1. Post #1121
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    14,038 Posts
    http://bindingofisaac.com/post/98656.../isaac-turns-3
    3 years to this day The Binding of Isaac was released on steam and after well over 3 million copies sold it still continues to be played obsessively by its ever growing fan base.
    to celebrate this occasion we put isaac on sale for 90% off! (the cheapest its ever been!).. that’s right you can buy the binding of isaac for less than 75 cents!

but as we all know, you already own it, so think of this as your chance to become a true hero! buy a round of isaac for everyone at the bar! “ISAAC FOR EVERYONE” you’ll scream as you throw steam gifts at your buddy list.
    or better yet, buy copies now then gift them later when its back at full price so you dont look like a cheap ass! either way you should buy more copies so people will like you more!
    —————————————-
    i could go on for days here about the dev of isaac, its meaning and origins in celebration of isaac turning 3… but i think its best done in a video format.
    a while back the guys that made IGTM made a mini doc called Binding of Isaac Origins, as part of the Super Special edition of IGTM. well this week you can see it fo free on youtube!
    im constantly asked about the hows and whys when it comes to isaac, and if you have any burning questions about it, this video should cover them all.
    - the 1st title for the game was Love Sick, and the 1st build was code named “Tears”, the title “Mom” was also considered before settling on The Binding of Isaac.
    - the games title is not only a play on the biblical story of the same name, but also a play on the word structure of The Legend of Zelda
    - the sound when you pick up a key is a play on the same sound in gauntlet, i also did this in smb.
    - the original game took me and Florian less than 3 months part time to finish, it was originally planned to be a free flash game that i was going to sell to a sponsor, but after demoing it to a few other devs they convinced me to release it on steam.
    - steam had suggested the game sell at 9.99, but we set it to 4.99 because i assumed it was far too weird and inaccessible to catch on and i wanted more to play it.
    - the wrath of the lamb expansion was actually started because my wife Danielle 100%ed the game and wanted more content. (she had well over 500 hours clocked in by that time).
    - isaac was originally going to featured 8 bit art, but i decided to go with the hand drawn look to save time. this is why the icon for isaac is an 8bit image.
    - ??? (aka blue baby) is a reference to my 1st “game” dead baby dressup and the mascot called “the blue baby”, also my screen name on newgrounds.
    - there was an item in the Halloween update called “the pumpkin mask” that got cut because i hated it. it can still be seen in game when an item goes into an “undefined” state, but has no function.
    - The Sad Onion was the 1st item ever made. In Isaac’s initial design the game featured only 20 items, almost all were just stat padding items which later became the “boss pool”.
    - Spoon bender is a reference to uri geller.
    - the way isaac wears moms bra is a reference to weird science.
    - the necronomicon is an obvious evil dead reference.
    - a lot of the drug references in he game are references to alice in wonderland, a story the game also mirrors ( as well as mario ).
    - the teleporter is a nod to Spelunky, one of the games biggest influences. (aside from zelda of course)
    - the dead bird comes from a comic i did about my childhood called thicker than water .
    - a lot of isaacs themes reference the movie psycho.
    - the icon for brimstone is an alchemy symbol that means Sulfur
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 8Winner Winner x 4 (list)

2. Post #1122
    July 2011
    328 Posts
    I got two copies of Binding of Isaac, who wants some?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7 (list)

3. Post #1123
    July 2011
    1,229 Posts
    So, uh, looks like Ed forgot about Monday

I like how the posts came in around 7-8 pm originally, then slowly started getting later and later when they came in around 11-12 pm, until the point where it's Tuesday now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

4. Post #1124
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    17,061 Posts
    So, uh, looks like Ed forgot about Monday

I like how the posts came in around 7-8 pm originally, then slowly started getting later and later when they came in around 11-12 pm, until the point where it's Tuesday now
    He lives on the west coast, it's only 10 pm there.

Prepare your faces.

Edited:

Lazarus has arrived (at least once you have 4 soul hearts or more at once).

what does he do? how does he play? im not going to tell you! but i will say he feels like a maggy type character to me…
    :I

BRWN SNKE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #1125
    May 2010
    1,422 Posts
    I expect Lazarus will have lots of soul hearts and few red hearts to start off (I'd even say NO red hearts, due to Lazarus' poor health in the parable). He'll probably also have a starting item that allows generation of soul hearts.

now watch as he's based off of eternal/black hearts   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #1126
    im gay
    July 2007
    3,452 Posts
    I expect Lazarus will have lots of soul hearts and few red hearts to start off (I'd even say NO red hearts, due to Lazarus' poor health in the parable). He'll probably also have a starting item that allows generation of soul hearts.
    But that would just be an easier version of ???. I hope he's going to be more unique than that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

7. Post #1127
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,540 Posts
    But that would just be an easier version of ???. I hope he's going to be more unique than that.
    Edmund said Lazarus "feels like a Maggy character" whatever that means. High health? Tanks damage? Something like that.

Remember this hidden image?

I think that might be Azazel.
    Yes it is Azazel, someone on reddit unblurred it and it looks pretty much like Azazel. I'll search for the unblurred image now.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

8. Post #1128
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,280 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 21Funny Funny x 3 (list)

9. Post #1129
    January 2012
    407 Posts

Next Monday might be the items released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

10. Post #1130
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,890 Posts
    red mom can go eat a dick
    seriously, both satan and isaac are no match for me but I die on fucking red mom for a second time now (each time I had more than 6 hears WTF???)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #1131
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,523 Posts
    seriously, both satan and isaac are no match for me but I die on fucking red mom for a second time now (each time I had more than 6 hears WTF???)
    red mom is the easiest for me. Blue mom can fuck off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

12. Post #1132
    July 2011
    1,229 Posts
    Red mom is so easy. Just keep walking left and right while shooting. If anything, I have a harder time with regular mom, and trying to avoid that explosion damage at the end is so unforgiving.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1133
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,890 Posts
    Red mom is so easy. Just keep walking left and right while shooting. If anything, I have a harder time with regular mom, and trying to avoid that explosion damage at the end is so unforgiving.
    she constantly puts me off balance by using that projectile shooting hand (while i'm not even in proximity for it to trigger), and the fucking stomp is delayed and I get hit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #1134
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,935 Posts
    -snip-

15. Post #1135
    May 2010
    1,422 Posts
    What I want from Rebirth is for the Shop music to be as catchy as it is in the original.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #1136
    Memento audere semper- audaces fortuna iuvat.
    February 2010
    6,739 Posts
    Somebody looked into the steam api and saw that, so far, boI:R features 166 achievements
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Winner Winner x 10Funny Funny x 3 (list)

17. Post #1137
    December 2009
    1,504 Posts
    Yes it is Azazel, someone on reddit unblurred it and it looks pretty much like Azazel. I'll search for the unblurred image now.

Edited:

I'm just staring at this and I don't see anything D: is there like a comparison picture or something because that looks like a box is opening lol

18. Post #1138

April 2005
    18,208 Posts
    I'm just staring at this and I don't see anything D: is there like a comparison picture or something because that looks like a box is opening lol
    Look at the text at the bottom lol. It looks like the top half of 'AZAZEL'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #1139
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    17,061 Posts

It helps to have an image that isn't blurred to high hell.

While the text isn't present in this version it's very very clear what letters are being cut off in the blurred one.

20. Post #1140
    October 2013
    1,541 Posts
    Wait, why isn't Eden on the character select screen?

21. Post #1141
    January 2012
    407 Posts
    Wait, why isn't Eden on the character select screen?
    Eden is probably the chest, since he's probably gonna be found from killing moms heart. Blue baby isn't the chest, blue baby doesn't appear on the select menu unless unlocked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #1142
    Hi.
    July 2011
    5,253 Posts
    What's with the normal / hard options? How are they going to work?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

23. Post #1143
    August 2011
    1,031 Posts
    From what I understand, in Hard mode you take 1 heart of damage from all enemies and you get tougher enemies early on

But don't quote me on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #1144
    January 2012
    407 Posts
    http://bindingofisaac.com/post/98202...-the-hardening

If you're too lazy to read, hard mode is basically one heart of damage pre womb, later level enemies, less drops, and no drops from bosses, you can unlock normal items with special hard mode unlocks in hard mode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #1145
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    6,636 Posts
    I'll probably try hard mode for a long time, then eventually switch to normal and just breeze through shit.

26. Post #1146
    Hi.
    July 2011
    5,253 Posts
    I think hard was locked until you finish normal. I could be wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Australia Show Events

27. Post #1147
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,540 Posts
    -Read wrong, very tired-

28. Post #1148

April 2005
    18,208 Posts

I tried searching "binding of isaac animation" and found this guy

for reference:

i think this is the new animator?? The video is over a year old so obviously a few things have changed (Added a tongue, dropped the teeth divisions) but otherwise I'd say it's a pretty good match. Not like it was that hard to guess though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative x 3Optimistic x 1Winner x 1Disagree x 1Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1149
    January 2012
    407 Posts
    Tyrone also tweeted a gameover screen with some new items

There's the heart, crown of thorns, lucky foot, magnet, book of shadows, halo of flies, dinner and stem cells, the little necklace, organ and screw are new.

30. Post #1150

April 2005
    18,208 Posts
    About the cutscenes again, didn't Edmund once say the cutscenes would be done by different people for each one? Or was that just a suggestion he mentioned liking but it being too late to do? I can't remember.

There's the heart, crown of thorns, lucky foot, magnet, book of shadows, halo of flies, dinner and stem cells, the little necklace, organ and screw are new.
    The little necklace is Mom's coin purse. Other two are new though.

31. Post #1151

April 2005
    18,208 Posts
    IDK why some people disagreed with my post when it was pretty obvious it was the same animator but:

Taken from the animator's twitter. Knew it. (As if it was that hard since all the BOI animators I can find have fairly different styles)

Also I found the post that had me confused me over how many animators there are:

http://edmundm.com/post/92641705285/...mbs-warp-zones

this plus Edmund's wording on the previous one seems to suggest all of Rebirth's cutscenes are by this guy, and that the expansion could possibly feature a variety of BOI fan animators each doing a different cutscene. That'd be pretty neat but I guess the expansion would have to be pretty damn big to really take advantage of that. I hope so at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

32. Post #1152
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,540 Posts

The "organ" looks like a 4 leafed clover to me.

Also related because it kinda looks similar to the "organ", what's this red thing on the Hard Mode image?

33. Post #1153
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,890 Posts
    polyphemus + mom's knife + wafer
    the chest couldn't be more easier

Edited:

also, a trap door appeared in an ordinary room for some reason, what caused this?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

34. Post #1154
    im gay
    July 2007
    3,452 Posts

Also related because it kinda looks similar to the "organ", what's this red thing on the Hard Mode image?
    If you're talking about the thing in the middle, it looks like a new enemy. Maybe it's some kind of tentacle that attacks you if you get close or something, either way it looks pretty creepy.

also, a trap door appeared in an ordinary room for some reason, what caused this?

You used the Dead Sea Scrolls, which triggers the effect of a random usable item. In your case, you triggered We Need To Go Deeper (the shovel), which creates a trap door to the next floor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events

35. Post #1155
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,890 Posts
    Oh I forgot I even had those. Must've pressed spacebar by accident
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #1156
    Memento audere semper- audaces fortuna iuvat.
    February 2010
    6,739 Posts

Reminds me of that one Dead Space enemy.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

37. Post #1157
    January 2012
    407 Posts
    If you're talking about the thing in the middle, it looks like a new enemy. Maybe it's some kind of tentacle that attacks you if you get close or something, either way it looks pretty creepy.
    It always could be a later floor enemy too, he IS in hard-mode.

38. Post #1158
    July 2011
    1,229 Posts
    Excited for that blogpost coming today. Hopefully he talks about the new animation guy or the TF2 promos that he didn't get to talk about last week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #1159
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,890 Posts
    Holy shit every time a bomb destroys rock instead of making it fill the gap is literally hitler
    Now I can't buy a 9 volt for my dice because I don't have enough money, and guess what?

Edited:

Man that was one hell of an unlucky run.
    Two (!) kamikaze rerolls in a row, two greeds instead of shops (I got a dollar too!), I forgot about the fucking third meat cube (DO YOU LIKE BOMBS IN YOUR FACE??) and I died at the end of blue mom because something damaged me (???????????).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #1160
    Holy shit every time a bomb destroys rock instead of making it fill the gap is literally hitler
    Now I can't buy a 9 volt for my dice because I don't have enough money, and guess what?

Edited:

Man that was one hell of an unlucky run.
    Two (!) kamikaze rerolls in a row, two greeds instead of shops (I got a dollar too!), I forgot about the fucking third meat cube (DO YOU LIKE BOMBS IN YOUR FACE??) and I died at the end of blue mom because something damaged me (???????????).
    Where was the rock located?

From your picture, I can only assume that the rock was at the very top next to the pit, yet your bomb was sort've in the middle? In order to increase your chances of having the game create a bridge correctly, you gotta place the bomb directly next to the rock, otherwise you coulc easily get fucked.

If you did place it correctly and I'm a big idiot, well, the game can sometimes crap out on you for no reason. Shit happens.

Also: For the Kamikaze issues, pick up the item and then put it back on the pedestal before rerolling it. This removes it from the item pool.

And at the end of the mom fight, there's occasionally a random explosion at about the very middle of the screen...try to end it a decent ways over to the side.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)