1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    4,786 Posts
    On Saturday, the teen (whose name has not been released) spent 90 minutes standing at a busy intersection with a hand-written sign describing her sins.

It read: "Iím a self-entitled teenager w/no respect for authority. Iím also super smart, yet I have 3 'Dís' because I DONíT CARE."
    http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/par...184517447.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 41Funny x 18Friendly x 7Starred x 3Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    May 2010
    3,746 Posts
    Really good way to make a child respect you and not just fear you.

sarcasm   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 63Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,707 Posts
    Renee Nickell told the Northwest Florida Daily News that the family has had a hard time since Renee's brother was killed in Afghanistan in December 2011. Her kids were close to him and his family, she explained, even taking vacations together. Since losing her uncle, Renee's 13-year-old has become more defiant at home and at school, and her grades have dropped.

"We just felt like she just kind of gave up," Renee told the newspaper.
    So they decide to punish her because she lost her will? Nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 119Agree Agree x 15Starred Starred x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2009
    306 Posts
    What's the point of these kinds of punishments? Shaming and humiliating your own child like that. I seriously don't get the thought process of parents who think this is a good idea to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 80Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    November 2006
    6,641 Posts
    Well I see a lot of problems with this. Making her hold a sign, because she lost her uncle. That's idiotic. They needed to treat her fairly, she lost someone, she's feeling down but they need to respect what she is feeling, but HELP her feel better.

Shit, I'd be a good parent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    39,999 Posts
    or maybe she has shitty parents that dont understand her problems and instead react with condescension

Iím also super smart, yet I have 3 'Dís' because I DONíT CARE
    yeah maybe she doesnt care, and thats probably not her fault
    because shes 13
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    2,578 Posts
    Loved one gets killed overseas, and as a result, the kid's grades SOMEHOW slip. Instead of guiding her through hard times or getting her a counselor, they humiliate her in public.

Why isnt CPS getting involved?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 69Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Hello everyone! I would like you to know that I am not a fan of nudity!!!
    May 2009
    3,686 Posts
    I think no-one here has enough information to say, maybe she is a silly 13-year-old that thinks she's way cleverer than she actually is, maybe her parents are being cunts, we don't know, further speculation isn't going to help
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    They didn't forbid her from attending activities at church, they said, because the activities were supposed to reinforce the Christian values they were struggling to instill in her.
    There now nobody on facepunch will agree with the parents
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brunei Darussalam Show Events Funny Funny x 55Agree Agree x 6Zing Zing x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,485 Posts
    This is the problem with alot of parenting. It's reactionary. Instead of trying to see the underlying problem or to actually teach, or perhaps even come to a consensus or understanding, parents instead attack their children with humiliation or fear, which does not make them understand or encourage them to strive for better solutions, but instead to fear retaliation for what they see as logical or proper. That is not teaching, or making your child better, that's coercion and force to push them into line. This is why kids in America are so uneducated- they're taught at home and in school to jump when told and totally forsaken when they step out of line, or forceably or socially made to jump, instead of worked with or guided voluntarily in a way that allows them to explore themselves and the world, and learn from it. Generally negative behavior can be dealt with, but only if we're open to working with those who enact it. There is no working with the kid here, there is not learning. There is only coercion. The kid will not end up better, but instead either be alienated further from her home life, or forced into the mindset that "it's right to abide by those who can hurt me, because they can hurt me."

edit: This isn't about whether the kid actually did something wrong, it's about the way that parents handle it. The problem wouldn't be there in the first place if the proper measures were taken beforehand and after. The kid may be a total ass, it doesn't matter, because the reaction is in the wrong no matter the circumstances (excluding extreme, I'm willing to say).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    2,578 Posts
    There now nobody on facepunch will agree with the parents
    I don't know who's worse the ones who constantly bitch about christianity or the ones who constantly bitch about people who bitch about christianity

We get it despite being the religious majority in the US you're somehow beleaguered and fighting for your right to worship, bringing it up doesn't make you any better
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    39,999 Posts
    we don't know, further speculation isn't going to help
    i think we're commenting on a thread, im sure we're all aware none of this is going to help
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

13. Post #13

February 2012
    872 Posts

(I hope that the mods get the reference)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 42Informative Informative x 3Starred Starred x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,604 Posts
    I think no-one here has enough information to say, maybe she is a silly 13-year-old that thinks she's way cleverer than she actually is, maybe her parents are being cunts, we don't know, further speculation isn't going to help
    you could say that about any news article, so lets not discuss anything ever.

15. Post #15
    Dennab
    July 2007
    43,766 Posts
    The sign should say "I feel like shit because my uncle died in a war and I have shitty parents does anyone else want to be my parents instead"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 38Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    9,744 Posts
    "hitchhiking to better parents land please pull over"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 32Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Missy Q
    June 2005
    12,714 Posts
    Just a nice daily reminder that the world is stuffed full of absolutely horrendous parents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

18. Post #18
    Here
    Dennab
    March 2013
    12,416 Posts
    Now she just hates her parents more and will be more compelled to lie/hide "sin" better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

19. Post #19
    September 2011
    1,720 Posts
    "hitchhiking to better parents land please pull over"
    "better parents land or bust"

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    13,721 Posts

THAT'S THE SIGN?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

21. Post #21
    September 2008
    1,063 Posts
    THAT'S THE SIGN?
    were you expecting something more?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    14,064 Posts
    Punishments like these just make the child sneakier, not more obedient.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    December 2012
    1,128 Posts
    I'm sorry, but... all I can think of is this.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 32Starred Starred x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,682 Posts

(I hope that the mods get the reference)
    damn it i was just going to post the original...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    And remember : respect is everything.
    April 2009
    2,054 Posts
    Never got the point of that kind of punishment. If my parents would have done that to me, I'd hate them to death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

26. Post #26
    Missy Q
    June 2005
    12,714 Posts
    Never got the point of that kind of punishment. If my parents would have done that to me, I'd hate them to death.
    I would probably call child services if my parent(s) told me to do this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    11,144 Posts
    So they can come visit every week for 6 months and try and deconstruct why you're abused so badly until they conclude that you really aren't being abused and the 6 months of shame, pain, and arguments was for literally nothing? Child services has better things to do than deal with these kinds of cases.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Missy Q
    June 2005
    12,714 Posts
    So they can come visit every week for 6 months and try and deconstruct why you're abused so badly until they conclude that you really aren't being abused and the 6 months of shame, pain, and arguments was for literally nothing? Child services has better things to do than deal with these kinds of cases.
    She's obviously going through depression or something due to recent deaths in the family and her own parents are putting her through forced public humiliation.

That's not life-threatening child mistreatment but it is child mistreatment nonetheless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    11,144 Posts
    Then you tell the parents to cut their shit out, you don't drop them into a half a year's worth of unneeded child services bullshit. That will have a worse effect on their family than anything those parents have done so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,781 Posts
    She's obviously going through depression or something due to recent deaths in the family and her own parents are putting her through forced public humiliation.

That's not life-threatening child mistreatment but it is child mistreatment nonetheless.
    They're more concerned with saving the kids that have to obey lest they get a frying pan to the face...literally...they're too understaffed to handle every case that needs their attention so they have to pick and choose, and the life-threatennig cases are the ones that get chosen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    11,144 Posts
    They're more concerned with saving the kids that have to obey lest they get a frying pan to the face...literally...they're too understaffed to handle every case that needs their attention so they have to pick and choose, and the life-threatennig cases are the ones that get chosen.
    Exactly. And when your fucking teacher threatens you with severe punishment if you don't explain the mark on your face, child services gets to visit you for 6 months and blame everything from the dog to my sister for why I don't do my schoolwork because that fucking teacher said my life was in danger. So while I'm being forced to stay with a family friend and having my family torn limb from limb for no reason, some kid who's actually being abused is SOL.

Don't bring child services into it unless there is literally a life threatening situation at hand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,422 Posts
    I don't know who's worse the ones who constantly bitch about christianity or the ones who constantly bitch about people who bitch about christianity

We get it despite being the religious majority in the US you're somehow beleaguered and fighting for your right to worship, bringing it up doesn't make you any better
    I'm not Christian lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brunei Darussalam Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,044 Posts
    no, you don't get it, it's all okay, guys
    they asked her if she was okay and she was all like "sure"
    that means that she's okay

totally not that she's just trying to hide her depression even more than before because she gets fucking punished for it
    nope nope nope

[sub][sub]I can sympathize with this girl, if you couldn't tell.[/sub][/sub]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    9,637 Posts
    So why is this getting so much bad media attention?
    That's one of the lightest punishments I've ever seen, and it's not like the parents are just abusing her because they're evil. They clearly at least love this kid and have good intentions.

Kids all over the place are getting beaten for stuff they'v done, and holding a sign for 90 minutes gets people calling for blood?

I'm not saying the parents are right, but if this is a mistake, it's not a detrimental one to say the least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    ffFf
    June 2005
    4,522 Posts

That's one of the lightest punishments I've ever seen, and it's not like the parents are just abusing her because they're evil. They clearly at least love this kid and have good intentions.

Kids all over the place are getting beaten for stuff they'v done, and holding a sign for 90 minutes gets people calling for blood?
    did you miss the part where the parents say her behaviour changed after her uncle died and instead of helping her deal with it they just publicly shame her
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    12,104 Posts
    Loved one gets killed overseas, and as a result, the kid's grades SOMEHOW slip. Instead of guiding her through hard times or getting her a counselor, they humiliate her in public.

Why isnt CPS getting involved?
    Too busy arresting kids who know gun safety.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,742 Posts
    That's a crazy overreaction and you'd be wasting CPS's time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    9,637 Posts
    did you miss the part where the parents say her behaviour changed after her uncle died and instead of helping her deal with it they just publicly shame her
    I'm aware of that, and I don't think they handled the situation right.

I'm just saying that it's not a bad punishment, and they still had good intentions. Because of that, I would assume that they're still generally good parents who just made a mistake.

"Why aren't CPS getting involved?"
    That type of reaction just seems more ridiculously off-base than what the parents did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,998 Posts
    It's pissing me off how many dick heads on the Yahoo comments section are actually applauding this shit. Instead of being criticized like they should, the parents are getting a standing ovation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    5,620 Posts

I'm not saying the parents are right, but if this is a mistake, it's not a detrimental one to say the least.
    Users are criticizing this since the parents are gloating about an ineffective practice. I think that the parent should handle it in a mature, beneficial, and critical manner since they've probably experienced depression.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)