1. Post #3721
    October 2013
    116 Posts
    speaking of DOG, wasn't the original model from the leak ported?, im prety sure i have his model some where
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #3722
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,620 Posts
    Can't you just re-uv it to match the old textures? Seems like significantly less islands with those textures.
    In theory, yes. In practice, ball-ache of a job. Also considering some of the old UV positions are crappy (giving stuff like stretching textures) It'd almost be better to retexture it almost from scratch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3723
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,406 Posts
    I think the source engine at the time couldn't apply textures above textures
    There are other ways to do it. Like each area with a number could be a submodel with 10 skins randomized by code. Kinda like Black Mesa facial generation system. Would be pretty lightweight and functional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Waterfox Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #3724
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    699 Posts
    There are other ways to do it. Like each area with a number could be a submodel with 10 skins randomized by code. Kinda like Black Mesa facial generation system. Would be pretty lightweight and functional.
    A skinfamily would be enough which is even more lightweight, and that's been a thing since Goldsrc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

5. Post #3725
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,406 Posts
    A skinfamily would be enough which is even more lightweight, and that's been a thing since Goldsrc.
    Oh yes, totally, but I mean, If we wanted to go with, let's say, full range of 3 digit numbers, then it still could be possible my way.

(I refer to these btw)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Waterfox Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #3726

October 2013
    738 Posts
    I think the source engine at the time couldn't apply textures above textures
    Decals (blood/holes, for example) are exactly that - a texture overlaying a texture. So how's that 'not possilbe for Source'?

Skins are less of a convinient way to go, because they'd take up more memory. With multiple skins on a model you have all the skins loaded at the same time. Why do that if you can instead project a decal on back of a soldier?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #3727
    May 2014
    392 Posts
    Hey I might remake some Half-Life 2 beta stuff for hard-surface practice. Send me some pics of stuff that'd look cool if it was redone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

8. Post #3728
    Dennab
    July 2010
    2,149 Posts
    Hey I might remake some Half-Life 2 beta stuff for hard-surface practice. Send me some pics of stuff that'd look cool if it was redone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Winner Winner x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #3729
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    699 Posts
    Skins are less of a convinient way to go, because they'd take up more memory. With multiple skins on a model you have all the skins loaded at the same time. Why do that if you can instead project a decal on back of a soldier?
    Let us say you just create 10 skins (one for each number from 0 to 9). They'll be around 3 KB each but let us say 6 KB for fun. That's 60 KB you load into memory. I think we'll survive this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Zing Zing x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #3730

October 2013
    738 Posts
    Let us say you just create 10 skins (one for each number from 0 to 9). They'll be around 3 KB each but let us say 6 KB for fun. That's 60 KB you load into memory. I think we'll survive this one.
    Alright, I guess. It's just that some time ago I read, on the dev wiki, that using skinfamilies is actually a perfromance hit and shouldn't really be favored. But that likely doesn't matter for these really small textures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Russian Federation Show Events

11. Post #3731
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    4,326 Posts
    but that only lets them have the numbers 0-9 doesn't it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Waterfox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #3732

October 2013
    738 Posts
    but that only lets them have the numbers 0-9 doesn't it?
    Ahm, you make three such models with random 0-9 numbers and parent them to a soldrier's back, thus allowing for any three-digit combination.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

13. Post #3733
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    4,326 Posts
    Ahm, you make three such models with random 0-9 numbers and parent them to a soldrier's back, thus allowing for any three-digit combination.
    wouldn't just one 0-9 texture and a script to put it on their back be more efficient though?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Waterfox United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #3734
    March 2015
    425 Posts
    Remember my previous post about how I thought the unused cover/fire animations for the Citizen/Combine could be re-implemented, and how they were originally implemented through actbusy? Well, I've been looking through the animations and this just doesn't make sense. There are currently three existing parts of each cover animation in the retail animations: the 'getting into cover' sequence, the 'idle in cover' sequence, and the 'getting out of cover' sequence; there is no 'firing' animation where the NPC fires while out of cover, but we can assume this exists but was removed from the animations (there is, however, a similar 'shooting' animation for the Citizen/Metropolice set of Standoff animations.) However, the Alyx cover-shooting actbusy animations are structured differently: there are animations for getting in and out of cover, but the 'peeking out' and 'shooting' animation are a single animation, and the actbusy loops that animation repeatedly for a set amount of time before forcing the NPC out of the actbusy. With this type of implementation the NPC doesn't actually shoot at enemies, it's just animated to shoot in the general area of where enemies are supposed to be. Due to the scope and scale of the old HL2 concepts and the leak, I believe that Valve would never have implemented the cover system this way; it would get painfully obvious very fast that the NPCs were just pre-animated to shoot in a certain direction. Thus, this is probably not the way the cover animations were used.

Which brings me to an alternative way these animations could have been implemented and could be re-implemented, one that I think is far easier and far better in terms of both usage and believability. I was looking through the npc_citizen animations again and I noticed that the "Standoff" set of animations were extremely similar in terms of setup to those of the unused cover animations. Both have animations for going into and out of cover, hiding in cover, and presumably momentarily exiting cover to fire off a few shots. It was similar enough to the point where the shooting animation for both were pretty similar in terms of stance. That got me to thinking: what if the unused cover animations were once used as part of a Standoff sequence for cover nodes? It could specify which direction the NPC should be facing, and the NPC would play the cover animations while popping out and firing at enemies. This makes sense for a few reasons. For one, this would make it so that the NPC would have the ability to actually aim and fire at enemies, instead of being forced through an animation to shoot at a certain area. Another thing would be that this would allow the NPC to stay in cover and fire from cover indefinitely, unlike the actbusy which forces NPCs out after the sequence is finished. This also fits in with the way the Barney 'Streetwar' cover shooting sequence was animated, where Barney pops out and takes precise shots. While this would look stupid if used by NPCs who would fire in such a pattern regardless of where the enemies are (which is the case with actbusys), this would fit in with the NPC's ability to freely aim in a custom shooting animation with Standoffs, and most likely the unused cover shooting animations as well.

This is my idea; what if we modified the Standoff feature and the info_hint_node entity to support the unused cover animations (for left, left crouch, right, right crouch), where they'd use the Standoff SMG firing animation for actual shooting? Unlike my previous idea I think this is a far better way of implementing the cover system for both Combine Soldiers and Rebels, and I feel like this turn out to be much better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #3735

October 2013
    738 Posts
    wouldn't just one 0-9 texture and a script to put it on their back be more efficient though?
    Well, for one, a soldier's back has certain curvature so I'd do a central number model and two latteral models. Plus, it won't matter since the textures will only be loaded once.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Firefox Russian Federation Show Events

16. Post #3736
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,445 Posts
    Remember my previous post about how I thought the unused cover/fire animations for the Citizen/Combine could be re-implemented, and how they were originally implemented through actbusy? Well, I've been looking through the animations and this just doesn't make sense. There are currently three existing parts of each cover animation in the retail animations: the 'getting into cover' sequence, the 'idle in cover' sequence, and the 'getting out of cover' sequence; there is no 'firing' animation where the NPC fires while out of cover, but we can assume this exists but was removed from the animations (there is, however, a similar 'shooting' animation for the Citizen/Metropolice set of Standoff animations.) However, the Alyx cover-shooting actbusy animations are structured differently: there are animations for getting in and out of cover, but the 'peeking out' and 'shooting' animation are a single animation, and the actbusy loops that animation repeatedly for a set amount of time before forcing the NPC out of the actbusy. With this type of implementation the NPC doesn't actually shoot at enemies, it's just animated to shoot in the general area of where enemies are supposed to be. Due to the scope and scale of the old HL2 concepts and the leak, I believe that Valve would never have implemented the cover system this way; it would get painfully obvious very fast that the NPCs were just pre-animated to shoot in a certain direction. Thus, this is probably not the way the cover animations were used.

Which brings me to an alternative way these animations could have been implemented and could be re-implemented, one that I think is far easier and far better in terms of both usage and believability. I was looking through the npc_citizen animations again and I noticed that the "Standoff" set of animations were extremely similar in terms of setup to those of the unused cover animations. Both have animations for going into and out of cover, hiding in cover, and presumably momentarily exiting cover to fire off a few shots. It was similar enough to the point where the shooting animation for both were pretty similar in terms of stance. That got me to thinking: what if the unused cover animations were once used as part of a Standoff sequence for cover nodes? It could specify which direction the NPC should be facing, and the NPC would play the cover animations while popping out and firing at enemies. This makes sense for a few reasons. For one, this would make it so that the NPC would have the ability to actually aim and fire at enemies, instead of being forced through an animation to shoot at a certain area. Another thing would be that this would allow the NPC to stay in cover and fire from cover indefinitely, unlike the actbusy which forces NPCs out after the sequence is finished. This also fits in with the way the Barney 'Streetwar' cover shooting sequence was animated, where Barney pops out and takes precise shots. While this would look stupid if used by NPCs who would fire in such a pattern regardless of where the enemies are (which is the case with actbusys), this would fit in with the NPC's ability to freely aim in a custom shooting animation with Standoffs, and most likely the unused cover shooting animations as well.

This is my idea; what if we modified the Standoff feature and the info_hint_node entity to support the unused cover animations (for left, left crouch, right, right crouch), where they'd use the Standoff SMG firing animation for actual shooting? Unlike my previous idea I think this is a far better way of implementing the cover system for both Combine Soldiers and Rebels, and I feel like this turn out to be much better.
    Can you code? Do you need help implementing this? It sounds really really cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

17. Post #3737
    March 2015
    425 Posts
    Can you code? Do you need help implementing this? It sounds really really cool.
    I can't code, so I need people to help test this out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

18. Post #3738
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,758 Posts
    I never saw the previous post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

19. Post #3739
    March 2015
    425 Posts
    Copied from the HL discussion thread:

So I figured out how the cover system used to work in Half-Life 2 before Valve scrapped it, and then re-implemented it for Episode 2.

In the actbusy.txt files, I found that Alyx has entries like these:

"Alyx_CrouchHide_01"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "CrouchHide_01"
    "entry_sequence" "CrouchHide_01_enter"
    "exit_sequence" "CrouchHide_01_exit"
    "min_time" "0.0"
    "max_time" "0.0"
    "interrupts" "BA_INT_NONE"
    }

"Alyx_HideWall_AB"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "alyx_LeanWall"
    "entry_sequence" "alyx_HideWall"
    //"exit_sequence" "alyx_hackPowerBox"
    "min_time" "0.0"
    "max_time" "0.0"
    "interrupts" "BA_INT_NONE"
    }

"Alyx_Injured_WallLean"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "injured_rest1_idle"
    "entry_sequence" "injured_rest1_in"
    "exit_sequence" "injured_rest1_out"
    "interrupts" "BA_INT_DANGER"
    }
    "Alyx_Blindfire_Left"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "blindfire_left_action"
    "entry_sequence" "blindfire_left_entry"
    "exit_sequence" "blindfire_left_exit"
    "min_time" "12.0"
    "max_time" "12.0"
    "interrupts" "BA_INT_SIEGE_DEFENSE"
    }
    "Alyx_Blindfire_Left_High"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "blindfire_left_high_action"
    "min_time" "12.0"
    "max_time" "12.0"
    }
    "Alyx_Blindfire_Left_Low"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "blindfire_left_low_action"
    "min_time" "12.0"
    "max_time" "12.0"
    }

"Alyx_Blindfire_Low"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "blindfire_low_action"
    "entry_sequence" "blindfire_low_entry"
    "exit_sequence" "blindfire_low_exit"
    "min_time" "10.0"
    "max_time" "10.0"
    }
    "Alyx_Blindfire_Low_High"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "blindfire_low_high_action"
    "entry_sequence" "blindfire_low_entry"
    "exit_sequence" "blindfire_low_exit"
    "min_time" "10.0"
    "max_time" "10.0"
    }

"Alyx_WallCover_Right"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "cover_right_action"
    "entry_sequence" "cover_right_entry"
    "exit_sequence" "cover_right_exit"
    "min_time" "0.0"
    "max_time" "0.0"
    }
    "Alyx_WallCover_Low"
    {
    "min_time" "0.0"
    "max_time" "0.0"
    }
    "Alyx_WallCover_Low_Timed"
    {
    "min_time" "0.0"
    "max_time" "6.0"
    }
    "Alyx_Guard_Low"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "crouch_aim_pistol"
    "entry_sequence" "stand_to_crouchshoot"
    "exit_sequence" "crouchshoot_to_stand"
    "min_time" "0.0"
    "max_time" "0.0"
    }
    "Alyx_Guard_Low_Timed"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "crouch_aim_pistol"
    "entry_sequence" "stand_to_crouchshoot"
    "exit_sequence" "crouchshoot_to_stand"
    "min_time" "6.0"
    "max_time" "10.0"
    }
    "Alyx_Guard"
    {
    "busy_sequence" "pistol_idle_aim"
    "entry_sequence" "pistol_idle_aim"
    "exit_sequence" "pistol_idle_aim"
    "min_time" "0.0"
    "max_time" "0.0"
    }

As you can see, each actbusy calls for three animations. The entry, the action, and the exit. Through Hammer, I found out that if you make Alyx do this actbusy, she ends up going into cover, looping the action a few times (blindfiring, for example) and then exiting cover.

So, from all the animation files from the Combine Soldiers and the Citizens, we have animations for entering and exiting cover that could be used for new actbusy entries. Now all we need to do is find (from the HL2 leak) or create a "blindfire" or "shooting from cover" animation, add it into the entry, and voila, we have an actbusy where citizens and combine can take cover and fire from cover.

The blindfire has Alyx randomly shoot in the general direction of the supposed enemies. It's all a scripted motion, but the gun during the animation actually fires bullets that can do damage to enemies. I'm not sure how it works, but if we study the Valve animations we might be able to reverse engineer it to make it work for new animations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

20. Post #3740

December 2011
    1,091 Posts
    So I tried slapping the gasmask texture onto Samuel

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Malaysia Show Events Funny Funny x 19Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #3741
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,445 Posts
    Does anyone know how to rig a vehicle? For example an APC?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

22. Post #3742
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,230 Posts
    Does anyone know how to rig a vehicle? For example an APC?
    Is a bit tricky as most of the times, the phymodel gives problems, but yes, is doable. Why you ask?

You wanna try rig the old Conscript APC into the new one?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Spain Show Events

23. Post #3743
    March 2014
    506 Posts
    don't you just love it when people steal your map for use in their moddb mod

http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-hy...-consul-office

you know how i know it's my map?

the small metal grate stairs aren't in the original wc mappack map, and they are in his video. it is also using the retail citadel soundscape, and the crappy chairs have been removed (also in my map). the skybox is also the fixed sky_c17_05, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that, because maybe he got a fixed version somewhere else? i dont know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 13Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #3744
    March 2007
    861 Posts
    Looks like yet another le old story mod that only exists because it's easier to use some already prototyped maps and is probably never going to be released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

25. Post #3745
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,445 Posts
    Is a bit tricky as most of the times, the phymodel gives problems, but yes, is doable. Why you ask?

You wanna try rig the old Conscript APC into the new one?
    Yea I decompiled the retail apc and the rig is really basic and the animations and poseparameters are pretty self explanatory but there are certain things that I'm unsure of when it comes to creating the proper bone-hierarchy.

Edited:

I think I also got frustrated with it and gave up too early because I think I made a stupid mistake. I was hoping someone else has either done it before or knows of a tutorial just to make things a bit easier.

26. Post #3746

November 2014
    92 Posts

the small metal grate stairs aren't in the original wc mappack map, and they are in his video. it is also using the retail citadel soundscape, and the crappy chairs have been removed (also in my map). the skybox is also the fixed sky_c17_05, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that, because maybe he got a fixed version somewhere else? i dont know
    It's funny that he has the nerve to state that it took "a lot of time" to make.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPhone Safari Japan Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

27. Post #3747
    October 2013
    116 Posts
    yeah, thoes kinds of people piss me off, when i was working with the RTB team ( no longer apart of them) we encountered a member who was basicly advertising the project and claiming he worked on the team , he never had any connections with us, and he claimed he made content, why do people do this shit is there anything to gain from stealing and claiming its yours ? do they feel happy knowing that there living a lie?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #3748
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    699 Posts

He might have used your map but his entire mod is based on Missing Information. Everything from models to the binaries.

yeah, thoes kinds of people piss me off, when i was working with the RTB team ( no longer apart of them) we encountered a member who was basicly advertising the project and claiming he worked on the team , he never had any connections with us, and he claimed he made content, why do people do this shit is there anything to gain from stealing and claiming its yours ? do they feel happy knowing that there living a lie?
    Because there's always someone gullible enough to believe them or not care. We've seen this a hundred times with Missing Information.

People might think we're very harsh towards people that use our content without our permission but some moron tried to use some of our original content in a Greenlight mod, and I can assume you I will do everything in my power to fuck you in the ass if you try shit like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #3749
    October 2013
    116 Posts
    cus ive seen that hl2 beta revived WITCH IS JUST FUCKING MI with the leak models patch and mi maps running in axle project ,WHY DOSE NO ONE ASK FOR CONTENT

Edited:

allso jackman XD i was not aware your working on INDEEP, i thought it was like a ripoff of shaft but then i saw the fixed alpha hud :P, anyway how is that mod going? and im not that use to hl modding cus its been ages but if you want re-riged alpha models, i can get a freind to hel p :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox Australia Show Events

30. Post #3750
    March 2014
    506 Posts
    only the first 3 images are up-to-date (on the moddb page), the rest are old and not worth looking at

about the re-rigged alpha models, i already got somebody who can do it, and either way, most of the models have already been done for me by him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events

31. Post #3751
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,511 Posts

http://hl.gamebanana.com/skins/141703
    http://www.moddb.com/games/half-life...runt-pre-alpha

I've released that model I showed off earlier this summer in this thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #3752
    July 2013
    1,314 Posts

Finally got around to baking and texturing the beta truck, I can put up a DL if enough people are interested
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #3753
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,445 Posts

Finally got around to baking and texturing the beta truck, I can put up a DL if enough people are interested
    I'm sure tons of people are interested, I know I am!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #3754
    October 2013
    116 Posts
    wait uaredead, arnt you workig on L4D0?

35. Post #3755
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,511 Posts
    wait uaredead, arnt you workig on L4D0?
    whats a L4D0?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #3756

December 2011
    1,091 Posts
    I thought the HSarge model doesn't have a gun at all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Malaysia Show Events

37. Post #3757
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,511 Posts
    I thought the HSarge model doesn't have a gun at all?
    it doesn't have a gun, it also doesn't have animations.
    I added on the gun and animations so it could be usable in-game, along with the mesh fixes I provided

38. Post #3758
    October 2013
    116 Posts
    *left 4 dead 0

39. Post #3759
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,511 Posts
    *left 4 dead 0
    never heard of it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #3760
    November 2010
    1,893 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events