1. Post #1241
    OK, guys, I need some help finishing a puzzle idea for my Pathfinder game.

Basic gist: four chambers, themed after each of the four classical elements. In each, there is a key to the door to the next, but it's kept away somehow by some sort of puzzle. They can get around the puzzle, but doing so will break open an elemental summon gem, making them fight the appropriate elemental (and with a team that just hit second level, a CR3 elemental is going to be a bit of a rough fight).

The water room and air room I've figured out already. In the water room, the key will be floating at the top of a 20ft water jet, coming from a pipe with the elemental gem mounted on it. They can freeze the jet with Ray of Frost, letting the key drop, or they can just beat on the pipe until it's deflected enough for the key to fall as well, but that will break the gem and trigger a fight.

The air room will be much the same, except using a powerful gust of air instead of water. The jet is weak enough for a simple Mage Hand or thrown grappling hook+rope to pull the key down, but they could also just break the gem again and fight an air elemental.

For fire and earth, I have ideas, but I'm not sure they'll work. Fire, the obvious thing is to put it in a roaring gas flame, but how to turn it off? I suppose I could just have them jump in and grab it (one has a gem that eliminates 10pts of damage from the first fire, acid or frost damage taken that day), but that feels clumsy. Ray of Frost might work, but I already used that as a solution in a much better way, I think. Should I just make the puzzle with no solution, and see what they come up with?

Earth, I was thinking to somehow have it in a tree, with the solution being "burn it down". But I can't think of a plausible way for the gem to be broken by cutting the tree, but not break by burning it. An alternate idea, more in keeping with the "earth" part, is to have it buried a few feet below the ground. But that seems a bit counter-intuitive, if every prior one was "up" and this one is "down". Or do you think proper hinting could make it work? Ie. lay out every chamber identically, but in this one have the elemental gem on a small pedestal where the key should be, with the key buried just below it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1242
    Spends his cash on looking flash and grabbing your attention
    January 2012
    10,017 Posts
    I got something drawn of one of my recurring characters~ Although it's kind of furry since she's a gnoll but I'm going to post it anyway.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

3. Post #1243
    that guy that wants to fuck the robot the most
    August 2009
    9,102 Posts
    Woo. Starting a campaign with my friends soon. Gonna be the first time in years since I played.

Gonna be a gnome wizard specializing in air/lightning magic this time, instead of a human cleric. I'm pretty much using one of my old character designs for it though. It's not exactly designed as a gnome, more of a short, cartoonish humanoid, but he fits the description for gnomes the best.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

4. Post #1244
    Gold Member

October 2008
    2,426 Posts

Basic gist: four chambers, themed after each of the four classical elements. In each, there is a key to the door to the next, but it's kept away somehow by some sort of puzzle. They can get around the puzzle, but doing so will break open an elemental summon gem, making them fight the appropriate elemental (and with a team that just hit second level, a CR3 elemental is going to be a bit of a rough fight).

The water room and air room I've figured out already. In the water room, the key will be floating at the top of a 20ft water jet, coming from a pipe with the elemental gem mounted on it. They can freeze the jet with Ray of Frost, letting the key drop, or they can just beat on the pipe until it's deflected enough for the key to fall as well, but that will break the gem and trigger a fight.

The air room will be much the same, except using a powerful gust of air instead of water. The jet is weak enough for a simple Mage Hand or thrown grappling hook+rope to pull the key down, but they could also just break the gem again and fight an air elemental.

For fire and earth, I have ideas, but I'm not sure they'll work. Fire, the obvious thing is to put it in a roaring gas flame, but how to turn it off? I suppose I could just have them jump in and grab it (one has a gem that eliminates 10pts of damage from the first fire, acid or frost damage taken that day), but that feels clumsy. Ray of Frost might work, but I already used that as a solution in a much better way, I think. Should I just make the puzzle with no solution, and see what they come up with?

Earth, I was thinking to somehow have it in a tree, with the solution being "burn it down". But I can't think of a plausible way for the gem to be broken by cutting the tree, but not break by burning it. An alternate idea, more in keeping with the "earth" part, is to have it buried a few feet below the ground. But that seems a bit counter-intuitive, if every prior one was "up" and this one is "down". Or do you think proper hinting could make it work? Ie. lay out every chamber identically, but in this one have the elemental gem on a small pedestal where the key should be, with the key buried just below it?
    I wouldn't make the Fire puzzle require taking damage to solve, it lacks consistency with the others (why make that one gem/key require that when it could have been done with all of them?).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

5. Post #1245
    I wouldn't make the Fire puzzle require taking damage to solve, it lacks consistency with the others (why make that one gem/key require that when it could have been done with all of them?).
    Yes, that was one of the main reasons I don't like that option as a puzzle solution.

Hmm... maybe have the fire room after the water room, and let them just carry water in and dump it on the flames? Kind of lacks elegance, but it might work...

Besides, they're a very combat-focused group (I've thrown CR3 encounters at them and they handled them). I give them maybe two minutes of trying to solve the puzzle before someone says "fuck it, roll initiative, I'm smashing it".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #1246
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    15,489 Posts

sneak peak of our first DH session, or "How I learned to shut up and babysit these psychopaths"

yes that's blood and grey matter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

7. Post #1247
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    5,182 Posts
    Rear no longer has reason to criticize my shitty corpse drawing.

Edited:

Speaking of which, if you're not one of those who has been graced with the wonder of my shitty maps, here's what I'm talking about.

i m the greetist artest
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

8. Post #1248
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,646 Posts
    Our first session pretty much consisted of us going into a bar and pretty much yelling a code phrase for our contact letting everyone know we're agents for someone, shooting a guy in the head for cooperating with us, and allowing four ganger bodies to rain down on the streets below.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1249
    January 2012
    10,017 Posts
    Yes, that was one of the main reasons I don't like that option as a puzzle solution.

Hmm... maybe have the fire room after the water room, and let them just carry water in and dump it on the flames? Kind of lacks elegance, but it might work...

Besides, they're a very combat-focused group (I've thrown CR3 encounters at them and they handled them). I give them maybe two minutes of trying to solve the puzzle before someone says "fuck it, roll initiative, I'm smashing it".
    Put them in a tesseract shaped dungeon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

10. Post #1250
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,317 Posts

I could go on about the exalted game I played last year or I could just say that this pretty much sums up our beach episode session
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #1251
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    4,281 Posts

Make sure the doors aren't wood, though.

I had a lot of fun charging through the doors with my barbarian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

12. Post #1252
    January 2012
    10,017 Posts
    Make sure the doors aren't wood, though.

I had a lot of fun charging through the doors with my barbarian.
    That's always fun, when the rogue's messing around with lockpicks and screwdrivers, put your 16+ strength score to use by smashing whatever's in the way.

13. Post #1253
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,164 Posts
    So Dark Heresy was last night, my first ever attempt to run a game of anything and I have to say I think it could have gone a lot worse. I learned a lot of about structuring a mission, what to prepare ahead of time and what I think I can reasonably improvise on spot and I think next time I'll be a little better at handling group dynamics.

In regards to what actually happened, the Acolytes wound up potentially blinding someone, pissing off an entire Gang, announcing their code phrase to everyone, shooting their best source of information, inventing a street gang that doesn't exist with the worst name imagineable (Bluebirds rule!), attempting to lie to the Adeptus Arbites inside of a precinct house, attempting to soothe the pain of the machine spirit in a rusted Elevatus, scaring some Junkies witless, trying to steal the murder weapon from a crime scene "because I want two guns", getting shot at, lamenting the death of a TV during said gunfight, causing mass disturbances by raining corpses down onto a street and getting an innocent man and his shop burned to the ground.

It's going to be a hell of a debrief.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

14. Post #1254
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,349 Posts
    So Dark Heresy was last night, my first ever attempt to run a game of anything and I have to say I think it could have gone a lot worse. I learned a lot of about structuring a mission, what to prepare ahead of time and what I think I can reasonably improvise on spot and I think next time I'll be a little better at handling group dynamics.

In regards to what actually happened, the Acolytes wound up potentially blinding someone, pissing off an entire Gang, announcing their code phrase to everyone, shooting their best source of information, inventing a street gang that doesn't exist with the worst name imagineable (Bluebirds rule!), attempting to lie to the Adeptus Arbites inside of a precinct house, attempting to soothe the pain of the machine spirit in a rusted Elevatus, scaring some Junkies witless, trying to steal the murder weapon from a crime scene "because I want two guns", getting shot at, causing mass disturbances by raining corpses down onto a street and getting an innocent man and his shop burned to the ground.

Sounds like a beginning level Dark Heresy adventure alright.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

15. Post #1255
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,164 Posts
    It'll be interesting to see what happens if they keep up the wanton destruction and murder when in Imperial High Society or something, or if they ever get involved in internal Inquisitorial politics.

Edited:

And by "interesting" I mean I'm dreading it, as it'll probably end badly for the Acolytes.

16. Post #1256
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,349 Posts
    It'll be interesting to see what happens if they keep up the wanton destruction and murder when in Imperial High Society or something, or if they ever get involved in internal Inquisitorial politics.

Edited:

And by "interesting" I mean I'm dreading it, as it'll probably end badly for the Acolytes.
    You should have seen our party's successful conquests in the name of the Emperor. Blowing up an entire decrepit cathedral to kill a small cult. Accidentally drawing a small army of murder servitors to an Arbites precinct. Turning an industrial compound into a crater because of some Dark Eldar. Fun times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hungary Show Events

17. Post #1257
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,164 Posts
    You should have seen our party's successful conquests in the name of the Emperor. Blowing up an entire decrepit cathedral to kill a small cult. Accidentally drawing a small army of murder servitors to an Arbites precinct. Turning an industrial compound into a crater because of some Dark Eldar. Fun times.
    Nooooo you're giving them ideas

18. Post #1258
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    9,159 Posts
    Nooooo you're giving them ideas
    There were all sorts of things, those are the first few missions. They also blew up an entire apartment complex by accident, summoned a Demonhost by accident, fought a Tyranid Warrior in a gladiatorial arena and won, fought the same Warrior in the middle of a Sump Trench (and won) and threw a grenade in the middle of a 3 by 3 metre square room.

They also stole a delivery truck and raced it down a motorway, spilling recaf beans all over the road on the way to pointing a gun at a simple dock worker and breaking a massive industrial elevator.

They also cut a Demonhost in half in one-slash with a basic sword.

19. Post #1259
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,164 Posts
    Reading people's stories about DH you really have to wonder as to what kind of person the Inquisition recruits to go on these missions.

20. Post #1260
    itty bitty silly pretty little pony
    September 2011
    10,688 Posts
    "The buildings might be gone, but so is the heresy"

-every dark heresy player ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #1261
    January 2009
    9,159 Posts
    Reading people's stories about DH you really have to wonder as to what kind of person the Inquisition recruits to go on these missions.
    Only the most capable of course.

Edited:

"The buildings might be gone, but so is the heresy"

-every dark heresy player ever
    The Heresy is never gone, it just changed locations. The sentence is always the same however, mass property damage and arson.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

22. Post #1262
    January 2012
    10,017 Posts
    Given the amount of arson and property damage I've caused in games that give you far less access to things like meltabombs and such, Dark Heresy sounds like my kind of game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

23. Post #1263
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,164 Posts
    Given the amount of arson and property damage I've caused in games that give you far less access to things like meltabombs and such, Dark Heresy sounds like my kind of game.
    Spends his
    cash on
    looking flash
    and burning down
    your fucking house
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1264
    January 2012
    10,017 Posts
    Spends his
    cash on
    looking flash
    and burning down
    your fucking house
    Did I ever tell you about the time I leveled a petrol station with a revolver in a World of Darkness game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1265
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,164 Posts
    Did I ever tell you about the time I leveled a petrol station with a revolver in a World of Darkness game?
    No, although I'm sure it was for a good reason at the time and definetely not just because you were looking for an excuse to explode something.

26. Post #1266
    January 2012
    10,017 Posts
    No, although I'm sure it was for a good reason at the time and definetely not just becuase you were looking for an excuse to explode something.
    I actually fired and missed at a guy who was supposed to be our lead, but I thought they were something supernatural, he happened to be standing in front of one of those caged areas where they keep LPG canisters. No one died and the fire was put out, but not before it spread to the shop and burnt most of it down, so I guess "leveled" is an exaggeration

Edited:

The only time I've caused unnecessary amounts of property damage intentionally was when I burnt down a warehouse in Shadowrun out of being too lazy to clear the building and having white phosphorus grenades I was too damn tempted to use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #1267
    Justin... CUNT!
    February 2008
    1,821 Posts

In regards to what actually happened, the Acolytes wound up potentially blinding someone, pissing off an entire Gang, announcing their code phrase to everyone, shooting their best source of information, inventing a street gang that doesn't exist with the worst name imagineable (Bluebirds rule!), attempting to lie to the Adeptus Arbites inside of a precinct house, attempting to soothe the pain of the machine spirit in a rusted Elevatus, scaring some Junkies witless, trying to steal the murder weapon from a crime scene "because I want two guns", getting shot at, lamenting the death of a TV during said gunfight, causing mass disturbances by raining corpses down onto a street and getting an innocent man and his shop burned to the ground.

My role as the Psyker: To terrify junkies and blind bar women whilst running face first through every door we encounter without inhibition. Hey, we may be getting unwanted attention but any publicity is good publicity.

-Thuglife- Bluebirds 4ever -Thuglife-

28. Post #1268
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    15,489 Posts
    My role as techpriest

Scream when tvs fall, soothe old elevators, awkwardly walk up to people in bars while in my full mechanicus vestiments

And now next section I get to be field medic :o)

Edited:

Rear no longer has reason to criticize my shitty corpse drawing.

Edited:

Speaking of which, if you're not one of those who has been graced with the wonder of my shitty maps, here's what I'm talking about.

i m the greetist artest
    Rear only drew the house outline real quickly, all the mess was my drawing. Look at the sad, dead tv :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

29. Post #1269
    January 2009
    9,159 Posts
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?...255&highlight=

This thread also details the shenanigans the Facepunch DH group got up to, most of the images are gone unfortunately, but a few key renditions remain!

30. Post #1270
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,764 Posts
    I could go on about the exalted game I played last year or I could just say that this pretty much sums up our beach episode session
    Have I ever mentioned how much I fucking love Exalted?

I might even run an Exalted game, I love Exalted so much.

31. Post #1271
    January 2012
    1,002 Posts
    I hate how in D&D every choice I make somehow fucks us all over.

So there's these 4 giant spires, right? And this harlequin knight is studying the formula to unlife on these spires, right? The logical thing to do was to destroy one of the towers, right?

Turns out the spire was an egg for a giant antimagic snake construct that spouts bad erotic fanfics about Street Sharks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

32. Post #1272
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,299 Posts
    Have I ever mentioned how much I fucking love Exalted?

I might even run an Exalted game, I love Exalted so much.
    Exalted is the shit, I would join that in a heartbeat if I could somehow fit it into my schedule and there was space for another player.

That said, it really blows how you pretty much need a bunch of the supplements because that almost half the core rulebook is dedicated to fluff, which doesn't leave enough space for a lot of the actual content.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #1273
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    6,164 Posts
    One thing as a GM I did not anticipate was the party killing their first and most promising lead. They needed to find someone who was linked with a crime a couple of years before, however their only living lead on the matter was a guy called Big Vern, who now ran the local Gang's protection rackets.

After jumping Big Vern, here's my artistic interpretation of what happened.

I actually had to throw in an extra lead after that otherwise the entire investigaiton would've come to a screeching halt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

34. Post #1274
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,901 Posts
    Multi-classing as a Paladin/Sorceror, bad idea or worst idea?

35. Post #1275
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,764 Posts
    Exalted is the shit, I would join that in a heartbeat if I could somehow fit it into my schedule and there was space for another player.

That said, it really blows how you pretty much need a bunch of the supplements because that almost half the core rulebook is dedicated to fluff, which doesn't leave enough space for a lot of the actual content.
    All of the White Wolf games are very fluff heavy. Most of what makes the game awesome is the lore and stuff; The setting is what makes the game, in my opinion.

Anyway, I was thinking Sundays.

Edited:

Bad Idea.

Paladins use Charisma and offer high saves and special abilities to a sorcerer build...

But as a rule I never multiclass full casters, or you're pretty much crippling your spellcasting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #1276
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,193 Posts

Count me in. If you are doing it, I mean.

that rhymes   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events

37. Post #1277
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,299 Posts
    All of the White Wolf games are very fluff heavy. Most of what makes the game awesome is the lore and stuff; The setting is what makes the game, in my opinion.

I know and I agree, but maybe they should have just made the core book a little bigger than their other games' core books are, because there's just not enough space for everything.

Also damnit, sundays are pretty hard for me to do.

ew ew ew
    dont do it you'll criple yourself even worse than I would ever do
    and holy shit do I sometimes cripple my characters hard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

38. Post #1278
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,764 Posts
    I require/demand/want both of you in the game, so we'll need to work out a day/time everyone can manage.

Edited:

I think I will run the game. We'll start with second edition and do a conversion to third when it comes out.

I have a job though, which means sometimes we may need to reschedule the day/time.

39. Post #1279
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,299 Posts
    I require/demand/want both of you in the game, so we'll need to work out a day/time everyone can manage.

Edited:

I think I will run the game. We'll start with second edition and do a conversion to third when it comes out.

I have a job though, which means sometimes we may need to reschedule the day/time.
    Saturday is always the day that works best for me, I can do sundays though, as long as it's not very late in the evening, since I have school and other things that require me being up fairly early in the morning to catch. Especially these next few weeks because of exams.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

40. Post #1280
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,764 Posts
    Saturday is always the day that works best for me, I can do sundays though, as long as it's not very late in the evening, since I have school and other things I have to be up fairly early in the morning to catch. Especially these next few weeks because of exams.
    I've got a tabletop Black Crusade game I'm in from 6-12 EST ( GMT -5 ) on Saturdays, so it'd need to be like a 12 - 5:30 game if we played on Saturday. On Sunday, any time works for me, but I sometimes work evenings.

Friday I run a tabletop pathfinder game from 6-12 also. Other days work fine, but they're much more likely to need rescheduling.