal mapping when using hlmv. Otherwise, if you do have a bump map/normal map being used as a phongmask, it wont show and people may make false statements about the phong.
    I hadn't worked on my phongmask at that point. Wanted to get the colors right and get paint working first. I've got a much better phongmask now, with basically no light reflecting from the tie, and as much as is realistically possible (and matching with the Pyro's suit) from the collar and metal bits. I'll post a picture once I get a perfect phong working. But he was dead on. There wasn't any phong control at all on my model.

37. Post #397
    Horrible at Shooters
    August 2012
    1,467 Posts
    I don't even think that would help you snipe better...why bother, I am pretty sure that there is a mod for that.
    There was, but it's out of date now.

Hats make sniping harder because the head shape becomes less representative of the head hitbox.

38. Post #398
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,237 Posts
    There was, but it's out of date now.

Hats make sniping harder because the head shape becomes less representative of the head hitbox.
    The head hitbox is quite large, so the best way to do it would be to get a mod that replaces player's heads with the correct head-hitbox size. Most hats do in fact fit inside of the hitbox anyways.

39. Post #399
    Horrible at Shooters
    August 2012
    1,467 Posts
    The head hitbox is quite large, so the best way to do it would be to get a mod that replaces player's heads with the correct head-hitbox size. Most hats do in fact fit inside of the hitbox anyways.
    It would be pretty nice if everyone was a set of walking hitboxes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #400
    November 2010
    589 Posts
    I believe he means it looks a lot like this one

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=102497108
    Not to revive the drama, but I have to comment: yes it has a shield, but it doesn't look like the same to me.

Now, carry on modding guys!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)