1. Post #721
    ~It's only fun if you get a scar out of it~
    May 2012
    1,856 Posts
    As to the whole testinglol getting unbanned scenario, I don't see that happening
    He says Max banned him because "He didn't like his attitude". I only have his word on that but if it's true I don't see him being unbanned any time soon. He's also pretty pissed off about it, I don't see him begging for one either.
    I really hope that's not true. If it is, it was a bad move by garry to mod such a power hungry user.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #722
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,974 Posts
    I really hope that's not true. If it is, it was a bad move by garry to mod such a power hungry user.
    See: the multiple times Ned has been banned for very debatably off-topic posting and then the five or so pages of bans that resulted in people asking why he was banned.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #723
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,232 Posts
    Turns out there is a new bug (or exploit?) where you can load 3 rockets in the Beggar Bazooka, hold them indefinitely due to reload animation cancelling and then fire them all at once without worrying about overloading. And Valve is away on break
    This is a pretty old glitch (it's always been there AFAIK) and it's more harmful than useful. Sometimes, when firing single rockets, this glitch occurs and the rocket doesn't come out when you intend it to, instead the reload animation resets. In competitive environment, you might easily die because of this malfunction.

And if you keep loading rockets, misfires also don't occur, and that's also a bad thing. Misfires make the most powerful rocketjumps in the game and not having them is like being a sitting duck. Angry duck spitting rockets, but still a sitting duck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Slovakia Show Events

4. Post #724
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    3,295 Posts
    Guys, will that VPK thing break all skins?
       Stupid question i know, but, also, did it came out yet?   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Lebanon Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #725
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,596 Posts
    Break currently installed skins, yes, but the same skins can be installed again with no changes needed in a subfolder in the custom folder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #726
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    I really hope that's not true.
    It's not.

Edited:

You can just move out all your currently installed mods to tf/custom/folder_of_legacy_addons_that_are_not_in_vpk_archiv es/ [insert materials/models here]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 France Show Events Dumb x 2Optimistic x 2Useful x 1Friendly x 1Funny x 1Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #727
    November 2012
    514 Posts
    What if valve made a new blog post saying Bill's Hat and Earbuds were going to be retired, just to see how dumb traders are?
    SELLING THIS RARE THEMED BILLZ HAT CUZ BILL IS A RETIRED GREEN BEAR-A AND HE'S "RETIRING" THE ZOMBIE SPEE-SEAS. AS I SAID THIS HAT HAS BEEN RETIRED SO YO CAN'T CRAFT IT OR UNCRATE IT ANYMORE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #728
    Flamboyant Homosexual
    September 2011
    2,456 Posts
    This sums up a good chunk of what people think of TF2 turning out, thought it was a good hit.

In other news, has there been word on when this Steampipe (I assume that's the Mod update folder thing) is planned to be released to TF2 non-beta?

EDIT: to those posting late, the comic strip was only posted like....5 hours ago. You Time Lords you...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 16Late Late x 3 (list)

9. Post #729
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    17,817 Posts
    1940s?

He must mean 1960s cold war spy movies, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #730
    Prolonged exposure to
    my opinions can be
    mentally scarring or in
    some cases FATAL
    Dennab
    April 2011
    15,508 Posts
    In other news, has there been word on when this Steampipe (I assume that's the Mod update folder thing) is planned to be released to TF2 non-beta?
    Either from this week or next week going by the estimate from ~2-3 weeks ago, in order of likeliness of verification (least>most).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #731
    June 2012
    727 Posts
    It's not.
    In that case, please un-ban our mascot; you can re-ban him if he does something worthy of it. Asking for a temp-ban and not knowing you'll get perma'd isn't really a fair reason, and the majority of site users would rather he be back.

That's the whole point of being an admin, isn't it? Making the site better for everyone? (within whatever constrains Garry has set)

Also, banning people for making one item code give-away post, and telling them to do it in some give-away thread is quite rude; they may only want to share with the people of this thread who they interact with regularly. I suppose they could attach an arbitrary "I speculate the box opens tonight" onto the post to avoid off-topic, but at that point it makes no difference either way.

TL;DNR: un-ban testinglol and chill, just ban the obvious idiot trolls and leave the M-U-S-T guys to do their thing within this thread series, do whatever outside if it.

(User was banned for this post ("Off-topic, not the place to discuss bans" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree x 16Winner x 1Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #732
    LIVE XXX TF2 ITEMS
    November 2011
    2,091 Posts
    MaxOfs2d: Making facepunch a better place for MaxOfS2d.

"I speculate the box opens tonight"

(User was banned for this post ("Off-topic, not the place to discuss bans" - Craptasket))

(User was banned for this post ("Extended - you've been banned for modsass already" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 20Friendly x 4Winner x 2Zing x 2Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #733
    September 2009
    1,405 Posts
    maxofs2d pls

Edited:

Also, where can we publicly "discuss" bans?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

14. Post #734
    Gold Member
    September 2012
    4,057 Posts
    People mentioned that Valve was on break. Do we know when they'll be back?

Also, where can we publicly "discuss" bans?
    Don't even bother.
    People have asked a number of times and I've yet to see a mod answer. From what I gather that's just their way of saying "Don't question our authority".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #735
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    17,062 Posts
    People mentioned that Valve was on break. Do we know when they'll be back?
    Since it's their yearly week-long vacation, I'd expect it to be over in a week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #736
    Since it's their yearly week-long vacation, I'd expect it to be over in a week.
    Valve Time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

17. Post #737

October 2010
    1,681 Posts
    Age of Empires 2 HD promos next week? Wololo Sapper?

y/n?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

18. Post #738
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    17,062 Posts

y/n?
    No amount of tweaks would balance a sapper that swaps the team affiliation of buildings. It'd be more broken than the Red-Tape Recorder if it were ever added.

A sapper reskin that goes "wololo" I would have no issue with, despite my loathing of reskins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

19. Post #739

October 2010
    1,681 Posts
    Wasn't there something similar in TFC?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

20. Post #740
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    17,062 Posts
    Wasn't there something similar in TFC?
    Spy didn't have sappers in TFC. Only grenades.

The entire reason the sappers were added to TF2 was because the grenades were removed and Spies needed a way to confront sentries
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

21. Post #741
    January 2012
    469 Posts
    No amount of tweaks would balance a sapper that swaps the team affiliation of buildings. It'd be more broken than the Red-Tape Recorder if it were ever added.

A sapper reskin that goes "wololo" I would have no issue with, despite my loathing of reskins.
    I suppose you could make it target but not actually shoot or harm enemies could be an interesting idea to create a diversionary tactic. IDK how it could work though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

22. Post #742
    Keep calm and JAG
    April 2009
    3,085 Posts

y/n?
    Imagine seeing a (once) friendly sentry outside spawn find religion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

23. Post #743
    January 2010
    1,718 Posts
    Spy didn't have sappers in TFC. Only grenades.

The entire reason the sappers were added to TF2 was because the grenades were removed and Spies needed a way to confront sentries
    Thinking about it, an hybrid between a grenade and the sapper would be pretty cool: a throwable weapon that damages nearby buildings, like when the spy throws a sapper in Meet the Spy, but with a longer range and some downsides
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events

24. Post #744
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,232 Posts
    some downsides
    Well, good luck with those.

25. Post #745
    The Great Thief and defense attorney's assistant's assistant
    January 2012
    3,671 Posts
    Speaking of reskins, they need to make a Medi Gun that plays the last few seconds of MEDIC! when you Uber. Maybe a Medi Gun with a speaker attached. If you don't want to discriminate against the other mediguns, make it a misc or an action item. I'd gladly pay 10 bucks for that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

26. Post #746
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,232 Posts
    ...or you can just download a mod for that

27. Post #747
    The Great Thief and defense attorney's assistant's assistant
    January 2012
    3,671 Posts
    ...or you can just download a mod for that
    The point of cosmetics is to show them to others, silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

28. Post #748
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,957 Posts
    Age Of Empire promos idea:
    Monk's staff: reskin of the pain train.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #749
    May 2012
    788 Posts
    What if it worked like this?
    * Sapper is placed
    * For 6-8 seconds it just sits on the building and fizzes, dealing no damage. Building is disabled. (same time interval as destruction on stock)
    * If the building is unsapped in time, nothing happens. If the timer runs down, the building is converted to a friendly building of the same type at level 1. Unlinked teleporters are simply destroyed, to avoid figuring out how that works (not that stealing teleports would be all that useful, I'd imagine).

In other words, make it more of a gamble - a full sap nets your side a free building, but anything less is totally worthless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #750
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    17,062 Posts
    The point of cosmetics is to show them to others, silly.
    The great thing about cosmetics isn't wearing them, it's showing everyone online that I am.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

31. Post #751

Well that's weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #752
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,232 Posts
    When it comes to cosmetics, you can't see them. Usually.

But sound mods... That's a different story entirely.

33. Post #753
    January 2012
    469 Posts
    Age Of Empire promos idea:
    Monk's staff: reskin of the pain train.
    Pfft. Who needs stats? Just make it all class barring Spy and Engie of course!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

34. Post #754
    Tyrannosaur Fisherman Extraordinaire (Not Game Fish)
    May 2009
    5,329 Posts
    A Cho Ko Nu cosmetic & weapon for Sniper
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

35. Post #755
    Dreams of chronic and sustained critglows.
    December 2010
    17,817 Posts
    * Sapper is placed
    * For 6-8 seconds it just sits on the building and fizzes, dealing no damage. Building is disabled. (same time interval as destruction on stock)
    * If the building is unsapped in time, nothing happens. If the timer runs down, the building is converted to a friendly building of the same type at level 1. Unlinked teleporters are simply destroyed, to avoid figuring out how that works (not that stealing teleports would be all that useful, I'd imagine).

In other words, make it more of a gamble - a full sap nets your side a free building, but anything less is totally worthless.
    whoa

where have you been
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #756
    September 2009
    1,405 Posts
    Heeey Max, the place to discuss bans is sadly locked.
    Time for a new thread, may I suggest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #757
    May 2012
    788 Posts
    whoa

where have you been
    My motherboard departed the land of the living a few weeks back. It took some time to get things back online.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #758
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    13,232 Posts
    * Sapper is placed

This would be horrible to play against. Just imagine you're running to your precious sentry so it doesn't convert, hit it once, but the sapper finishes it's job and the sentry shreds you to pieces (even if it's level 1, there's not much you can do)

Maybe it could work with further nerfs; if any weapons could damage the sapper, and if it had -50% health. So any class could unsap it with any weapon, or with one melee swing. This way the sapper would become useful for assimilating evacuating nests that are close to being ran over by your team. But if you tried it on a nest after stab'n'sapping the engineer, it wouldn't work as long as there is at least one of his teammates present to unsap it.

Also, it would be fancy if it sapped more like red tape rather than sapper. So it would gradually take the building down to level 1, then wait a couple seconds like this. When someone whacks off the sapper, the building would revert to it's original level automatically. A sort of visual thing, since as a result you'll end up with a level 1 building.

39. Post #759
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,189 Posts
    * Sapper is placed

I'd make it a minisentry

imagine the havoc you could wreak

also, for teleporters maybe make them switch entrance/exit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #760
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,671 Posts
    Update inbound...

Edit:

Very interesting TF2 no longer uses the Souce shared files (ie. Source 2007 Shared Materials, Source 2007 Shared Models, Base Source Shared Materials, etc...)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 13Funny Funny x 1 (list)