1. Post #2441
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    12,196 Posts
    First council mission. Progeny.

"Ok" I say as I equip my four best: a Corporal and two squaddies. Each has already snuffed at least three aliens, the French sniper's mustache could give Poirot a run for his money, and they're all in hastily bought nano-fiber vests.

"Let's get it on!"

The mission starts. Some ruined warehouse. Ok, sure. I send the assault and heavy first, using two turns to move the entire squad to the first door that doesn't lead to the map boundary. On the third turn I open the door, and I am greeted with, apart from multiple corpses, two suprisingly angry Thin Men, who appeared to have been playing Noughts and Crosses on one corpse before they were so rudely interrupted.

After they disperse in timely fashion, my turn continues. My immediate choice (upon noticing a third thin man who wasn't activated but is in sight) is to kill the third thin man on the roof. My heavy guns him down with ease, and I am reassured. I move my assault and support forward, flanking and killing the second Thin Man and activating a fourth. My Sniper is put into Overwatch to seal the deal.

I am smirking. If my squad shared my sentiments, they too would be smirking. However, had I seen the faces of the Thin Men, I would have seen their SHIT EATING GRINS.

Their turn begins, and the first Thin Man starts by firing a 7 damage critical hit THROUGH TWO WALLS, instantly killing my Assault. My Heavy and Support panic and both fire in the general direction of the two thin men, the Heavy managing to scrape him for 2 health. The fourth Thin Man, who is quite content sitting just outside of my Sniper's view range, fires at him. He misses, thankfully, and my turn begins.

My Support and Heavy are down for the count, so I pull my sniper to the roof, and then promptly realise that the angle would make his mustache get in the way of his eyes as he tried to aim. Instead, I prompt him to throw a grenade, smoking out the Thin Man. Their second turn begins, and my Heavy is instakilled by the fourth Thin Man. Thin Man 5 and 6 then materialize right to the left of the First and Second's original position, and run their asses into cover that actually works.

My turn begins again, and the Sniper fires at (and misses) the sixth Thin Man. The Support hits the fourth for 2 damage. And so it begins again. The fifth hits the Support for 4 damage, and the fourth hits the Sniper for 3. The sixth Thin Man, now clearly clued into where the Sniper is, shoots through the floor and kills him with a 5 damage hit.

Now I am not smiling. My Support isn't smiling. As my turn ascends, I evaluate the situation: move the Support to some different cover, attempt to shoot a thin man, throw a grenade to kill one, or hunker down. In my anxious state I pick Hunker Down. I almost audibly hear the inner voice of the game as it whispers "you're fucked now shitlord". The final turn begins.

The fourth Thin Man runs away, clearly content with all the pain he has caused. The sixth moves into Overwatch. And then the fifth, with his proverbially massive shit eating grin, crits the Support for 9 damage.

"CODE BLACK."

And so I had to load my geoscape save, because one mission just decimated all of my best (and living) troops. Wow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2442
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,627 Posts
    First council mission. Progeny.

"Ok" I say as I equip my four best: a Corporal and two squaddies. Each has already snuffed at least three aliens, the French sniper's mustache could give Poirot a run for his money, and they're all in hastily bought nano-fiber vests.

"Let's get it on!"

The mission starts. Some ruined warehouse. Ok, sure. I send the assault and heavy first, using two turns to move the entire squad to the first door that doesn't lead to the map boundary. On the third turn I open the door, and I am greeted with, apart from multiple corpses, two suprisingly angry Thin Men, who appeared to have been playing Noughts and Crosses on one corpse before they were so rudely interrupted.

After they disperse in timely fashion, my turn continues. My immediate choice (upon noticing a third thin man who wasn't activated but is in sight) is to kill the third thin man on the roof. My heavy guns him down with ease, and I am reassured. I move my assault and support forward, flanking and killing the second Thin Man and activating a fourth. My Sniper is put into Overwatch to seal the deal.

I am smirking. If my squad shared my sentiments, they too would be smirking. However, had I seen the faces of the Thin Men, I would have seen their SHIT EATING GRINS.

Their turn begins, and the first Thin Man starts by firing a 7 damage critical hit THROUGH TWO WALLS, instantly killing my Assault. My Heavy and Support panic and both fire in the general direction of the two thin men, the Heavy managing to scrape him for 2 health. The fourth Thin Man, who is quite content sitting just outside of my Sniper's view range, fires at him. He misses, thankfully, and my turn begins.

My Support and Heavy are down for the count, so I pull my sniper to the roof, and then promptly realise that the angle would make his mustache get in the way of his eyes as he tried to aim. Instead, I prompt him to throw a grenade, smoking out the Thin Man. Their second turn begins, and my Heavy is instakilled by the fourth Thin Man. Thin Man 5 and 6 then materialize right to the left of the First and Second's original position, and run their asses into cover that actually works.

My turn begins again, and the Sniper fires at (and misses) the sixth Thin Man. The Support hits the fourth for 2 damage. And so it begins again. The fifth hits the Support for 4 damage, and the fourth hits the Sniper for 3. The sixth Thin Man, now clearly clued into where the Sniper is, shoots through the floor and kills him with a 5 damage hit.

Now I am not smiling. My Support isn't smiling. As my turn ascends, I evaluate the situation: move the Support to some different cover, attempt to shoot a thin man, throw a grenade to kill one, or hunker down. In my anxious state I pick Hunker Down. I almost audibly hear the inner voice of the game as it whispers "you're fucked now shitlord". The final turn begins.

The fourth Thin Man runs away, clearly content with all the pain he has caused. The sixth moves into Overwatch. And then the fifth, with his proverbially massive shit eating grin, crits the Support for 9 damage.

"CODE BLACK."

And so I had to load my geoscape save, because one mission just decimated all of my best (and living) troops. Wow.
    People think that MECs are OP.

These people play on normal, if there is three or more Thin Men on a Misssion, they will hit your MEC and kill it.

If there's just two, they will both crit. As far as I know MECs Don't gain the reduced crit chance that most other Mechnaical units have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #2443
    At least I don't have alzheimer's.
    January 2011
    2,356 Posts
    I found that the game got a lot easier through liberal use of Hunker Down. It's really good for units who have a low chance to hit an enemy, but are still in the firing zone.

I tend to use it when faced with a less than 60% hit chance, because overwatch would have even less of a chance, and my soldier is WAAAAAAAAY more likely to survive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #2444
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    498 Posts
    Just finished the chryssalid council mission with 2 MECs, an augmented sniper and assault, and a support. I lost my support because I was one tile too close and when she resurrected I punched the shit out of her. I almost ended up having to leave one of my MECs behind due to it being almost overrun but in the end I got all of them out...again, apart from the support.

Its how she would've wanted to go :c   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #2445
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,726 Posts
    For those of you who hate the sleevless augments, someone found out how to change that.
    http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/411/?...user%3D1&pUp=1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

6. Post #2446
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,637 Posts
    I went into enemy within thinking meld mods would be op, the last few council missions have been traumatising.

Also, bomb disposal is really fucking annoying now without being able to defuse on a sprint. I mean I get why, but it just makes it feel shit.

Edit:

Oh my fucking god what the FUCK thinmen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

7. Post #2447
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    5,533 Posts
    Also, bomb disposal is really fucking annoying now without being able to defuse on a sprint. I mean I get why, but it just makes it feel shit.
    It was a PC version bug originally but I think they should've kept it.

I just don't see why you can run, press a button and then run some more but can't run a bit more and THEN press the button.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

8. Post #2448
    September 2007
    1,737 Posts
    It was a PC version bug originally but I think they should've kept it.

I just don't see why you can run, press a button and then run some more but can't run a bit more and THEN press the button.

Well, you can still do it by using run&gun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events

9. Post #2449
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    8,551 Posts
    I've played three bomb missions since enemy within and they aren't annoying at all, in fact they're still the easiest missions in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2450
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,667 Posts
    "Reduce tutorial voice overs"
    Still asks you every time to play the tutorial mission, and instructs you on bomb missions.
    gg firaxis
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

11. Post #2451
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    8,551 Posts
    Still asks you every time to play the tutorial mission, and instructs you on bomb missions.
    gg firaxis
    The voiceovers for the exalt missions play. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.
    I GET IT IT'S BEEN 7 MISSIONS, I KNOW WHAT TO DO.

12. Post #2452
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,667 Posts
    I also think it's crazy how much your soldiers can miss now, not as in the percentage, just the angle they fire at. Miss the Thin Man, fire at a wall 6 feet above.

The death animations are clunky, you shoot somebody, they recoil/act like they've been shot, then fall over.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #2453
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    12,196 Posts
    gg firaxis
    I turned it on and my game crashed after selecting a base

so I'm just dealing w/ it

14. Post #2454
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,637 Posts
    Thinman in the open, 25% shot from a flanking position.

XCOM calm down

15. Post #2455
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,023 Posts

XCOM calm down
    Yeah it's insane, my sniper colonel with a SCOPE still misses 3 in 4 shots

Edited:

So much for squadsight when you can't hit anything from sniper distance because of low percentage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #2456
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    20,995 Posts
    I still get shot through buildings without windows all of the time when the enemy can't possibly hit me, let alone know I'm there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

17. Post #2457
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,434 Posts
    I think the game is trying to lure me into a false sense of security. I'm not falling for this, game. I've heard of your trickery!

I mean, I'm the one shooting through walls, I'm fairly sure that's not supposed to happen... Well, common sense tells me anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #2458
    Brought to you by the letter B
    December 2006
    10,978 Posts

XCOM calm down
    What were the stats on the info screen? Did it explain why the hit chance was so low?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

19. Post #2459
    January 2011
    2,356 Posts
    I think i'm going to do a run without doing any of the council missions, since those seem to be the ones that completely fuck over my squad. Are they that important?

20. Post #2460
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,637 Posts
    What were the stats on the info screen? Did it explain why the hit chance was so low?
    Nope, an also my soldier was on slightly higher ground and the thinman's cover had been blown up leaving him completely open.

It looked like it was glitched and stuck in a moving animation, possibly just a one off?

21. Post #2461
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    15,874 Posts

XCOM calm down
    You don't get a flanking bonus on enemies in the open, you just get a small aim bonus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events

22. Post #2462
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,118 Posts
    Did they increase the chances of getting recruiting a female soldier over a male one? Because the majority of my personnel are compromised of females and it's kinda odd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

23. Post #2463
    January 2012
    644 Posts
    Did they increase the chances of getting recruiting a female soldier over a male one? Because the majority of my personnel are compromised of females and it's kinda odd.
    I actually noticed that too, on one of my attempts at Classic Ironman I had an XCOM team with just 4 men, the rest were women. Before this expansion typically the opposite was true for me.

24. Post #2464
    December 2006
    10,978 Posts
    Did they increase the chances of getting recruiting a female soldier over a male one? Because the majority of my personnel are compromised of females and it's kinda hot.
    This how I read it the first time, and damn it I'm sticking to it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 11Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #2465
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,689 Posts
    Majority of my personnel has become non-Caucasian. Which doesn't help the fact that one of my troopers from an African country got auto-nickname of "Congo".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #2466
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,263 Posts
    All of my Black support-men are nicknamed "Smokes"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

27. Post #2467
    Japanese Cerberus
    August 2011
    6,208 Posts
    So I just might have the most cost-effective hero mech of all time. Thread, meet Annie.

Annie is a cold-hearted german woman whose expression pretty much never changes. Much so because there's a helmet on her head. I just recently got my 25th mission with her done and...well, the results speak for themselves.

She has slayed more aliens and Exalt scum than I can remember. I know for a fact that she's killed one of almost everything, even Sectopods. Ethereals are coming up and I am kind of worried, but I'm sure she'll pull through in the end. I mean she is a beast of a titan mech pilot.

Hell, she even soloed an abduction mission. Granted it was three floaters and seven Sectoids but on Classic even that much can wreck a lonely mech. Not Annie. It's the aliens that get wrecked.
    She's a fully decorated colonel, too:

- Wall Rose Medal
    - Wall Maria Medal
    - Wall Sina Medal
    - Military Police Medal
    - Recon Corps Medal

She's earned all of them and the bonuses they grant, making her and her jawbreaker left hook pretty much the go-to person when I'm faced with a difficult mission.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 16 (list)

28. Post #2468
    December 2006
    10,978 Posts
    All of my Black support-men are nicknamed "Smokes"
    All part of the 420th division, I presume?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #2469
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,434 Posts
    I like how i have one guy with a Union Jack flag, and then someone else with just a Scotland flag.

Has the game predicted the future?

Said Scottish guy looks a bit like Michael from GTAV.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #2470
    May 2007
    1,671 Posts
    I like how i have one guy with a Union Jack flag, and then someone else with just a Scotland flag.

Has the game predicted the future?

Said Scottish guy looks a bit like Michael from GTAV.
    Its funny they have the UK Flag and the Scottish flag as separate things when the UK flag contains the Scottish flag.

31. Post #2471
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,434 Posts
    Welp, now i can safely say that I've met everyone's favorite enemy.

And the "British" guy was the first to get murdered, twice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #2472
    July 2012
    1,996 Posts
    Fuck i wish i had the money for EW, looks like a really good upgrade
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #2473
    January 2011
    2,356 Posts
    Welp, now i can safely say that I've met everyone's favorite enemy.
    Chryssalids or Floaters?

34. Post #2474
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,434 Posts
    Chryssalids or Floaters?

Well, Floaters haven't been that bad to me, so far. I'm still suspecting that the game is going to throw a massive curve ball at me later. I'll be concerned if i see more than two Chryssalids though.

And, as much as i've not really played much of classic XCOM, i prefer their design to the reboots version.

Maybe it's that shit eating grin they have, like they just know how much of a cunt they are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #2475
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,611 Posts
    I hope somebody makes a mod soon to make gene modded soldiers use regular armor. In my opinion, this doesn't look nearly as cool as this.
    You can give them shoulderguards and knee pads though.

I turned all of my soldiers into Imperial Guardsmen.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #2476
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,152 Posts
    Wait just one minute.

His willpower is way too high for an Imperial Guardsmen, unless a commissar with a laspistol pointed at his head is behind him.

Plus he has a positive k/d ratio. It should be at least 1/100.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

37. Post #2477
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    8,551 Posts
    This reminds me of a glitch in the old x-com where you could take an infected soldier back to base and end up with a player controlled chryssalid.

38. Post #2478
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    9,099 Posts
    Why on earth do sectopods have two attack actions?

Edited:

Wait, 3 attack actions? It just shot 2 of my guys for 16 damage each and then went into overwatch. Did they buff the fuck out of the sectopod?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #2479
    November 2008
    805 Posts
    Wait just one minute.

His willpower is way too high for an Imperial Guardsmen, unless a commissar with a laspistol pointed at his head is behind him.

Plus he has a positive k/d ratio. It should be at least 1/100.
    Well, imperial stormtroopers tend to be less pathetic, right?

Also, do you guys think EW will get a decent discount this christmas sale? By decent, I mean more than 10% off. Maybe it's too soon after release for that, but I don't really have too much money to toss around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chile Show Events

40. Post #2480
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    8,551 Posts
    Also, do you guys think EW will get a decent discount this christmas sale? By decent, I mean more than 10% off. Maybe it's too soon after release for that, but I don't really have too much money to toss around.
    Not likely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)